Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-03-2021, 02:30 PM   #9841
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Leesa u got to respect other people's decisions too mate. The fact u don't trust the vaccines given, is the very reason why others are wary, even if more than you.
and forget the gender mention from here on, as far as I'm concerned your a bloke naked in the basement, happens to many I hear.
I couldn't care you were cross/bi/he/she/lady/boy/dyke yaddayadda
Your a forum "member" not meaning a tool by the way

I agree what has been mentioned from previous posting some time ago, you go search for it if you feel inclined but I do like seeing your pov even though I don't agree with it all just as some wouldn't agree with mine.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #9842
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, apparently we can go to new ziland now.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #9843
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah and our Government made a announcement today that April 6 will be the date they will make a announcement for the date we have quarantine free travel with Australia . Geez its not like they haven't had enough time to get there ducks in a row on this, meanwhile tourism businesses are going down the toilet here.

Last edited by five 7; 23-03-2021 at 04:58 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #9844
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Are they engaging a consultant to evaluate the formation of a study group who might look into the establishment of a committee that would release a report which the government acknowledged but refused to make binding commitments upon?

#gravytrain #wouldntknowiftheirarseswereonfire
6 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #9845
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Eve Black, AKA Evgenia Limberiou, has made a right circus of a court appearance for some of her antics during the Melbourne restrictions period:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...ourt/100023066
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #9846
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leesa, curious why you would feel safer with the Pfizer to the AZ. Both use relatively new technology, and both have had their own "news" in terms of side effects.

Actually I think I read that Pfizer (and Moderna) is based on the newest technology of them all, and is the one that is more likely to generate severe effects, and has never been licensed in humans until now.

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/th...-how-they-work

And for anyone interested, here is a list of all the CV vaccines currently under development (82) or in pre clinical trials (182).

https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/defau...&download=true
This user likes this post:
Old 23-03-2021, 10:52 PM   #9847
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ugly people, wearing a mask is a confidence booster.
Old 23-03-2021, 11:09 PM   #9848
leesa

Yeah nah I'm going to maintain that I didn't belittle anyone. Yes I've clearly had different views from others but the definition of the word is important and I just don't think I was as nasty as some of you are making out. If anyone here has felt belittled because I had a different opinion and pointed it out, to be honest I think that's largely an issue on your side and to a degree I still say that if the same comments were said to you by a man, you wouldn't have felt belittled by them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Leesa, curious why you would feel safer with the Pfizer to the AZ. Both use relatively new technology, and both have had their own "news" in terms of side effects.

Actually I think I read that Pfizer (and Moderna) is based on the newest technology of them all, and is the one that is more likely to generate severe effects, and has never been licensed in humans until now.
I didn't say I felt safer with pfizer or unsafe by astrazeneca, I said that I want the pfizer and am not open to taking the other. It's proven to be a more effective vaccine, the RNA technology is better (in my personal opinion) and there's been more controversy in the news over the astrazeneca shot.

The more severe side effects don't bother me, if that's even true. Being based off a newer technology doesn't bother me either, that tech has been used for a little while in cancer treatments so it's not brand-brand-new and completely untested.

Scomo brushing aside other countries raising concerns about blood clots is the clincher for me. Deciding that the risk to people who will develop clots is a better option than pausing to further test the vaccine, ethically that doesn't sit right with me. He's effectively signed some peoples' death warrants and decided that it's an acceptable loss of life for the greater good. That's not really okay in my book, but that's just my opinion. We shut down the whole country because everyone's life mattered, especially those nearing the end of their lives which was even the minority. Every life was supposed to count. Just not anymore when they're standing in the way of the country firing back up, I guess.

Old 24-03-2021, 01:12 AM   #9849
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Actually I think I read that Pfizer (and Moderna) is based on the newest technology of them all, and is the one that is more
likely to generate severe effects, and has never been licensed in humans until now.
https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/th...-how-they-work

And for anyone interested, here is a list of all the CV vaccines currently under development (82) or in pre clinical trials (182).
https://cdn.who.int/media/docs/defau...&download=true
Be interesting to see how the logistics and how organised this rollout will play out with these two shot vaccines - whether people will fall
through the cracks after the first shot and not receive a second. AFAIK the first is only 15-20% protection against moderate/severe effects.

And it seems the tests are still in progress whether you can mix Pfizer and AZ shots.

I couldn't open that list of vaccines - were there any other single shot like the recently released US Johnson & Johnson vaccine?
AFAIK, it's the only one so far.
Old 24-03-2021, 01:26 AM   #9850
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had my first Moderna shot on friday.

Case study:
results: 100% safe

Method: Empirical observation - I did not die
Sample size: 1 old fart

Caution - ANY study can be irrelevant based on how they select the subjects and how many subjects. For example think about your opinion of covid re-infection, likely based on hype on TV - now go look at the figures from any actual studies, any available statistics. Look at how they chose their data, any reason for question ? what were the percentages ?

