Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Auuteage

Default tyres- replace one or both rears guys?

Got a tyre with a nail in it on my ute. I carry heavy loads every day and got to get it replaced as quick as possibly, no hanging round for a hour waiting...so im at the mercy of a tyre place in respect to $$, no time to shop round etc...

Anyway, can I get away with just replacing the tyre with the nail and have different treads, or should I do both? What are the pros and cons?

And lastly, approximately what would I be looking at for a 17 inch tyre of middle of the road quality? thanks :0)

Auuteage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Scott

Ideally you would have the same tread on either side - mixing front to rear is not an issue. You should be able to buy a tyre to match the other side - just ask your tyre shop to see what they have. It is not a drama to have slightly different tread depths on either side as your tyres are always spinning at different speeds anyway. A mid range 17" tyre will cost about $200-$250.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auuteage
Got a tyre with a nail in it on my ute. I carry heavy loads every day and got to get it replaced as quick as possibly, no hanging round for a hour waiting...so im at the mercy of a tyre place in respect to $$, no time to shop round etc...

Anyway, can I get away with just replacing the tyre with the nail and have different treads, or should I do both? What are the pros and cons?

And lastly, approximately what would I be looking at for a 17 inch tyre of middle of the road quality? thanks :0)
Personally, unless the other ones near new and I can get an exact replacement for the other, I always replace both.

If you have 2 different tyres on the same axle, you may get different grip and handling response which could be dangerous in the wet.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Auuteage

****! that much hey? Well, I guess my estimates were a bit off! "0)
Old 16-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Scott

^^lol, When Conti's cost $700 a corner I thought I was being generous! Cheapies are well under $200, top end are $700 and beyond. You should get a good tyre for $200-$250 easily.
Old 16-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Sapper
Back to the AU

Keep the same tread on both sides mate. Different tread makes for...well, 'interesting' driving in the wet. Its also illegal in New South Wales. Not sure about other states though.
Old 16-01-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
If you have 2 different tyres on the same axle, you may get different grip and handling response which could be dangerous in the wet.
i got a flat one day, so i put my "brand new" read- never been used in almost 6 years, spare tyre on.

the next day it was ****ing rain. now not only were the tyres different tread, they were different profile, and one was brand new, the other had about 70-80% wear.

INTERESTING- is an understatment LOL!!
Old 16-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Why don't you just patch the tyre? Any good tyre shop will do it for you.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:02 PM   #9
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Thats what I did when I got a nail in one of my rears on the ute. Only cost about $20 I think

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Auuteage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty

Is it possible to patch a tyre with a nail in it though? I would have thought that would have been fatal...
Old 16-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nowadays they use a rubber plug, only if the hole is not too big.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:38 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I just got a plug done on my 18" tyre yesterday. The tyre shop reckons it's fine at all speeds etc. I would do that rather than get a new tyre.

As for hot_xr6s claim that different treads on the same axle are illegal - what a load of BS. Different tyre construction (cross ply & radial) on the same axle is illegal (and unsafe), but you can have whatever tread pattern you like, and as much or as little tread on each side as you wish, so long as the lowest tread depth is still at or above minimum (approx 3mm).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2007, 11:47 PM   #13
Auuteage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I just got a plug done on my 18" tyre yesterday. The tyre shop reckons it's fine at all speeds etc. I would do that rather than get a new tyre.

As for hot_xr6s claim that different treads on the same axle are illegal - what a load of BS. Different tyre construction (cross ply & radial) on the same axle is illegal (and unsafe), but you can have whatever tread pattern you like, and as much or as little tread on each side as you wish, so long as the lowest tread depth is still at or above minimum (approx 3mm).

how long did it take? Thats the big thing for my situation...ta
Old 16-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
how long did it take? Thats the big thing for my situation...ta
I left it with them for the day, and just ran around on the spare. But he did ask if i wanted to wait - would take about 20 minutes. You could always drop it off at the start of the day, and pick it up at the end.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 17-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
GK
Walking with God

JC is right, plug patches are no worries at all.

I've had plug patches installed in my VFR800 before and that machine travels much faster than my AU's ever will LOL! I think I've had them in my previous cars too, yes I recall both my lasers. No probs there either.

