Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
low_72

Default GTHO Phase 3 Engine

I have an opportunity to purchase a a xy gt replica falcon ute that has genuine numbers GTHO Phase 3 Engine,box,diff and interior.. whats it worth? i dont want to offer to little or pay to much.. its been in storage for 13 years under a house.. so ill need a full rebuild over time..
low_72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #2
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: GTHO Phase 3 Engine

I don't think it's worth much more than you'd pay for a ute which had a normal 351 driveline. The motor is just a curio piece without the rest of the car IMO.

If it's a factory 351/4-speed ute then it's a different kettle of fish.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I'd be more concerned about ensuring the owner has air tight proof that the mismatched car and engine is not part of a numbers/rebirthing scam.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Engines have been swapped out of wrecked cars since Henry wore short pants, I think a simple title search would solve that concern

Let's face it back in the 70's / 80's if you totalled your GT you'd buy the wreak from the insurer and slot the running gear in to something else with a few mates some steel caned KB and a few thick sausages cooked on a real wood burning BBQ with onions and tomato sauce on bread while the mrs in her flared jeans smoked alpines to keep thin while pregnant as she watched over the little fellers in the blow up wadding pool and the other shealas talked about what the saw on count down last weekend

Happened all the time

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #5
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I don't think it's worth much more than you'd pay for a ute which had a normal 351 driveline. The motor is just a curio piece without the rest of the car IMO.

If it's a factory 351/4-speed ute then it's a different kettle of fish.
Tell that to owners that don't have matching number HO'os
Old 09-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #6
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

don't know what the car is worth, but Yeti's description of the 70's and 80's is valuable
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #7
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is worth more if it has all the GHO goodies like carburetor, extractors, headers, balance...also if the gearbox is a long shaft top loader, it has the correct tailshaft, diff housing with swayer tabs welded on, detroit locker, 31 spline axles, 2.5" drum brakes.

Yes I'd pay a small premium.....not for the numbers though, they mean **** without the car to go with it.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtopxb View Post
Tell that to owners that don't have matching number HO'os
Sorry, I'm not clear on your meaning.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #9
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
it has the correct tailshaft.
cant see it having original gtho tail shaft as utes are longer wheel base than the sedans

Quote:
Yes I'd pay a small premium.....not for the numbers though, they mean **** without the car to go with it.
but yes some would pay more for well the fruit that it may have if it has had that stuff fitted but not the numbers as in this case numbers are only relevant to the fruit not the vehicle , and at the end of the day your still only buying a ute mocked up gt lookalike with 40 odd year old running gear

why would you pay a premium for such a motor just for the numbers when you could build a better fresh one cheaper and still have an un matching numbers ute

as others have said the value in the motor will be (if its still around) the owner of the original vehicle but if it was still around why is it missing its motor

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
cant see it having original gtho tail shaft as utes are longer wheel base than the sedans
XY utes are the same wheelbase sedans??...I thought

The long wheelbase thing was XA on
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #11
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pretty sure the xy ute and wagon tailshafts were interchangeable but not the others

but it has been 28 years since I had the xy wagon and did the this bolts with that interchange parts from that time period , even had the fairlane front clip fitted at one stage until I tiered then retro fitted the original back

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I agree with this.

The reason a GTHO is worth a small fortune is not because its so much better than the next best thing, but because of its rarity and its iconic status. A replica is just as good as an original, but it's NOT an original.

A nice XY ute is getting very rare these days, hence the value, but really you should be paying for condition.
An XY Ute with a HP Cleveland is a bit nicer still, but really that's all you'll be getting.

Sure, if you could find the owner of the matching HO (assuming it hasn't been crushed) they would normally pay a premium to get their matching numbers engine back, but that's about it.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #13
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
XY utes are the same wheelbase sedans??...I thought

The long wheelbase thing was XA on
Correct, up to XY Sedans / Wagons / Utes / Vans all had the same 111" Wheelbase. The 116" Wheelbase was XA on Utes / Wagons Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #14
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
why would you pay a premium for such a motor just for the numbers when you could build a better fresh one cheaper and still have an un matching numbers ute

I wouldn’t dig deep but I’d throw in an extra carton of cans for a verified ridgy didge phase 3 driveline just for the sake of owning the driveline.

It’d be a good talking point at BBQ’s and it’s an icon in its own right as the HO was nothing without it.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2016, 02:49 AM   #15
The Nunn

Can't be worth more than 10 k unless the body is pristine,
1979 Mustang Indy Pace Car V8 Auto
1968 XR7 Mercury Cougar V8 Auto
2016 XR6T Falcon Sprint (June delivery)#167
The Nunn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 09:10 AM   #16
low_72

Ok guys.. i purchased it.. now this Ute was from the northern territory and has factory twin fuel tanks? so thats a bit different as well.

Will be home in a month..its been in storage and hard to get out of its location.. its in really great condition.. yes paint will need to be done.. but 3 or 4 small rust spots in the doors and the rear guards.. its so clean for its age..

will post pictures when getting it out..
low_72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #17
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Engines have been swapped out of wrecked cars since Henry wore short pants, I think a simple title search would solve that concern

Let's face it back in the 70's / 80's if you totalled your GT you'd buy the wreak from the insurer and slot the running gear in to something else with a few mates some steel caned KB and a few thick sausages cooked on a real wood burning BBQ with onions and tomato sauce on bread while the mrs in her flared jeans smoked alpines to keep thin while pregnant as she watched over the little fellers in the blow up wadding pool and the other shealas talked about what the saw on count down last weekend

Happened all the time
LOL...ahhhhh I can taste the charred ends of the thick snags now!!
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #18
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by low64 View Post
Ok guys.. i purchased it.. now this Ute was from the northern territory and has factory twin fuel tanks? so thats a bit different as well.

Will be home in a month..its been in storage and hard to get out of its location.. its in really great condition.. yes paint will need to be done.. but 3 or 4 small rust spots in the doors and the rear guards.. its so clean for its age..

will post pictures when getting it out..
Well done. Looking forward to the pics.