Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 
Default Toll Fine for Personalised Plates

Just got a call from my brother who has received a fine for not paying a toll while driving through the Clem 7 Tunnel. They have said that he was driving a car with his personalised plates AAA 11 (eg.)

Funny points are:
Plates havent been used or on a car since 2004.
He hasnt had a registered car since 2004.
He lives approx 1400klms away from the tunnel.
He was at work at the time of the fine.
He would be in jail if he had to drive down here (road rage....he`s happy up in his little "nest")

He wants me to sort it out for him as he hates the internet and refuses to deal with this sort of idiocy. The toll payment website gives no option for this type of situation so I will have to ring them tomorrow to ask.

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of thing before and do I have a chance of sorting this without being the "charged driver" ??

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toll Fine for Personalised Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpMyHubcap
Just got a call from my brother who has received a fine for not paying a toll while driving through the Clem 7 Tunnel. They have said that he was driving a car with his personalised plates AAA 11 (eg.)

Funny points are:
Plates havent been used or on a car since 2004.
He hasnt had a registered car since 2004.
He lives approx 1400klms away from the tunnel.
He was at work at the time of the fine.
He would be in jail if he had to drive down here (road rage....he`s happy up in his little "nest")

He wants me to sort it out for him as he hates the internet and refuses to deal with this sort of idiocy. The toll payment website gives no option for this type of situation so I will have to ring them tomorrow to ask.

Has anyone ever dealt with this type of thing before and do I have a chance of sorting this without being the "charged driver" ??

Cheers
Mick
Don't muck about, straight to Aunty Tracey.....ACA just lurve Clem 7....
Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, are the plates in the photo the same as your brother's plates, or was there no photo accompanying the fine?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Cúl-Báire

Have someone write a nasty legal letter, attached a stat dec stating the above and that it couldn't have been him. In the letter threaten further action if the fine isn't dropped!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Not sure why this warrants a thread - just ring them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cúl-Báire
Have someone write a nasty legal letter, attached a stat dec stating the above and that it couldn't have been him. In the letter threaten further action if the fine isn't dropped!
Bit dramatic don't you think?

Oo\===/oO

Last edited by Peuty; 03-11-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #6
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
He rang me 2 hours ago and I will be calling tomorrow. I wanted to know if it happened to anyone else and what procedure they went through. I will post here tomorrow after I call them so others can see what happened.

Close the thread if its not worthy. Others can just bludgeon their way through if it happens to them.

Edit: I like flappists idea better

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Well, are the plates in the photo the same as your brother's plates, or was there no photo accompanying the fine?
No photo.

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:37 AM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

You didn't get the fine. Your brother did. So no you can't sort it out, other than pay his fine.

Yeah, you can ring ACA, but you'd look stupid saying "my brother got a fine and he can't be bothered sorting it out, for what ever reasons, so I'll be his voice"

The same applies with the fines unit. They will want to speak to the person that got the fine, not his mouth piece. ie you.

No disrespect towards you or your brother, but it's something he'll have to sort out.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 04-11-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happens quite often you'll find.
Just write a letter with those point youve brought up and leave it at that.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
Kryton

Ive recieved a Toll fine from somewhere in NSW - even though my car has never been in NSW.
I have also recieved a Toll fine from a Tollway in Melbourne - problem was though that the car in question had been sitting at the wreckers for the prvious 18 months.
Personally inspected the vehicle again and it hadnt moved.
Simply write a letter stating that it is impossible for whatever reason that it couldnt have been that car and send it off. - Whoevers car it is needs to do this.
if he is too lazy to do it, let him cop the fine.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #11
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

QLD Motorways and the govia website are she-ite. Im not big on using toll roads so try to avoid them but the gateway is handy if I have to head over the Wynnum or Cleveland etc.
In the 3 instances I have used the bridge the toll has been cocked up. First time I paid on the website but it didnt take my money so a letter arrived. Apparently I must be stupid and could not enter my rego number correctly. Took 45mins on the phone of not giving up to have the fine removed. The other times I have phoned up after the trip only to not be able to get through ( a 1300 number engaged for huge lengths of time????) and when you do get through they try to sting you for other tolls you have already paid.
Of course all of this is my fault and not theirs.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 04-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
Chris_Rogers01

Heard heaps of people getting done with fines that are not theirs and they have all taken on the fines and "most" of them had their fines dropped if it was me, i would be taking the fines straight to the them, and if that doesn't work some people have had their stories on the news lol
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Er...not to mention the tittle of the thread is misleading/ doesnt make sense.
(It infers you got a fine because you had personalised plates).

If your brother doesnt care why should you?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 04-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #14
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Dont know why you would think that. Only tried to keep the title from sprawling across the page.

Quote:
If your brother doesnt care why should you?
Because he is my brother who takes me fishing when I`m up there. Think Barrattas Jim which is his second home.

Thanks for the other suggestions guys.

Cheers

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
You didn't get the fine. Your brother did. So no you can't sort it out, other than pay his fine.
A phonecall may reveal the best person for him to talk to about the situation so I will see how far I can go.

Quote:
Yeah, you can ring ACA, but you'd look stupid saying "my brother got a fine and he can't be bothered sorting it out, for what ever reasons, so I'll be his voice"
Sorry for that reply. I couldnt find the "sarcastic smiley"

Quote:
The same applies with the fines unit. They will want to speak to the person that got the fine, not his mouth piece. ie you.

