Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Car list and your opinions.

Well guys, I need to ask of your opinions. I'll be buying a car late next year to mid 2010, budget is around $20-$25K for my first car. Mainly small/medium sized cars if they're new. No bank loans or finance either.

So far I've come up with the new car list:

Ford Fiesta LX (2009 model)
Mazda 2 Maxx
Mazda 3 Neo
Mitsubishi Lancer ES
Honda Jazz VTi (2009 model)
Suzuki SX4 Sedan
Hyundai i30
Proton Persona

My family (except my sister, shame on her) can all drive manual, so I won't justify the extra few thousand of buying an auto, considering I can change gears perfectly fine by myself. The cars will be dailys, pretty much carting me to work/school and occasionaly family out somewhere.

Would like to gather peoples opinions on these cars, so far I've sat in the Mazda 3 Neo and the Mazda 2 Maxx, I liked them both, the Mazda 2 could fit me and Dad in the back comfortably with the seats all the way back, thats pretty cool considering we're both fat bastards.

I love the look of the new Fiesta, I sat in the old one and I didn't like the interior and the whole dash looked poor quality and the font on the speedo was ugly, small point but it left a bad taste in my mouth. The new one looks really nice and modern and comes stacked to the brim with extra features, so that is number one on the list.

Now for the used car list:

1999+ AU Fairlane Ghia
1998 Nissan R34 GT Skyline
2003 BA Fairlane Ghia
2007/8 Dodge Avenger (Cant justify buying this new)
1997 NL Fairlane Ghia

Leaning toward the AU Fairlane because its big and has leather seats, fits 5 people comfortably and has nice wood grain inserts while not being too old and is relitively cheap, but I'd be looking at a manual conversion on the Fairlanes if possible and not too expensive because driving auto is boring. I can pick up an NL Fairlane rather cheap, I've been searching away on Carsales and the like for a while now.

Looking for opinions, Mummy and Daddy aren't paying for this by the way, its from work.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hyundai i30. bloody good car for the price

hop onto carsurvey.org as well. they have writeups from people who have owned certain cars.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to buy new then the i30 is a brilliant car and Hyundai's warranty is exceptional.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also sat in the i30, quite damn good for a Hyundai car.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 22-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
YoungFordFreak
Yamaha Rider

if i was you....Either the Au or the r34
YoungFordFreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
Marduk
BFII XR6

BA or the R34
Old 22-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Would knock the R34 (most imports) & Avenger (cheap for a reason) on the head staight away ..... and would go for the AU Fairlane, best bang for buck in that group. WOuldnt even consider changing it to manual though!!!!! If you want a manual get one already done in an XR6.

As others have said, i30 for a new car, in that category of smaller cars does seem to be the best of them at the moment.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #8
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought that about the R34, but workmates where saying its a good car and they're pretty credible. Massive insurance premium unless I get it under Dad's name, then a huge-*** excess if I'm at fault if I smash the thing.

Whats do the NA i6 Skylines go as anyways?
Quote:

Old 22-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

AU or BA is what I'd be looking at and you could get into either and still have plenty of change.
Old 22-12-2008, 11:24 PM   #10
BrisVegas
Noobie

Have you considered a Ford Focus??? You could get a Zetec for $25k...
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #11
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Thought that about the R34, but workmates where saying its a good car and they're pretty credible. Massive insurance premium unless I get it under Dad's name, then a huge-*** excess if I'm at fault if I smash the thing.

Whats do the NA i6 Skylines go as anyways?
N/A Skylines are slower than a bog stock I6 Falcon auto.

On the note of insurance I think you would want to check on insurance under your parents name. One of my friends has an R32 GTST and when he first bought it he was going to insure it under his parents name due to sky high premiums however he had to be nominated on the policy (=still sky high premiums) or they wouldn't even pay up if he crashed.

I would personally go for a used car if it's your first car and go for a locally delivered car. Out of that list I would probably go for the BA - you say you hate autos and I know I hate them too but the BA has SSS so you can change gears sort of like a manual anyway and as a plus - parts are plentiful, servicing cheap as is insurance.

