Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #31
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Go and have a drive an in IRS equipped AU, much better then live axle. I gather you have never driven one.

BEST IRS EVER
I've owned a Fairlane, a couple of coil sprung Futuras, now on a wagon. As I said good ride quality, as for handling, still a null point as she aint an M3 or MX5 type of car. Who wants to throw around a two tonne barge!?!
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #32
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Who wants to throw around a two tonne barge!?!

I do!!!!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #33
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The TS50 handles quite well, a lot better then some smaller vehicles thats for sure.

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #34
XR6_4EVA
Hardcore I6 Enthusiast

Best allrounder, the AU series 3 XR6 VCT ST run out limited model that was released, good power, good economy when driven nicely, great wheels and body kit, nice interior, a car you dont have to do much to to make it look great or perform well.

Full Momo and Leather Trim.
Redback exhaust, high flow cat and Pacey Extractors.

SELLING MY GENUINE 18" AZZUROS WITH TYRES.
FRONT TYRES 95%
REAR TYRES 50%
XR6_4EVA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #35
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Sigh, yes. I was hoping most people would choose something other than what they have.
Just thinking about this comment, why would they?

They bought their car and it was obviously because that was the car that best suited their particular needs, therefore to them it would actually be the best one.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #36
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Probably the most common scenario there RG
but not always the case
for me for example, mine was a staff deal and i more or less got given it regardless of spec. The price was so right i wasn't going to argue at all, it was more or less my golden handshake. Also some people can change their minds, I've certainly known many people who have bought, for example, an AU1 futura only to find that they should have bought an AUII forte for the same price as they have pretty much the same spec.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #37
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I've owned a Fairlane, a couple of coil sprung Futuras, now on a wagon. As I said good ride quality, as for handling, still a null point as she aint an M3 or MX5 type of car. Who wants to throw around a two tonne barge!?!
True the falcon is no race car in factory form, but nor does it compete with said M3 or MX5.
So you have never owned a SWB IRS equipped falcon? So really you cannot comment on it. The fairlane is a different kettle of fish, do yourself a favour go and drive an IRS equipped sedan IE XR8 or T Series then give me your opinion.
As for 2 tonne barge, i do and i enjoy it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #38
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
S2/3 Fairmont wagon on lpg/dual fuel

Looks the goods with enough power to haul a ton of stuff in the rear without breakin a sweat, leaf sprung with no IRS.

Also makes long trips a breeze when packed full with 5 people plus a cat n dog and the boot filled to the roof.
Give this man a cigar!

To fit the criteria as stated in opening post this is undisputably the correct answer ... and that pertains to the standard car. Take one and add some nice enhancements (suspension, exhaust, premo brakes under XR8 17"rims, 3.7 diff) and for a pretty modest cost and you can get a very versatile family/work hack combined with the little niceties of the Fairmont interior, and a great handling vehicle that surprises!! Oh and did I mention SO CHEAP to run - I can get 500km from 70l of LPG and another 700km from 70l of ULP - great for those long weekend drives.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #39
T3man
Banned

Quote:
You're funny ... I like you.

Last Sunday my barge **** sloppy AU was quicker than a whole gaggle (in fact every one present) of MX5s there ... BTW this was my first run ever on this track ...

... and at Oran Park Jan just past this is what happened to an M3 (I was in my other barge **** AU for this one) ...

Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #40
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on ya, each to their own I guess.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #41
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Good on ya, each to their own I guess.
You appear to have an AUI forte.

What makes you able to pass opinion on anything other than that?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #42
LukeyST
ST fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_4EVA
Best allrounder, the AU series 3 XR6 VCT ST run out limited model that was released, good power, good economy when driven nicely, great wheels and body kit, nice interior, a car you dont have to do much to to make it look great or perform well.
I'll 2nd this!

- Looks the part with the T series wheels and the ford racing body kit (i think that's what its referred to as).
- With the VCT engine its quick for an NA 6.
- Handles great with the IRS, the 18" wheels would make a difference in this department aswell.
- Interior is awesome with leather everything (and i've had plenty of people comment on how comfortable the leather seats are).
- Economy very good for supposedly thirsty VCT engine (i average 11L/100km, good mix of in town and country driving).

To me the handling is the best aspect by far!! (and so much fun with the manual tranny).
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #43
RobVee

im a huge fan of the au xr series, they are the best looking cars on the road no doubt about it, ive wanted a nice au xr8 in my driveway for many a year

but when i was cashed up for a car asap earlier this year i could not find one for love nor money

instead i found myself an auII fairlane in almost brand new condition and this thing rocks it totally. the VCT I6 is rad. there is plenty of space in the boot for all my guitars and amps for gigs, its comfy as and it looks tough as nails

it turned out to be the best all rounder for me..
RobVee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #44
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
You appear to have an AUI forte.

