Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default The "BOSS GT" might be going !!!

ok . the wife is toying with the idea of upgdating the GT .
with a SUBARU WRX MY 11 .
i know this is ford and i'm die hard ford , and FPV . i could easily keep it till it goes to FPV heaven , but the wife likes to move things on .
what do people think of WRX MY 11 . CARS ??? not the sti version , but the sedan or hatch /standard or premium ones . around mid 40's price range , however the wife says her budget is 35 to 40k for a subaru , but i dont know what shes looking at , the son says she is looking at wrx's ??BELIEVE ME this suggestion caused a massive argument , and lots of name calling to the point where i wont be getting sex for some time , however now that i'm calm i must consider and look into it before she goes and trades unexpectadly . its 1/2 in my name so that cant happen , but you know what i mean , i need to be subjectively prepared .

any advice or suggestions , might be better to hold off to the new year , as they'rell be runouts on , and the GT isnt really going to drop to much more as they have already come down depreciatewd over the years .
give your thoughts on trading a BA GT MKII 6 SPD MAN , ON A SUBARU .
IT'S NOT MY IDEA OR CHOICE OF CAR ITS THE WIFES . , however i'd like to consider others too . i'd like to look at a fully specced focus , ( not the RS) . OR EVEN A HYUNDIA elantra fully specced as an alternative cheaper veiw than the WRX . fg xr6's are pretty much out , as we already have one .

please suggestions and advice/ help appreciated , you can even donate to the cause if you like LOL

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Re: The "BOSS GT" might be going !!!

Hatch if you can help it, the sedan is all kinds of awful in the looks department.

Maybe head her towards the local Ford dealership and test drive an XR5T?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ergh....

Not a fan of the current Impreza range...

Maybe a Liberty GT is more what your looking for?
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Hatch if you can help it, the sedan is all kinds of awful in the looks department.

Maybe head her towards the local Ford dealership and test drive an XR5T?
Theres a few of these left, and at 30kay they are good buying!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
gtfpv
GT

Just checked liberty GT , out of the question .
Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Trade the wife in
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
Trade the wife in
hehehe . nice suggestion , do some research on that one . most man who try this end up being the one thats traded in !!
Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Maybe you should just keep the GT and tell your wife to buy her own car? Seems so many men are forced to give up their toy because the wife just has to have the latest and greatest new car. I'd tell her to leave your car alone and flog the xr6 off if she's so desperate to have a Subaru.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
gtfpv
GT

heres a link to one i've just looked at and have enquired about
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automo...D1180001281764
Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I'm in the process of selling my MY99 WRX (had it for 11 years) and my wife drives a MY01 WRX.

I'm not a fan of the new range of Subaru's either which is why I didn't upgrade to a new one. But Subaru are good cars but small. Even the liberty is small. The WRX has plenty of poke and with AWD is pretty safe too. Insurance is expensive though. Although having said that, Shannons were dearer for my new XR than what I pay for my WRX. So they didn't get my business.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since your wife is into manual sporty cars ... why not a clean second hand Evo9 ... you might even love to drive it
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Maybe you should just keep the GT and tell your wife to buy her own car? Seems so many men are forced to give up their toy because the wife just has to have the latest and greatest new car. I'd tell her to leave your car alone and flog the xr6 off if she's so desperate to have a Subaru.
Yeah but you're single...

And you drink cider
Old 04-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
My comment was obviously said in jest, but Iggy's post makes the most sense. My hat is tipped Iggy
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Tobey
BF Ute...

I'd swap it. Newer tech, less issues, sportier car...
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

And if I wasn't Russ I'd still maintain my sentiment
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
And if I wasn't Russ I'd still maintain my sentiment
and you have a strange bear fetish....
Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

i'll answer a few questions here , and explain my view . we own the GT , paid in the 60's for it new . , new replacement these days is 70- 80 g forget it . i am leasing the FG xr6 , that is mine , if i pay that out and sell it , i'll have $0 so the fg xr6 stays , as its my high km driving car .
which means the widfe is the driver of the GT and always has been , i would like to keep it , thats the cheapest option , as it stilll has plenty of life in it , and still has the performance and wow factor .
the wife wants to basically sell the equity and top it up for a newer car . this actually is a viable option , we can buy a new car for 10 000 to 20 000 outlay after trading or selling the GT.
before we had to outlay over 50 000 to buy the gt . so there is method in the wifes idea .
Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new MY11 WRX has improved now that it uses the same wide body as the STi. It is starting to get back a bit of aggression. The WRX is no slouch and will put a grin on your face, however every man and his dog as a late model WRX now that they have moved away from the track day boy racer look.
They don't feel very refined when you hop inside which really turned me off.
But they do offer a lot of bang for your buck performance wise.
You would really have to go and have a long hard look at one as they arnt everyone's cup of tea.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i'll answer a few questions here , and explain my view . we own the GT , paid in the 60's for it new . , new replacement these days is 70- 80 g forget it . i am leasing the FG xr6 , that is mine , if i pay that out and sell it , i'll have $0 so the fg xr6 stays , as its my high km driving car .
which means the widfe is the driver of the GT and always has been , i would like to keep it , thats the cheapest option , as it stilll has plenty of life in it , and still has the performance and wow factor .
the wife wants to basically sell the equity and top it up for a newer car . this actually is a viable option , we can buy a new car for 10 000 to 20 000 outlay after trading or selling the GT.
before we had to outlay over 50 000 to buy the gt . so there is method in the wifes idea .

