Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #1
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Default nsw greenslips prices?

hey all.

as my rego is coming up soon, i started shopping around today for greenslip prices.

well im glad i was sitting down.

for a 31 yr old male in sydney with a 03 xr8, no accidents and 65% ncb i was qouted:

NRMA $398
AAMI $365
GIO $359
last rego (feb this year) i paid $328 through aami :

apart from the mini budget we had to have, govt cash grabs and peruvian chickens pushing up the price of oil and food, why the hell are greenslips so bloody high?

i thought my tafe fees were ridiculous.

anyone.

cheers

SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your lucky that your rego is due now dan as the new increase for the Government hasn't been brought in yet.

Mine went from $398 to $406 this year with GIO.

So much for them capping compensation payments a few years ago. Well at least the insurance companies can make a bigger profit from it :

Get ready to take a reaming I'd say.

Time to get out of this state. It will be broke soon. If it isn't already.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

yeah i reckon by february next year when it is actually due the price will be higer than the price of rta car rego.

starting to feel sore now where's the desk to lean on
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
fox270
The Fox

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Organising and running the AFF team at the Nulon national events. 

And they say the oil companies are profiteering.

Rapid means fast..
F6

Oztek Performance
fox270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
HLC
Audi S3

this will be interesting come next year. i was prolly gonna transfer my car rego etc into my name instead of my parents, cause im only paying 336 a year, without a clean record and yeah looks like ill keep it all in my dads name for another year or two im too poor. lol
Old 16-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Cheapest for me earlier this month while still in NSW on two older cars was QBE at around $268 versus $500 at AAMI with no bad history. Go figure
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i got in before the november 1 price rise $336 green $380 rego.
rego up $50 from last year, extra road tax.
youed think with all that extra money they could give me some KY jelly before the bill.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
290v
290v

sounds cheap to me in SA rego is $ 780 per year
Old 16-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Mine is through QBE, cheapest by a country mile
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out here for all the prices in one stop, with the one calculator. It is a NSW Govt site, not a broker or reseller.

http://prices.maa.nsw.gov.au/index.html

My greenslip is more than all of yours. $421 was the cheapest through AAMI.

Guess an old 'lane and the Shire are not a good mix for prices, regardless of no fines, no demerits, no accidents and no claims, and a car that does 5000k a year. Pretty excy.

NSW can finally get 6 month regos and CTP's now though.
Old 16-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

You guys got it cheap.

21 yo male, maximum no claim bonus on comphrhensive insurance, never had an accident.

$502 just for the greenslip

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #12
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got my green slip renewal in as well....was with GIO - not any more though at $650 they can get nicked....AAMI were the cheapest of the lot for me at $375 and cheaper because i have full comp ins with them as well.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 06:05 PM   #13
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i feel bad for all of you...i just paid just under 274.002005 BF MK1with nrma and i also have full comp with them.we have about 6 different policies with them so i dont know the discount %but it was just the one i got in the mail the ones they send hoping you will do it..aami who the car WAS with wanted about that $ for 6 months of greenslip
Old 17-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #14
PoMmYwOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
You guys got it cheap.

21 yo male, maximum no claim bonus on comphrhensive insurance, never had an accident.

$502 just for the greenslip

LOL u got it cheap too, trying living in sydney...im 21 live in syd and have a clean record and my cheapest was 613...

sydney sucks *** for rego n insurance etc...

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #15
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

just used that quote thing as rego on our GT is up in jan, me 27 with my wife 24 $400.11 with NRMA, thats pretty good i thought. Although dont live in metro area
Old 17-11-2008, 11:46 PM   #16
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

This is getting ridiculous......

My car is 1994 Fairmont 4.0L, 32yrs old, no bad history, location is Newcastle - $508

When does it stop?
Old 18-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #17
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to hate next years green slip then, i think they processed mine before the rate rise or i'm going to get shafted when i go and pay.

On the letter is says $447, thats living in Moree, under 30, slight dodgy record.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #18
Lynch'd

Ok first time having to do this but damn is it going to hurt. $707 is the cheapest i've found (QBE). 24, perfect driving record in Sydney's inner west. What a joke! If it wasn't for the toll cashback scheme i'd move the rego to VIC like my last car.

All in all well over $3000/annum just to have the car on the road in NSW (comp insurance, rego, ctp). Just for the exercise I did a comparison with my old address in Melb. It was $1387 cheaper to do it today down there. DAMN It hurts to drive a decent car in NSW!

/End Rant

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

A large part of the NSW CTP increase is for the MCIS levy which is to help the long term medical bills primarily for children under 16 injured.

The biggest slug has been to motorcyclists even though they are rarely ever on a motorcycle. Oh well, its easier to slug a minority.

