Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default QLD Election

A reminder to all QLD members that the QLD election is happening this weekend.

In QLD we have optional preference voting which means that you can mark up your ballot paper a few ways.

http://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/voting.aspx?id=91

Quote:
Optional Preferential Voting (OPV) has been used in Queensland State elections since 1992. OPV is a unique voting system giving voters a choice to vote for one candidate, more than one or, all candidates on the ballot paper. Voters can cast a valid vote by either:

• expressing a single primary preference for one candidate only (marking only one square, leaving all the others blank)
• expressing a partial distribution of preferences by voting for some, but not all candidates on the ballot paper (marking some but not all squares)
• expressing a full distribution of preferences (marking each and every square in order of preference).
I'd urge you to give very good thought to how you go about voting. You do not have to preference according to your favourite party's how-to-vote card. You can preference any way you choose. If you get confused, you can ask for assistance at the pooling booth.

If you are begrudgingly voting for major party XYZ then you can do this though your preferences if you so choose. They will still get your vote but you will have told them that they are not your first choice.

Quote:
Ballot papers are counted in each polling booth after the close of polling at 6.00pm on polling day and included in the election night count.

After polling day the Returning Officer for each electoral district counts all types of votes including absent, postal and pre-poll votes. These are all added to the official count by the Returning Officer.

The counting of the votes is done in stages;

• Firstly ballot papers are sorted into formal and informal votes. Ballot papers without a clear first preference are set aside as informal votes and are not admitted to the count.
• The first preferences for each candidate are then counted. A candidate is declared “elected” if they have an absolute majority of the formal first preference votes (an absolute majority is more than 50 per cent of the formal votes).

If no candidate has an absolute majority the transfer of preferences is done by:

• Eliminating the candidate with the least amount of first preference votes. That candidate’s second preference votes are then distributed amongst the remaining candidates. Ballot papers with no second preference are set aside as “exhausted”.

This process is continued until a candidate has an absolute majority of the votes and that candidate is then declared “elected”.

Finally visit the website for each party, read their policies and make an informed decision. It will only cost you 30 mins.

KAP: http://www.ausparty.org.au/page/atta...ing-queensland

ALP: http://www.queenslandlabor.org/2012/...ision-for-qld/

LNP: http://lnp.org.au/policies

GREENS: http://qld.greens.org.au/policies/qld

Old 23-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: QLD Election

top points Cs123 for not having a bash at any party

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 23-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In addition to this if you want to actually do something insteads of just constantly complaining on this forum and other places get involved.

Turn up to you local polling booth and hand out how to vote cards or explain why your party's ideas are better (just don't spend the whole time saying why the other is worse or you will sound like a maccas car park holden bogan with the same credibility).
All party's need a hand and despite what you think most voters really have no idea what all the policies actually mean.

This may be a turning point in the future of QLD and you can help.

Whatever happens tomorrow remember it will be YOUR FAULT so try and make it as good as you possibly can......
Old 24-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
glavas

Im over in south hedland at the moment and i gorgot my postal but im sure can do has this in the bag!!!
Old 24-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Whatever happens tomorrow remember it will be YOUR FAULT so try and make it as good as you possibly can......
Sad, but unfortunately true. I think we're in for a rough ride regardless of what happens..

Ed
Old 24-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
AU Mont
Banned

i want more "stimulus" packages.
Old 24-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I got exempted because i was at work all day and unable to go.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 24-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I upset one of the party reps when he was trying to give me his party's pamphlet. I declined politely twice and he still insisted I take it, so I spun around and grabbed another parties pamphlet and asked if he wanted that. He said no. I told him now he knows how I feel. He wasn't real impressed as a few of the other guys started laughing at him.

I don't object to handing out these things at the polling booths, but a polite No thanks should be all it takes for them to get the message.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Old 24-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so who won the election is Katters party now the oppisition?
Old 24-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
so who won the election is Katters party now the oppisition?
The KAP is polling around 9% to 14% primary vote, which is pretty respectable for a startup party. Early days yet, they will probably get between 2 and 5 seats. They have a few very good prospects like My Isa.

ALP is getting hammered
So far the ABC coverage has
ALP: 5 LNP 64 OTH:6

Although it's very early in the count.

