Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Shoofty_As
Got Any Lollies??

Default Just got Pinned !!

Got pinched test riding my brothers bike the other day in Altona meadows, along Skelton Creek. unregisered and a $400 fine from the council from riding on a reserve. I asked the coppers where you can infact ride with Recreational registration, not even they could tell me... their bikes were louder than mine (big orange KTMS) and they ride up and down the creek all the time, noisy bastards.

Can some of you bright folk actually shed some light on the subject, rules and boundaries etc of where you can / can't ride ?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

The rules may differ from State to State but in Victoria in general terms you need to have a license and a registered bike to ride anywhere. Get in touch with your local council and find out if they still recognise rec reg at all (doubtful) and if so where is it acceptable to ride. Same applies if you plan on riding an unregistered bike in the ‘bush’ you need to check cus if you’re caught in the wrong place (even with full reg and a license in some circumstances) your gunna get pinged. With very few exceptions the simple rules apply everywhere, license and registration no different to a car! The only exception to this that I’m aware of is a track in Mahoneys Rd Campbellfield where you can ride your unregistered bike without a license.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

We ride in the pine forests here in W.A half you can ride in half you cant. Theres no line and the forest is that big you have no idea where you are untill u just go straight and hit a main track. There is cops that patrol through in cars and quads but me and my mate have CRF450`s so we dont hang around
Old 07-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres a track in lavo, dunno if its still going. but last time i heard it was and there were a few comps on as well. the forty's are good to ride as well, just behind the basketball stadium
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish they would round up some of the bogans that right around here with thier kids on the bikes, very dangerous that lot. Other's ride on the road in the dark in their black Metallica T shirts. Usually the bike is a couple of sizes too small for them. I was at the servo at Doonside yesterday and one came riding up on dirt bike wearing nothing but shorts and rode straight into the servo proabably to buy his cigarettes. I had to wait until I was semi grown up and licensed before I got my first trail bike. I always had it drummed into me that all the other kids were braking the law and if they hit someone that would be payin gfor it for the rest of their lives. Being dirt poor the average bogan can probably get legal aid and never have to pay if he stays on the dole, in several different names.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

You can get maps with different coloured roads designating rec reg areas, usually bush areas with unsealed access roads.
A friend had one, try asking vicroads.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I believe rec reg only covers you for 3rd party insurance, you still need to be licensed to ride in a rec reg area. There is little or nowhere in the burbs where you can ride off road legally.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate unreg bike on some headland....no way cops nor council will ever catch you, unless you let them

no idea where you were but youd be better off going to some crappy bit of property and ride there

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Hey dude..
i feel ya.. i got pinged when i was 16 on my mxer.. Unregistered, Uninsured, and unlicensed.. $1200 in fines.. I thought i was doing the right thing stopping for the copper.. if i had my time again i would definately have shown the copper wat a KX 250 can do..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
Shoofty_As
Got Any Lollies??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufel
theres a track in lavo, dunno if its still going. but last time i heard it was and there were a few comps on as well. the forty's are good to ride as well, just behind the basketball stadium
40 acres is a no go according to these cops that nabbed me, they were actually good blokes, they said I'll get the fines in the mail, I thought you beauty probably won't get em... following week BAM !!! there they were along with the unexpected council one.. Doh !
Old 10-02-2007, 12:41 PM   #11
MaD_KiWi
Happy as Larry

They are renound for this in Carrum Downs
MaD_KiWi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was supprised when i read what rec rego (recreational rego)actually covers, firstly for it to apply you need to have a licence,(or learners permit) and then it covers you for TAC type injury, you can ride on some unsealed roads but not all. its really a crock of crap.

its got me stuffed why anyone can sell these pocket bike type things, and there is almost no place to ride them legally.

we need to kick the greenies out of the forrest, they are taking away our dirtbike habbitat
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #13
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

IT sucks mate dont it?!
You cant ride anywhere these days, and for no apparent reason either, the best thing to do is to sell your bike and buy a pushy, simply no more fun on moto's with all the you cant ride here or there rules and crap.
Thats why i got rid of my bikes not long ago, but damn I miss the bush.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
mate unreg bike on some headland....no way cops nor council will ever catch you, unless you let them
The coppers on the KTM's are quick, super quick. My brother's mate who is 15 and awesome rider was chased and de-mounted from his bike at 60 km/h!!!! They literally picked him up off it!!!! They must be moto x riders of some sorts and there is no such thing as a slow KTM.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #15
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Yer the local bush patrol up here are motorcross riders.. and often on top at the end of the day aswell.. Really nice blokes but.. It just there job..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 12:27 AM   #16
oneredED
need more boost

I've heard a few stories from my brothers enduro mates, and apparently the cops in the area are on XR650's (liquid cooled thumper). They apparently will try their hardest to knock you off your bike, and them trying to kick the handlebars is not uncommon! No-one has been caught yet (not that anyone did anything illegal :P) but apparently they're pretty good riders.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 01:08 AM   #17
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Where me and mates go I have never seen a cop. Wouldnt expect to 30kms off the main hwy. Aparently some mates have been chased by rangers but quads and bikes vs a 4wd isnt a fair game. They had put the bikes on the trailer, tied them down and buggered off before the rangers new what was goin on.

Been done by the telstra rally guys too. Grumpy bunch of gits. It was the weekend before and there werent even any cars out there.

I dont think the cops here are that interested in catching hill billys on bikes. Sometimes rangers will have a go if your an easy target but its pretty chilled here.

Imagine being a copper and riding around on KTMs. Thatd be awesome.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #18
TZENU
XY Driv3r

I go riding around Loch Sport (Gippsland Lakes) the rangers up there are pretty damn good... Spoke to one ranger on his KTM and he reckons that 99% of people that try to run get caught... These guys know how to ride!!

Around suburbia i wouldnt want to try.. A mate scored himself an $800 fine riding around the block!!
Old 16-02-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Showed my mate this thread and he said that Vic Police had a recruitment drive not long ago and a mate of a mate who is 19 got asked if he would like to join. Fairly decent rider and about 6f"3. :
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #20
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

I`ll get the CRF450 out the garage lets go :P

lol
Old 16-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #21
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
I`ll get the CRF450 out the garage lets go :P