Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 01:44 PM   #10111
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Fascinating all this hysteria regards clotting with vaccines. Some may be interested to know that around 10,000 women per annum, around the world, die of clots caused by the common birth control pill. Don't seem to hear much about it though. (Perhaps the ladies are tougher than blokes).

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:11 PM   #10112
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Fascinating all this hysteria regards clotting with vaccines. Some may be interested to know that around 10,000 women per annum, around the world, die of clots caused by the common birth control pill. Don't seem to hear much about it though. (Perhaps the ladies are tougher than blokes).
You'll probably find that's because most women don't know about it, like many of the other serious side effects. Then when women try and talk to their GP about feeling differently on the pill, they're often not believed. Women are cottoning on though and they're starting to ditch the pill in favour of other contraception.

I get the point you're trying to make but please don't use the pill as a comparison because it has enough controversy around it in regards to its place in a modern world.

https://www.thecut.com/article/why-w...rol-pills.html
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-womens-brains
https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/why-...-pill/11274830
https://www.inquirer.com/health/birt...-20191226.html

Edited to add: By the way, a male contraceptive was developed but ditched during trials because 'a small percentage of men experienced side-effects such as mood swings, depression and muscle pain', all of which are side effects for womens' pill but apparently not enough to prevent it to go to market.

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/voices...-trial-ditched

2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #10113
PhilT2

I did see a comparison between the chance of clotting from the vaccine being approx the same as the chance of clots (deep vein thrombosis) that happens on long flights.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #10114
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Is this legit?

This user likes this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #10115
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Is this legit?

That's too funny.

Along the lines of telling your boss you have a medical certificate for being off.. but no, you can't see it... because I don't have to show you. It's private... but you have to believe me,

This sounds like an Australian version of that nitwit in Canada.
Old 12-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #10116
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
You'll probably find that's because most women don't know about it, like many of the other serious side effects. Then when women try and talk to their GP about feeling differently on the pill, they're often not believed. Women are cottoning on though and they're starting to ditch the pill in favour of other contraception.

I get the point you're trying to make but please don't use the pill as a comparison because it has enough controversy around it in regards to its place in a modern world.

https://www.thecut.com/article/why-w...rol-pills.html
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-womens-brains
https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/why-...-pill/11274830
https://www.inquirer.com/health/birt...-20191226.html

Edited to add: By the way, a male contraceptive was developed but ditched during trials because 'a small percentage of men experienced side-effects such as mood swings, depression and muscle pain', all of which are side effects for womens' pill but apparently not enough to prevent it to go to market.

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/voices...-trial-ditched
Ffs if I wanted to cop a ear bashing I would go into the house
8 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 07:58 PM   #10117
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack View Post
Ffs if I wanted to cop a ear bashing I would go into the house
Tough luck I guess? ;)

Old 12-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #10118
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
You'll probably find that's because most women don't know about it, like many of the other serious side effects. Then when women try and talk to their GP about feeling differently on the pill, they're often not believed.
So their female GP doesn't believe them?

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)

Last edited by Raptor; 13-04-2021 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Stop storing the pot with sexist comments, 2nd part of post deleted.
6 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #10119
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Well, the article did say 6% of men left the trial due to issues. More than 1 in 20. My (non-doctor) understanding is, women can try different types to find one that works for them. They trick the body into thinking you're already pregnant. The male one though I guess, just kills off the little buggers. I always wondered where the dead ones go when your tubes have been tied.

There's a Dr.Who episode with lots of his skulls in the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_Sent_(Doctor_Who)

But I'm no doctor.

Last edited by JasonACT; 12-04-2021 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Edit: the things we do for women!
Old 12-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #10120
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure how helpful some of these comparisons are. For example, there are precautions you can take to try prevent DVT when taking flights.

I'd be keen to know what is the hit rate for blood clots and the vaccine at the moment, in general. And then what is the hit rate when you limit it to the age group that it affects? I bet it won't be in the 1 in several millions being thrown around.

Its a bit like road tolls. If you take the entire population as a sample, it probably isn't as bad as if you limited the sample size to under 30s. Verdict? We agree under 30s are at higher risk, and it shows in insurance premiums etc.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:44 PM   #10121
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Not sure how helpful some of these comparisons are. For example, there are precautions you can take to try prevent DVT when taking flights.

I'd be keen to know what is the hit rate for blood clots and the vaccine at the moment, in general. And then what is the hit rate when you limit it to the age group that it affects? I bet it won't be in the 1 in several millions being thrown around.
Replying without researching but isn't DVT essentially a blood clot??

People used to take a course of Aspirin to thin the blood prior to flying. Aspirin is found in most homes and / or easy and cheap to get.

Can't they just advice people to take a course of Aspirin X days before the jab??

But that will cause another dung storm for the anti vaxers and conspiracy theorists to come out and say that the vaccine is not perfected and requires additional support.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 12-04-2021, 09:53 PM   #10122
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Replying without researching but isn't DVT essentially a blood clot??

People used to take a course of Aspirin to thin the blood prior to flying. Aspirin is found in most homes and / or easy and cheap to get.

Can't they just advice people to take a course of Aspirin X days before the jab??

But that will cause another dung storm for the anti vaxers and conspiracy theorists to come out and say that the vaccine is not perfected and requires additional support.
The thing that is concerning the health officials is the type of blood clot it is. Apparently the cases have been giving people clots in the head area (although I think the one in Vic was in the stomach?), where as flight DVT is in your legs.

