Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
EL_Fairmont

Default What's WRONG !!!!!?

Something Odd's been happening with the electrical system lately.

A few days ago, the car started blowing the same 15 A fuses that controls (I can't think of it now) but whatever it is, you can't start the car if the fuse is blown (top left hand side of the fuse box in an EL, I'm not sure what it is). So far it's blown this fuse twice.

Then, 2 days ago, my sunroof wouldn't work (it's rigged up the central locking, and it was working fine at the time)... 15 minutes later after I drove through a car wash, it worked perfectly fine and still does to this very minute....

LAST NIGHT, I'm driving on the Geelong road and the cruise control wouldn't work unless I turned the headlights (and parkers) off.

I dunno what the problem is, but .. all the lights work fine, windows, climate, dash instruments etc... so, what the hell's going on ?

EL_Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
efgiar
rofl copter

earth problem id say. grab a gregories and find out where they all are and make sure they are good

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
DJ1979
and then some

If it makes you feel any better, I have an ED Wagon that lights up all brake and reversing lights if i have my foot on the brake OR if i put the thing into reverse, and it developed overnight.

I figure its a trip to an Auto elec, electrics confuse the crap outta me.
DJ1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #4
ORSMEB
Steve

Yeah, I agree with efgiar. A bad earth connection is normally the problem... have fun.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
EL_Fairmont

I haven't had a chance to get it checked out yet,

What's worse is, when I brake my parker lights come on....

WTF is wrong O.o that doesn't sound like an earth issue, it sounds like a fuse/wire issue. Any ideas ? I won't be able to see an auto elec before monday :(
So I was hoping I could fix it over the weekend, I noticed when I put my foot on the brake with the ignition turned OFF, but with the key still in the ignition... the ignition lights will come on and there's a stranger ticking noise coming from under the bonnet (fuses maybe?)

Any Ideas guys?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
efgiar
rofl copter

have u changed any globes in ur tail/brake lates latly? that can cause it, otherwise it will probably be an dearth in the boot.

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

agreed.....what can happen is your tail light globes short.........as you brake it powers the tail light circuit - guess whats connected to same circuit.....you guessed it - your parkers.

you may even have a blown tail light / stop light globe.........and the filament can be draped across the other...ive seena ll kinds of wierd crap

then there is butchered trailer wiring - some mofo thought he was a genious when he added the trailer plug to my car.......spliced in and taped shut all the wires.....no solder and not much tape!
they moved around and shorted out causing me all kinds of grief.... indicators coming on with brake lights, cruise control not working with headlights on arrgh...glad i fixed that problem up
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
EL_Fairmont

HAH !

Was it expensive to fix ?

Quote:
have u changed any globes in ur tail/brake lates latly? that can cause it, otherwise it will probably be an dearth in the boot.
Yeah, I've replaced both tail light globes... twice but I haven't replaced my middle high mount stop light (that's blown)..

Last edited by EL_Fairmont; 03-02-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #9
LUXO_8
windsor user

naw, not really....i was trying to trace why my cruise control wasnt working, someone on here suggested the stop/tail globe, so i changed that, and thats when the indicator started coming on............
so someone else suggested the trailer loom......i traced it back to where it was joined in to the main rear lamp loom and found the dodgyness........ yeah i laughed....

rewired it in propperly myself and havent had a problem since
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
EL_Fairmont

Sweet,

I'll replace both tail light globes again (and the high mount one) and I'll try to trace back any wiring, the only thing I can think of is the fog lights I've had one there for the past year, maybe the wiring is starting to become a bit dodgy.

SHYTE !

My car has wiring (factory I think?) for a trailer... but that hasn't been touched in the year and a bit that I've owned the car....could something of knocked it around and made it turn dodgy ? :

Last edited by EL_Fairmont; 03-02-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
EL_Fairmont

Alright, I've had a look and at least I've got brake lights working but: In summary here goes:

• Cruise control doesn’t work if the parker/low beams are turned on

• Brake lights won’t light up if the tail lights are switched on

• Putting foot on brake pedal, with the parking lights on (without key in the ignition) turns the ignition on

• Parker lights switch on when brake pedal is depressed
* When I put my foot on the brake, with the parker lights turned on but the car turned off, there is a ticking noise coming from under the bonnet (the fuse box, I think).

Recent happenings:
• Tail light on right hand side blown, replaced twice
• Two, instrument fuses have blown in the past month
• Foglights installed running off the parker lights, have been for the past year, all of it is soldered apart from the switch, where the wires are joined together and taped up TIGHT.
* Car does have trailer connection installed but that hasn't been touched since it was bought....
Old 05-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #12
EL_Fairmont

OK
It went to the auto elec today and I cannot believe what the cause of it was....

Some idiot replaced one of the brake light globes with an indicator globe, causing it to bump and grind against one of the terminals.... screwing up the whole wiring system in the car.

Cost to fix: 40 bucks.

Ahh, the dilemma's been solved.