Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 28-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
Bazilj
Starter Motor

Default WT auto verses WS auto

Hi, not a Fordifile yet because I need to know..Is the 1.4 WS auto as bad as is made out?? Definitely prefer the WS interior finish but need an auto for the bride, I've driven a WT auto and it's fan bloomin tastic. Any opinions?

Bazilj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't driven either, but it's a 71kw 4 speed vs 89kw 6 speed... Mind you, if it's driven around the city most of the time, it mightn't matter.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd pick the WT over the WS auto in a heartbeat. 71kw - 89kw is a huge difference in a car like the fez, plus the WS auto used more fuel, as well as being slower.

If your really stuck on the WS, maybe give the missus some manual lessons... hehehehe
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Bazilj
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, guess I really knew the answer all the time....manual lessons for missus is a good idea.....but you don't know missus!
Edit
So what's the word on the Focus TDCI Powershift, looks good on paper.

Last edited by Bazilj; 28-12-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: just had an idea
Old 03-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reviews I've read on the PowerShift auto in the new Fiesta are nothing short of absolute praise. Some think the auto is a little better than the VW DSG transmission.

The PowerShift in the Focus TDCI is quite similar to the Fiesta unit. Both have been claimed as very smooth and refined, while fuel consumption is kept at a low. Good luck!
Old 16-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is as good a thread as any...

Have just about talked the Mrs into taking a WT Fiesta over a Corolla (couldn't get her to go a Focus). Essentially, I said "Come and have a look at it", and as you Fez guys know, the new Fiesta is a looker.

A few questions, for anyone that can answer them.

1. How does it compare for performance with, say, a Corolla or a Focus? We're talking the automatics here, by the way, which is why it has to be a WT rather than a WS (with its wussy 1.4 71kw auto).

2. How does it compare for interior space with the other two? In particular, any problem with fitting a child seat in the rear? I'm guessing not, but the kid is going to be the only usual rear passenger, so short of shoving the seat and kid in, we have to go by instinct.

3. Any other observations I should pass on?

Last edited by In Focus; 16-01-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Wrong kw quoted.
Old 16-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats 'In Focus' on successfully being able to get your wife to consider something other than what she wanted to begin with. That alone is worthy of a medal!

On a more serious note, 0-100 times compare quite evenly. I believe Toyota quote something like 11 seconds for the automatic Corolla, the Fiesta would be around that. Interior space definitely goes to the Corolla, listing dimensions is pointless because it's a bigger car. The modern Corolla is the same size as the first Toyota Camry, bigger in some regards! As you'll know, a baby seat is huge. And even in big cars seems to take up far too much room for what is essentially a little peanut sitting inside haha. I has seen a members Fiesta with a baby seat in the back, and was surprised how well it did fit though. The middle seat was compromised, but for short trips it wouldn't be a major hassle.

Overall, you know the drill, let her drive it, take the baby seat, fit it in the Fiesta, take it for a drive, ask if you can have it for a bit of time. The Fiesta, IMHO, is a much better car. But the Ford experience can be a letdown if you have a dodgy dealer. If you have a good one, get the Fiesta no doubt. Mine's a blast. From what I can tell, the Thai-built WT is just as good.
Old 16-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #8
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As Danny says, the corolla and focus are alot bigger inside. They are the next size up, so the fiesta is not really ever going to compare in rear legroom, headspace, boot space if thats a deciding factor. Also take them all home and fit the seat into it. try getting the kidlet in and out, include ya shopping etc. No point buying a car then finding out later.

Also I dont know about the WT, but the WS doesnt have rear cabin lights which makes getting stuff out of the back at night a real pain in the ***!!!
Old 17-01-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks boys. Good answers. Funny, I looked at Ford's claimed measurements, and it appeared there wasn't much difference in the internal measurements. I figured the difference in length must be more of a case of a shorter boot/hatch and bonnet.

Old 17-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
Bazilj
Starter Motor

Sedan or Hatch ???????
Old 17-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hatch. In fact, Ford claims the Fiesta has a fraction more front legroom than the Focus. The other dimensions are not a lot different, a matter of millimetres, other than the front shoulder room, which is about 9cm less in the Fiesta. I'd guess that's because the car is not as wide overall.