Go the plug patch, $20-30 and you know the tread will be the same both sides. LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:12 AM   #16
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

I can speak from experince on this on I've literally done thousands of plugs
so long is it not on the shoulder of the tyre, no probs. The inside of the tyre is buffed up rough and glue applied, the stem of the plug helps seal the steel belts of the casing from the weather, the patch on the end of the stem seals the inside of the tyre, the plug wears down with your existing tread and the inside of the tyre where the patch is, is sealed over with a thick black sealant too.

Also on the price side of things, you should be able to get decent enough tyres in the 235/45r17 size for around the 160 mark as the cheapies start off at 120 is now days.

and so long as the profie (size) of the tyre is the same on both sides (front or rear) and not outside the guard of the wheel arch and within the load and speed rating of the tyre placard of the vehicle, then the tread patterns can be different front to back and side to side. But most tyre shops would reccommend front matching treads.
Cheers.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab

Last edited by Bundy; 17-01-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

dunno about that jc, if a copper pulled me over for a road worthy check i think id like tread patterns to be the same.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #18
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that it was illegal as well (I worked at a workshop for a while years back, and they told me for RWC that it was unroadworthy if there were different tread patterns on the same axle).
Old 17-01-2007, 12:16 AM   #19
Auuteage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybloke
I can speak from experince on this on I've literally done thousands of plugs
so long is it not on the shoulder of the tyre, no probs. The inside of the tyre is buffed up rough and glue applied, the stem of the plug helps seal the steel belts of the casing from the weather, the patch on the end of the stem seals the inside of the tyre, the plug wears down with your existing tread and the inside of the tyre where the patch is, is sealed over with a thick black sealant too.
Cheers.

having done that many, how long does it take, generally? The nail is right in the middle, so it sounds like im in luck :0)
Old 17-01-2007, 12:17 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
dunno about that jc, if a copper pulled me over for a road worthy check i think id like tread patterns to be the same.
That's your choice, but just because that's what you choose, doesn't make the other option illegal. I could find the ADRs on tyres, or you can just look for yourself. Different tread patterns on the same axle is not illegal. Different tyre contruction is.

And of course, I am talking same size, ratio etc (ie 235/45/17) - but even cops will let you get away with having one different tyre if it's obvious that it's the spare, and the normal tyre is in the boot punctured, or not in the car as it is being fixed.

Old 17-01-2007, 12:18 AM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that it was illegal as well (I worked at a workshop for a while years back, and they told me for RWC that it was unroadworthy if there were different tread patterns on the same axle).
Then your first 4 words are true - no may about it.

Ok, here's an excerpt from the NSW RTA site:

Additional requirements for replacement wheels
When wheels and tyres outside the manufacturers recommended range are fitted to a vehicle the following
requirements must be met:
• The wheel rim width must not be less than the minimum width fitted by the vehicle manufacturer for the
particular model.
• The wheel and tyre must be contained within the body work or mudguards (including any flares) when the
wheels are in the straight ahead position.
• The wheel and tyre must not foul any part of the body or suspension under all operating conditions.
• All wheels and tyres fitted to an axle must be of the same carcass construction, diameter, offset, width and
mounting configuration (except for spare wheels used in an emergency situation).

• The wheel must not prevent the wheel nuts from fully engaging their studs.
• The wheel rim must not have a circumferential weld other than that which attaches the rim to the wheel
centre.
• The wheel must be one designed for the particular hub/axle in respect to bolt pitch circle diameter and
wheel nut tapers. Wheels with slotted stud holes are not permitted.
• Speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected tyre and rim combination.
• The fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face
and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer.

Tyres
The tyre and rim industry sets standards for the correct combinations of wheels and tyres. If you are in doubt as to
which tyres are acceptable alternatives for your car, ask your tyre dealer to check for you. The tyres you fit must
correctly match your car’s wheels.
If the wheels are listed on your car’s tyre placard or in the owners handbook then the tyres you fit must be those
listed on the placard or in the handbook for these wheels.
Don’t mix tyre types or sizes if you can possibly avoid this. Never mix radials with cross-ply tyres on one axle. If you
have only two radials, they must be on the rear wheels. Always make sure that both front tyres and both back tyres
are the same.

