Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 31-08-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
rhettwalker1985
Lover of cars not badges

Default Xb GT axel hop

G'day,
The drag season is starting next week and I have finally fitted the new extractors and car by spacer, can't wait to take my coupe back down the drags to improve on that 12.4 time.
The car is a standard stroke 51 clevo with 185cc 3V heads, c4 with 3000stall and obligatory 9 inch with 4.11's, pedders shocks all round and new bushes and rubbers (neoprene) all round. The car drives like it's on rails and handles extremely well for any car let alone an xb! I do not want to sacrifice the handling of the car as it is almost a daily driver and drives awesome.
The rear tyres are 275 x 60 x 15
The car runs pretty consistent 12.4s however I have to give it almost no throttle off the line or it will spin and then feed it in as I go into second.
I refuse to use slicks as I want to do a time as close to as I can on the street, with all the same gear on the car.

The car has issues putting the power down to the ground and axel hops like mad if you give it too much. Just feels as though the rear end is trying to lift up rather than be pushed down.

I rang wilkinson suspension as they are very close to me, they asked straight away if it was a GT. I said nah and why, they explained the genuine gt's had a traction bar or spring helper thing that fixed the problem and can do to my car for only a couple hundred bucks.

Anyone know more about these??

Old 31-08-2011, 10:06 AM   #2
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Default Re: Xb GT axel hop

Drop the tyre pressures, bolt on a set of "slapper" bars, fixed.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Google 'Calvert Racing' and get some caltrac's and a pair of Mickey Thompson 275/60/15's drag radial.
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4
6.324 @ 108.93mph 1/8th PB

SOLD
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
rhettwalker1985
Lover of cars not badges

I've been warned off the slapper bars and the drag radials as they both are not legal in WA. My car has permits for everything done to it, cage and all so i don't want to give anyone an excuse to give me a canary.
Also, with the tyre pressure drop, i've tried that on the Toyo's and due to their really hard side wall it made it worse!
Getting a new set of Mastercraft 295 x 50 x 15s tomorrow. Should hopefully be better
Old 31-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
63futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettwalker1985
I've been warned off the slapper bars and the drag radials as they both are not legal in WA. My car has permits for everything done to it, cage and all so i don't want to give anyone an excuse to give me a canary.
Also, with the tyre pressure drop, i've tried that on the Toyo's and due to their really hard side wall it made it worse!
Getting a new set of Mastercraft 295 x 50 x 15s tomorrow. Should hopefully be better

How hard was it to get a permit for cage and is it rego as a 2 seater ?
Maybe look at getting an extra leaf put in or new ones
63futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

Caltrac's are legal as the don't affect suspension movement and so long as they don't hang lower than the rim section of your wheels (with 15's they don't) your fine. The drag radials are a DOT approved tire so not sure why they would not be legal, just put a pair on some old 15 x 9-10 inch rims and fit them at the track.

Their is a wealth of information out there on how to get them hooked up. No lower than 16-17psi with radials though.
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4

SOLD
Old 31-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #7
rhettwalker1985
Lover of cars not badges

Awesome thanks guys, do the caltracs effect the handling of the car during normal road use? I don't want the suspension to feel softened at all as I mentioned earlier it feels awesome on the road, just needs to hook up better.

Regardless I won't have them done due to funds, I am getting new tyres tomorrow and taking her down the drags on Wednesday nightl if I can get a very low 12 I will be happy, high 11 I'll be over the moon!

The car was already registered and permitted with the cage and minus rear seats when I got it. The only hiccup they had were with the 10 inch rims on the back, other than that it all seemed ok. However since speaking to a few othe guys, it turns out I am lucky to have it registered with the cage as they dont like that in WA, pretty sure it was done it QLD, permit I mean.
Old 31-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
rhettwalker1985
Lover of cars not badges

By permit I mean Mod plate.
Old 31-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

What radials are you buying?

With caltracs you can back them off on the street, get to the track and in 3mins you can adjust them for correct preload while your changing the rear tires.
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4

SOLD
Old 31-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
1TUFXB

Hi rhett, Ive got a set of the factory GT traction bars on my coupe, they seem to be OK, but I also had a extra leaf put in as well, to stop the springs loading up so much . You might find the traction bars on old LTD ( 73-74 model ). If you find some , be sure to get the longer bars with a bend in them and also get the ( very hard to get ) old shaped U bolts , you'll need them....
1TUFXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #11
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

The GT type bars will fail fairly quickly in a drag app. Good on the street without buckets of grunt through them.
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4

SOLD
Old 01-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes I guess you can retro fit radius rods same as Gt's but stronger...
Playing around with shock settings helps also...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
bbcoupe
It's simple, more CUBES!

My XBGT hooks up at the track with the original suspension with the radius rods on E/T street radials (275/60/15). I have run Mastercrafts, Kelly's, T/A's and have had them all axle tramp on the street and track.

If I run a smaller tyre no axle hop, just heaps of smoke!

It's really benificial to run some race tyres at the track.

bbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
rhettwalker1985
Lover of cars not badges

That'll be the next thing. Took her down last Wednesday and she was doing 12.2's. I think the next thing I will do is get either the Austracs or make up my own. Cant be bothered at the moment as its starting to rain every bloody day here and I have a Mustang to finish before I am allowed to touch my toys. Nice shot of the the launch by the way!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
GTB 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

12sec street car + caltracs + slicks and frontrunners =

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11361067
GTB 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post