The vaccine clot is apparently an extremely rare type. One thing I don't get is the low platelet counts that go with it. I thought low platelet count means blood doesn't clot? I dunno, too confused, all I know is there is enough uncertainty to warrant more investigation.
Old 12-04-2021, 11:21 PM   #10123
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://theconversation.com/what-is-...vaccine-158522

"In*rare cases*of thrombocytopenia, clots can develop in the vessels draining blood from the brain. The European Medicines Agency said it had received reports of*169 cases*of brain blood clots in people who had been vaccinated with the AstraZeneca shot."

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 13-04-2021, 12:00 AM   #10124
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure where best to post this so guess here will do as he got a few mentions in this thread...anyone else hearing rumour Dan Andrew's family want him to step down for sake of his health? Tried googling it and only news I can find re him today is that he will be back at work within fortnight
Old 13-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #10125
zilo
BANNED

Looks like the Sputnik V vaccine is kicking some goals...around 40 countries using it now.

The EU approval most likely on Thursday they say...Germany and Austria set to place orders.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/r...21-3?r=US&IR=T

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 13-04-2021, 12:24 AM   #10126
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Looks like the Sputnik V vaccine is kicking some goals...around 40 countries using it now.

The EU approval most likely on Thursday they say...Germany and Austria set to place orders.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/r...21-3?r=US&IR=T
I reckon we've made the phone call to express interest

Also just for interest, Indonesia and Malaysia given the go ahead to produce the chinese vaccine. Apparently efficacy is only 50% in Brazil, but that's still on par with flu shots.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 13-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #10127
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

PM abandons vaccination targets as hopes fade for return to international travel this year

https://www.cimbusinessevents.com.au...vel-this-year/

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #10128
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
PM abandons vaccination targets as hopes fade for return to international travel this year

https://www.cimbusinessevents.com.au...vel-this-year/

This is also going to pose a risk for the planes that are grounded, would be interesting to know what maintenance plans are required for such a long park up unless they rotate them domestically.

FWIW my Mum got her second Pfizer jab the other week, very sore/aches and dropped blood pressure by such a margin she had to over night. She is not a picture of health so who knows what preexisting issues contributed but it knocked her around.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #10129
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think there’s a lot of opinion shopping happening. And the government will capitulate to industry pressures.
Old 13-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #10130
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT April 12th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

17 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.090%.

9 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.007% and active cases 100.

The UK had a higher 3,568 cases yesterday and 13 deaths.

Just over 60.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 285 deaths sees CMR at 1.803%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 137M, the last 1M in 1 day;
Global deaths pass 2.95M, the last 50k in 4 days;

Timor-Leste (99);
Bermuda (118);
Thailand (985); and
Iran (23,311)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Finland and Belgium drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 16-04-2021 at 12:00 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #10131
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Getting up to 3M dead....far out.

Heard on the news that cases globally are sill on the rise, 1M in a day will do that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #10132
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting article.
https://en-volve.com/2021/04/12/pent...-detect-virus/
Old 13-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #10133
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Interesting article.
It's not real, en-volve is akin to the onion

Old 13-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #10134
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Its the video I'm interested in Legit 60 mins channel on youtube with over 1m subscribers. However 60 mins has been known to publish some pretty absurd fake news in the past. I have no doubt this technology is being developed by the major superpowers. The intent on the use is the questionable thing.
Old 13-04-2021, 04:36 PM   #10135
Bossxr8
Peter Car

https://www.deconstructingconvention...-covid-vaccine

This is an eye raiser. Especially the part about previous coronavirus vaccine trials actually making it worse.

In before blah blah blah anti-vax blah blah blah.
Old 13-04-2021, 05:08 PM   #10136
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I like this bit, pasted from the 9 News website:
Quote:
"It is a very rare finding," Professor Skerritt said.
"As I said before, your chances of winning Lotto are much higher."
What about if they offer a Lotto entry with every innoculation?
Old 13-04-2021, 09:34 PM   #10137
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a guy saying those over certain age have one in one million chance of death from clot after vaccination, but have one in one hundred chance of death if they catch Corona. For fair comparison shouldn't they first calculate your chances of catching Corona, then adjust that by one in one hundred?

*Not an anti-vaxxer and both my kids have had all the jabs they are meant to have had so far - I just don't fully trust any of the Corona vaccines (yet).
Old 13-04-2021, 10:02 PM   #10138
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better chance of winning a lottery? Which lottery is he playing?! And its coming from the chief TGA I get what he is saying, but the analogy is silly and will give the anti vaxers ammo.

In Australia and UK its 1 in 250,000 (that sampling population includes age groups not at risk, so its "skewed".)

In Norway, I read its 1 in 25,000 (sample population of under 65s, much more useful).

Which lottery gives you those odds? Remember these are still very early stages. Another case in Australia alone will dramatically drop the odds.
Old 13-04-2021, 10:39 PM   #10139
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

My guess is he's saying "winning *something*/*anything* in lotto"

Which isn't saying much IMO.
Old 14-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #10140
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

All it takes is for someone in the crowd to raise their hand "I won the lottery..."

Yes, it is a stupid analogy. And I believe we have a second blood clot case now.
Closed Thread