Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Fuel misers cost more in the long run

Hmm the Falcon needs the L.I.LPG.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25774D00265F51

Quote:
Hyundai Getz still cheapest to run as ownership survey highlights eco car costs

25 June 2010

By TERRY MARTIN

PURCHASING hybrid cars and other eco-oriented vehicles might save their owners money at the fuel bowser, but the latest RACV cost of ownership study has found the higher purchase price of these cars and other factors make them much more expensive to own.

The 2010 Driving Your Dollars survey, which assessed 78 new vehicles on the Australian market and collected data just prior to June this year, also found that ownership costs had climbed 4.5 per cent across all categories.

This compares to a fall of seven per cent last year and a rise of seven per cent in 2008.

The RACV’s calculations are based on owning and operating a vehicle over a five-year/75,000km period and include factors such as the purchase price, scheduled servicing, fuel, tyres, registration, insurance, stamp duty, resale value, various spare parts such as windscreens and batteries, and even the cost of a driver’s licence.

Although the 1.6-litre diesel-powered Ford Fiesta Econetic is billed as Australia’s most fuel efficient car, with an average fuel consumption rating of 3.7 litres per 100km and, according to the RACV, the best economy in the entire survey at 10.23 cents per kilometre, the association bestowed on it a weekly running cost of $148.29 which placed it last (10th) against other popular models in the light car category.

In comparison, the standout in the segment (and the survey overall) was the Hyundai Getz S, which for the fourth year in a row was deemed the cheapest to own and run at $118.44 a week – up from $114.65 last year.

This is likely to be the last hurrah for the compact South Korean hatch, which as GoAuto has reported will cease production in October. Its replacement, the i10, is due to arrive in January next year.

After the Getz, the cheapest light car to run was the Suzuki Swift ($119.36), followed by the Kia Rio ($126.25) and, significantly, Ford’s less expensive 1.4-litre petrol Fiesta CL hatch ($128.55).

Hybrid cars also proved to be more expensive to own than other models in the small car category, with the Toyota Prius and Honda Civic at the tail end of the field with weekly running costs of $222.22 and $191.44 respectively.

The standout among the small cars was the Nissan Tiida ($153.79), ahead of Hyundai’s i30 SX 2.0-litre petrol automatic ($154.01) and the 1.6-litre turbo-diesel version ($159.22). Ford came in fourth with the Focus 2.0 auto on $161.73.

The hybrid cost equation was also reinforced in the medium car segment, with Toyota’s Victorian-built Camry Hybrid coming in fourth on $220.16 – a weekly cost that was well in excess of that handed down to the Mazda6 ($204.29), Ford’s 2.3-litre petrol Mondeo ($204.35) and the regular 2.4-litre Camry Altise ($205.16).

As shown in previous surveys, large 4WDs remain the most expensive vehicles to own and operate, with the Toyota LandCruiser GXL 4.5-litre diesel at the far end of the field on $385.79 – up from $366.05 last year – and the GXL petrol V8 not far behind on $369.88.

Nissan’s Patrol was deemed a cheaper vehicle to run, with the DX 3.0 diesel on $291.91 and the ST 5.0 petrol on $325.89.

The Patrol’s ownership costs came in close to Toyota’s smaller – but bigger-selling – LandCruiser Prado, which proved the most expensive model in the medium SUV class, on $325.19 for the 4.0 V6 petrol and $293.14 for the 3.0 diesel.

Holden’s less-hardcore Captiva took out top honours in the category, on $207.70 for the 2.4 petrol and $226.12 for the 2.0 diesel. Ford’s Australian-built Territory – in two-wheel drive form – was next best on $228.27, while Toyota’s Kluger took the next two places in both 2WD ($235.91) and 4WD ($249.16) guise.

Elsewhere among locally built models, Holden’s dual-fuel (petrol/LPG) Commodore $227.57 took out the large-car section, ahead of the regular 3.0-litre SIDI V6 version ($230.79) and, surprisingly, more than $10 a week better off than Ford’s dedicated-LPG Falcon, which was placed back in third on $238.99.