No disrespect towards you or your brother, but it's something he'll have to sort out.
My brother is a very socially inept person who keeps to himself (work, fishing, drinking and sleep with no emphasis on the sleep part) and would not know how a company like this works. He thinks he has to pay but there must be someone up there who is telling him to arc up.

Some new info: Those plates were on ebay for 10 days trying to be sold. Would someone see the listing and say "we might use those (mod their plate) to skip fines" ????

Cheers

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
Andy777

i got a toll fine for a road i have never been on, at a time i was at work, and to top it off my car was off the road getting some mods

so i rang up the number on the bottom of the notice, gave them the fine number, gave them the above reasons, they said they would investigate it, after 2 weeks they sent me a letter saying to discard the toll notice
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy777
i got a toll fine for a road i have never been on, at a time i was at work, and to top it off my car was off the road getting some mods

so i rang up the number on the bottom of the notice, gave them the fine number, gave them the above reasons, they said they would investigate it, after 2 weeks they sent me a letter saying to discard the toll notice
Thats what I wanted to hear Andy. I hope it all goes that way. Thanks

Cheers

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #18
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
what, you never dealt with a sudo-govt dept? they don't use common sense it proves they do make mistakes and you should check their bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers01
Heard heaps of people getting done with fines that are not theirs and they have all taken on the fines and "most" of them had their fines dropped if it was me, i would be taking the fines straight to the them, and if that doesn't work some people have had their stories on the news lol
oh, it's a big consipracy that they send bills out randomly in the hopes someone will be stupid enough to pay it. lol. hey, it works for the nigerian scammers...
Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #19
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's pretty much what I thought, I thought it was about a new fine process plan or something where personalised plates cop bigger toll fees

1993 Honda VFR750F
Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Ring posing as your brother. Problem solved.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #21
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Ring posing as your brother. Problem solved.
That was my first thought but it could lead to trouble if things got into the stat dec/JP area.

Cheers

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #22
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Write a letter, keep a copy. Keep a record of ANYTHING that is done regarding this - that way IF they escalate it, you have all your facts in order.

However, a letter outlining the circumstances should solve the issue.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #23
Dodd

Citylink here in VIC ended up charging me over $120 for a number plate that been attached to my etag... i rang them up, explained the situation, had the number plate removed and got a refund.

If its a genuine mistake, and you can prove it, shouldn't have any problems with a phonecall.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy solution...tell him to ring up and sort it out himself...
If he "refuses to deal with this sort of idiocy" then that's his problem, not yours. This just means that once you start dealing with them, if he refuses to, you will be the one they start chasing in relation to it.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #25
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

All done.

Took a bit of searching to find the right number to get a person on the phone (select the "open new account option" after dialling the 13---- number)

Only 5 minutes on hold and a nice lady listened to me and then put me on hold to go and check out the image. 2 minutes later she was back to say that she was sending a message to her superior to cancel the invoice because she couldnt properly make out the number plate. Apparently if Flowtoll cant see the plate properly, they send the image to QLD Transport who just send the ticket to the "closest plate available

Didnt think they would let me sort it but hey it worked. Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #26
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"they send the image to QLD Transport who just send the ticket to the "closest plate available "

WTF??????

is that serious?
Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
jrfttf
Getting By!?

been in a similar position with the melbourne citylink toll system, recieved a fine/billed for a car that had never been there, turns out the 3rd umpire (photo) was of a same colour car/same make but instead of a O in the rego combo on our car it had a Q, citylink were very apologetic and it was sorted straight away, all i cost was a phone call to sort it.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #28
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfttf
been in a similar position with the melbourne citylink toll system, recieved a fine/billed for a car that had never been there, turns out the 3rd umpire (photo) was of a same colour car/same make but instead of a O in the rego combo on our car it had a Q, citylink were very apologetic and it was sorted straight away, all i cost was a phone call to sort it.
The fact still remains that it cost you a phone call! I know it is stuff all but it is up to them to get the system right! the more people that arc up & take them to ACA & media the more they will have to do about it!

They makes millions it won`t hurt them to get it bloody right!
Mention court & I got proof bet they soon back down & pay up what they owe!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

I had this happen earlier in the year. Photo of a white van apparently with my plates from a car I had sold about 9 years ago (blue xd sedan???). Rang them up, 15 minutes on the phone and they sorted it out, let me know via letter about a week later.

As previously mentioned, when they can't read the plate properly, they go to QLD transport and find the closest match to what info they have, then forward the fine. It's quite painless to settle though.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #30
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=1970XW351

As previously mentioned, when they can't read the plate properly, they go to QLD transport and find the closest match to what info they have, then forward the fine. It's quite painless to settle though.[/QUOTE]

well thats just garbage in my opinion.

they are basically saying, "we don't know who committed the crime, but because we don't know, we will basically plant the crime on someone else and if they are stupid enough they will pay it".

if you can't see the number, the photo has to be binned. planting on "the next best plate" is tantamount to fraud.

" i'm sorry officer, this vb commodore "looked" like mine so i took it"

after all, all early commo keys open all early commos.....
Closed Thread