Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NSW Anzac Day - wheres the public holiday???

So what happened to NSW's Anzac day public holiday? WA and ACT gets teh 27th off, Why dont we?? not sure on the other states but why change it?

Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Nickxb
XB in progress

QLD dont get it
Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Neither does SA.
Old 22-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
KITBAG

Vic, don't get it
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 XF - AU11
Vic, don't get it
Thats meant to be getting changed. But not this yr.
Old 22-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
KITBAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Thats meant to be getting changed. But not this yr.
SO TRUE JUST FOUND THIS
From the Premier of Victoria
SUBSTITUTE PUBLIC HOLIDAY FOR VICTORIANS IN 2010 AND 2011.

http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/newsro...-and-2011.html
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

QLD gets it. Its on Saturday. Which for those of us working a saturday roster so that our bosses save money on workers, actually still get paid, lol.
Old 22-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tassie don't get it.

For what ever reason this year they don't seem to have it down as a Gazzetted holiday.

But from some of the press I've seen, it will probably go back to a holiday if it falls on a Sunday only. ie, if it's a Saturday no Monday off, but if it falls on Sunday you will have Monday as a public holiday.
Old 22-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
Wally
XP Coupe

Yes QLD don't get the long weekend, because our leader deemed the extra day worked would result in wiping out the national debt through increased productivity. I'm an employer and even I think employees nationally should get a day off to recharge the batteries. I bet a lot of those fallen diggers would be happy knowing they are bringing some extra joy via a day off to the Ozzie nation they fought for.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Christ, its a day of commemoration to remember the massive sacrifices made by previous generations. Whether its a holiday or not has nothing to do with it. These guys died fighting for our country FFS and yet people whinge and wonder why it is or isn't a fricken holiday. Geez we're soft.

Rant over.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Nappa
Impressive...

this is fantastic for people who work for dealerships, particually in sales, this is the only weekend off we have all year. actuall this is the only weekend off i've had in the last 4yrs. Because we work every saturday and take an rdo in the middle of the week, public holidays are no different to any normal week as the holiday is taken in lieu of an rdo. I cant wait to acutally sleep in on a saturday.
Old 22-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #12
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I've been hearing about this all year.

ANZAC Day is NOT about YOU having a day off. In fact it's not about YOU at all.

It's about the members of the Defence Force who have served or are serving their country. It's a day for YOU to say thanks to those who choose to do the job that you won't or can't do. It's a day to say thanks for the sacrifices those who serve have had to make (and there are alot). Its a day for you to reflect on those who have given their lives so you can enjoy the freedom that you all have today.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
So what happened to NSW's Anzac day public holiday? WA and ACT gets teh 27th off, Why dont we?? not sure on the other states but why change it?
It was decided a few years ago that public holidays will only be taken the days they fall on, so i guess it's a bit of bad luck, for me i have to work so double time and a half "woot" :
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Wally
XP Coupe

That's odd Pertuan. I thought Anzac Day was a commerative one, to mark the first major action (Gallipoli) by NZ and OZ troops in WWI. In 1927 all states gazetted a public holiday.

The dawn service replicates the first landing at Gallipoli.

It's about Gallipoli, not about serving solders or the defence forces in general, it's about the first Anzacs, although it is a strong symbolic gesture for those troops who have fallen while serving under the Australian and New Zealand flags.

The first Anzac day was in 1916 and the diggers played sports or marched.

If the country saw fit to gazette a national public holiday in 1927, why are we allowing the RSL and the Govt to take it away? Attendance numbers having growing with the long weekend in place, I bet they fall now.
Old 22-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
Hally

I'm with Brent on this one.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
QLD gets it. Its on Saturday. Which for those of us working a saturday roster so that our bosses save money on workers, actually still get paid, lol.
so we get double time and a half?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
That's odd Pertuan. I thought Anzac Day was a commerative one, to mark the first major action (Gallipoli) by NZ and OZ troops in WWI. In 1927 all states gazetted a public holiday.

The dawn service replicates the first landing at Gallipoli.

It's about Gallipoli, not about serving solders or the defence forces in general, it's about the first Anzacs, although it is a strong symbolic gesture for those troops who have fallen while serving under the Australian and New Zealand flags.

The first Anzac day was in 1916 and the diggers played sports or marched.

If the country saw fit to gazette a national public holiday in 1927, why are we allowing the RSL and the Govt to take it away? Attendance numbers having growing with the long weekend in place, I bet they fall now.
Well ok you got me there. Your explanation is the original reason why we have ANZAC day on the 25th April. But what I was trying to say is that ANZAC day is not a day for people to just have a day off to bludge. Its a day to respect past and present serving members. I think you all know what I'm getting at.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #18
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
so we get double time and a half?

What happens at our place of work, we get paid for 7.6 hours regardless of if we work.
And if we work, we get the 7.6 hours, then our normal Saturday rate of 3 hours of time and a half, and 4.6 hours of double time. So If you work, you effectively recieve double time and a half for 3 hours then triple time for the next 4.6.
Old 22-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #19
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
originally posted by wally
That's odd Pertuan. I thought Anzac Day was a commerative one, to mark the first major action (Gallipoli) by NZ and OZ troops in WWI. In 1927 all states gazetted a public holiday. The dawn service replicates the first landing at Gallipoli. It's about Gallipoli, not about serving solders or the defence forces in general, it's about the first Anzacs, although it is a strong symbolic gesture for those troops who have fallen while serving under the Australian and New Zealand flags. The first Anzac day was in 1916 and the diggers played sports or marched. If the country saw fit to gazette a national public holiday in 1927, why are we allowing the RSL and the Govt to take it away? Attendance numbers having growing with the long weekend in place, I bet they fall now.
Wally, as a current serving member of the Australian Army and one who has previously deployed and will soon deploy again, your comments regarding ANZAC day strike a nerve in me. First some points from your post:

"..to mark the first major action (Gallipoli) by NZ and OZ troops in WWI." Yes this is true, ANZAC day does commemorate the Gallipoli landings.

"The dawn service replicates the first landing at Gallipoli", This is wrong. The dawn service is there to symbolise "Stand-to", which occurs every time you wake up when in the field in order to be ready for the enemy. In the early years of ANZAC day, only diggers were allowed to attend the dawn service.

"It's about Gallipoli, not about serving solders or the defence forces in general." Sorry mate, wrong. Yes ANZAC day did stem from Gallipoli however in the years since, ANZAC day has come to commemorate not only the fallen but also the retired and *current serving* members.

"..symbolic gesture for those troops who have fallen.." Wrong again. What about those troops who came home from battle? What about the troops who didn't see combat but we vital in the war effort?

What you must understand is that ANZAC day has come to embody all those of the Australian and New Zealand Defence Forces. It is easy to see how you may think that ANZAC day is 'just about Galipoli'. The Galipoli campaign and subsequently the ANZACs' was the first time our young nation had really forged a unique identity. But we can never forget all those who have served in other theaters since and all those who have supported such operations. If ANZAC was 'just about Gallipoli', it would seem fitting that we also have 'AIF Day', 'RAR Day', 'TLBG Day', 'RTF Day', 'MRTF Day', 'SOTG Day' etc. These acronyms are all modern equivalents of ANZAC. Current serving members are the custodians of the traditions forged by the ANZACS. I hope you can now see why ANZAC Day *is also* about current serving members.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #20
GUTLES
Adam.

I rang up VACC today about this in Victoria, because we're less then 14 employees we can open but would have to pay double time & a half. If you've got 15 or more employees you cannot open until 1pm.

We won't be opening..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #21
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Woo Hoo in the ACT we get Monday off as a holiday.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 10:46 PM   #22
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i took the two days off to cook breakie for the march ,have done for years in apex /footy whatever, its their day not ours .
Old 22-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
MondeoManiac
Starter Motor

SA has it on the Saturday.
Old 22-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #24
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As Anzac Day commemorations are always on the 25th, the public holiday should (and is) held on the 25th. This is to allow most businesses to close, and those who want to to attend services. The public holiday is still there serving its purpose. Its just that Mon-Fri workers don't get any additional 'benefit' because they are already off. Weekend workers do though.

Moving the holiday to Monday would have meant business as usual on the Saturday, potentially restricting weekend workers from commemorating simply to allow weekday workers a day off - when there is nothing happening by way of services.
Old 22-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #25
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Being in W.A I get a holiday. However I do not understand why. We do not remember or salute if you will the anzacs on monday. I won't complain too much though.

This year I am going to try and get to my first dawn service in 4 years. I live in Albany so it has lot's of significance to anzac day.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #26
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

We just had easter, get over it....

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #27
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
What happens at our place of work, we get paid for 7.6 hours regardless of if we work.
And if we work, we get the 7.6 hours, then our normal Saturday rate of 3 hours of time and a half, and 4.6 hours of double time. So If you work, you effectively recieve double time and a half for 3 hours then triple time for the next 4.6.
jees wouldn't mind a job there
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
I've been hearing about this all year.

ANZAC Day is NOT about YOU having a day off. In fact it's not about YOU at all.

It's about the members of the Defence Force who have served or are serving their country. It's a day for YOU to say thanks to those who choose to do the job that you won't or can't do. It's a day to say thanks for the sacrifices those who serve have had to make (and there are alot). Its a day for you to reflect on those who have given their lives so you can enjoy the freedom that you all have today.
Here here you are people so shallow these days.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #29
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
Wally, as a current serving member of the Australian Army and one who has previously deployed and will soon deploy again, your comments regarding ANZAC day strike a nerve in me. First some points from your post:

"..to mark the first major action (Gallipoli) by NZ and OZ troops in WWI." Yes this is true, ANZAC day does commemorate the Gallipoli landings.

"The dawn service replicates the first landing at Gallipoli", This is wrong. The dawn service is there to symbolise "Stand-to", which occurs every time you wake up when in the field in order to be ready for the enemy. In the early years of ANZAC day, only diggers were allowed to attend the dawn service.

"It's about Gallipoli, not about serving solders or the defence forces in general." Sorry mate, wrong. Yes ANZAC day did stem from Gallipoli however in the years since, ANZAC day has come to commemorate not only the fallen but also the retired and *current serving* members.

"..symbolic gesture for those troops who have fallen.." Wrong again. What about those troops who came home from battle? What about the troops who didn't see combat but we vital in the war effort?

What you must understand is that ANZAC day has come to embody all those of the Australian and New Zealand Defence Forces. It is easy to see how you may think that ANZAC day is 'just about Galipoli'. The Galipoli campaign and subsequently the ANZACs' was the first time our young nation had really forged a unique identity. But we can never forget all those who have served in other theaters since and all those who have supported such operations. If ANZAC was 'just about Gallipoli', it would seem fitting that we also have 'AIF Day', 'RAR Day', 'TLBG Day', 'RTF Day', 'MRTF Day', 'SOTG Day' etc. These acronyms are all modern equivalents of ANZAC. Current serving members are the custodians of the traditions forged by the ANZACS. I hope you can now see why ANZAC Day *is also* about current serving members.
My post was not intended to cause you anxiety, but was my response to a misnoamer. It was not intended to weaken the admiration of the 100,000 Australians who have lost their lives in combat during and since WW1, but of those 100k, 60,000 were in of WW1. If you look up the official foundation for ANZAC day you will find it is to commemorate and remember those who have fallen.

The first ANZAC day was one year to the day of the dawn landing in 1915.

The "sons of Anzacs" were the WW2 troops.

It is true that the current day has come to honour the war dead and veterans, plus incidental support of the serving defence force. But nevertheless it does mark the dawn landing on April 25, 1915 of the "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps", which I suggest has not existed since the evacuation of Gallipoli in 1916.
Old 23-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #30
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Simple question guys. didnt need the banter with it..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post