Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #5251
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
A different perspective...

China has no problems using the military for domestic problems.

We should all use our professional soldiers to "assist"on demand?

What could possibly go wrong with that precedent?

When President Donald Trump offers military support ...no takers.

(cause little things can go wrong)
Victoria Police struggle with dealing with the average hippy Melburnian without hurting people let alone the ADF who don't have anywhere near the amount of experience the police do with 'customer service'

I agree with you from the perspective that I don't particularly want our military dealing with this kind of **** - sure they can do it no problem but its not where their experience is or what their function they serve that they spend lots of time training for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Sounds to me like some people would rather be welded in to their house!

Other states managed to do just fine. No ADF deployed in S.A.as far as I know. Not sure about wa, nt, qld and tas.

People seem to be fairly trustworthy in those states...

Play the blame game all you like but you can't have it both ways. If you want to be treated like adults, act like adults. Carry on like children and suffer the consequences.
Keep in mind in Victoria we all get treated like children so people act like it, we've always got big brother government breathing down our neck with BS like the most speed cameras in any state without signage, mobile cameras everywhere and they put a lot of effort into removing personal responsibility.

Its no surprise you've got people acting the way they do in Melbourne.

As far as I'm concerned the Government has no credibility on safety, Citroenbender has it on the money with VIC State Government is playing from a compromised position.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #5252
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ooo shame we have to turn to twitter to get some evidence. May have to use the links to get a clearer shot.

https://twitter.com/Robyn_thatwoman/...464709/photo/1

https://twitter.com/s_deery/status/1...005504/photo/1

Last edited by T3rminator; 12-08-2020 at 08:06 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #5253
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I agree with you from the perspective that I don't particularly want our military dealing with this kind of **** - sure they can do it no problem but its not where their experience is or what their function they serve that they spend lots of time training for.
They're trained to shoot people who are "uncooperative".
Seems like exactly what we need.
If they need volunteers to shoot Clive Palmoil on sight, I'm available.

But in all seriousness, the job of the ADF is to kill our enemies, but that doesn't stop them rescuing people, fighting bushfires, or being mobilised to Natural Disasters.
Furthermore, the job of Nurses and Doctors is to treat sick people, not deal with ****wits. If somebody has to do it, then might as well put the ADF to work.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #5254
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

What is the difference with getting the ADF in and Marshall Law? Adding curfews and limits on everything just makes Vic sound like a police state now.

I agree, people should be held accountable for their actions with regards to the hotel infection catastrophe, but Dan the man is the face of those decisions, so its natural to point fingers his way too.

I tell you what though, if the intention is to bring down the economy while getting majority population compliance laced with fear, this is working to plan.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #5255
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
They're trained to shoot people who are "uncooperative".
Seems like exactly what we need.
If they need volunteers to shoot Clive Palmoil on sight, I'm available.

But in all seriousness, the job of the ADF is to kill our enemies, but that doesn't stop them rescuing people, fighting bushfires, or being mobilised to Natural Disasters.
Furthermore, the job of Nurses and Doctors is to treat sick people, not deal with ****wits. If somebody has to do it, then might as well put the ADF to work.
Everyone loves an authoritarian government when it's the flogs who are in the sights - until they end up on the receiving end for various reasons.

I distinctly remember boomer women calling into radio talk shows complaining about being randomly pulled over or being questioned over what they are doing by Vic Police early on and complaining about how unfair it was that they had to answer questions.

She was whinging about having to prove she was going to Coles when she had the Coles bag in her hand and in the car park and it was some great injustice that the police were targeting her when she hasn't ever stepped a foot wrong in her life.

Did you think it didn't apply for you love? It was only those dastardly reffos in the North West!

Sure the ADF can do all these other roles but I don't think it's the right fit for the job when we have people who this is their role, their function and their experience, I don't get the warehouse guys at work to do sales even though yes they know how to answer a phone and say 'hello'.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #5256
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sure the ADF can do all these other roles but I don't think it's the right fit for the job when we have people who this is their role, their function and their experience, I don't get the warehouse guys at work to do sales even though yes they know how to answer a phone and say 'hello'.
Agree. And also isn't it risky to use ADF members during a pandemic? What if the virus was to spread through the ADF? The virus is estimated to have long lasting effects on the lungs, heart and potentially the brain. With political tensions they way they are now, they may well be needed in the not too distant future. Its not like we have millions on standby to take over.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #5257
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I distinctly remember boomer women calling into radio talk shows complaining about being randomly pulled over or being questioned over what they are doing by Vic Police early on and complaining about how unfair it was that they had to answer questions.
She's obviously never driven a Truck
Old 12-08-2020, 09:30 PM   #5258
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

No ADF services offered to VIC government (or any other state or territory) for hotel security duties whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Andrews being exposed as a liar. Said there was no offer of ADF to do security work at the hotels, but there is evidence to the contrary with Scott Morrison clearly offering it in press conferences and via government communications.

