Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Default DM Video Hosting?

On the same idea as the AFF video section, I understand it is a bandwidth buster but what if you have elite DM status? 'x' amount of $$ over a standard DM contributed going towards some webspace to host some videos? Locked forum only avalaible to those that put up the extra dollars?

I dont know the costs involved but would be a good incentive to get people to contribute enough to cover it surely?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I'd be happy to pay for that.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like a good idea and if a reign was kept on how many videos were up, we could probably make a go of it, but, as you say .. it's the bandwith busting part of it that is of concern.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
sounds like a good idea and if a reign was kept on how many videos were up, we could probably make a go of it, but, as you say .. it's the bandwith busting part of it that is of concern.
Know exactly what you mean. Watching bandwidth usage carefully this month. :
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 11:07 PM   #5
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still, if people are reasonable in what they download....then it shouldn't be toooooo bad.
Part of the Works in Progress (tm)
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Still, if people are reasonable in what they download....then it shouldn't be toooooo bad.
Part of the Works in Progress (tm)
working on an easy way to do d/l quotas!

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 17-01-2005 at 10:05 AM.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 04:05 AM   #7
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

what about bit torrent ??? i have a "few" vids that i would be happy to share .... say about ......er...... 12Gb's........
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Sounds like a great idea, but not the bit torrent part, i cant work out how to use it :(
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
what about bit torrent ??? i have a "few" vids that i would be happy to share .... say about ......er...... 12Gb's........
This is an excellent idea. Set up an AFF tracker that could somehow be linked to the vBulletin user database (if possible) so that only registered members can share and download stuff.

That way we could share anything and AFF won't be hit for the bandwidth.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Toed
This is an excellent idea. Set up an AFF tracker that could somehow be linked to the vBulletin user database (if possible) so that only registered members can share and download stuff.

That way we could share anything and AFF won't be hit for the bandwidth.
would work well except that bit torrent is all but dead.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2005, 12:02 AM   #11
3Toed
The Smoking Sloth™

Not really. Sites that host the illegal .torrent files for copyrighted software are dying (RIP SuprNova :() but the system itself is very much alive. The beauty of BitTorrent is you don't need to rely on someone else to keep it running. You can have your own tracker and manage it all yourself.

I've done a little research since my previous post and I've set up a tracker on a test server and it works. It's just a little Python script that needs to be run and that's all there is to it. It has very little overhead on the server (it only keeps track of who is connected and how much they of the data they have) so it's not a resource hog.
Amen Brother.
3Toed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post