What makes you able to pass opinion on anything other than that?
It's a futura, and i think you'll find he's owned a gaggle of AUs.

And i agree with him, i've driven probably about 30 AUs over the years of all different flavours, and the IRS doesn't magically make it excellent. Yes, combined with a plethora of other suspension mods you can turn an AU into a weapon, but that's not being disputed i didn't think.

But anyway, this isn't a 'merits of IRS' discussion, but a discussion of what T3Man has identified - practicality. Continue on gents.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 05-05-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #45
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
It's a futura, and i think you'll find he's owned a gaggle of AUs.

And i agree with him, i've driven probably about 30 AUs over the years of all different flavours, and the IRS doesn't magically make it excellent. Yes, combined with a plethora of other suspension mods you can turn an AU into a weapon, but that's not being disputed i didn't think.
But obviously none of them have been a SWB with IRS.

Unless you have spent a bit of time with one you can't really comment on it can you? Just the same as I can't comment on an AU with live axle, a LWB of any kind or a wagon.

An AU with IRS does handle very well, especially considering it is well over 1.5t and is basically a family car/taxi. If you read smoo's first post you will see that your last comment is wrong, very wrong.

Quote:
Unless you want to put some weight on it. It does good on comfort, handling is a null point cos shes still a flimsy AU at the end of the day.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #46
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

Unless you have spent a bit of time with one you can't really comment on it can you? Just the same as I can't comment on an AU with live axle, a LWB of any kind or a wagon.

An AU with IRS does handle very well, especially considering it is well over 1.5t and is basically a family car/taxi. If you read smoo's first post you will see that your last comment is wrong, very wrong.
A bit of tongue in cheek regarding the flimsy comment (think taxi stereotypre), I put 40 thousand km on my Fairlane. Not knocking on the IRS at all, their handling and ride advantage isn't enough to rule out the live axle models as a great all rounder imo. I'd say not many would've bought an IRS model simply for its handling advantages.

Last edited by smoo; 05-05-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #47
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

Give this man a beer (or a latte). The AU IRS is arguably the best suspension fitted to any Australian Ford.
As for the thread topic Best all Round AU, it depends what you us it for. No a wagon isnt the best all round car for me, nor is an I6 fitted with gas. They would both serve no purpose in 'interesting me' Criteria are as follows
V8
Some good options (being a T series i was halfway there)
Good handler
So yeah i have my ideal AU.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i don`t have anything else Au wise to compare it with , but small faults aside, i love my xr, and a better tow car i have not found.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #49
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Well since i dont know what direction "all round" is specifying, since it depends what youre looking for in an AU so Ill just compare the AUs ive owned:

AU1 Futura I6 Sedan: Solid and reliable. You couldnt buy better in this price bracket.

AU2 Fairmont I6 Sedan: Like the futura with a little more stuff. Pity many try to rip you off with these.

AU2 XR6 VCT Sedan: Uses more fuel than the XR8, is slower than a XR6 HP. Only good point is the IRS. But since the XR8 has it too, this car was a waste of my money.

AU3 XR8 Sedan: By far the most fun car to drive on a daily basis. Could only do better in a T, and that includes b-series vehicles.

I currently have a Watts link AU and an IRS one. Which i share the drving of regularly. And IMHO theres a hell of a difference, especially when you approach that sharp bend up ahead.

My 2c, not gospel or anything
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #50
LukeyST
ST fan

Scotty, what sort of fuel consumption figures did you get in the XR6 vct? I really am curious about this, im trying to work out how you were getting better figures from an 8! Im not saying your bs'ing either, because i've heard the same thing from others in the past.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #51
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyST
Scotty, what sort of fuel consumption figures did you get in the XR6 vct? I really am curious about this, im trying to work out how you were getting better figures from an 8! Im not saying your bs'ing either, because i've heard the same thing from others in the past.
I never bothered to actually work it out to that extent. I just base it on how many times I visited the servo. My driving habits or journeys have not varied with both cars. But to the best of my recall, I get at least an extra 100kms ( a days travel) per tank in the 8.

Believe me when I say I agree with you on this. It had me stumped the entire time I owned the VCT. It couldnt be my car specifically either, as VCT guzzling seems common knowledge here.

One thing i will say though, in standstill traffic the XR8 is hopeless (went through 1/4 tank in just 45 minutes), and the VCT did do better. But in suburban & hwy driving things start looking different.

I wont try to sound like I know what im talking about here, but if i didnt know any better, id say it has something to do with the upper power & torque band of the VCT whilst having to drag the IRS-assed AU around, ie needing work harder to get things moving. A simple enough analogy is that free revving motors dont suit heavy cars. The SIDIDIDIDI is good proof of this (but the Aurion begs to differ).