This whole second wave basically started with this screw up. Take the responsibility for it you spineless weasel.
Who's the spineless weasel again??
Please provide said evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by Tickford.; 12-08-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #5259
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
She's obviously never driven a Truck
Or an obviously modified car wearing a backwards baseball cap
Old 12-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #5260
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Army Navy and Air Force helped with the FIRES pre covid - and unarmed.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:20 PM   #5261
PhilT2

I think the ADF could play a role; there's nothing like a couple of howitzers parked at the side of the road to convince people that they should stop at the roadblock.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #5262
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
What is the difference with getting the ADF in and Marshall Law? Adding curfews and limits on everything just makes Vic sound like a police state now.

I tell you what though, if the intention is to bring down the economy while getting majority population compliance laced with fear, this is working to plan.
Thanks.
Comments like yours really help with my understanding, of how people are so stupid as to still be spreading the virus.

That's right, you've figured out their dastardly plan, there is no virus it's just a giant conspiracy (by Jewish Bankers) to take away our guns and our civil liberties.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2020, 10:25 PM   #5263
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sure the ADF can do all these other roles but I don't think it's the right fit for the job when we have people who this is their role, their function and their experience,
Really?
We have people whose role, training, and experience, is "Dealing with Morons during a Pandemic"?
I must have missed those job adverts.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:38 PM   #5264
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Did you think it didn't apply for you love? It was only those dastardly reffos in the North West!
The same people who spray glyphosate around without doing any research are the same people who want to trust Putin, don't wear masks, trust the government/dont trust the government based upon what the bad side of the internet tells them (reddit), trust the media and complain on talkback radio.

And watch Russia Today for its 'edgy' feel.

Fair is fair though the corporations are lying to everyone even those who do the research.

Doesn't matter how many times you say "roundup doesn't cause cancer" and rock back and forth though. It still causes cancer and ya'll poisoning yourselves.

I would find it funny if it wasn't so horribly terrifying that a country like Russia which has a terrible human rights track record is now asking us to trust them with an injection.

Sorry but I don't think 'edgy' and 'cool' when I think of Russia.

A sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMXSgPsfYYk

The 'cool' and 'awesome' thing for boomers to do today is to distrust the science and trust corporations despite corporations paying to bias scientific fact in their favor. I'm pretty sure an entire generation of boomers have grown up never being told by teachers to do their own research before trusting the word others and that it is this mechanism which is being used by corporations worldwide to great effect to completely destroy the modern world.

I also wouldn't trust Bayer, who now owns Monsanto.

Its enough to make you want to vomit up a tumor or two.

Last edited by gooseneck; 12-08-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:54 PM   #5265
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Thanks.
Comments like yours really help with my understanding, of how people are so stupid as to still be spreading the virus.

That's right, you've figured out their dastardly plan, there is no virus it's just a giant conspiracy (by Jewish Bankers) to take away our guns and our civil liberties.
I never said there was no virus, but perhaps the virus isn't deadly as we are lead to believe. Not in comparison to other viruses out there with vaccines at the ready.

We never shut down the economy for the Flu did we and we have yearly vaccines with that. We just accepted X amount of people die each year and go about our merry way. But yet here we are!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 12:35 AM   #5266
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I never said there was no virus, but perhaps the virus isn't deadly as we are lead to believe. Not in comparison to other viruses out there with vaccines at the ready.

We never shut down the economy for the Flu did we and we have yearly vaccines with that. We just accepted X amount of people die each year and go about our merry way. But yet here we are!
Does the flu collapse the health system?

The countries with major outbreaks have had far more deaths this year than the same time last year.
So saying covid deaths are just substituting other usual deaths is not correct.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 13-08-2020, 01:39 AM   #5267
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
You've obviously not posted anything anywhere lately. We had an Express shipment (EMS) to Canada that arrived after 11 weeks and this was early in the COVID outbreak when there were still some international passenger flights. Express shipments in Australia are taking 3-7 days even from country Vic to Melbourne and NZ EMS is taking about a week.
I'm just going by the Australia Post suggested delivery times.

Sydney to NZ Courier service 2 business days,

Express 3 business days,

Standard 5 business days.

Say the courier service took 3 days, or the express 4 days it's still within time frames of virus lifespan on paper.

Then... there is this:

Quote:
Coronavirus: How did COVID-19 resurface in New Zealand?
New Zealand went more than 100 days without a single case. Now, the country is back on lockdown. Where did the COVID-19 cases come from?

Gavin Fernando AUGUST 12, 2020

With New Zealand back in lockdown, officials are now investigating the possibility that the new coronavirus cases came through imported freight.
https://www.news.com.au/world/corona...00bfb723858cae

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 13-08-2020, 07:23 AM   #5268
gooseneck
Banned

Makes sense. If you don't sanitize every single surface of every single package/parcel coming in chances are that one of those surfaces will have the virus. Why authorities/companies aren't figuring this out I'll never know.

Might be a good idea to sanitize all of the surfaces of all of the parcels that I receive from now on.