I have not looked into blood clotting from AZ, but I did hear that is was not at a greater rate than is statistically normal, based on the demographics of those with problems.
Old 24-03-2021, 02:27 AM   #9851
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Be interesting to see how the logistics and how organised this rollout will play out with these two shot vaccines - whether people will fall
through the cracks after the first shot and not receive a second. AFAIK the first is only 15-20% protection against moderate/severe effects.

And it seems the tests are still in progress whether you can mix Pfizer and AZ shots.

I couldn't open that list of vaccines - were there any other single shot like the recently released US Johnson & Johnson vaccine?
AFAIK, it's the only one so far.
On the clinical tab, there are 19 vaccines with 1 (one dose) or 1-2 (one or two doses) or 1-2-3 (one or two or three doses). Janssen (J&J) is listed as 1-2.

There are 11 vaccines with purely just 1 dose listed on the clinical tab. Of that 11, only 1 is in phase 3 - Cansino.

The spreadsheet is dated 16th March.

If you click on that link, it should download a zip file. In that zip file is the excel file with the data.
Old 24-03-2021, 09:46 AM   #9852
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

After a year of lockdowns, we're back to a more 'normal' year — with 'waned' immunity

Quote:
Off the back of a year of COVID-19 infections, social distancing and lockdowns, we're back to a more "normal" year — but with "waned immunity".

Experts say that because in 2020 we were not exposed to viruses and infections — other than COVID-19 — at the usual rate, many people have become so-called "naive" to them.

This is most apparent in the recent "large resurgence" of respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) — a virus that typically affects infants and young children.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...n=abc_news_web
Old 24-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #9853
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I saw that. Maybe we need another lockdown to stop these lesser infections spreading?
Old 24-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #9854
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 23rd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

6 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.112%.

No new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.056% and active cases 62.

The UK had a higher 5,379 cases yesterday and 112 deaths.

Just under 45k new cases in the USA yesterday and 638 deaths sees CMR at 1.818%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Asia sets a new daily high of 133,682 - the previous high on 3/12/20;
Asia passes 27M cases;
Brazil passes 12M cases;

Togo (187);
Greece (3,517); and
Bulgaria (4,851) - the previous high on 17/11/20;

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Bangladesh moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 02:43 PM   #9855
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...24-p57dkz.html
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 24-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #9856
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

I'm not sure I want the Pfizer vaccine TBH. From what I have seen and heard, side effects include a loss of memory, heightened ability to make inappropriate comments and inability to be truthful.

Our PM has had the Pfizer vaccine, and it seems to have effected his memory, lead him to make inappropriate and false comments, all after being injected with the Pfizer vaccine. I'm thinking the AZ vaccine is a better option.
Old 24-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #9857
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You must have been one of the first to get it with all the crap you have been spewing for the last 12 months
5 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #9858
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this argument about what vaccine someone gets is not taking into account reality. You have to make a bet on what may be effective to get in the queue and we also need 50m doses that's not including whatever else we have pledged

Not only is the Pfizer expensive, it needs special conditions to transport and store.

We ordered Pfizer to vaccinate high priority groups and also ordered AZ overseas batches to fill the gap while local production ramps up.

We have already seen the **** fight going on and we are lucky we are able to produce our own.

The TGA has just approved over 800k batch of CSL produced AZ and they are aiming to get that over 1m a week. We could potentially help the rest of the world with this capability.

The efficacy of both is better that 0. NZ has gone the full Pfizer route so it will be interesting to compare but ordering and getting are two different things especially comparing 10m vs 50m.
Old 24-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #9859
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

It wouldn’t surprise me if Australia ends up supplying New Zealand with locally manufactured AstraZeneca when Pfizer can’t fulfil delivery commitments.
Old 24-03-2021, 08:46 PM   #9860
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
It wouldn’t surprise me if Australia ends up supplying New Zealand with locally manufactured AstraZeneca when Pfizer can’t fulfil delivery commitments.
I believe there was talk about this previously. We may like I said end up getting licence to make more depending how it goes especially with the EU drama and we a few in the world that are making it.

The reality is at the moment most people will get AZ with Pfizer not an option so if you're set on that choice which is between 0 or 70+%. It just seems crazy to me. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
Old 24-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #9861
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Yeah nah I'm going to maintain that I didn't belittle anyone. Yes I've clearly had different views from others but the definition of the word is important and I just don't think I was as nasty as some of you are making out. If anyone here has felt belittled because I had a different opinion and pointed it out, to be honest I think that's largely an issue on your side and to a degree I still say that if the same comments were said to you by a man, you wouldn't have felt belittled by them.

I didn't say I felt safer with pfizer or unsafe by astrazeneca, I said that I want the pfizer and am not open to taking the other. It's proven to be a more effective vaccine, the RNA technology is better (in my personal opinion) and there's been more controversy in the news over the astrazeneca shot.

