Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-05-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 
Question Question that needs opinions

Hey last week my wife brought a new item for our baby daughters room. As both our bins were empty she put the box on next doors rubbish pile (a new house currenty under construction). The next day I recieve a phone call on my mobile from a local number but I quickly hung up as I was in a meeting then 2 mins later a mobile number calls and again I hang up but I send a txt saying I'm in a meeting who is this as the number wasn't on my phone. I wait till after my meeting and call the number back and it turns out it's the local ranger asking me to remove the cardboard box or face a $200 fine. He goes on to tell me that the delivery sticker with the name of the company we got the item from and our order number is how he tracked that this item was ours as he called the company up and gave them the order number and got my address, telephone number etc etc (wife removed our address and name from the box btw).

I tell the ranger I'm currently away on business (which i was) and that I will get the box removed ASAP. He was fairly rude and calling me a liar that I wasn't away etc. Really annoyed the company gave my personal details out to someone i dont know! Anyway my wife removed the box when she got home from work thy day (I had told her previously that day about the ranger). When she got inside their was a message from someone we got the item from asking me to call them back. I returned home today (3 days after this happened) and I listen to the message. Turns out it is the owner of the company (big big company). So being late night shopping I call however she has gone home so I leave a message.

So just need to know of this company is allowed to give my personal details out like this? How do they know he was a ranger? How did they verify he was so and not a burglar? It wasn't a cop so are they allowed to?

Will await this persons call back tomorrow and see what they have to say.. Maybe an apology for giving my details out?

Anyway will Definitley see if this is a breach of the privacy act

Like said the details obtained was my full name, address, mobile and home number, dob

Last edited by FG XR; 12-05-2011 at 11:37 PM.
FG XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Question that needs opinions

Oh dear.....

Would really be following that one up..... You got all the details of the ranger?? I guess you have his number.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Oh dear.....

Would really be following that one up..... You got all the details of the ranger?? I guess you have his number.
Yes I have the mobile number that called me and the landline number that also called me. I thought they normally call off private numbers like coppers ?do?
Old 13-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

That's a breach of privacy...

I've never heard of 'Ranger's' getting involved with construction site bins, but I know the site supervisors get a little cranky when you put rubbish in them, as it's a cost to them blah blah blah. Our old supervisor went around to another job site and gave a developer a spray because his contractors were using the site bins to put wood off cuts in...

The company that supplied that information, all those details - could get into really big trouble doing that, as there are laws to protect a persons privacy...they have breached all of them by giving all that information to a 'ranger'.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Thought so... Will be contacting privacy commissioner today to see exactly what they have done. Btw the first sentence I wrote was meant to say "bins were full" not "bins were empty"... Long trip
Old 13-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
zdcol71
zdcol71

You have asked for opinions and I'm going to suggest that that is about as good as you will get on an issue like this ,from a motoring forum,(that's in no way any disrespect to anyone here).
I would think ,given what you say, you should be looking for something a little more reassuring than opinions...get in touch with your solicitor, or the police at the least.
Old 13-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I would suggest that you start here
http://www.privacy.gov.au/
Old 13-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While it may just be a rubbish bin, im sure plenty of people have dumped items into other peoples bins. It may be a case of you (your wife) was the last straw by dumping into that compays bin.

Have seen people dump stuff in skips on the footpath (Which didnt belong to them).

I doubt its a breach of privacy, as the council is a governing body (of sorts) and people ring council up with all sorts of complaints and your name and address is required to make a complaint and also the name and address of the person your complaining about.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think it was common practice for government workers to call people 'liars'?? And if it happens to be common practice, it's not very professional...

How did you go?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Spoke to the company and they said the site supervisor called trying to get details to which they refused so he called the ranger who came into the store, showed id which then they legally have to provide my information to the ranger as apparently they have same sort of rights as police as I broke the law for dumping rubbish (yeah 1 box!)... Site has only just gone into construction so hardly any rubbish so my wife wasn't adding to someone's dump.. Anyway so kids looked to have tagged some of the brickwork (happens alot here with new constructions as it is a new suburb) so I guess if anything I'll claim that as my "revenge". Btw it is a good suburb not a dodgey one we just have kids who think these new constructions are fun to play in (they are only about 10-14)

Anyway dont think I'll pursue as they owner was really nice about it and sounded genuine. Even said I can bring the box into them for disposal.
Old 13-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

So yeah if you dump a box onto a construction site rangers can get your details just like coppers

Who knew?
Old 13-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #12
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rangers are assigned as "special constables", they have the power to give out infringement notices for dogs, pets, parking, rubbish, etc. I used to be one during my uni days.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Question that needs opinions

Simple answer. Get rid of all your details before dumping/disposing of waste.....

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #14
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly, i used to have to sift through piles of roadside rubbish to find some link to the worm who dumped it, they never appreciated the $$$$ fine when we located their details and paid them a visit.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6
Simple answer. Get rid of all your details before dumping/disposing of waste.....
My wife did. Just didn't think to scrub out the order number and business name
Old 14-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #16
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

This thread would have been full of replies if you'd ended with; "Oh, and the builders scratched my paintwork with a length of timber"

I've been known to dump garbage in council bins before, mainly fish heads from after a fishing trip...