Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default what will it be? BA XR6,XR6T,XR8

OK guys and galls,
Ive got the go ahead from the misses to replace her outback 3.0R for either Ba 1 or 11 depending on price XR6 ,xr6T,or xr8 preferably Manual and must have LSD,we want leather and sunroof in what ever we decide on,now its the wifes car to drive around,shops,kids activities etc ..... but its mine to play with on my days off so ,I d like to know performance of all 3 cars,driveablity,insurance (roughly),and fuel economy compares.

If any one could help it would be much appreciated,as I havent driven any of these cars yet,as I only got the green light yesterday.

V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This will start a war......

XR6
manual rare and 5 speed only (most are ex telstra or whatever salsac).
leather rare
LSD rare as it was an option

XR6T
manual, 5 speed in mk1, 6 speed in mk2 less common than autos.
leather, some but not a lot
LSD, standard

XR8 basicly same as XR6T as far as options.

Sunroofs are VERY rare so grab what you can.

Performance. "Does my bum look big in this?"

Use the search feature. There are at least 40 bazillion threads that will tell you all turbos are faster than all V8 which are faster than all turbos which are cheaper to mod than all V8s that are cheaper to mod that all turbos that use less petrol than all V8s which use less petrol than all turbos......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
all turbos are faster than all V8 which are faster than all turbos which are cheaper to mod than all V8s that are cheaper to mod that all turbos that use less petrol than all V8s which use less petrol than all turbos......
Is that meant to make sense ? :
Old 16-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
nitroman
nitroman

V8's are great mate. They have about the same outright performance as a turbo standard but with a more linear power curve and make that sweet sweet sound.
The turbo is still a very good thing and extra power comes easy, but the hot ones I have driven are very peaky (all or nothing)
Non turbo Xr6's go okay but basically the same as a standard falcon with a bodykit and alloy wheels.
It feels good arriving at a V8 supercar meet in your own V8 supercar!
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

It will come down to, do you prefer a V8 growl or a turbo whistle.... The performance figures only matter if you are driving flat out all the time. And since you wife will be the main driver the V8 would probably be a little more manageable. Either way, they are both lovely machines and you will love which ever one you choose.
Old 16-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
Rob
Living the dream

Seat of the pants, an XR6T feels like it goes harder than a GT (I spent a weekend test driving stuff), but give me the 8 any day. Theres nothing like a V8. BF XR8 6sp auto.. yes please.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #7
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As said prior if its manual your after not alot of BA XR6's to choose from (only choice is 5speed) then if you want lsd (option) leather (option) sunroof (option) you be lucky to find one.

A XR6T & XR8 if Mk II (6speed) LSD (std) there would be a few more manuals around than above - leather & sunroof once again lucky to find one.

You asked about performane.
1. XR6T
2. XR8
3. XR6

Insurance
XR6 would be cheapest

Fuel economy (but around town short trips heavy traffic there is alot better cars than these three if that's a MAJOR factor for you)
1) XR6
2) XR6T
3) XR8

driveability the all offer a very nice drive IMO. If pushed very hard into corners etc the XR8 would be a little heavier in the front end for obvious reasons. So haveing driven all three I like the balance of the T a little better. But as I stress if pushed HARD.

You havent mentioned your BUDGET.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAU1
Is that meant to make sense ? :
It makes more sense than most of the 6T vs V8 arguements.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #9
majin_andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It makes more sense than most of the 6T vs V8 arguements.
lol, this is true.
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks guys

The wife will be mostly driving this so as for performance its not the be all end all,thats why we have narrowed it down to the 3,as much a straight line speed and torque is great, if the xr6 n/a wasnt way behind and handled as good with good fuel ecconomy its a option as we can maybe go for a latter model in the N/A 6 than the other 2 ,having said that its not a daily commuter to work so the others are more of a desire for me personally as Ive never own a V8 before,or a 6 turbo for that matter.
Will be getting some insurance quotes and obviously driving them all,but I think I will be buying from an auction.
There was a ba Xr8 manual in the Trading post this week for $23k with 75000ks on it which sound good to me.and xr6t also were around the same money.
The reason I like to get fords with all the options is when time comes around to sell the more gear they have in them the more desirable they are to the next guy comming along to buy, even if they pull the same money ,they are I bit easier to off load.

Any fuel ecconomy figures would be good to see as well.
Im guessing combined 10-14 l/100ks xr6 NA,12-16 xr6T ,12-16 xr8 as well,am I close..............
The wifes 3.0r outback doesnt mind a drink either.

thanks for the comments,

oh yeh mid twenties as a guide is the price range,give or take a few.
Old 17-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Are you nuts??? Keep the 3.0r.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ooooooooh I can see it now.

XR6 Turbo, Mercury Silver, leather, sunroof, etc, etc.......