Frank....Just tell her "no !" problem solved
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #20
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thought you said upgrade? that would be fg s/c gt wouldn't it....lol
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #21
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
thought you said upgrade? that would be fg s/c gt wouldn't it....lol

sorry . update .
Old 04-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #22
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

gtfpv I'm sorry I just feel for you really - your up a creek without a paddle imo looking at your scenario - in over your head, leasing a vehicle always looks good through the tax break scenarios and as you mention paying it out and more what the thing is worth you don't even get to 0 but - 0 then your joint ownership on the GT purchase far out.
Looking at a $46k suby trade in GT I don't see near $10k changeover but more on $20k + give or take and does this incl Insurance rego ?
So your wife's method is that after laying out $50k for a depreciating item 8yrs down the track $20+ k is acceptable ? strouth I'm glad my wife isn't like this - follow GT0132 post imo, keep the good ol boss but I think I see which boss is the winner LOL.....sorry mate couldn't help myself.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
gtfpv I'm sorry I just feel for you really - your up a creek without a paddle imo looking at your scenario - in over your head, leasing a vehicle always looks good through the tax break scenarios and as you mention paying it out and more what the thing is worth you don't even get to 0 but - 0 then your joint ownership on the GT purchase far out.
Looking at a $46k suby trade in GT I don't see near $10k changeover but more on $20k + give or take and does this incl Insurance rego ?
So your wife's method is that after laying out $50k for a depreciating item 8yrs down the track $20+ k is acceptable ? strouth I'm glad my wife isn't like this - follow GT0132 post imo, keep the good ol boss but I think I see which boss is the winner LOL.....sorry mate couldn't help myself.

yes your right . i'm talking 10 k on a cheaper car , and 20k on the wrx give or take that depends on time too .. 10k though , elentra wise . is keeping the wife quiet and buying time till the next roar of dissatisfaction rears its head . . the reality is most people who buy new cars are in this boat , denigh it or not .

and PETE !! no was the politest word i said on the day lol . i wish i did just say no .
Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: The "BOSS GT" might be going !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Theres a few of these left, and at 30kay they are good buying!
Being hit with the ugly stick 7 times makes the "FUGLY"
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Did he say hes in over his head?

I think he can afford his Lease XR6 going by most of his posts??

If something goes wrong on the GT and he has to spend 10 kay on it, do you think that would be a good investment? Id get out of it and get into something newer and more cost effective / efficient... The upgrade will see cheaper rego, cheaper fuel, warranty and even higher safety features through side curtain bags, dsc etc that the GT would not have.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #26
Rodge
Banned

Being married myself and well aware of how relationships work in the real world,
you've already argued your case strongly and if she's still determined to go ahead I'd
encourage you to be philosophical, there are far worse cars out there than the WRX
and for the money they're a good buy and a lot of fun through the twisty stuff.

Assuming a demo SC GT at circa $65K is out of the question, (if it isn't I'd get her
behind the wheel of one pronto), perhaps you should just go with the flow, after all its
her drive car right ?

Is the glass half full or half empty...think about it, it could be worse, you could be
married to a wife who's not a car enthusiast at all, but a greenie and wants to drive a
hybrid !! Feel a bit better now ? Don't do the Hyundai Elantra thing, they look okay but
handling and performance...oh dear...
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #27
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Did he say hes in over his head?

I think he can afford his Lease XR6 going by most of his posts??

If something goes wrong on the GT and he has to spend 10 kay on it, do you think that would be a good investment? Id get out of it and get into something newer and more cost effective / efficient... The upgrade will see cheaper rego, cheaper fuel, warranty and even higher safety features through side curtain bags, dsc etc that the GT would not have.

your right too dash . i can do this wihtout borrowing a cent . . i cant go to a new GT THOUGH , that would mean topping up a comfortably low mortgage , which wont be happening .
Old 04-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #28
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
Being married myself and well aware of how relationships work in the real world,
you've already argued your case strongly and if she's still determined to go ahead I'd
encourage you to be philosophical, there are far worse cars out there than the WRX
and for the money they're a good buy and a lot of fun through the twisty stuff.

Assuming a demo SC GT at circa $65K is out of the question, (if it isn't I'd get her
behind the wheel of one pronto), perhaps you should just go with the flow, after all its
her drive car right ?

Is the glass half full or half empty...think about it, it could be worse, you could be
married to a wife who's not a car enthusiast at all, but a greenie and wants to drive a
hybrid !! Feel a bit better now ?
above is a good one.....

DASH - I respect your accounting background and then your positive spin scenario but in respect of gtfpv's thread and his fair reply to mine I find no reason for us to go back and forth over my opinion as opposed to yours OK just not worth it
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
above is a good one.....

DASH - I respect your accounting background and then your positive spin scenario but in respect of gtfpv's thread and his fair reply to mine I find no reason for us to go back and forth over my opinion as opposed to yours OK just not worth it
I respect your comments too mate.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #30
Angeldust

lol... i did the same thing nearly.. i traded my VX SS on a 2005 WRX...

biggest mistake ever. I traded the WRX back within 6days of ownership, took the 6K loss on the chin, and went out and bought a VY SS.

The WRX is 1/2 the car you GT is.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post