Kia’s big-selling Carnival was best among the people-movers on $224.53 a week, ahead of a model which is fast approaching in the sales race, Hyundai’s iMax wagon ($231.32), while in the compact SUV segment Hyundai took top place with its new ix35 2.0-litre petrol model ($182.19).

The manual ix35’s figure was the only sub-$200 a week result across all SUVs. Among the compact off-roaders, Subaru’s Forester was next best on $213.03 (with an automatic transmission), and Mitsubishi’s Outlander was third on $215.12 (also with auto).

Prestige marques Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz came to light in the medium car segment, with the A4 1.8 turbo ($287.34) proving the cheaper to own and run than the BMW 320i – on $310.98, which takes into account almost $8000 in servicing costs over the five-year period – and the Mercedes-Benz C200 ($313.36).

Utilities were also assessed, with Mitsubishi’s Triton GLX 2.5 diesel cab-chassis taking first place in the 4x2 section with weekly costs of $192.46, and Ford’s 3.0-litre diesel Ranger winning the 4x4 section on $250.84.

Interestingly, in a reversal of the Australian-built sedan result, Ford’s LPG Falcon Ute ($203.50) was rated ahead of the dual-fuel Holden Omega Ute ($210.96).

The RACV’s general manager of public policy Brian Negus said depreciation was the “ticking time bomb” in relation to vehicle ownership, with many car buyers failing to recognise it as a major vehicle cost.

“In this survey, depreciation accounts for an average 37 per cent on any given vehicle and while car buyers are not having to pay 37 cents in every dollar of their weekly car bills now, in five years’ time when they are looking to trade their car that’s when the depreciation costs kick in significantly,” he said.

He also highlighted other cost factors such as scheduled servicing, noting that key Toyota models were still the most expensive to maintain in their respective segments, despite the brand’s widely publicised fixed scheduled servicing program.

“What was surprising was that the Toyota’s Yaris, Prado and RAV4 were all the most expensive to maintain in their categories, even with Toyota Service Advantage limiting scheduled costs,” Mr Negus said.

2010 RACV 'Driving Your Dollars" results:
Light $/week
Hyundai Getz S 3-dr 1.4 $118.44
Suzuki Swift EZ 5-dr 1.4 $119.36
Kia Rio S 5-dr 1.4 $126.25
Ford Fiesta CL 3-dr 1.6 $128.55
Toyota Yaris YR 3-dr 1.3 $129.98

Small
Nissan Tiida 5-dr 1.8 (a) $153.79
Hyundai i30 SX 5-dr 2.0 (a) $154.01
Hyundai i30 SX 5-dr 1.6 CRDi (a) $159.22
Ford Focus 5-dr 2.0 (a) $161.73
Holden Cruze 1.8 (a) $164.69

Medium
Mazda6 2.4 (a) $204.29
Ford Mondeo 5-dr 2.3 (a) $204.35
Toyota Camry Altise 2.4 (a) $205.16
Toyota Camry Hybrid 2.4 (a) $220.16
Honda Accord Euro 2.4 (a) $222.82

Large
Holden Commodore (dual-fuel) 3.6 (a) $227.57
Holden Commodore 3.0 (a) $230.79
Ford Falcon XT 4.0 LPG (a) $238.99
Toyota Aurion AT-X 3.5 (a) $240.68
Ford Falcon XT 4.0 (a) $252.26

