Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Default Speed cameras illegal (front shots)?

I've just returned from a couple of weeks in NSW where I did a lot of Kms (And spied heaps of fixed speed cameras)
All with their appropriate warning signs before you get to them (unlike here!)
Anyhow...... I was informed by a pretty good source that you needn't worry about the ones that are FACING you if your over the limit, only the ones that snap your rear after you had passed?... Something to do with privacy laws?
I believe it had something to do with a truckie that was snapped speeding, with a female passenger (NOT his partner) who took them on in court , stating that the photo was an invasion of privacy & had destroyed his marriage?
Is this correct??

2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not any more. School area speed cameras go both ways. The previous argument on frontal shots was 1. The flash going off in the drivers face at night. 2. Privacy. But the fact that red light cameras had the ability on some intersections to take frontal shots - and the fact that it was never challenged by the motorist, has let the government to start taking frontal speed camera shots.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
I've just returned from a couple of weeks in NSW where I did a lot of Kms (And spied heaps of fixed speed cameras)
All with their appropriate warning signs before you get to them (unlike here!)
Anyhow...... I was informed by a pretty good source that you needn't worry about the ones that are FACING you if your over the limit, only the ones that snap your rear after you had passed?... Something to do with privacy laws?
I believe it had something to do with a truckie that was snapped speeding, with a female passenger (NOT his partner) who took them on in court , stating that the photo was an invasion of privacy & had destroyed his marriage?
Is this correct??
I've heard the same, and I know of a couple of huge accidents when truckies have crossed to the wrong side of the road to avoid getting caught by fixed cameras, and hit an oncoming vehicle.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #4
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They definatley take frontal shots - just check out the stats on the RTA website.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
hotrod dude

i have seen cops that sit in pplz driveways when they r not home and then get u for speeding or something they r illegally parked so they shouldn't be allowed to give anyone fines
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Not any more.
while you are indeed correct, not all fixed cameras actually take front on shots, even though the warning signs are on both approaches to the camera. To find out if in fact the camera takes pics in both directions, look for 3 lines across the road in each lane under a metre apart for the whole 3 lines... these are the sensors in the road that trigger the camera.
Old 25-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil cv8
while you are indeed correct, not all fixed cameras actually take front on shots, even though the warning signs are on both approaches to the camera. To find out if in fact the camera takes pics in both directions, look for 3 lines across the road in each lane under a metre apart for the whole 3 lines... these are the sensors in the road that trigger the camera.
Yes!.... I was also told that, and took note travelling down the Pacific Highway.
I did not see ONE that had the 3 lines in the approach (oncoming) lane.
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 25-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RTA camera link

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA Website
How do the digital cameras work?
The fixed speed cameras detect the speed of vehicles by using piezo electronic detectors embedded into the road surface. These piezo detectors deflect slightly when a vehicle is driven over the detectors, which then triggers an electronic device that accurately measures the speed of the vehicle. If the speed of the vehicle exceeds the legal limit then a digital picture is taken of the offending vehicle.

What does the camera record?
If a vehicle is detected speeding, a digital image of the vehicle is recorded onto a disk from which all details regarding the speeding vehicle can be extracted. The image clearly shows the colour, type, make and number plate of the vehicle. Fixed digital speed cameras have the capacity to measure speed in both directions.

Digital images also include the following particulars:

Date of the offence
Time of the offence
Location details of the camera which took the picture
Direction of travel of the offending vehicle
Speed of the offending vehicle
Speed limit applying to the road where the camera is situated
The lane that the vehicle was travelling within
Other security and integrity parameters
How do the fixed speed cameras work in multi-lane situations?
Fixed speed cameras can monitor one to four lanes in the same direction. In the Eastern Distributor, northbound for example, cameras have been installed and configured to simultaneously monitor all four lanes. This is achieved by the installation of piezo detectors for each lane and of a wide angle lens camera, which monitors all lanes, and a telephoto lens camera, targeting each traffic lane. Therefore it is clear which vehicle has been detected. Vehicles cannot avoid camera detection by straddling lanes.

Can the cameras identify a speeding vehicle in a line of traffic?
A speeding vehicle can be detected and photographed even if it is within a line of vehicles. The angle at which the cameras are set enables pictures to be taken even if another vehicle is in close proximity.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 25-08-2005, 06:35 PM   #9
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin

extract from attachment

What does the camera record?
If a vehicle is detected speeding, a digital image of the vehicle is recorded onto a disk from which all details regarding the speeding vehicle can be extracted. The image clearly shows the colour, type, make and number plate of the vehicle. Fixed digital speed cameras have the capacity to measure speed in both directions.
Mr Puplick and privacy council have made authorities very shy of utilising front on shots, as a general rule you can assume front on shots will not not be utilised. But risk it at your own peril!

The utimate solution isn't found in evading cameras, it will be found by lobbying legislators harder than the lunatic fringes.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently (and I don't know this for sure) modern speed cameras use an ultra violet flash that is invisible to the human eye, therefore a camera flashing in your face is no longer a problem. Again, I don't know how much truth there is to this (and having never been snapped by a speed camera I wouldn't have a clue if they flash or not).
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2005, 07:42 PM   #11
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason I believe they do take front on shots is that Mr Scruby and others are pushing for front motorbike plates as they claim riders are getting away with not being booked by cameras.

