Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
mr-fusion
Starter Motor

Default 98 Festiva engine not good

Hi i posted some time ago about 98 festiva (115,000kms) that had an engine running rough.

Turns out the engine is full of carbon and crap and needs the valve stems/seals replaced because the rubber is hardened and pressure is gone, one of the cylinders eventually stops moving completely. I'm just replacing spark plugs every few weeks at the moment which masks the problem. The mechanic said the head gasket also needs to be replaced in the process. $1200-$2000 job.

And that's not a guarantee, because the bottom of the engine might be full of crap as well which will start the problem all over again.

Nightmare. I bought the car in January. What to do!

mr-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Hmmm what causes this build up of carbon? Is it due to sloppy maintenance? Would like to know as my engine is just shy of 180,000km and she still runs like new.

Don't spend that money on the repair to be honest. I'm sure a Mazda 'buble' 121 engine is a straight swap.

In fact, if you search on either ebay or trading post, for Festiva parts, there is a place that sells the engine on exchange for around $800 I think?

It's a shame your having this trouble. I han't heard much problems at all with these cars provided they are looked after correctly.

Ok found the ad:

Quote:
Ford FESTIVA B5, 1.5ltr Engine imported from Japan. Over 1500 Motors & Transmissions in stock to suit all makes. All engines are tested, cleaned & guaranteed. Fitting service available. Delivery Australia Wide., $695.00 Brisbane Motor Imports Rocklea Ph 07 3274 6611 Email bmi.sales@optusnet.com.au or www.brisbanemotorimports.com.au
The same mob advertises the 1.3 for $50 less.

Don't know where your located, but it's a start.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

fill it with alchahol or meth and see how that goes. should clean it o ut.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #4
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Moral of the story is... we should use PULP 100% off the time.
KenLee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
mr-fusion
Starter Motor

I had another festiva before this one, a nice lady ran into it accidentally and it was a write off. I bought another one because they seemed like reliable, simple, straightforward cars. I think they still are, i just got some bad damn luck this one. Mechanics say it hadn't been serviced a loooong time.

Might look at getting a new engine.
mr-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post