People-mover
Kia Carnival 2.7 (a) $224.53
Hyundai iMax 2.4 (a) $231.32
Honda Odyssey 2.4 (a) $247.09
Toyota Tarago GLi 2.4 (a) $284.86
SUV Compact
Hyundai iX35 2.0 $182.19
Subaru Forester 2.5 (a) $213.03
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 (a) $215.12
Mazda CX-7 2.5 (a) $218.81
Nissan X-Trail 2.5 (a) $220.01
SUV Medium
Holden Captiva 5 2.4 (a) $207.70
Holden Captiva SX (2WD) 2.0 diesel (a) $226.12
Ford Territory (2WD) 4.0 (a) $228.27
Toyota Kluger (2WD) 3.5 (a) $235.91
Toyota Kluger (4WD) 3.5 (a) $249.16
SUV Large
Nissan Patrol DX 3.0 diesel (a) $291.91
Nissan Patrol ST 5.0 (a) $325.89
Toyota LandCruiser GXL 4.7 (a) $369.88
Toyota LandCruiser GXL 4.5 diesel (a) $385.79
4x2 Utility
Mitsubishi Triton GLX Cab/Chassis 2.5 diesel (a) $192.46
Ford Falcon Ute 4.0 LPG (a) $203.50
Holden Commodore Omega (dual-fuel) 3.6 (a) $210.96
Holden Commodore Omega 3.6 (a) $211.91
Toyota HiLux SR X Cab 4.0 (a) $212.74
4x4 Utility
Ford Ranger XL Dual Cab 3.0 diesel (a) $250.84
Toyota HiLux SR Dual cab 3.0 diesel (a) $257.94
Nissan Navara RX Dual Cab 2.5 diesel (a)$267.35
Mitsubishi Triton GLX-R Dual Cab 2.5 (a)$273.40
Holden Colorado LT-R Dual Cab 3.0 diesel (a) $293.83
Source: RACV, June 2010
Old 27-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder how this cost analysis would pan out without the depreciation factor for us long term owners? results would be a lot different i think.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
PURCHASING hybrid cars and other eco-oriented vehicles might save their owners money at the fuel bowser, but the latest RACV cost of ownership study has found the higher purchase price of these cars and other factors make them much more expensive to own.
Someone put their thinking cap on while writing this article.
Old 27-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Someone put their thinking cap on while writing this article.
The majority of hybrids go to fleet and taxi work where fuel is a much bigger
part of the running costs.

I personally cannot see any advantage in paying extra for either a hybrid or a
diesel if its used for private running, unless you're doing heaps of running,
it's just not worth it.

The difference between an Econetic Fiesta and it's petrol sibling is near on
$8,000 and considering that most people are paying for that difference in
after tax dollars earned, it adds up to a lot of hidden tax.

$8,000 saved on payments could be as much as $12,000 earned before tax
and no mater which way you slice it, that a heck of a lot of green just to
save a few bucks every time you fill up.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
/
The difference between an Econetic Fiesta and it's petrol sibling is near on
$8,000 and considering that most people are paying for that difference in
after tax dollars earned, it adds up to a lot of hidden tax.

$8,000 saved on payments could be as much as $12,000 earned before tax
and no mater which way you slice it, that a heck of a lot of green just to
save a few bucks every time you fill up.
Thats an argument I regularly put up when people suggest I use a more economical car for getting to and from work. The money spent on upgrading to a more economical vehicle can buy a lot of fuel, meaning it would take a lot of time and kms travelled to realise any savings. For now I'll continue to enjoy having a classic on the road every day of the week, and won't complain about the fact that I'm filling up more regularly than my neighbour with their ugly 40-something-thousand dollar environmental catastrophy POS Prius. I find it hard to imagine ever parting with my EH, and even harder to imagine owning a hybrid
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Dunno about anyone else, but the cost of a carton of beer a week, enough for me to say "I'll drive my Ford rather then a dunnydore or a korean dunnydore"

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're cheap enough to buy a Getz, that's fine that it doesn't cost much to own, but its sand in the face of hybrid owners. i'm sure they'll find enough statistics to justify their existance.
Old 28-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Until a Hybrid costs the same or a fraction more than its conventionally powered alternative there can not be any pro arguments for hybrids other than the warm fuzzy feeling one gets driving one.

Lets face it. A corolla costs say 22k, a Prius costs 38k. That 16 grand difference can be thrown into a bank account and the interest alone will cover the difference in petrol costs. Then you have the extra costs of servicing / replacement for the batteries etc

When you sell both cars, the owner with the Corolla will be ahead financially.

From an environmental point of view, the Prius is FAR more damaging as there are more parts, more manufacturing process, more waste at the end of the life of the car to recycle etc etc etc.