The MCIS was meant to come in at an average of $20 per green slip. It's over $100 on my bike. More than 5 times original guaranteed NSW Labor introduced price, for something that will never benefit me or my people like me.

PS Perfect record and comprehensively insured too.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just paid my greenslip today, $487.92, this is robbery!!
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #21
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And you know what the stupid thing is, where is the 'additional support' for those not-at-fault injured on NSW roads?

My wife and my lives have been pretty affected by her car accident injury, one severe hit from behind, followed up by a less severe rear ender that made it worse.

My wife can no longer water ski, catch a bus, do a lot of housework, and basically a whole lot of little things that have really changed our lives. Luckily she is on permanent light duties in a mainly non-manual career so is still able to earn a living and continue her career. Its just our recreational and home life that is affected. I am not complaining though, the alternative does not bear thinking about. People could learn to drive though - but that is a whole other topic for another thread.

So with all these green slip price increases at least the people that should be covered will be right?

No.

My wife is not entitled to ANYTHING under the current greenslip system despite being permanently injured and incapacitated, and being out of pocket for treatments and other expenses due to her injuries. Prior to the 1999 reforms she would have been taken care of, but since it happened in 2001 - nothing. Thank heavens she can still work, and we are lucky enough to have the income to pay for her treatment expenses, private insurances, and all the additional expenses her injuries cause. According to our accountant these came to $3600 for the 07/08 tax year alone. This will be the case ad infinitum. We didn't cause the accident, but we are left to pay. No recourse.

Unless you are a quadraplegic, you get nothing from the NSW greenslip system if you are injured. If you don't have private insurances - including income protection, then you end up on societies scrapheap unless you have the financial support of family and friends.

If someone hit you, and you couldn't work and had to fight to get any compensation at all, what would happen to your situation? Could you pay the mortgage or rent? feed the kids?

When I worked in personal injury law I saw a nurse (pretty manual job) with a nice house in Sydney's eastern suburbs, lose it all after a car accident not her fault. She couldn't work and now lives in a housing commission estate in western Sydney. True story.

So where is the money going?

Its all well and good that road deaths are the lowest in history. No doubt a huge achievement. But the number of injured is increasing, largely left to fend for themselves while someone other than the injured are reaping the benefit of exhorbitant insurance prices that pays for nothing.

Let me make this clear, while I think its unfair we have to pay for someone elses mistake, at least we have the ability to do so. So really in our case its just a equity issue. Where my outrage really lies is in knowing that people's lives are well and truly being completely gutted (not just affected like ours) by totally inadequate protection from at fault drivers.

I don't know what the answers are, but surely charging more and providing less is not it.

Sorry, rant over.

Last edited by Pinch; 12-01-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #22
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I live in Adelaide...and what the hell is a greenslip?? I just pay the reg every 6 month and my insurance when it's due. Never heard of greenslip.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #23
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I am glad I live in W.A I apy like 400 odd for 1 year of rego. WTF is a greenslip?
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #24
S_M_I_D_D_Y

green slip = compulsory third party insurance covering personal injury to anyone unlucky enough to be hit by u. goes from the same date as rego you must have paid insurance before the rta will register your car
S_M_I_D_D_Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #25
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_I_D_D_Y
green slip = compulsory third party insurance covering personal injury to anyone unlucky enough to be hit by u. goes from the same date as rego you must have paid insurance before the rta will register your car
In W.A it is part of your rego i.e So long as my car is registered I am covered for a law suit resulting from personal injury sustained by a person I hit. $232 for 6months. $412 per year or something.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #26
gtfpv
GT

i have had arguments with insurance companies with green slips . they get your business and try thier luck next time . mine went up one year by $150 for nothing , they came up with pathetic excuses that arent even related to the purpose of green slips ( personal injury and public property damage) . they were saying things like the age of the car, and theft going up on that model etc etc , as you can see , not related to green slip purpose at all.
they make things up. anyhow just go i and rant and rave at the counter so all can hear you. 3 times i have done this with the same company,, and three times i have had massive increases reduced to the same price as what i paid the year before , because they couldnt justify a reason as to the pay increase .
also you might try going into a branch with your details and telling them yuo did not receive your renewel in the mail .
trust me . you'll be surprised at the lower price they give you at the branch, head offices factor in price rises, and the branch systems do not get this info . trust me . this works .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #27
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

wonder why the states can't all share a rego system. The convoluted way each state charges it's registration fees and CTP is rubbish, plus the RWC needed in some states not others. It's pretty foolish the way other states(meaning not S.A or W.A) don't include a set CTP in registration fees. Love S.A as there is no RWC, all fees payable at once and generally not that high. That and when we sell a car we don't go through the hassle and associated costs with an RWC. Just sell it and if it's un regd, then we reg it!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post