Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Victoria's youngest hoon

Police seize five-year-old girl's mini motorbike

Amelia Harris

August 13, 2009 04:34pm

A FIVE-year-old girl may have become Victoria's youngest hoon after her mini motorbike was seized at the weekend.
Police impounded Laney Frankland’s 49CC bike on Saturday afternoon when she was riding it at a Carrum Downs park.

The family must pay $550 within seven days to get the bike back, but even if they cough up it will not be returned for six months.

If the family does not pay, the bike, which they paid $400 for, will not be returned.

They say they have not yet decided what to do.

Laney’s mother, Tracey Frankland, said her daughter was hysterical when police took the bike.

"She was crying when the police were there,’’ Mrs Frankland said.

"They didn’t give any sympathy. I think they’ve just gone overboard."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...68-661,00.html

and

radio interview

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-gene...0813-ej2v.html

Opinions?

Old 15-08-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

so her olds took her to a public park to ride a motorbike ?
or she rode it from home to said park ?
Old 15-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think her parents took her there to ride her little motorbike there. The radio program has a bit more information.
Old 15-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
marcusregan
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
so her olds took her to a public park to ride a motorbike ?
or she rode it from home to said park ?
You'd really have to question a parent who lets his 5yo ride a motor bike on the road, tho this isnt the case here. granted there are better places than a public park to take the kids for a ride but how pathetic is it to confiscate a childrens toy? Ask them to stop and find a more suitable place, problem solved.
Old 15-08-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The full article in the paper stated the police use discression in these matters, one would think the parents attitude when confronted may have influenced the outcome.
Old 15-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #6
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The full article in the paper stated the police use discression in these matters, one would think the parents attitude when confronted may have influenced the outcome.
agreed - what would have happened if she ran over some other little kid playin in the park? A bit rough I know, but, thats the rules.

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
Old 15-08-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

edit... dont want to get involved
Old 15-08-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The evil little wench!............... Shoot her! :evil3:

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 15-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

HOOOONN!!!
I watched this on ACA ( I know, dont shoot me down). They had the mayor there calling the father irresponsible etc.
Its dumbfounding, I know I learnt to ride my Ex-Racing KX60 when I was 6 in a public park, and noone said anything.
Thats just ridiculous.
Old 15-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #10
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Hell that'd peeve me of no end having to put up with motor bikes running up and down a park in suburbia, too right the parents are irresponible, damn inconciderate of their fellow neighbours too!!

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Old 15-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #11
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Seems like there's more to the story than is being reported.

I also think it's a bit harsh to put a stipulation of when you must pay or completely forfeit the bike.

If the child was being supervised, not posing any danger to other children and not creating undue noise then I personally don't see a problem.
Old 15-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

We have motorbikes riding near us all the time. Its people that whinge and complain about kids having some fun that turn them into kids doing crime and drugs when they arent allowed to ride or have any fun that isnt hurting anyone. PC crew strike again.
Old 15-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #13
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

I have to concede that regardless of how innocent their motives may seem in the media, I think it is pretty inconsiderate in respect to the noise.

I think if the parent's were genuine they would have found a more suitable location for her to ride to her heart's content and not annoy anyone else in the process.

It is not the girls fault as at that age she can only rely on advice from her parents, therefore she suffers due to their indifference and ignorance.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 15-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #14
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

She should of course be hung, drawn and quartered. Her evil hoon ways cannot be able to influence any other little kiddies. What is this world coming to.
Old 15-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #15
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Poor parenting OR bad policing.....Poor kid either way
Old 15-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Yeah poor kid. Parents buy her a slow little motorbike and take her for a putt around the park. Gee, family services should take her in to care... :
Old 15-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh come on..its a little 49cc pocket rocket..it's not like it a bloody 250 trailbike
Old 15-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #18
Springfield_Johny

its a 49cc trailbike today, next year its a 125, the year after that its a 250 with all of her mates. The cops have sent a loud and clear message that its a park, not a motocross circuit. A 6 year old would have very little concept of danger when it came to riding a motorcycle, and whilst the kids parents may have had innocent intentions, imagine if 20 parents had the same innocent intentions? What would happen if another young child received life changing injuries because they were hit by one of these kids on a motorbike.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Old 15-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #19
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Would this story have had a different ending if it had been a little boy about 10? The law is the law.

The parents should have had MORE sense and if anyone is guilty for upsetting the child it is THEM. They should have thought about it first and taken the kid elsewhere. To stop and think about where to let her ride the bike would have taken maybe 30 mins extra and there would have been NO issue. Maybe the people who live around the park have had this happen so many times with kids riding these bikes that they got sick of it?
Old 15-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so Frankston residents, who are obviously sick of hoons making noise and burnouts at all times of day and night, people who have owned homes in the area for several years and seeing their house prices depreciate because of all the mongrels out there... they should all just put up with yet one more person (regardless of age) who is putting others in danger and possibly creating more noise in a public park that was most probably only intended for pedestrians and bi/tri/cycles for kids????

to all those sticking up for this family, put yourselves in the homeowners shoes in the area. there is a time and a place for everything in life. if you inculcate values to children at such young age that "you can ride your combustion engine vehicle wherever you want" despite it being a suburban area, then you will be faced with cops knocking on your door for the rest of your life.

from some of the responses to this thread, it seems some people prefer that rather than be a responsible and civil part of their neighborhood. good luck to them.
Old 15-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #21
The Monty
Just slidin'

And its people like all you whingers that ruin it for everybody.
Is there a motorbike park near the area? If so, fair enough, maybe instruct the parents that next time use the park, or risk loosing the bike.
If there isnt, maybe they should zone a designated place for her to ride.
You all need to realise, you were all young once as well. How many of you that are all whingeing have actually been affected by a 5 year old on a bike, or WERE a 5 year old on a bike. Im guessing ......0.....

