Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Helios
Starter Motor

Default Focus LW 2.0L Diesel Oil

Hi Everyone,

I own a German built Ford Focus Sport 2.0L Diesel Sport (2011/2012). I used to change the oil and filter in my previous cars and im now looking at doing it again.

I looked at the service guide and it states i require an oil that meets spec WSS-M2C913-C or ACEA A5/B5. From my previous service receipts i see ford use Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5W-30, however I've haven't been able to find it (at least in 5L containers, I'm guessing large quantities only?).

I have only found one oil that i can see meets the spec Valvoline FE 5W-30

http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-...tic-engine-oil

The biggest problem i have found is finding an oil that meets ACEA A5/B5, after reading the different classifications i find they all are quite similar?

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars...l_designations

Would there be an issue using other 5W-30 oils that are suitable for Diesels with DPFs? E.g. Nulon Full Synthetic Diesel 5W-30 is good for C3; A3/B3; A3/B4...but not A5/B5

Thanks

Helios is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #2
david256

Default Re: Focus LW 2.0L Diesel Oil

I researched this last year, I was looking at doing a change in between the scheduled service, a mechanic friend said be careful choosing oils. Ash content and Diesel fuel contaminating in the oil will effect burnoffs, DPF clogging and ultimately life span.

He said watch the dip stick level, if it increases over time the sump is filling with diesel, he had only recently serviced a Mazda 3 Diesel that over filled, 10-11 liters was emptied from the sump. Over the last 15k my dip stick level hasn't increased at all, looks like the Focus may be immune to this issue.

Just in case your not aware during a burnoff diesel gets dumped into the cylinders.

The only oil the meets the WSS-M2C913-C spec 100% is Genuine Ford oil, the Castrol and Valvoline are close.

When I had mine serviced at 15k the service agent used Valvoline.

If the cost and availability of the Genuine oil was too high, I was going to use the Valvoline you linked.
david256 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
Helios
Starter Motor

Thanks for your reply david.

Interesting that they used valvoline, was that a ford service / dealership?

Also before I fell down the rabbit hole looking for oil, i went to pick up the oil filter from my local Ford Service & Parts centre, I asked about the oil they used.

The guy behind the desk showed me a 5L bottle of Ford branded Semi Synthetic 5W-30, which he said was what they used in the Ranger (Diesel) as well. I asked if it was castrol and what the price was and he said it was supplied by castrol and cost $56 for 5L. However on my previous service receipts i have been charged $77 for 5L of Castrol Magnatec Professional (Though the discrepancy could have something to do with how they calculate their capped servicing costs).

So i wonder if the oil they are selling is the same used as the stuff at the parts centre?
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

You could try an aussie company

http://www.nulon.com.au/lubeguide/#F...20DIESEL&MAN=1
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #5
aratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
However on my previous service receipts i have been charged $77 for 5L of Castrol Magnatec Professional (Though the discrepancy could have something to do with how they calculate their capped servicing costs).
This oil can only be bought in 20L and 205L containers, its likely they have charged you by the litre and added their margin on it
Old 06-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

mobil 1 delvac 5w 40 meets A3, B3, B4, A5, B5, C2, C3...
this is what I use, always have.

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...ific_May09.pdf

rimular X should also suit.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Chicka

Thumbs up Re: Focus LW 2.0L Diesel Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Hi Everyone,

I own a German built Ford Focus Sport 2.0L Diesel Sport (2011/2012). I used to change the oil and filter in my previous cars and im now looking at doing it again.

I looked at the service guide and it states i require an oil that meets spec WSS-M2C913-C or ACEA A5/B5. From my previous service receipts i see ford use Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5W-30, however I've haven't been able to find it (at least in 5L containers, I'm guessing large quantities only?).

I have only found one oil that i can see meets the spec Valvoline FE 5W-30

http://www.valvoline.com.au/explore-...tic-engine-oil

The biggest problem i have found is finding an oil that meets ACEA A5/B5, after reading the different classifications i find they all are quite similar?

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars...l_designations

Would there be an issue using other 5W-30 oils that are suitable for Diesels with DPFs? E.g. Nulon Full Synthetic Diesel 5W-30 is good for C3; A3/B3; A3/B4...but not A5/B5

Thanks
Hi there....I highly recommend LIQUI-MOLY 5w-30 Leichlauf Special.
I have used this in my 2007 TDCI for the last 3 years.It is a semi-synthetic fully compliant oil.I don't believe that the recommended Castrol oil is available in anything under a 20 litre container.I usually buy my LM over the net.Just type in the Brand and you will go to the pretty impressive website.
All the best
Chicka
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
david256

My car had its 30k service today I asked which oil they used, I was told Valvoline as its the only oil that meets the WSS-M2C913-C spec, they use Castrol for most other diesels but Valvoline just for the Focus.

2 different Ford dealerships both using Valvoline.
david256 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Chicka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicka View Post
Hi there....I highly recommend LIQUI-MOLY 5w-30 Leichlauf Special.
I have used this in my 2007 TDCI for the last 3 years.It is a semi-synthetic fully compliant oil.I don't believe that the recommended Castrol oil is available in anything under a 20 litre container.I usually buy my LM over the net.Just type in the Brand and you will go to the pretty impressive website.
All the best
Chicka
Oh, and sorry......This oil meets A5/B5 Spec as required...
Chicka
Chicka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post