I think the ALP will get between 12 and 18 seats.
Old 24-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
JimStone

Well fellow Queenslanders - welcome back to the dark ages of a overpowering partisan State Government; looks like no one heeded Flappist cautionary note.
Old 24-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

it will be interesting.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 24-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone
Well fellow Queenslanders - welcome back to the dark ages of a overpowering partisan State Government; looks like no one heeded Flappist cautionary note.
If Cam Newman doesn't sort stuff out and begine making it happen quickly within the first year we could see a major swing away to kap and others the next election , Qld sunny one day confiesed the next although it might be a decade before labor can dent this result
Old 24-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
If Cam Newman doesn't sort stuff out and begine making it happen quickly within the first year we could see a major swing away to kap and others the next election , Qld sunny one day confiesed the next although it might be a decade before labor can dent this result
I would seriously doubt it.... the mantra would be... " we have only been here for 3yrs and there is a lot to fix up" or similar... so they would get back in easy for a 2nd/ 3rd term.

Sadly its more of the same....

Katters party has done quite well though in terms of how much votes they have gotten on some seats, appears to be an average of 25% of the vote...

Kudos to them for standing up and having a go!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 24-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I would seriously doubt it.... the mantra would be... " we have only been here for 3yrs and there is a lot to fix up" or similar... so they would get back in easy for a 2nd/ 3rd term.

Sadly its more of the same....

Katters party has done quite well though in terms of how much votes they have gotten on some seats, appears to be an average of 25% of the vote...

Kudos to them for standing up and having a go!
Like all pollies these days they will just blame it all on the previous government won't they. Seems like the thing to do now in Aussie politics.
Old 24-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

So who won exactly?
Old 24-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
So who won exactly?
LNP, by lots
Old 25-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #18
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
The KAP is polling around 9% to 14% primary vote, which is pretty respectable for a startup party. Early days yet, they will probably get between 2 and 5 seats. They have a few very good prospects like My Isa.

ALP is getting hammered
So far the ABC coverage has
ALP: 5 LNP 64 OTH:6

Although it's very early in the count.

I think the ALP will get between 12 and 18 seats.
The ABC now have...

LNP - 75 (predicted 77)
ALP - 6 (predicted 8)
Greens - 0
KAP - 2
Other - 2
Undecided - 4

So its a close run thing. If by close you mean close to opposite ends of the earth.

What is the biggest win either state or federal?
Old 25-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LNP, by lots
I think the term is pwned. Just saw it on the news.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LNP, by lots
For all the non Queenslanders, LNP is the Liberal National Party. In QLD Liberal and National have merged.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Greens - 0
Thats where I like my greens.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a heads up guys, keep it objective not subjective.

Push a pro or anti party line and you risk a holiday.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Is the leader of that party the Brisbane city mayor? I recall seeing him resign from his position and run in a party a while back, looks like an interesting guy.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Is the leader of that party the Brisbane city mayor? I recall seeing him resign from his position and run in a party a while back, looks like an interesting guy.
Former Brisbane Mayor yes.. he resigned last year.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 25-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be interesting to read what excuses Labor comes up. Arrogance ? ignoring the people ? don't think so.Labor will be in the political wilderness for years. Then they may go back to their roots, and represent the workers...
Old 25-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #26
glavas

Ah down with conuism good days ahead!!! Sadly i think the state is so damaged to fix in less than 2 terms. Soes anyone no if anna lie lost her seat???
Old 25-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #27
blue sleeper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It certainly was a historic day. Kerry O'Brien was joking about them not having enough for a cricket team, maybe they can sign up for rugby sevens...

Have: 1JZ Soarer dump pipe, exhaust, coilovers , 17" mags
Old 25-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #28
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
i want more "stimulus" packages.
Uhmm worst idea how do you expect the nation to pay it back?? I no who you voted for if you even voted at all!!!!
Old 25-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #29
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
Ah down with conuism good days ahead!!! Sadly i think the state is so damaged to fix in less than 2 terms. Soes anyone no if anna lie lost her seat???
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226309216884
Quote:
ANNA Bligh tonight looked set to survive a political scare in her own Brisbane seat as Labor was annihilated in the Queensland state election.
With about half the vote counted in South Brisbane, the Premier had 52.1 per cent of the two-party preferred vote, against 47.9 for LNP candidate Clem Grehan.
Old 25-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #30
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
Unfotunately she just won her seat..You need 10 members in Parliament to be called a political party..Labor have 7...