A private commuter will generally not do the km required to make the hybrid a worthwhile financial decision.

If you want efficient, cost effective transport small capacity IC engines / Diesels in lightweight bodies based on designs that have been refined countless times over the past century will be the best choice for a while yet.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Until a Hybrid costs the same or a fraction more than its conventionally powered alternative there can not be any pro arguments for hybrids other than the warm fuzzy feeling one gets driving one.
maybe the warm fuzzy feeling is because he weed himself with excitement.
{probably not**

Lets face it. A corolla costs say 22k, a Prius costs 38k. That 16 grand difference can be thrown into a bank account and the interest alone will cover the difference in petrol costs. Then you have the extra costs of servicing / replacement for the batteries etc

When you sell both cars, the owner with the Corolla will be ahead financially.
That must make up for Corolla owners being behind intellectually

From an environmental point of view, the Prius is FAR more damaging as there are more parts, more manufacturing process, more waste at the end of the life of the car to recycle etc etc etc.
Can't they just sell it to someone else?

A private commuter will generally not do the km required to make the hybrid a worthwhile financial decision.
and if they did the km's, then it'll be using the petrol engine anyway.

If you want efficient, cost effective transport small capacity IC engines / Diesels in lightweight bodies based on designs that have been refined countless times over the past century will be the best choice for a while yet.
sorry man ...bored at work, just playing with the pretty colours...
If I bag Toyota too much, I get called a potty mouth! hehehe

this colour's "plum" ....nice...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://theage.drive.com.au/selling-t...212-1aqze.html

Quote:
Why hybrid cars could cost you thousands
Toby Hagon
February 12, 2011

A hybrid car could halve your fuel bill but it can cost thousands more when it comes time to sell it.

Resale values for some popular hybrid models show owners – often businesses and government departments – are tearing up thousands of dollars more than conventional cars when it comes time to sell.

While a 2005 Prius cost $7100 more than a Corolla Ultima of the same year, it is now worth $300 less than the Corolla, according to industry used car bible Glass’s Guide.

The Honda Insight that was the first hybrid to go on sale here in 2001 for $48,990 plus on-road costs is now worth just $7200, less than a CR-V (which sold for thousands less) of the same era.
Advertisement: Story continues below

The depreciation is also dramatic on the better equipped Prius iTech that arrived in 2003 with a price tag close to $50,000.

A 2003 model sells now for about $10,700 while a 2007 iTech only just out of warranty has more than halved to be now worth about $20,200, representing depreciation of 57 per cent.

Honda’s Civic Hybrid has also struggled in the used-car market, with depreciation outpacing the regular Civic models.

“The used-car market isn’t quite yet sophisticated enough for hybrids,” says Glass’s Guide managing director Santo Amoddio, who believes “unfounded” concerns over battery life could be affecting the appeal of older hybrids. “On the used-car market they [hybrids] haven’t yet found their appeal.

“Over time their appeal will increase.”

Even a 2009 Prius iTech is claimed to be worth about $30,700 now (down a hefty 36 per cent) while a 2009 Prado GX that cost just $2490 more when new sells for about $44,500 (a drop of only 20.5 per cent).

“It’s still a matter of educating the public on hybrids and getting a better understanding of their long term viability,” said Toyota Australia public relations manager Mike Breen.

The most popular hybrid on the road – Toyota’s Prius – has been on sale here since 2001 and has seen sales slump over the past year as the locally produced Hybrid Camry cannibalised its sales.

In January sales are off to a sluggish start, especially with the private buyers who typically pay more than fleets.

Just 95 of the 273 Hybrid Camrys sold in January were to private buyers, while only 12 of the paltry 50 Prius buyers were listed as private buyers by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries.

Car Original Price Percentage
2001 Toyota Prius $39,990 $5900 85.2
2001 Toyota Corolla Ascent $21,790 $5800 73.4
2005 Toyota Prius $37,000 $12,800 65.4
2005 Toyota Corolla Ascent $21,600 $9900 54.2
2005 Toyota Corolla Ultima $29,990 $13,100 56.3
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid $32,990 $17,100 48.2
2006 Honda Civic Sport $31,990 $17,800 44.4
2006 Honda Civic VTi $22,990 $12,300 46.5
2010 Toyota Prius $39,900 $25,600 35.8
2010 Toyota Corolla Ascent $23,740 $16,200 31.8

Source: Glass’s Guide. Resale values based on average trade-in value and can vary according to condition and kilometres travelled
Old 14-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
fordman302

Pretty much what most of us thought from the start, but so many people brain washed by hype about stopping global warming and what not
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
351@GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how on earth does the territory work out cheaper...
351@GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351@GT

how on earth does the territory work out cheaper...
i'd say it would be resale..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman302
Pretty much what most of us thought from the start, but so many people brain washed by hype about stopping global warming and what not
Global warming is debatable. But the effects of pollution are real. I hate how GW steals all the attention.

Anyway, light cars (non-hybrid) do have the lowest cost of running. The problem is, they just don't suit the needs of everybody.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #15
KiwiKilda

Default Re: Fuel misers cost more in the long run

I rented a Prius is Queensland for 2 weeks Nice Vehicle
drove like an 1800 I liked it but
add the battery and all that stuff to ownership costs

A 4.0 litre Falcon is cheap to run on LPG got plenty of grunt
and can carry 4 adults and their c r a p
with out breaking into a sweat

Safety is the other thing Falcons are not that Far behind Volvos really
I feel safer in the Falcon than some small thing.

A dual Fuel Falcon is a good combination of Load Carrying easy maintenance
safety and Fuel economy

The cheapest car would probably be a toyota corolla on dual fuel
(I have seen them but put 4 people in one) and go on holiday?

No thanks

it's just I would not like my family to be in one if it crashed.,

Inflate your tyres easy on the pedal
these thing seen to do 100km/hr at about 2000rpm
the car is not even sweating it's joke

Comfort is another factor for safety those little things
are Claustaphobic depending on how tall your are
A long trip and I would have cabin fever

Cruisin in the Falcon is a pleasure in comparision
(I am a hard core pro cyclist anti car (in the city) person
Cars are evil and are the work of Satan encarnate

Saying that I actually enjoy the Falcon)

Compared to the torture of driving on of them little *t boxes ?

Latest Falcons have 5 star Ancap
want me one of them

If you are going to drive a Car drive a Car
and if you want to reduce pollution and most modern cities need to
because the Air in Melbourne compared to NZD is s h i t

Get off ya B U M and Cycle
KiwiKilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #16
Angeldust

definetly true about the euros... the overall runnign costs of my bmw 320 are far greatr than my SS, even though the BMW's 2.3L 6 chews only ~10L/100K, any difference in saving in fuel goes out the door when u get raped by bmw servicing, parts etc..

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I personally cannot see any advantage in paying extra for either a hybrid or a
diesel if its used for private running, unless you're doing heaps of running,
it's just not worth it.
I bought a TDCI Focus because I liked the way it drove over the petrol versions, and its my first taste of a car with forced induction.

I didn't really buy it to save fuel, cause I came out of a WS Fiesta which was doing 6.3L/100km.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #18
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Can't they just sell it to someone else?
My friend bought a 3 year old Prius for $12500 at the auctions - new price was in the high $30,000's. The concern for those considering one used is being lumped with replacing the battery pack a few more years down the track and the resale is getting hammered as a result.

That and they are hardly exciting
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 10:15 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I bought a TDCI Focus because I liked the way it drove over the petrol versions, and its my first taste of a car with forced induction.

I didn't really buy it to save fuel, cause I came out of a WS Fiesta which was doing 6.3L/100km.
if you don`t mind me asking Damo, as far as servicing goes on your focus diesel compared to say a petrol focus, does the diesel model have any special servicing requirements, extra filters,adjustments, etc,etc? obviously there`s no plugs and lead/coil paks to worry about.
cheers
Old 13-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #20
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
if you don`t mind me asking Damo, as far as servicing goes on your focus diesel compared to say a petrol focus, does the diesel model have any special servicing requirements, extra filters,adjustments, etc,etc? obviously there`s no plugs and lead/coil paks to worry about.
cheers
alltho i'm not driving a ford, i have found the price of oil/service the same for both diesel and petrol..
however the petrol service is 10,000klm as diesel is 15,000klm.

but different brands have variable service price.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thx burnz.
Old 13-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #22
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
It's called smugness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMhzNdeb1c4
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate it how they use RRP to determine resale cost rather than actual transaction prices.

