Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

Unhappy ABS Troubleshooting

ABS light lit several months ago. Ford pulled the codes whilst replacing the speed transducer, told me it was the front right sensor.

My mechanic just replaced the sensor (I bought a new one from Ford) while doing my brakes, the light is still on.

Is the light just on because Ford hasn't reset it? Or is there something else wrong?

atomiclord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

Just checked, ford did note that it was the RHF 'speed sensor' required (quoted $100 to fit -- what a ripoff!).

Just did an ECU reset. Didn't change the light. It still comes on on start-up and stays on.
Old 18-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
T3man
Banned

After you replace the sensor you then have to reset the system. Most auto electricians have the scan tool and will only charge you the minimum 15 min labour rate (some don't even charge) to clear the codes for you.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You may need to get it rebuilt, I had to have mine done and from memory it cost $250.

They change all the linkages inside the ABS module and put better stuff than factory in.

Believe me it sucks not having abs as I found out one wet, overly excited afternoon :(

If it's just the sensor it will be around 100
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

Well it was originally just the sensor. But my mechanic is completely non-electrical so he doesn't know a thing about resetting the codes etc Good bloke though.

So before I throw away $40, is it really likely that the codes need resetting? Annoying that there's nothing I can do from home.
Old 18-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
james22
With da Warlords

When you disconnect the battery the K.A.M is cleared, so if the light pops back up, there is still a fault somewhere.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

What's a K.A.M?

Yeah when I did the ECU reset the battery was disconnected for over an hour, but the light never even flickered off when I hooked it all back up. Still on all the time.

I do have different branded front and rear tryes, but I think it unlikely they are the problem. The ABS used to work 6 months ago, but then flickered on and off, then just on all the time.

Ford just quoted me $140 to read the codes. What a rip!
Old 18-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's a sensor worth and where's the best place to get some?
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #9
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

They're about $120 from Ford. Really easy just unplug & spanner jobbie.

Nice ride BTW

Last edited by atomiclord; 19-08-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Old 19-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #10
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers. Uhhh Ford... $120 shouldn't be spent lightly but I guess it's the cheapest part of the ABS setup... I wonder if they can be bought non-genuine (probably for about 1/3 of the price) haha.
Old 19-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

I saw 2 S1 front sensors on ebay for $20 a while ago.

Or there's a wrecker in the Bayswater area that had a box of them on a shelf out back last time I was there. Forgot the name...
Old 19-08-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has your car been taken back to ford to have the code removed after the new sensor was fitted?
I will give you a tip after working in dealerships for years. When late model cars have a light come on the dash it leaves a code in the ecu, if a dealer or anybody with a scan tool clears the code but doesnt fix the issue then the light comes back on an loges another code to be cleared, when your mechanic replaced the i imagine the RHF sensor he needed it to be cleared if he sent you on your way he did it half arsed.
The easist thing and sometimes the cheapest take it to the dealer they diogniose it they will want you to pay a diognise time, if you agree to getting the work done they will normally but the diognoise time in the hole job(saves money) then you take it back they fit the part and clear the code all fixed onto the next thing if it dosnt fix the issue put it back on the dealership to diognoise it correctly and tell them you want be paying anything more, I have seen stupid amount of free parts and labour given out through bad diognoise. you wouldnt do it to your mechnic freind but there are diffrent rules for car dealerships.
If you take the car in have them diognoise it(rember the mechanic at a dealership clocks onto you job card before he even picks up you keys and drives it in the workshop he will do this twice if you take it back twice).Pick the car, dont get them to fix it pay some diognoise time, pay your mechanic to do the job them pay ford again to clear the code its doing it the hard way in my opion and really doesnt work out cheaper. Also car dealerships dont like diognoising things to have other mechanics get the job so you may even cop some DHT (dick head tax) on top of you invoice and diognoise/code clearing labour time.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiclord
...there's a wrecker in the Bayswater area that had a box of them on a shelf out back last time I was there. Forgot the name...
I would be very interested to know the name of said Bayswater Wrecker...
Old 19-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #14
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I saw 2 S1 front sensors on ebay for $20 a while ago.

Or there's a wrecker in the Bayswater area that had a box of them on a shelf out back last time I was there. Forgot the name...
buying second hand sensors is a bandaid fix, its like putting second hand belts on your car always a chance you will have to do it again in a short time, i guess it depends on what you think your labours worth and how reliable you want your car to be and if your happy to let the missus run to the shop(remeber abs is there cause most people dont know how to heavy brake in a emergency situation) tell her if the light comes back on and if she has to brake hard not to crash, she needs to hard brake, release for a second, hard brake, release for a second and 5 more times before she crashes to stop the impact from being so bad and she might live.
Im sure the extra $100 will work more into your budget to get ford to fix it right the first time. Perspective is sweet
Old 20-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
The easist thing and sometimes the cheapest take it to the dealer they diogniose it they will want you to pay a diognise time
Ford quoted me $140 to do this when I called them the other day. Stupid since when they replaced my speed transducer they threw the diagnostic in for free, and that whole job cost about $120!

So basically anyone with an OBDII scanner should be able to reset the code and pull any new ones? Ie. Autosparky, Ford, ebay shoppers etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman
I would be very interested to know the name of said Bayswater Wrecker...
I believe it was Allford wreckers. Munt St. 93701840. But I went to half a dozen wreckers that day so I'd call him to double check first! There was a box marked ABS filled with sensors on the shelves on your right as you walk out the back door. But I decided that $120 from ford wasn't too bad instead of risking an old sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
if she has to brake hard not to crash, she needs to hard brake, release for a second, hard brake, release for a second and 5 more times
Called Pulse Braking, or Poor Man's ABS Did it in the pulsar for years haha.

Last edited by atomiclord; 20-08-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 20-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Called Pulse Braking, or Poor Man's ABS Did it in the pulsar for years haha.
Yep. ABS was invented for people who cant tell when the wheels have stopped but the car hasn't
Old 20-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #17
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Yep. ABS was invented for people who cant tell when the wheels have stopped but the car hasn't
haha true that, that was my point ounce explained what abs does most people find the extra cash to buy a new sensor, its like driving with the airbag light on your car will run but your airbag might not deplay and save your life. I guess the price ford quoted would have been more then a local mechanic, its mostly due to geniune parts(with better warranties) labour rates/over heads(you will struggle to find any dealer that can survive without a highly profitable service department, parts are next and a small profit is had at the shiney end of the dealership where they make you feel all warm and cozy.
So I guess if you want to drive a ford in the future then buy geniune and put something back into it, use the free transport they offer, drink from that whoop **** coffee machine. Would have to beat the standing around reading car mags from the 90s and drinking lukewarm black coffee while you wait. You want aftermarket from china or tawain start thinking about modding out your great wall wingle.
Old 20-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #18
atomiclord
I drive way too much...

So help me out here, because I really can't wrap my head around this (first Ford ) -- Ford wants $140 to plug in their scanner to tell me what the code means, then clear the codes, and that's a reasonable price?

Haven't got to actually get any real quotes elsewhere since working 6 days this week (and uni on top!) & voting early has gotten in the way.

Has anyone plugged in an OBDII sensor to their falcon and cleared their 'check engine' type alerts before?
Old 20-08-2010, 11:29 PM   #19
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Many cheapish style generic scan tools will not clear these codes, your mechanic should have a scan tool

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post