Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default steering wheel shudder

hi guys

i was at centrelink the other day, i hopped in the car and went to reverse out and as soon as i turned the wheel i had this shuddering through my steering wheel, and knocking noise from my steering rack,

when im driving the car on the highway, i have no problem at all with it, only dose it when the car is stationary and turning the wheel

can any one help me would be good

becuase im not driving it anywhere to far till i fix it ,

cheers matt

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

check your brakes and stuff
Old 23-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im getting the rack replaced and a camber kit on, and i will see how its goes, the steering wheel is a bit loose, the guys who did my wheel alingment told me becuase of the width of the tyers and the size of them that the steering wheel will become more lose, is this true,

and after they did the alingment i have a knocking noise in my steering box, they told me its normal, is this true

bout 2 years ago when i first got my licence i put the car up the gutter and blew both left hand side tyers, so im thinking i did the damage then and now its starting to take affect,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
Old 23-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

i dont think that would do it if it was it would of done it when u did that but its only done it after the alingment id be thinking thay dident do it right or something along them lines
Old 23-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Erich

no - any knocking noise is "not" normal

Possibly may be rack - but it could be tie rod ends, or bushes etc. If you felt it when yiu reversed out at speed - thats scary right there!

A lot of places that do front ends will give you a free quote - takes 2 mins to check out the fronT end on an AU
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

It's also good practice to always be moving at least a little when turning the wheels. That relieves a lot of stress from the rack and pump.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah was just about to say that, my driving instructor drummed in into me to NEVER dry steer, always be moving.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i will check the power steering fluid today, and top it up, the rack was leaking before i bought the car off my parents, but didnt leave no oil marks on the ground,

good thing is i aint travelling far far away, so i need to get it done soon,

i went back to the place who did my alignment and they told me its becuase of the tyers or something, the suspension is all good just the steering rack has jumped a cog so the steering wheel is out a bit and and is very scary, i was slowly moving out of the park when it shudderd, never did it before

noe i have the problem with my tbar doing the same thing, my tbar has the jerks, dosent go into gears just jerks backwards and forwards,

i think maybe its stuffed or something, i dont no

Old 23-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

Your problem is you dry steered. Your trying to turn sticky rubber under about 800kg of weight on ashphalt. Not a smart thing to do.
Can you explain how a rack "Jumps a cog". Id love to know this one.
Old 23-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well see the rack has be knocked from my previous accident, so has koncked it and put the steering wheel out,

Old 23-09-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

It wouldnt be your rack that is out, Im no expert but Id say that is impossible. Your problem with alignment will be caused by tie rod's, rack ends, stub axle, etc, which when you hit something will put it out of place, not your steering rack.
Old 23-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

power steering pressure switch. i get this occasionally when turning the wheel too fast when moving slowly. its what has been said above, also, tyre pressures can affect it too as will wider tyres. the pressure switch controls how much fluid goes from the pump to the rack, so if not enough fluid is getting pumped through the steering will "lock up" and make the shuddering feeling. if you replace that first it should help with the problem. if you are loosing fluid and nothing is dripping on the ground it is probably leaking inside the steering rack boots, so it will need a new rack or your current one reconditioned.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #13
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can get one fitted by a mechanic shop for 500 bucks, trouble is they go and buy them from the wreckers and reco them, thats 500 bucks fitted and for the rack,

so i might go see my ex diesel mechanic who also loves his fords and find out how much for him to do it for me, and take it at the same time to be aligned at his alignment place,

Old 23-09-2009, 11:29 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
power steering pressure switch. i get this occasionally when turning the wheel too fast when moving slowly. its what has been said above, also, tyre pressures can affect it too as will wider tyres. the pressure switch controls how much fluid goes from the pump to the rack, so if not enough fluid is getting pumped through the steering will "lock up" and make the shuddering feeling. if you replace that first it should help with the problem. if you are loosing fluid and nothing is dripping on the ground it is probably leaking inside the steering rack boots, so it will need a new rack or your current one reconditioned.
Agree 100% with this diagnosis.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #15
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for that, getting it check very soon by my parents mechanic

Old 24-09-2009, 12:43 AM   #16
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
power steering pressure switch.
Cheers mate. I get it as well but only reversing out of my drive when I swing onto the road. Nowhere else!

No leaks or fluid usage so I'll try a pressure switch first.

oh, is it the same pressure switch for speed sensitive and non-speed sensitive models?

Last edited by ronwest; 24-09-2009 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Further question
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 01:18 AM   #17
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might be that we are steering it to far around untill it cant go no more and its causing it

Old 24-09-2009, 02:00 AM   #18
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frd906
might be that we are steering it to far around untill it cant go no more and its causing it
Not in my case, at least.
Not turning ps to full lock is something I learned 30 years ago ;)
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #19
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

question is e series power steering rack same as au series 1 rack

Old 29-09-2009, 01:45 AM   #20
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
question is e series power steering rack same as au series 1 rack
no they are different, e series bolts down au bolts on and probably other differences to.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #21
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bummer.

i guess a new one through ford would cost me a arm and a leg.

im waiting for ford to get back to me on how much a brand new one is from there supplier is,

so will wait and see,

im going to day to my mechanic and get him to take it for a drive and to inspect it to see if it is the rack, will update laters

Old 30-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #22
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$360 for new power steering rack from ford with warranty,

should be fitted next week by my mechanic,

also my lifters done with a service at the same time cheers

Old 30-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #23
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Can you explain how a rack "Jumps a cog". Id love to know this one.

Easy answer there. Check out an exploded view of a rack and you'll understand. I will say, it was wrong terminology with the use of the word "cog"

If the rack is loosing fluid, replace it. It is also possible, the knock you gave it a couple of years ago may have come back to haunt you in the rack.

Replace it and I'm sure you're problems will be solved
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:00 PM   #24
The Monty
Just slidin'

The rack I pulled out of my car was exploded. It was in a few pieces when we pulled it off, lol. I only drove it around the block and nearly crashed, and wondered why the hell it was so hard to steer. Plus the rack was bent so far on one side it was rubbing on the sway bar (iirc).
Old 30-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #25
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the rack has copped a few knocks, humps and bumps the 2 accidents i had,

it is leaking and was told it would drop out, the box that is

answer this

in theroy do they set the wheels up so it pulls off the left, so when you fall asleep behind the wheel the car will take you slowly off the road instead of going into the traffic, what the guys at the wheel alingment place told me??

Old 30-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #26
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:

answer this

in theroy do they set the wheels up so it pulls off the left, so when you fall asleep behind the wheel the car will take you slowly off the road instead of going into the traffic, what the guys at the wheel alingment place told me??

Ummm,that would be the camber on the road me thinks.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #27
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went back there 2 or 3 times and told them the left hand wheel is out,

they kept saying that all cars have a slight pull to the left so if you fall asleep its designed to pull you off the road instead on to on comming traffic

Old 30-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #28
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Could be,would be a new one for me.I hear what your saying though.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #29
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill find out next week when i do my wheel alingment at another place where my mechanic takes his to be done

Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #30
The Monty
Just slidin'

Correct Matt, or so the old saying goes.