Best of luck in your choices.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #12
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also on the note of the Skyline, have you actually sat in one because Skylines are quite small inside compared to some other cars and by what you have posted, it would seem to me that you would like a bigger car so that you could fit passengers - this would be a no go in the Skyline. Not to knock Skylines because they are a nice car, but they are nowhere near as practical as the other vehicles on thay list.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If ya buy new stick to jap cars ie: toyota mazda subaru cant go wrong
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 01:14 AM   #14
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
Also on the note of the Skyline, have you actually sat in one because Skylines are quite small inside compared to some other cars and by what you have posted, it would seem to me that you would like a bigger car so that you could fit passengers - this would be a no go in the Skyline. Not to knock Skylines because they are a nice car, but they are nowhere near as practical as the other vehicles on thay list.
Nah, I've gotta get down to a jap imports dealer that I know of to actually sit in one. But if they're slower than a stock Falcon, it just defeats the purpose of buying one in the first place, its older, more expensive and holds less people.

I'm yet to check out Subaru, i'll check out their website now.
Quote:

Old 23-12-2008, 01:56 AM   #15
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

J31 Nissan Maxima, recently a mate had one on his potential purchase list and I was running round with him. I thought it was bloody gorgeous car when I first saw and it goes all right as well, with a good size interior. Long story short, mate bought a ute because it was practical to his job, but i still think the maxima would have been in the running for the top spot had it been satisfactory to the purpose that needed to be served.

But out of the cars on your list, AU or BA Fairlane.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #16
Nappa
Impressive...

you will be able to pick up a 2009 Fiesta Zetec 5door manual for around 24k.
Its going to be a ripper little car. Worth considering over the other jap stuff
Old 23-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #17
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

By the time your looking a BF Fairmont Ghia should be in your price range, leather, sunroof, Ect, plus 6 speed auto.. Nice first ride.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #18
MRJUCY
Fordless

Of the littlies the new Fiesta has been getting fantastic reviews overseas & locally & if you enjoy driving it's the only one really worth considering.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #19
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used XR5 turbo - drive it and there will be no other choice.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #20
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First generation Mazda 6 is a good car too, if you are looking at the 3 and 2. MPS version if you want some stick.

Subaru Liberty too.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #21
irlewy86
Meep Meep

First car, don't waste 20-25k.

R34 with P plates just screams "defect me constable". Do yourself a favour and buy on a lower end of the scale. At 18 insurance isn't you friend and for good reason, your in the high risk catagory.
Old 23-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

doing a manual gear box change would not be real easy on a newish fairlane ,peddles ,box and bellhousing ,console ,cruise ,by that time you would have an xr with most of the fruit anyways .and i would go with small car with great handling before big tank ,for first car good luck
Old 23-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #23
dave289
Banned

I myself prefer to drive a larger car as I like the comfort and room. If I was to look at a smaller car it would probably be the current shape subaru liberty,they are modern both inside and out and the styling is very neat.I dont know what a second hand one would be worth now but if it is in your price range then you should stick it on your list as one to check out. all round good little package. I would not waste your money on a brand new little hatch ,the 25k you spend on a brand new little hatch will be worth 15k in twelve months time and you will pay a fortune in insurance on the brand new little car being so young.

I know being young the idea of a brand new car is probably the greatest thing, but the novelty of this soon wears off after you have had the car for a while.you will then wish you had bought that nicer second hand one. eg. you could buy a current shape model that might be two years old that cost around fifty thousand brand new ,you will now pay only around 25k thanks to the massive depreciation that we cop these days, this is what you should be taking full advantage of. You will be happier knowing that you are driving a fifty thousand dollar car than a brand new fiesta that is now just a second hand car the same as what you will have in twelve months time with the fiesta.

For personal use buying second hand cars these days is much smarter buying than buying a new car. some people think that buying a second hand you are buying somebody elses problems. there are many good second hand cars around for sale, a lady up the road buys a brand new corolla every four years,she looks after it gets it serviced on time and keeps it in the garage.it still looks brand new after four years yets she trades it in on a new one.If you look there are plenty of good second hand cars around, just make sure its been garaged and has full service records and is preferably a one owner vehicle.

good luck in whatever you decide and enjoy, dave. merry xmas too...
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #24
FPV 5TH

Another vote for the AU Fairlane. I had one with all the bells and whistles including a sunroof. Great car but i doubt it would have been my choice as a young guy.
FPV 5TH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Bit hard to comment since its nearly a year away...

