Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
BAXR8_Ute

Default Captiva 5 nudge bar

I know this is probably not the best place to ask for this, but you never know... I've got a 2010 holden captiva 5 (I tried to talk the boss into a territory but she wouldn't hear it) and want to get a nudge bar on it for a bit of protection and to mount some driving lights to. Does anyone happen to know a place that makes them? Holden don't and apparently none are on the horizon. Failing that, can anyone recommend a suitable forum to visit for the answer?

Cheers!

Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
kts350
Starter Motor

Default Re: Captiva 5 nudge bar

try these places..
http://www.rcacc.com.au/product_info...oducts_id=3394

http://www.ama4wd.com.au/index.php?a=results&type=7
kts350 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXR8_Ute
(I tried to talk the boss into a territory but she wouldn't hear it)
Get a new boss!
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #4
BAXR8_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Get a new boss!
Haha she's seen her error now and wishes she listened to me. Bloody women buying a car based on looks

And thanks kts350, but I spoke to ecb and their bar only fits the 7 and not the 5.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

We fitted a falcon nudge bar to a territory - anything can be done if you can fab up the right brackets.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
MattSAU2XR8

I know its probably a bit of a left field answer, but you could probably get most of the benefits in other ways...

If you want more light then you could swap out the globes for Phillips Plus 50's or even Plus 70s which I think they make now, cost less than $100 and the standard reflectors are probably better than cheap driving light ones anyway.

As regards protection, unless you quite literally nudge another car in a car park square on the nudge bar won't help you at all. If you hit anything hard it will bend back and hit the panels, and if its an offset collision then the corner of the car and not the 'bar will take the impact. Given nudge bars for recently released vehicles probably cost about $400+, and you probably won't crash it anyway if you're a careful driver, and you might keep the car for five years, see how much the insurance company will reduce your excess for an extra $80 per year....

That said I was looking for a nudge bar for my own car a while back because I like how they look with some big spotties, just never got around to fitting one :-)

PS: Falcon to Territory adaptation is probably pretty simple since same engine and same front brakes probably means same front rails...
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bloody women buying a car based on looks
If you are going to keep her, at least get her eyes tested. How the hell does she think the captiva looks better than a territory
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8
PS: Falcon to Territory adaptation is probably pretty simple since same engine and same front brakes probably means same front rails...
Maybe but it was a bit trickier given the bar came off an AU ute first!

I'm off to work in about 20 mins and will look up who does bars for the Craptiva.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #9
BAXR8_Ute

Thanks guys. I like the spot and spread available with driving lights compared to standard high beams. We both do shift work and she has to drive home at 2am through roo infested rural areas, the highway is dead straight for about 30km so a decent spot beam would be useful. I'd rather mount them on a nudge bar for stability rather than one of those universal bar things that bolt through the number plate holes. The protection I was referring to was mainly in car parks! She's already cleaned up one one roo and even a bulbar wouldn't have helped minimize the damage that much considering it flung around and smashed the quarter and passenger door. She got a second in the work vehicle with a smart bar. That did nothing. It snapped the centre hoop and came through into the engine compartment. I was looking at some narva ultimas, not super cheap lights, but fairly decent quality. I've used them before on 4wds.

I've found one on eBay that reckons it fits the 5. I've sent them a message. I'm a bit dubious since I haven't seen anyone else market a bar for the 5...
Old 01-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Thanks guys. I like the spot and spread available with driving lights compared to standard high beams. We both do shift work and she has to drive home at 2am through roo infested rural areas, the highway is dead straight for about 30km so a decent spot beam would be useful. I'd rather mount them on a nudge bar for stability rather than one of those universal bar things that bolt through the number plate holes. The protection I was referring to was mainly in car parks! She's already cleaned up one one roo and even a bulbar wouldn't have helped minimize the damage that much considering it flung around and smashed the quarter and passenger door. She got a second in the work vehicle with a smart bar. That did nothing. It snapped the centre hoop and came through into the engine compartment. I was looking at some narva ultimas, not super cheap lights, but fairly decent quality. I've used them before on 4wds.

I've found one on eBay that reckons it fits the 5. I've sent them a message. I'm a bit dubious since I haven't seen anyone else market a bar for the 5...
Narvas are alright, not the best but decent value for money, Ive had a few pairs along with Hella Rallye 1000, and 2000's. I find two pencil beams with decent headlights are better than the combos though. Stick some plus 50's in the headlights and go with a pair of pencils. Unless the headlights on a Captiva are that bad in which case a combo might be better.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
BAXR8_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Narvas are alright, not the best but decent value for money, Ive had a few pairs along with Hella Rallye 1000, and 2000's. I find two pencil beams with decent headlights are better than the combos though. Stick some plus 50's in the headlights and go with a pair of pencils. Unless the headlights on a Captiva are that bad in which case a combo might be better.
Yeah, they're that bad...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Get the best of both worlds like me, I've got a full set of Phillips +100s H7s and H1s for highs/lows and a pair of Hella Rallye 4000 compacts with 100W globes in each (both spread beams though) on my LV Focus, lights up like Jesus decending upon us.

Mounting the driving lights was the issue, because no one makes any damn roobars/smart bars/alloy nudge bars for a damn Ford Focus do they? But what we did was we took off the front lower grille, there is a support beam running across there, we drilled holes into it, put nutserts in it, then used a universal alloy light bar with 2 long M8 hex headed bolts to go into the nutserts to hold it on, its on damn solid, doesn't shake about.

Go to a good auto electrician, they'll have an idea on what to do, decide on your own lights though and bring them in, bring in a universal light bar:

Then basically all you'll pay for is labour and relay/switch and wires.

Just be weary of Narva lights, they're cheap for a reason, Hella are good.

This is my car here:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4...0610941076.jpg

I used that light bar, I got ripped off though at my local hardware place, you can get em for around $50, cost me $90.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-10-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Nudge bar for a Captiva?. Sounds like a fair swap to me...