Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default what oil should i use????

i dont really know what oil i should use in my 04 zetec 2l, its got 34,000km atm.
i was looking around and most specifications say i should use 5w20 or 5w30 but being hotter in australia shouldnt i go a bit higher for both numbers???
i was thinking 10w30 or 10w40. im no oil expert but im very generious when it comes to oils, call me stupid but i change it every 3000km and i average about 50-70km a day

4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Specification is 5W-30, even in our climate. You can get away with 10W-30. Mobil recommends that weight.

I have just changed to 5W-30 after years of running on 10w-30, and I reckon the engine spins far more freely. Take a look at this thread for my views

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11190667
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
4dlvr
4dlvr

im going to go along with 5w30, and see how it goes. although i dont think ill be spending as much as you did for your oil melbzetec
Old 20-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Stay with what the manufacter recommeneds, Ford have spending thousands of dollars to find which oil works best and are nice enough to share results. 5w-30 will work from -40c to 50c+.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

As the car gets more mileage you have to be a little careful as well, I wouldnt go below fords recomendation if the miles are getting high.

I swear by Royal Purple oil. Its pricey but its great. Me and my dad (he has a BA GT) have been using it for a while now, no problems.

There was a review on oil in a commodore mag I was reading one day (Im a ford guy, dont worry).

Royal purple performed the best. Followed by Valvoline, then Mobil 1. Also elf was quite good.

Motul performed extremely bad for an expensive oil, which I was shocked to read as it was always talked about very highly, it gave nearly no protection against wear.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try out Castrol EDGE 5W-30.... $48-50 for 5 litres.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
As the car gets more mileage you have to be a little careful as well, I wouldnt go below fords recomendation if the miles are getting high.

I swear by Royal Purple oil. Its pricey but its great. Me and my dad (he has a BA GT) have been using it for a while now, no problems.

There was a review on oil in a commodore mag I was reading one day (Im a ford guy, dont worry).

Royal purple performed the best. Followed by Valvoline, then Mobil 1. Also elf was quite good.

Motul performed extremely bad for an expensive oil, which I was shocked to read as it was always talked about very highly, it gave nearly no protection against wear.
Was that the BS test with a machine rubbing a piece of metal??
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 24-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #8
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Im not sure mate... From memory they had a mock up piston and bore. It was a few years ago if that helps.

But I could be mistaken... I never had the full mag, it was a segment of the article found in the oil display rack at my mechanics.
Old 24-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
melbzetec

Not a problem. There is a dodgy article on this forum somewhere with a amateur test that is interesting, but miles away from reality, involving rubbing metal against a bearing using a smear of oil. Got bugger all to do with how an oil works in an engine. I thought it amy have been that one (these things take on a life of their own on the internet)

90% of tests seem to have been done by Amsoil....and they always come out best!!!!! Go figure

Old 24-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #10
melbzetec

double post

Old 24-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yeah you'd have to expect them to pump up their own product.

In reality, most oil around those price ranges will perform pretty well, at least meeting fords standard if not exceeding.

I know they use whatever they get cheapest in the dealership, so they arent too worried. My local ford service uses shell helix 2. Dads local ford service uses one of the castrol oils.
Old 29-09-2007, 12:54 AM   #12
4dlvr
4dlvr

does anyone know exactly how much oil the focus uses??? after servicing the car today i relaized that the dipstick used for measurment is real crap and unaccurate.
thanx
Old 29-09-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
melbzetec

4.25 litres with filter change

Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #14
4dlvr
4dlvr

just thought ild update youse, i used Castrol EDGE 5W-30. its been 2000km and the oil still looks as good as it did the first time i poured it in the motor. by far the best oil ive used. it cost me $50 but it was well worth it