Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
jonohall

Default painting a bumper

If i use a spray gun like this one on ebay (see link) will I get a good finish or is it a question of you get what you pay for? What sort of droplet size etc does it need to be and at what pressure? Only have a relatively small area to paint

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PAINT-GUN-SPR...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks

jonohall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

As long as the gun is setup correctly and you use a high quality paint it should be fine. Spend the time to setup the gun correctly - spray a bin if you have to.
Cheers
Old 06-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
jonohall

ta for reply

Also, does anyone know stores specializing in supplying paints, primers and lacquers of good quality. Will I have to go direct to Ford for the paint?

cheers
Old 06-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check out the reply from SirGeo in this thread for some info on painting plastic bumpers. I think what he has posted is for from new but the latter parts should apply to you:

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/archiv...p/t-16817.html
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
jonohall

umm thanks but link didnt work for me. Is something missing from it?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonohall
umm thanks but link didnt work for me. Is something missing from it?
Nope. fine for me. Maybe you have the Calais forum blocked or are blocked from it - lol.

The post is:
"Alright i'll go through the steps of painting a new plastic bar/plastic panel

This is used on every day, even on OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturing stuff sent to holden and ford)

1. Clean the new bar with Soap and Water

2. Very Light scuff, using scotch bright etc.. (you can get specific scuff pads from paint shops) just enough to get rid of the shine, be carefull not ot go through the initial gloss coat it's supplied in.

3. A very light coat of Acrylic undercoat (even if your using 2pac use Acrylic as the first coat) with about %5 flex add.

4. 400 or 600 light rub

5. Another coat of Acrylic undercoat to help build it up again %5 flex add

6. I'd suggest a good 4-6 hours to dry properly

7. Rub and then you can add your 2k undercoat if thats what your using or you can go Acrylic color from here.

* Flexaid in the acrylic color use the amount suggested on the bottle of the flexaid.

* When adding Flexaid to 2k, your datasheets should tell you how much to add, if not theirs a suggested amount on the bottle."
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post