By then you should be able to get a very tidy BFII XR6 with all the fruit (Luxury pack / 18's / 6 Speed Auto) for 20 kay... Thats what id get.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #26
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Mate with what you have listed, I'd definitely go for the BA Fairlane Ghia, should be able to get a decent one by next year for about 24K, but don't bother getting a Fairlane if you want a Manual, not worth the headaches doing the conversion. If you want a manual, and you want a biggish car, go for a XR6, still plenty of space, thousands of them around, so you can get the exact one you want.

If a new car is your go though, definetly a Fiesta Zetec, the new model should be a ripper, and by then they will have been a round for a few months so still a new shape, but any major faults are ironed out (not that there will be many of them in a german car.)
Old 23-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #27
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

skylines not worth the cash....i30 i have heard are alrite...bt i would def look at gettin a bf fairmont or bf xr6, they are a pleasure to drive...even the stock XT is a good ride...good luck mate..
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #28
azaxr8

20-25k can get you into a nice xr6 and even a xr8. i'm unsure on restrictions of p platers but in wa there is none on vehicles but thats up to you. I would not buy brand new and AU, BA parts are relatively cheap compared to jap crap.
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #29
homegrown
hotshot

have you thought about something american? The 90's mustangs aren't that expensive. maybe because the body style weren't that popular to the purists but i like them. look great with big wheels and lowered.
Old 23-12-2008, 10:54 PM   #30
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To get a Mustang, would probably have to sell one of my kidneys ontop of the cash I have already haha. Skyline is going to be crossed off the list, not too big on it now, insurance will see me selling myself out to get the cash, police will be harassing me every 5 seconds and it isn't even that 'fast'.

Keep the opinions rolling in, I'm greatful and thank you plus merry christmas. I'm in Victoria, so no V8s at all unfortunately, otherwise I'd look into getting an XR8 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
First generation Mazda 6 is a good car too, if you are looking at the 3 and 2. MPS version if you want some stick.

Subaru Liberty too.
I sat in a 2002 Mazda 6 when I was down at the dealer, it was an alright car, manual etc but the interior looked really pox, but thats probably because it was a povo base model one, but it was listed for $12,000 so not too bad for the price once you think about it.

I can't drive turbo's, so the MPS is out of the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
doing a manual gear box change would not be real easy on a newish fairlane ,peddles ,box and bellhousing ,console ,cruise ,by that time you would have an xr with most of the fruit anyways .and i would go with small car with great handling before big tank ,for first car good luck
Didn't think it would be, maybe on an AU but probably not BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
I myself prefer to drive a larger car as I like the comfort and room. If I was to look at a smaller car it would probably be the current shape subaru liberty,they are modern both inside and out and the styling is very neat.I dont know what a second hand one would be worth now but if it is in your price range then you should stick it on your list as one to check out. all round good little package. I would not waste your money on a brand new little hatch ,the 25k you spend on a brand new little hatch will be worth 15k in twelve months time and you will pay a fortune in insurance on the brand new little car being so young.

I know being young the idea of a brand new car is probably the greatest thing, but the novelty of this soon wears off after you have had the car for a while.you will then wish you had bought that nicer second hand one. eg. you could buy a current shape model that might be two years old that cost around fifty thousand brand new ,you will now pay only around 25k thanks to the massive depreciation that we cop these days, this is what you should be taking full advantage of. You will be happier knowing that you are driving a fifty thousand dollar car than a brand new fiesta that is now just a second hand car the same as what you will have in twelve months time with the fiesta.

For personal use buying second hand cars these days is much smarter buying than buying a new car. some people think that buying a second hand you are buying somebody elses problems. there are many good second hand cars around for sale, a lady up the road buys a brand new corolla every four years,she looks after it gets it serviced on time and keeps it in the garage.it still looks brand new after four years yets she trades it in on a new one.If you look there are plenty of good second hand cars around, just make sure its been garaged and has full service records and is preferably a one owner vehicle.

good luck in whatever you decide and enjoy, dave. merry xmas too...
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Bit hard to comment since its nearly a year away...

By then you should be able to get a very tidy BFII XR6 with all the fruit (Luxury pack / 18's / 6 Speed Auto) for 20 kay... Thats what id get.
I'd prefer 6sp manual and maybe just 17's instead of 18s, I live out in the country and our roads have huge pot holes in them, I think larger wheels might crack easier.

So far on the used cars list the AU seems to be winning
Quote:

Last edited by Daymoe; 23-12-2008 at 11:07 PM.