Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 22-09-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
trento
Audiophile

Default How to Break a Wheel stud in 1 Easy Step

As most of you will know I had 17x7 inch wheels fitted to my WS Fez in June...

Well... not anymore!

Took it to the good people at TREVAN FORD for it's 45k service and that's when the proverbial excrement hit the fan.

Apparently the company that fitted my wheels also fitted a 5mm hub spacer to allow the wheel to clear the brake caliper (without consulting me first.)

This led to the wheel nuts only being able to take up about three turns before coming tight.

With the extra weight being supported one of the studs on the front passenger wheel sheared clean off.

Now I won't name the tyre company yet as I am hoping that we can come to an amicable agreement, but I would just light to warn anyone fitting non Ford wheels to be careful and to ask to see the wheels put on to the car.

Also I would like to give a great big thanks to the Service Department at TREVAN FORD Lismore, not only were they able to fix the stud then and there, the service techs stayed back after their shift to help me fit my standard wheels again... As well as give me advice on how to proceed with the tyre and wheel company. They are absolute legends.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*wipes sweat from head* Those expensive Ford rims look better every minute!

Bad luck fella. Hopefully the tyre company comes to the party. But it's always great to hear about a good Ford dealer, few are far between they are. Keep us updated.
Old 22-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

That is where I nearly came to with my first set of 20's for the Territory.

Spacers are illegal and they can get and should get in big trouble for fitting without your approval.
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats so bad man!!!! I hope they come to the party and pay for the parts and labor involved in fixing your car and money back for the wheels!!!!

Did you happen to take any photo's of the problem? or was it fixed before you got there?

Would your insurance company chase the mag/tyre company in a worst case scenario, for fitting illegal spacer to your car which then busted the stud?
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
trento
Audiophile

Update: have spoken to the tyre co. They've asked to see the car next thursday but haven't said what their plan is. Have also been in contact with both the RTA and Qld department of roads and transport who have both confirmed that hub spacers are illegal. I have also spoken with the department of fair trading and according to the Trade Act of 1974 the tyre co are in breach of their responsibilities as a provider of motor repairs and services.

So hopefully they will have to either replace the wheels with wheels with a different offset, refund my money or modify the hubs (legally) to fit the wheels.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!

Last edited by trento; 24-09-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 24-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Good luck with it, I hope it works out for you.

Always sad to hear stories like this, I am just glad it was picked up on a service, not when wheel came off at 110 km/h.
Old 24-09-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
trento
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Good luck with it, I hope it works out for you.

Always sad to hear stories like this, I am just glad it was picked up on a service, not when wheel came off at 110 km/h.
mmmm me too... Don't really feel like writing off another Fiesta.

Old 24-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oXGbVqfFMc

lol!
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
AM_XR4
Starter Motor

Mate, not good at all...especially since it'd suck crashing another Fez...

Good luck with the tyre company mate. If no joy, name and shame...

Fiesta XR4 - Frozen White / Blue Stripe
AM_XR4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #10
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

no matter what the outcome is, at least you guys are safe and nothing bad happened. if the tyre company has any brains for legal obligations and customer after sales service as well as word of mouth advertising, they should now do the right thing...
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
shroomies49

Trent you're very lucky that they found it in a service and it didnt happen doing 110km/hr on the highway

This guy is lucky.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y7g5BJMrjo&feature=fvw
and has mad reflexes

To date: Phillips H1 & H7 Bluevision bulbs, K&N Panel filter,Centre console, clicon system for gps

To Do: 17" wheels and possibly lowering
shroomies49 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
trento
Audiophile

Update: Well too my wheels and car to the tyre co. on thursday and they were very good. Imean yes the did F$^% up originally but they made every effort to fix their mistake. The took the wheels to a licensed wheel engineer and had the inside face machined so that the wheels now clear the calipers by 5mm or so. They also handed me a cheque to cover the expense to replace the wheel stud. All in all I left there happy and with the product that I originally paid for. Also as a side not,was my 21st yesterday and I have now compiled all of the audio equipment for my car. Specs are... SONY GTX: 600W 4 channel amp, 250W 6 inch spilts, 250W 4 ways co-axials, 1000W 12inch subwoofer in custom sony MDF enclosure powered by a Sony XM-ZZR3301 Mono Block Amplifier. Now all I need is that carton of wild turkey so my cousin will install it for me

Old 02-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by trento
and had the inside face machined so that the wheels now clear the calipers by 5mm or so.
can you put up a diagram of exactly where they machined the wheels?

im struggling to work out how machining the wheel gained clearance when the wheel shop had to add a spacer to clear the caliper in the first place?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
trento
Audiophile

They machined the inside face of the wheel around the centre section that comes into contact with the hub, it had already been machined by the wheel manufacturer but obviously not quite enough. I'm going to take the wheels off again next weekend and have a looksie, i'll post some photos then.