Oh no, a young person having fun, eeeeekkkkk, call the copss, hooonnnnssss...
Old 15-08-2009, 10:19 AM   #22
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or watch yet another couple of deadbeats teach their daughter to ride a motorbike in a public park... great.

sorry Monty, i'll have to agree to disagree with you on that one.

and please feel free to stay at our place any weekend once we build a couple more rooms downstairs. i'm sure it will give you some 'perspective' on the matter.

all the best....

dan
Old 15-08-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
rayjaymor

I have to confess that I am annoyed at her parents.

You cannot drive a petrol engined vehicle in a park, ever. The arrogance that they assume a 49cc would be exempt only serves them right. (Especially as every park I grew up near had signs specifically saying no dogs, no motorbikes, etc)

I feel sorry for the kid, but the parents are clearly morons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
The best way not to damage the ute or embarass ford owners is to replace the ute with a VL commo with 15" steelies on the back and slushbox :sm_headba
Old 15-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #24
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The parents should not have taken her to a park but i do understand the other side too there is so many rules out there that kids can't be kids anymore they need to provide more facility's i mean you can't even build a tree house anymore with upsetting someone i would hate to be a kid now days when i was a kid we had a scramble track where we could ride and it was free didn't have to pay and you could come and go as you please these days you have to be in a club pay money and its only open once or twice a month
Old 15-08-2009, 10:49 AM   #25
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The police were going to show discretion and let them off but the father gave them an earful and hey presto he's got a fine. The Mayor arrives with an olive branch and he does it again.To add to all this there is a specific motorbike park not very far from where they live( and the police told them this too) i ask you who is the idiot here? and he has the temerity to get on TV and radio crying poor victimised me to drum up sympathy. They deserve all they get and having said that so do all illegal bikes in parks.My Thoughts
Cheers
GT450
Old 15-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #26
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unco
or watch yet another couple of deadbeats teach their daughter to ride a motorbike in a public park... great.

sorry Monty, i'll have to agree to disagree with you on that one.

and please feel free to stay at our place any weekend once we build a couple more rooms downstairs. i'm sure it will give you some 'perspective' on the matter.

all the best....

dan
We have a couple of "older" (teenagers) kids ride there 125's across the road in a car park. Its annoying as hell, and I have two kids.
All I do is go away for a while, turn up some music, work on the house, etc etc. Im not saying its right, but you dont have to make it a problem. If it was so bad, I would go an ask them to stop. I wouldnt call the cops.
When I was in my teenage years, I was in a band. We played loud, won lots of things, were on the news, radio, newspapers, travelled interstate, etc.
Everytime (and I mean everytime) we tried to practice, the neighbour two doors down would ring the Police. They would come from 30 minutes away, shut us down, and give us a warning. We were even served with a 28 day order of no noise.
We practiced on Sundays, in the middle of the day, as to try to not offend annyone. If we were asked by our neighbour to quieten down, we would have, no problem.
Anyway, I moved away from there, and the oldest of his kids has grown up and guess what? He's a musician playing in a rather succesful band.
My point here, and Im not having a go at you or trying to tell you youre wrong, is that just because something is a bit annoying, (even though slightly illegal as was in both these cases), doesnt mean you have to call the cops and get everything shut down.
She was probably having fun, I dont think that in either of these matters, Police would need to be called to stop the "kids" having fun.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #27
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Monty, i am a very patient person too. i don't really care for half the noise that goes on around here, but most people do.

i too was in a band when i was younger, although not as successful as some.

we tried to practice at my place (or my parents' rather) and we got cops at our doorstep within 1 hour of practice.

we then practiced at our drummer's place and the worst serving we ever got was the next door neighbor ask us to keep it down for the day as he was working night shift that night.... what do you know? he rocked up with a case of grog next weekend and had a drink with us... as a thank you note.

but these days, more and more people work weird shift hours. and it's only because people ask for it. otherwise, we would still see shops only open mon-fri and shut for weekends like 10-20 years ago.

people want lifestyle rosters. and i'm all for it. i work 9.30pm to 7am almost every night. i am a heavy sleeper. i'm happy to get up after 2 hours sleep and answer the door for JW's and somehow manage to be nice to them.

but i'm one of the lucky few.

a lot of people out there can't function without their full sleep, or with the constant screaming of burnouts and 2 stroke engines in suburban areas. these are the folk i am more than happy to stick up for. and this is probably where we don't see eye to eye: i just can't justify antisocial behavior such as burnouts and WOT runs up suburban 50km/h streets. and this is why a lot of forum members are happy for the cops to keep the kid's bike for 6 months to teach the parents a lesson.

don't want your kid to put up with suburban issues? move to the country and your own acreage mesays.

can't afford to? then please put up with the rest of society and their rules. it's not that hard.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #28
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
Poor parenting OR bad policing.....Poor kid either way
Poor parenting AND bad policing IMO!!!
If the father did give the cops a mouthful then a polite warning to him just to let him know that if it continues they will then impound the bike may have shut him up and the little girl may still have her bike. Too many police these days are a bit precious about having their feelings hurt unfortunately.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #29
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are places for riding a motorbike and a public park in the suburbs is not one of them. If the farther is looking for answers he should start with himself.
Old 15-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #30
BAcruzn
Starter Motor

A family friend of our's know's this bloke quite well and is known to be a huge smart *** and always has something to say. There is a bike park about a 10minute drive from where they live and it's quite cheap to ride there as well, and there is alot of farm land in the area and the land owners don't mind you riding there if you go and ask them. Rules are rules, and the only one who is the victim here is the little girl because her father is a moron!
Closed Thread