Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
newi

Default Fiesta burning Oil - Common Fault?

Hey guys,

My Mum has a 2010 Fiesta manual and it seems to have developed an appetite for oil.

It had its first 3000k check at which my old man requested that the dealer change the oil (he's a bit old school when it comes to running in). They checked the oil at about 10,000k and it wasn't even showing on the dipstick. They filled the oil up and put it down to a dodgey dealer!

Its not not far away from its 15,000 service and they have just checked the oild again and in 3 weeks the oil is now 1/2 down on the dipstick.

Is this a common thing for the Fiestas? Or is this one 'special'? What do you suggest we should do?

Thanks guys,

Paul

newi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if the dealer put synthetic oil in at 3000...
Old 19-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #3
newi

Sorry I am not really familiar with the different oils. So the factory fill is non-synthetic and synthetic oil is not recommended for the first 15,000k?
Old 19-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by newi
Sorry I am not really familiar with the different oils. So the factory fill is non-synthetic and synthetic oil is not recommended for the first 15,000k?
The factory spec oil is made specifically to help the engine wear in. After a certain time you can put synthetic oil in which I found made the engine run a lot smoother.

I had synthetic oil put in upon my request at the 3,000km service and my car doesn't guzzle oil? Not sure buddy, perhaps they put the wrong oil in, might be best to take it back to the Ford Dealer for them to look at?
Old 19-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Some dealers will put in any old oil, regardless of what the logbook says.
I've always used Caltex Edge sport 5-30w fully synthetic, & don't use a drop between services.
Old 19-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could be a chance its got a small leak somewhere?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 01:04 AM   #7
Fi.ES.TA

Yeah doesnt sound good mate mines done 55,000klm and had 4 oil changes
and not lost a drop between changes.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 12:51 AM   #8
newi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
could be a chance its got a small leak somewhere?
I don't think it does as it doesn't leave any dribbles on the garage or at work and around the engine looks pretty clean... Back to the dealer it goes.
Old 25-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
small_ford
Starter Motor

I have a Focus in NZ with the same 1.6 engine (not VVT though). Over 10,000km the oil level goes from the top mark on dipstick down to close to the bottom mark - I top it up with about 300ml of oil before it reached the bottom indicator. The oil is Castrol Magnatec 5w-30. The engine has covered 130,000km. I would consider that normal for the mileage, when it was younger it used some oil but not as much. From what you say there appears to be a problem. I would record your concern with the Ford dealer in writing now, so there is a record of the issue. They can initially check for a leak. Then, the only way to measure what is happening is to have the oil changed, check it is at the top level, then check the level every week or so, and record the level. Write it down so you have a record, take photos if possible. Then, when you have say 3-6 months of data (depending on the mileage covered0, if there is a problem - i.e the level is constantly dropping, you need to approach the Ford dealer with the data stating that this is a defect that you want repaired under the warranty. What they do to rectify will depend on their diagnosis of the problem. That's just my thoughts, hope it helps.
small_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post