*GK pauses to wipe drool from mouth!*

So you know what I'd choose then. _2:

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
thanks guys

The wife will be mostly driving this so as for performance its not the be all end all,thats why we have narrowed it down to the 3,as much a straight line speed and torque is great, if the xr6 n/a wasnt way behind and handled as good with good fuel ecconomy its a option as we can maybe go for a latter model in the N/A 6 than the other 2 ,having said that its not a daily commuter to work so the others are more of a desire for me personally as Ive never own a V8 before,or a 6 turbo for that matter.
Will be getting some insurance quotes and obviously driving them all,but I think I will be buying from an auction.
There was a ba Xr8 manual in the Trading post this week for $23k with 75000ks on it which sound good to me.and xr6t also were around the same money.
The reason I like to get fords with all the options is when time comes around to sell the more gear they have in them the more desirable they are to the next guy comming along to buy, even if they pull the same money ,they are I bit easier to off load.

Any fuel ecconomy figures would be good to see as well.
Im guessing combined 10-14 l/100ks xr6 NA,12-16 xr6T ,12-16 xr8 as well,am I close..............
The wifes 3.0r outback doesnt mind a drink either.

thanks for the comments,

oh yeh mid twenties as a guide is the price range,give or take a few.

Fuel figures. I have a BF XR8 manual.... I can criuse at 140 and the computer tells me I am using 11.1(per 100) to 11.5(per 100) on flat roads. At 80 in fifth gear it uses about 9.0 to 9.5 on the flat. Kick it in the guts and it will jump to 40 litres per 100.

Hope this helps....
Old 17-11-2006, 10:36 PM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

What about a Territory?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #15
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
What about a Territory?
as much as I would luuuuuuuuuvvvve a turbo terrior or any type for that matter,gota stick within the mid $20s other wise my house wont get finished,as thats part of the reason the outback is going and getting somthing a bit cheaper.
Old 18-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #16
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Have a look at some of the 2nd hand 2004 model TX's AWD, down around that price at the moment, Imagine all the building material you could fit in the back, up top and on the trailor behind it.....
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Have a look at some of the 2nd hand 2004 model TX's AWD, down around that price at the moment, Imagine all the building material you could fit in the back, up top and on the trailor behind it.....
I'd have a Turbo Territory for the family and an XR6T for myself thanks. Both in Mercury Silver or Envy.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh that'd be really nice!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 18-11-2006, 11:23 AM   #18
AUsome
/////Alpine

My brother was the same when it came to wanting speficis on his car. Wanted black Xr8, wanted manual and leather. Took over 6 months to find one with all that plus premo sound and sunroof... but he wasnt searching TOO hard. But anyone whos looked for specifics know it takes time to find the 'right' one. That was a BA picked up couple months ago.

I've driven a XR6 NA and XR8 and have to say after driving the XR8 I was hooked! You have to drive a car to get the real feel for it.
AUsome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #19
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was looking to buy my present car I also look at 6t's. But once I test drove the XR8 yhe choice was made pretty quickly.Both are great cars so the choice is up to you as to what your personal preference is.Surprisingly the insurance on the 6t was actually dearer than the XR8.Good luck in your hunt for the new car.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep,got a few quotes for insurance the xr6t is $100 cheaoer than the xr8. i saw a 2005 bf xr8 6spd auto white, no options,on parramatta road yesterday for $25,999. 96,000ks very high for a year old car, but I would buy this,so long as its been serviced and kept in good order I dont have a problem with high klm cars,besides its a cheaper way to get a newer model.
Old 19-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #21
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Mate..may I suggest carsales.com.au? I was looking just a few days ago and the xr6t's are going for a song.If you haggle hard enough you may pick one up for 20k. I saw them in the private section. The xr6t has more to offer in performance upgradability.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #22
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Mate..may I suggest carsales.com.au? I was looking just a few days ago and the xr6t's are going for a song.If you haggle hard enough you may pick one up for 20k. I saw them in the private section. The xr6t has more to offer in performance upgradability.
Especially for a tinkerer such as yourself! :voldar02:

I love them both, the beautiful melody of the 8 the whoosh and whistle of a large I6 with turbo.

Couldn't go wrong with either choice, he'll which ever one he gets. :

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 19-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #23
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My advice is dont get the XR6 N/A if you like to drive the car hard. I had one for 6 months before i got bored of it and upgraded to a Turbo. Having said that im bored with the turbo's power now but thats easily fixed with a $1500 custom tune. With the N/A you would need to spend double that and you still wouldnt be at the power of the stock Turbo.

The N/A is a great package and is HEAPS better on fuel than the turbo.I know what one i would be getting....

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #24
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Are you nuts??? Keep the 3.0r.
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #25
geohatrick

http://www2.carsales.com.au/used-car...=&engine_high=

there are 22 xr6/T with sunroof and leather on car sales
interestingly enough there are no xr8's
Old 19-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #26
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh been to all the sites guys thanks,I think the auctions will be cheaper again.But still got to drive them all.This comming week ive got 3 days to have a look.
As for keeping the subaru its more to do with where we would prefer our cash,as the house and getting it finished is more of a priorety than the wife keeping the more expensive Subaru.
The XR's are way bigger inside for little ones too by the way.
Old 19-11-2006, 05:38 PM   #27
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeh their nice but my AU wagon is bigger,for all that gear.