Pedestrian Council - Number Plate Rort

RTA Data

Note Column 8 (for motorbike front plates) - It seems they are allowed to take front on shots, this is the money they miss out on by bikes not having front plates

Old 25-08-2005, 07:46 PM   #12
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Quote:
The only reason I believe they do take front on shots is that Mr Scruby and others are pushing for front motorbike plates as they claim riders are getting away with not being booked by cameras.
As founder of the "Pedestrians shouldn't act like idiots" society of AFF, I say that the less motorcyclists who cleave their heads in half, the better, and Mr Scruby can get stuffed.
Old 25-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:

Pedestrian Council - Number Plate Rort

RTA Data

Note Column 8 (for motorbike front plates) - It seems they are allowed to take front on shots, this is the money they miss out on by bikes not having front plates
I think your answering this wiht "money they miss out on" like any revenue scheme the aim is for the quick dollar, and the stats shown do not fully detail the situations where the photos were obtained. And like anything else proffered up by HS it's more than likely some doctored data to back his fanaticism. Am I prepared to speed through 20 front on cameras to back my assumption. not on your life. My luck I'd find that one last highway patrol car actually doing his job and watching the traffic. :
Old 26-08-2005, 07:53 AM   #14
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Apparently (and I don't know this for sure) modern speed cameras use an ultra violet flash that is invisible to the human eye, therefore a camera flashing in your face is no longer a problem. Again, I don't know how much truth there is to this (and having never been snapped by a speed camera I wouldn't have a clue if they flash or not).
Not in NZ they dont, The big orange light in the speed camera boxes makes a big orange flash at night (I was behind somebody that was snapped).
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 08:21 AM   #15
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
I know the camera south bound at the Sydney Airport runway underpass uses a flash. Scared the crap out of my one night on the way to pick up the missus. I was travelling north (into town) when it went off and wondered where the hell the lights flashed at me came from and was looking out for a head on.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure the fixed cameras in the ACT only go one way and can only get you you from the back unless your turning.

Camera vans however can do both ways during the day but at night can only do back or front.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #17
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In NSW the cameras are triggered by a series of piezo sensors embedded in the roadway. Most only work in one direction, however I have seen at least one with sensors embedded in the road on both sides of the road. I can't remember exactly where though, may have been on the far north coast I think. Whether these strips would need to remain visible after resurfacing works I don't know.

Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 01:03 PM   #18
Aussie Pete

Quote:
He he LOL. So, I should just stand next to one and get a good tan... :

One smilie for you: :
Old 26-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #19
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
In NSW the cameras are triggered by a series of piezo sensors embedded in the roadway. Most only work in one direction, however I have seen at least one with sensors embedded in the road on both sides of the road. I can't remember exactly where though, may have been on the far north coast I think. Whether these strips would need to remain visible after resurfacing works I don't know.

Regards,
Tote
The NNSW ones on the Pacific & Bruxner around Lismore, Ballina, Alstonville, & Byron all only have the 3 lines on ONE side of the road. This is the very area where it was brought to my attention.
Old 26-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #20
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
I was informed by a pretty good source that you needn't worry about the ones that are FACING you if your over the limit, only the ones that snap your rear after you had passed?... Something to do with privacy laws?
Well if this actually has any truth and it is due to privacy laws then I propose a AFF sting operation. Lets modify a convertible (say a cheap Ford Capri) to have the rear passenger seats facing in reverse. We can then get a male and female member to sit in the back whilst the driver speeds past a camera. A story can then be invented that that the rear male passengers marriage has been destroyed and the court shall deem it illegal due to privacy to also photgraph the rear of vehicles. Foolproof.

Old 26-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #21
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Quote:
Well if this actually has any truth and it is due to privacy laws then I propose a AFF sting operation. Lets modify a convertible (say a cheap Ford Capri) to have the rear passenger seats facing in reverse. We can then get a male and female member to sit in the back whilst the driver speeds past a camera. A story can then be invented that that the rear male passengers marriage has been destroyed and the court shall deem it illegal due to privacy to also photgraph the rear of vehicles. Foolproof.
Can I be the chickie babe? :evil_laug

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2005, 06:45 PM   #22
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

yeah thats true, ive tested the speed camera at valley heights, but im just scared that one day they will change it so they can take it front on, but if im not mistaken those concrete barriers block the view of the number plate in the overtaking lane.
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #23
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you quite alright there?
Old 29-08-2005, 01:26 AM   #24
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I've heard the same, and I know of a couple of huge accidents when truckies have crossed to the wrong side of the road to avoid getting caught by fixed cameras, and hit an oncoming vehicle.
: Do you have proof of this, or is this the bloke that told you?

Cheers, Danny
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #25
ShallowCrossing
Starter Motor

Just from a Victorian perspective, I'm not aware of any fixed speed cameras that operate both ways because they are all located on divided roads. I know the mobile speed cameras can operate both ways. That privacy defence hasn't been used in Victoria and I imagine the simple answer would be that if the people are in a public place then photos are permissible.
ShallowCrossing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 01:49 PM   #26
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Guys, a few posts had to be deleted from here because of references to speeding and quotes of it. I know its hard to keep from talking about speeding in reference to speed cameras, but lets keep it sensible ok?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #27
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
Guys, a few posts had to be deleted from here because of references to speeding and quotes of it. I know its hard to keep from talking about speeding in reference to speed cameras, but lets keep it sensible ok?
Oh god... the bastard's now a MOD!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

:hihi: : :sm_headba _2: :dr_Evil:

Quote:
Old 29-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #28
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Oh god... the bastard's now a MOD!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !

:hihi: : :sm_headba _2: :dr_Evil:
Thats Mr Barstard, have you no respect for authority!!
Old 29-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #29
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Thats Mr Barstard, have you no respect for authority!!
Only if there is a cute smile involved... and perhaps a pair of handcuffs :

Quote:
Old 29-08-2005, 04:31 PM   #30
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindi
Only if there is a cute smile involved... and perhaps a pair of handcuffs :
You'd have to ask Mrs Bastard about those, she's reading now. :