A Falcon XT RRP is like 42 grand on the road, where as in reality you could probably buy a new one for around 32 on road. Thats a 10K hit right there.

I suppose its Ford's fault for pricing cars so far away from actual transaction price (probably to make the fleet discounts seem bigger than what they are).
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im recycling a 2004 BAxr8 ute with 30k on it. cost me 19200, late last year, love to see the figures on that, i get a warm fuzzy feeling when i drive it, plus im recycling so i get a double serve of warm and fuzzy.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have quite a few prius in our taxi fleet and some are at the 400k mark, with only one having needed a main battery and it did cost $2500. That being said, im unsure of the cost comparison with the cars on gas but the prius verse the camry and torago, the priuses have never needed autos replacing or engines or anything aside from tyres, brakes and services. I am very surprised at their reliability.
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #26
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I hate it how they use RRP to determine resale cost rather than actual transaction prices.
A Falcon XT RRP is like 42 grand on the road, where as in reality you could probably buy a new one for around 32 on road. Thats a 10K hit right there.
I suppose its Ford's fault for pricing cars so far away from actual transaction price (probably to make the fleet discounts seem bigger than what they are).
But in fairness to the article, it never said RRP, it said "purchase price"

Quote:
The RACV’s calculations are based on owning and operating a vehicle over a five-year/75,000km period and include factors such as the purchase price, scheduled servicing, fuel, tyres, registration
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #27
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

One fault I have seen in the article is that they do not compare apples with apples in a number of instances.

A good example is the Fiesta econetic 5dr and the Fiesta CL 3dr, these are not equal vehicles as there are a lot of significant features the econetic has that the base model CL does not (like 2 more doors for a start). Its like comparing the Falcon XT with a G6, they are not equal vehicles and higher trim/luxury levels should not be allowed to be factored into their equation. The comparison across the board should only show cars of equivalent size and spec with the only variable being the drivetrain.
Old 14-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
cheers
It has a Diesel Particulate Filter which needs some special fluid or some crap in a few years time.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Oil filters for the Focus diesel are pretty pricey for genuine ones, a mate at work said his cost more than $50 and that was with employee discount. He couldn't believe it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
KiwiKilda

Everyone's needs are different

For me Safety comes up there
with Fuel efficiency and then reliability

reliability is really just controlled by how you drive and maintain a vehicle
it i snot rocket science

If I was in NZD I would have to go for a Prius or a Corolla
Petrol is already 2.13 2.25 and rising
and LPG is nowhere near as cheap as it is here

You can get the Prius cheaper in NZd than here
in NZD you can get reconditioned batteries

they are great for those short trips to the (Dairy/milkbar)

You can go 1000km in these things before a refill they are ok.
In aus I was super keen to find a Volvo nearly scored one on LPG

The Falcon is pretty good pretty solid ABS brakes airbags good build

Seriously I prefer it over a guy at works BMW christ why pay so much for that the interior was C r a p compared to the Falcon.

Mind you you are talking to someone who was carless for a whole year here
I coped and I saw truckloads don't regret it at all.

You are talkin to a cycle commuter and I can tell ya
CAR culture is pretty crazy and some common
motoring attitudes are off in GAGA land.

The hybrids are the way of the Future and in essence a Dual Fuel Falcon
is a kind of hybrid.

If you want to be a fuel miser just use your vehicle less. Slow down
inflate your tyres cycle home one day a
that's a 20% saving

The selection of quality second hand vehicles here is amasing
all we seem to have mostly in nzd is speedometer wound Jap imports and they are total c r a p.

I don't know why corollas are so expensive here they are just
little shopping baskets?
KiwiKilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post