Tyre load rating
Any replacement tyre must have a load rating equal to or better than the rating of the original tyres fitted by the
vehicle manufacturer. This information is available from the tyre placard or the vehicle manufacturer.

Last edited by JC; 17-01-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 17-01-2007, 12:25 AM   #22
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8BLOKE
Nowadays they use a rubber plug, only if the hole is not too big.
they still can put tubes in them to , so if you dont want to patch it (pending where the nail is)

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #23
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
having done that many, how long does it take, generally? The nail is right in the middle, so it sounds like im in luck :0)
Generally if you can get in straight away up on a jack. it should only take about 15-20 mins. including rebalancing the tyre.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:28 AM   #24
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
Keep the same tread on both sides mate. Different tread makes for...well, 'interesting' driving in the wet. Its also illegal in New South Wales. Not sure about other states though.
Just trying to work out what you are saying...

Are you saying "keep the same tread on both sides" meaning that all four tyres have to be the same tread pattern? Or were you saying that if you are mixing patterns that you should keep the RHS F&R as one pattern and the LHS F&R the other pattern?
Old 17-01-2007, 12:40 AM   #25
1600GT

:
sorry guys..

but yep, id just plug it.

Last edited by 1600GT; 17-01-2007 at 12:45 AM. Reason: already covered by others.
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #26
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Then your first 4 words are true - no may about it.

Ok, here's an excerpt from the NSW RTA site:

Additional requirements for replacement wheels
When wheels and tyres outside the manufacturers recommended range are fitted to a vehicle the following
requirements must be met:
• The wheel rim width must not be less than the minimum width fitted by the vehicle manufacturer for the
particular model.
• The wheel and tyre must be contained within the body work or mudguards (including any flares) when the
wheels are in the straight ahead position.
• The wheel and tyre must not foul any part of the body or suspension under all operating conditions.
• All wheels and tyres fitted to an axle must be of the same carcass construction, diameter, offset, width and
mounting configuration (except for spare wheels used in an emergency situation).

• The wheel must not prevent the wheel nuts from fully engaging their studs.
• The wheel rim must not have a circumferential weld other than that which attaches the rim to the wheel
centre.
• The wheel must be one designed for the particular hub/axle in respect to bolt pitch circle diameter and
wheel nut tapers. Wheels with slotted stud holes are not permitted.
• Speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected tyre and rim combination.
• The fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face
and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer.

Tyres
The tyre and rim industry sets standards for the correct combinations of wheels and tyres. If you are in doubt as to
which tyres are acceptable alternatives for your car, ask your tyre dealer to check for you. The tyres you fit must
correctly match your car’s wheels.
If the wheels are listed on your car’s tyre placard or in the owners handbook then the tyres you fit must be those
listed on the placard or in the handbook for these wheels.
Don’t mix tyre types or sizes if you can possibly avoid this. Never mix radials with cross-ply tyres on one axle. If you
have only two radials, they must be on the rear wheels. Always make sure that both front tyres and both back tyres
are the same.

Tyre load rating
Any replacement tyre must have a load rating equal to or better than the rating of the original tyres fitted by the
vehicle manufacturer. This information is available from the tyre placard or the vehicle manufacturer.
Oh well, looks like the place I worked at knocked back plenty of perfectly roadworthy cars!!!
Old 17-01-2007, 12:52 AM   #27
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Oh well, looks like the place I worked at knocked back plenty of perfectly roadworthy cars!!!
I assume they sold tyres as well? Wouldn't you do the same if you thought you could make a buck by insisting that people had the same brand/tread etc? I would if I could get away with it. This is why it pays to know some of the basic rules/regulations.

Old 17-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #28
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I assume they sold tyres as well? Wouldn't you do the same if you thought you could make a buck by insisting that people had the same brand/tread etc? I would if I could get away with it. This is why it pays to know some of the basic rules/regulations.
Of course! How did you know!!!
Old 17-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
It's always about the money, ah ahem, safety of the vehicle! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #30
crossingover

Either replace both or stick to finding same tyre.
IT will be ok with two different tyres on rear but just to give you an example it will be like having two different shoes on your feet just not right and it wont feel right.