The more severe side effects don't bother me, if that's even true. Being based off a newer technology doesn't bother me either, that tech has been used for a little while in cancer treatments so it's not brand-brand-new and completely untested.

Scomo brushing aside other countries raising concerns about blood clots is the clincher for me. Deciding that the risk to people who will develop clots is a better option than pausing to further test the vaccine, ethically that doesn't sit right with me. He's effectively signed some peoples' death warrants and decided that it's an acceptable loss of life for the greater good. That's not really okay in my book, but that's just my opinion. We shut down the whole country because everyone's life mattered, especially those nearing the end of their lives which was even the minority. Every life was supposed to count. Just not anymore when they're standing in the way of the country firing back up, I guess.

I can understand your concerns with the risk of blood clotting with the vaccine but you tell me one vaccine in existence that does not pose a risk to anyone.
I truly hope you get your preferred option of the vaccine but I will take what is given at the time, what ever version of vaccine you get is better than none at all.
Cheers
3 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 10:03 PM   #9862
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I'm not sure I want the Pfizer vaccine TBH. From what I have seen and heard, side effects include a loss of memory, heightened ability to make inappropriate comments and inability to be truthful.

Our PM has had the Pfizer vaccine, and it seems to have effected his memory, lead him to make inappropriate and false comments, all after being injected with the Pfizer vaccine. I'm thinking the AZ vaccine is a better option.

I was about to say you were talking through your anus again...but then I realized you were just scoring a cheap political shot in an adult discussion.
4 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 10:38 PM   #9863
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...e-it/100023114
2 users like this post:
Old 24-03-2021, 11:21 PM   #9864
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Credit where credit is due, feds made a brilliant call to get the rights to manufacture AZ here.

But if NZ actually gets their Pfizer orders and are able to administer them in the time announced, there will be some red faces here, even though we say "its not a competition".

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Interesting...sounds a bit like an antidote.

An estimated 30% have long covid. My gawd, thank *beep* we didn't learn to live with it.

Last edited by T3rminator; 24-03-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 25-03-2021, 12:21 AM   #9865
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL at this vaccine envy, the "grass is always greener" if someone has what you can't have attitude.

Jeez, people are strange creatures always wanting what someone else has if they're ever told they can't have it (then what they can't have becomes the gold standard LOL).
pfizer have a lot of history of mucking things up and it was also the first to market being the most rushed, yet people think it must be the best because 'stocks are limited'.

No wonder people in marketing and advertising always make the big bucks...

"Pfizer has faced thousands of lawsuits filed for medical injuries caused by some of its most popular drugs, like prempro (breast cancer), chantix and effexor (suicide, mental disorders and birth defects). It has also set a record for the largest fine paid for a health care fraud lawsuit filed by the U.S. Department of Justice. Pfizer paid $2.3 billion in fines, penalties, and settlements"

Last edited by oldel; 25-03-2021 at 12:28 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2021, 12:40 AM   #9866
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Greed' and 'capitalism' helped UK's vaccines success, says PM

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56504546

Ouch.........Bojo had the AZ, and seems to be suffering from the same side effect.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 25-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #9867
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

No more EU produced AZ for us...

EU looks to tighten vaccine controls as Australia ramps up local production

Quote:
The European Union has moved towards further tightening export controls for coronavirus vaccines, weeks after Italy blocked the export of a quarter of a million AstraZeneca doses to Australia.

In a move seemingly targeted more at the UK than Australia, the EU is seeking to make sure there are more COVID-19 shots to boost the bloc's flagging vaccine campaign as new infections surge.

On Wednesday (early Thursday AEDT), its executive body said it had a plan to guarantee more vaccines produced in the bloc were available for its own citizens even if it came at the cost of helping other nations.
https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...e-bb51815496af
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #9868
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Brexit fail?

Its not the end of the world for us really, Id prefer it be inhouse. Give our channels more experience, would mean more jobs/work etc
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2021, 01:21 PM   #9869
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT March 25th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

7 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.111%.

8 new cases and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.053% and active cases 67.

The UK had a higher 5,604 cases yesterday and 98 deaths.

Just over 60k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,070 deaths sees CMR at 1.818%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 125M, the last 1M in 2days;
Global deaths pass 2,75M, the last 50k in 6 days;
Asia sets a new daily high of 145,175;
Europe passes 38M cases;
Brazil passes 300k deaths;

Caribbean Netherlands (73);
Mongolia (218);
Curaçao (250);
PNG (351);
Moldova (2,273);
Paraguay (2,688);
Bulgaria (4,851);
Iraq (6,051);
Peru (11,260) - the previous high on 16/8/20; and
Poland (29,978) -
the previous high on 7/11/20

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Germany moves above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Austria drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #9870
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

International flights into Melbourne to resume after Easter

International flights to Melbourne will resume after Easter, following major reviews of the state's beleaguered hotel quarantine system, with airflow out of hotel rooms blamed for the leakage of the virus which caused Melbourne's third lockdown.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-...tine/100027186
Closed Thread