^ As I said, I could be totally wrong here, and will happily accept constructive criticism in discovering the VCTs apparent high fuel use.^

Last edited by SSD-85; 05-05-2010 at 11:42 PM.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #52
Jimmyd
Banned

I tried to find my preferred AU - white S1 XR6 VCT with preimium sound, full leather, full body kit and 17" tickford wheels; couldn't find one for love nor money at the time - I have always felt this was the quintesential AU (apart from a TE50 of course..) since they first hit the showroom floor back when I was a Ford Service Manager and later Ford Fleet Sales Manager

Ended up buying an Galaxy Blue AU1 update Fairmont Ghia VCT with factory optioned full leather, full tickford body kit, tickford suspension (inc LSD) & 17" tickford wheels and the MoMo steering wheel/gearshift. So basically a luxury spec XR6 in blue; or a poor mans T series........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I never bothered to actually work it out to that extent. I just base it on how many times I visited the servo. My driving habits or journeys have not varied with both cars. But to the best of my recall, I get at least an extra 100kms ( a days travel) per tank in the 8.
As for fuel consumption - the AU XR8s are verrry economical -in the real world it leaves a BA I6 for dead.
But the VCT is not thirsty if you change your driving style to suit the engine/driveline combo. You would not drive a 2.0l Focus like a 5.0l V8 would you? Different torque charecteristics necessitate a different driving style.

As for the IRS - it really does need the tickford suspension and wheel package(or simmilar) to give its best. That being said, I will never own an AU without IRS, pure and simple.

VCT vs HP - out of the box the VCT will run rings around the HP for sheer driveablilty. This based on real life experience off the show room floor, not some half baked Wheels Magazine "roadtest" (from a period that basically bagged anything that did not have a lion on the front) that has been quoted as gospel ever since.

Thats my opinion anyway, let the flames begin........
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #53
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
One thing i will say though, in standstill traffic the XR8 is hopeless (went through 1/4 tank in just 45 minutes),
Haha yeh the difference is huge. My car is used for my Daily Commute to Woolloomooloo in peak hour. If I don't do any highway driving and just putt around the suburbs the tank is bone dry after 330kms. 18l/100km+++

However I get it in the Low 9's on long trips.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #54
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
You're funny ... I like you.

Last Sunday my barge **** sloppy AU was quicker than a whole gaggle (in fact every one present) of MX5s there ... BTW this was my first run ever on this track ...

... and at Oran Park Jan just past this is what happened to an M3 (I was in my other barge **** AU for this one) ...

Sorry for the double post but I was just watching these and they are so unbelievably awesome.

Your exhaust sounds orgasmic inside the car too, what setup are you running on the bottom video with the M3?

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #55
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Sigh, yes. I was hoping most people would choose something other than what they have.

V8 Dual Fuel Fairmont Wagon is a pretty good one though.
You know how they say 3 out of 4 ain't bad? I just found an AU V8 Fairmont wagon that I may be taking a look at in the not too distant future. Might even strip the gas off the sedan ready to fit it to the wagon if I buy the wagon (it's 50/50 at the moment - funds being a major factor).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #56
Mr Hardware

ooh that sounds pretty good JC
what series AU? Colour? Kays? Condish? Price?
Old 15-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #57
T3man
Banned

Hey JC if you don't buy the wagon please send me the details.

sd1800> Sorry I haven't been back to this thread for a while and didn't see your question - the car in the Oran Park video is my black TE50 (as you can see it has TS interior). It has a slightly modified exhaust (2.5"cats and mid section to main mufflers which gives it a deeper note and about 10kW). It is running stock everything else including suspension and brakes - even the Dunlops are factory. It surprises a lot of people.
Old 15-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #58
tick6vct
AU-XR-S3-VCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_4EVA
amen brother what gear does the st include?

also settle this for me my mate has a ba xr8. i hate it. its slow for what it is, understeers like a pig, and is pretty tacky inside. however he keeps on trying to convince me how much better it handles then my series 3 vct. i beg to differ i think the au especialy in 6 form is a much better balanced car then ba. is au irs better then ba irs?? i need some pub ammo for tomoz!
Old 15-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #59
T3man
Banned

haha - that's an easy one. Just invite your mate to join you for a day at Wakefield Park - sure he'll do you down the straight, but your lap times will be at least equal if not better. I've seen a Camry flog a BA XR8 at Wakefield. The AU IRS is so far ahead of control blade that it isn't even a pub topic any more.
Old 16-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #60
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Hey JC if you don't buy the wagon please send me the details.

sd1800> Sorry I haven't been back to this thread for a while and didn't see your question - the car in the Oran Park video is my black TE50 (as you can see it has TS interior). It has a slightly modified exhaust (2.5"cats and mid section to main mufflers which gives it a deeper note and about 10kW). It is running stock everything else including suspension and brakes - even the Dunlops are factory. It surprises a lot of people.
PM sent. Missus has vetoed it (plus my Fairmont TQE does the job it needs to do - gets me to and from work every day).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post