Last edited by In Focus; 17-01-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: More info
Old 18-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While you are spot on in regards to the measurements being close, sitting in a friends VW Golf on the weekend really reinforced how small the Fiesta is, and even then, it's huge for a light car. The Golf too has similar measurements to the Fiesta, but that extra width, it just makes the car feel so much bigger.

Definitely have a go at it first. It suits me perfectly, but I don't have kids :-)
Old 23-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a close look at some today (dealers closed). They are small and compact, particularly in back, though that's cool with me (easy for missus to park, for one thing...)

One question: are those headrests in the back removable? I'm particularly concerned about the middle one (for the bloody child-seat, of course).

Old 23-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
trento
Audiophile

yup, they all slide out.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took the plunge today, and put a deposit on a highlight silver LX hatch auto. Might have to fight the Mrs. to drive it.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Congrats mate! Just a piece of trivia, the WS Fiesta had a boot only 2L smaller than the Corolla of the time - that's milk bottle difference!!

I believe the Corolla may have moved to a space saver spare or something that means it now might be slightly bigger - but not by as much as you'd think.

Enjoy the Fiesta, I'm already warming up my better half for a WT LX auto... She wants a Zetec!!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I have a WP Fez, and I believe the WS/WT is more spacious inside.
Still, there's room in the back seat for a baby capsule on the left and a booster seat on the right, with just enough room in the middle for a skinny passenger.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #18
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats mate. Hopefully you don't end waiting months like some here had to when the WS was launched. IMHO the WT is all the car the WS is, and with the extra features, even more. Plus I swear that feel even smoother on the road and are quieter? You'll love it.

I can confirm the WS is bigger than the WP/WQ Fiesta inside. Does feel a bit bigger, but not to the point where it feels bloated. Still a tight, nifty little car. We're lucky that the WT/WQ/WS/WT Fiestas we've had in Australia have all been fantastic cars.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Thanks, boys. It's supposed to be ready to go by Friday (better be...) - the only reason we couldn't get it straightaway is they didn't have a hatchback in silver in that dealership, and had to get it from a sister yard. Apparently, despite all the new and funky colours, people only want silver, white and grey.

Looking forward to trying it out myself, actually. The car sold itself to the Mrs. Her test drive lived up to its looks, even without considering all the modern bling like voice control etc. She also feels it isn't that much smaller than her 2003 Corolla. Presumably, newer Corollas are bigger, as these things tend to grow over the years. She says my Focus feels heavy and cumbersome by comparison.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #20
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Thanks, boys. It's supposed to be ready to go by Friday (better be...) - the only reason we couldn't get it straightaway is they didn't have a hatchback in silver in that dealership, and had to get it from a sister yard. Apparently, despite all the new and funky colours, people only want silver, white and grey.
The south aussies must be different lol. All I see here is dark blue, light blue and the green color. I cant remember the last time I saw a silver or grey ws.

Wait till you drive it through some twisty tarmac.. You'll turn around and do the road again, just because your so surprised at how hard it goes around corners.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had the first long drive in the Fiesta 6-speed petrol auto, and have to say I was impressed. Easy to handle, even at speed, sat on 110kph at around 2500rpm, which is about where the Focus sits. A little bit of torque steer, and general wheel-fighting, but not too taxing. Rides well also.

I'm getting used to the gearbox, now that I'm starting to see the logic in it. It revs hard and changes up quickly in the lower gears, but then smooths out. I'm presuming it's designed to get to as high a gear as possible quickly to keep the economy rate high.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why the manual still is left with a 5-Speed manual that revs at near 3100 RPM at 100 km/h I'll never understand.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #23
trento
Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesLikeAZetec
The south aussies must be different lol. All I see here is dark blue, light blue and the green color. I cant remember the last time I saw a silver or grey ws.
Probably the last time you saw mine... Don't see to many silver fez's round my way... makes me feel special.

ZOOM ZOOM: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS (2nd gen) 256bhp through the front wheels... hello torque steer!!!
trento is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post