I have been somewhat weary around them anyway as I put the packaging into the garbage, holding it by the edge and washing my hands afterwoods.

But then some young dumbass was coughing up a lung in every isle of the 7-11 this morning and coughed on the back of my jacket. Oh well. Teach me to go outside. (cough cough cough cough cough, in quick sucession, multiple times.) I shook my head at him.

If I were the smart type I wouldn't be going to 7-11 anymore. I'll be buying my fuel from an independent store far away from the main highway and wearing a mask then paying with card then santiizing my hands after I get into the car with my 80% isoprop/water spray mix. A tad weird to be wearing gloves too while filling up with petrol but the option is there.

Last edited by gooseneck; 13-08-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 13-08-2020, 10:55 AM   #5269
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great headline in today's Shovel

"Daniel Andrews is a dictator and also he didn't use the Army enough"

Priceless
4 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #5270
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
And I'm sure the government never intended to have the security firm use anything other than what I've highlighted above. It would be interesting to have a look at the contract to see what it stated the level of competency the security firm required of its staff for this job.

But at the top of what? Just because the government was involved, why does it have to be them? Why not the top of the security firm? Or the agencies they used to find the employees used on this job?

Seems like it's just too easy to blame the government for anything and everything,

Now, I;m not saying that things couldn't have been done differently or even better. But that is the advantage of hindsight. Remember, there's no rule book that is at easy grasp to lead those in government through this pandemic. And they would have also been under considerable stress throughout this whole process, which would make it even more difficult. I just think you shouldn't judge someone until you've spent a bit of time in their shoes. Surely they deserve the benefit of the doubt?
Did the people who have now died due to this hotel quarantine screw up, get the benefit of the doubt?
Old 13-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #5271
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I never said there was no virus, but perhaps the virus isn't deadly as we are lead to believe.
I think the facts say otherwise but I'm never going to convince you, so I'm not going to bother trying.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #5272
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

So while it is only second hand I have a mate who is a paramedic now in medical training, and has been helping skill up police/guards/etc.

He has seen people get infected more than once, and the second time its not good. Blokes in their 30's.

She aint no flu.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 13-08-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 13-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #5273
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

It really isn't that deadly at all, if you look at the number of infections vs the number of deaths. Not to mention the number of people who have been infected that don't even know they have been. The exception being the elderly and unhealthy.

But it is really contagious, which makes it so bad, as the numbers of infected can soar so easily. It spreads like wild fire if left unchecked.

To me that is the difference between this and the flu. The flu is nowhere near as contagious, as well as being slightly less dangerous to the average healthy person.
Old 13-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #5274
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Fifteen out of ten people were tested positive with corona virus today.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
3 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #5275
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It really isn't that deadly at all, if you look at the number of infections vs the number of deaths. Not to mention the number of people who have been infected that don't even know they have been. The exception being the elderly and unhealthy.

But it is really contagious, which makes it so bad, as the numbers of infected can soar so easily. It spreads like wild fire if left unchecked.

To me that is the difference between this and the flu. The flu is nowhere near as contagious, as well as being slightly less dangerous to the average healthy person.
How can you say that given there are some warning signs that this virus leaves permanent damage which is looking like it will affect peoples' life expectancy?
Previously-healthy people are reporting ongoing complications that they may never recover from, athletes included.

Old 13-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #5276
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Fifteen out of ten people were tested positive with corona virus today.
That just proves its different
Old 13-08-2020, 02:07 PM   #5277
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
How can you say that given there are some warning signs that this virus leaves permanent damage which is looking like it will affect peoples' life expectancy?
Previously-healthy people are reporting ongoing complications that they may never recover from, athletes included.
Did they die though? Cause that's all that's being recorded.

And no one knows the long term effects yet. It seems very hit and miss. Some people will have no effects, basically no sign they even had it. Yet a few get hit like a tonne of bricks. Most people just have basic symptoms and then they are fine. Some take ages to recover. It's all over the shop.
Old 13-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #5278
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
5 users like this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #5279
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

414 new cases for Australia and 21 deaths sees the CMR rise to 1.591% and active cases rise to 9,382. NSW recorded 18 cases with the balance in Victoria. It was also the single highest daily total for deaths since the pandemic began.

9 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.393% and active cases rise to 26.

The UK recorded 1,009 new cases and 180 deaths so the CMR rises to 14.884%.

Just over 54.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,504 deaths sees CMR down to 3.16% and active cases at 44.9% with the raw numbers rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths pass 750k, the last 100k taking only 8 days again;
The USA completes 67M, India 26M, Australia 5M and Colombia 2M tests;
Asia recorded a record high for new cases with 93,059;

Albania (141), Greece (235), Paraguay (499), Ethiopia (943), Venezuela (1,150), Romania (1,455), Morocco (1,499), Argentina (7,663), Peru (8,875) and India (67,066) all recorded new daily highs, those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 13-08-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 13-08-2020, 02:51 PM   #5280
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Attachment 103356

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 18-08-2020 at 03:56 PM.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread