Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #31
JClarke
Deaf Driver

no offense, auto drivers, but auto tranny with thirst = fail?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke_Fiesta
no offense, auto drivers, but auto tranny with thirst = fail?
I drive an auto because it is safer with the crazy Brizvegas drivers !!! Just gotta steer and brake. !!!!!
But there shoudn't be much difference between auto and manual boxes with modern tech. Fez's there is.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #33
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FORD Fiesta MPG information, CO2 emissions and more:
Transmission: A4
Engine Size: 1596.00 cc
Fuel Type: Petrol
MPG Urban: 27.20 mpg
MPG Extra-urban: 47.90 mpg
MPG Combined: 37.70 mpg
CO2 Emissions: 179.00
Cost per 6,000 miles: £521
Euro Safety Standard: IV
Noise Level: 70.00

This is from a European road test.Fezz's are like me on a saturday night, they like a drink !!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #34
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The autos are way heavier then the manuals, just like the Focus autos are heavier then the manuals on juice..

Either way anything over 8 litres per hundred i wouldnt call economical, on highway work alone my FG XR6 averages 7.7 and around bris it averages 8.5! not bad for a car with double the power / alot more weight!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I drive an auto because it is safer with the crazy Brizvegas drivers !!! Just gotta steer and brake. !!!!!
But there shoudn't be much difference between auto and manual boxes with modern tech. Fez's there is.
Auto's arent safer... You can get more distracted in an auto then you can in a manual.. Thats if you know how to drive a manual properly and you actually use the gears. :
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #36
Fi.ES.TA

I absolutley hate autos i just dont feel in control at all
and yes you can get very distracted and day dream with having less controls to use.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #37
Spinner77

That European info quoted above is remarkably similar to these numbers on a Focus:

http://www.dicomwg12.org/reviews/FOR...3-Door-Saloon/
Spinner77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #38
Fi.ES.TA

Lol theres one difference between both of them and thats the C02 emissions
the one above is 179 and the focus is 180.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #39
curik

i think that figure is for a focus. Fiesta doesnt have a 1.6L engine.
curik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #40
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
You have a good point... for these manual pros, they can slam brakes at the same time with the clutch unlike myself :roll:
Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 PM   #41
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi.ES.TA
I absolutley hate autos i just dont feel in control at all
and yes you can get very distracted and day dream with having less controls to use.
I am feeling I should bring up a thread about auto and manuals.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #42
BruceT

Quote:
Originally Posted by curik
You are not alone, I usually get 360-400km as well. If you drive almost 100% in the city like I do, averaging 22 km/h, less than 5km each trip then it's not really the car's fault.
Oatis, Curik and others with autos and city driving.

The good thing about manuals is you have control over when you shift gears. I get good economy by shifting up at 2000-2500 rpm in my manual Zetec. What I don't get is the ability to stay with the traffic, that mostly consists of cars with bigger engines and automatic gear boxes. To keep up with cars in stop go traffic I have to work the engine more and change around 3500-4000 rpm. When I do that a lot my economy drops noticeably. I try to resist the temptation and mostly stick with the 2000-2500 rpm changes unless I feel I'm really holding things up. I usually see the people who roar ahead at the lights anyway.

You will have to work a 1.4 L auto even harder. You probably won't notice - you tend to ignore engine speed in autos - but look at the tachometer and see what engine speed you are changing gears. If you are trying to stay with the usual traffic with a 1.4 L auto I bet you are changing well above 3000 RPM. If it's a lot of stop-go traffic, that's where you're using the fuel. (Unfortunately if it's a single carriageway, being a slug just annoys people, so you may have no choice.)
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #43
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by curik
i think that figure is for a focus. Fiesta doesnt have a 1.6L engine.
My WQ Fez auto does have a 1.6 engine. The new WS is 1.4.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #44
JClarke
Deaf Driver

I believe the new WS Fiesta Zetec has 1.6L in manual versions only?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #45
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke_Fiesta
I believe the new WS Fiesta Zetec has 1.6L in manual versions only?
The reason is that Fez only has a 1.4 auto in Europe. No 1.6 auto ,so we get the 1.4 if we want an auto. The ECOnetic thats coming is a diesel with auto.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #46
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
The reason is that Fez only has a 1.4 auto in Europe. No 1.6 auto ,so we get the 1.4 if we want an auto. The ECOnetic thats coming is a diesel with auto.
Ahhh, understand now. It makes sense. Maybe Europe has no common sense in auto.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #47
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

I second bruceT. The way you drive and in what kind of traffic counts for a large percentage of economy or lack thereof. Timing lights and traffic goes a long way to keeping momentum, unfortunately... City/ heavy stop start driving is the enemy of economy. If you're really worried about it, trade in your current model when the desiesel Fez comes out.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #48
silverzetec
Starter Motor

Hi All,

just thought i would add my 2 cents worth. When we first got out WS Zetec we filled up on plain ol' ULP and got almost 600km to our tank.

I then decided to use Shells Vpower. Economy then dropped to just over 450Kms per tank and then began the morning starting issues.

after changing back to ULP start up issues seem to have disappeared (so far so good.) And am hoping the economy gets better.
silverzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #49
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverzetec
Hi All,

just thought i would add my 2 cents worth. When we first got out WS Zetec we filled up on plain ol' ULP and got almost 600km to our tank.

I then decided to use Shells Vpower. Economy then dropped to just over 450Kms per tank and then began the morning starting issues.

after changing back to ULP start up issues seem to have disappeared (so far so good.) And am hoping the economy gets better.
Looks like the fiestas doesn't like the vPower fuel in their tanks....seems the ULP is more highly recommended, thank goodness I read this before I go and collect my new Zetec this afternoon! :P
Old 02-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #50
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The ECOnetic Fiesta only comes as a 5-Speed manual. For a proper 6-Speed DSG auto we have to wait until the facelifted Fiesta, and then we should see an auto diesel Fiesta.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 PM   #51
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Im suprised that V power is returning poor Economy on the WS Range (manual and Auto). By comparison (but not specificly due to driving style and traffic density), My old WP Auto Fiesta always had V Power in it. I would be using mid 8L/100kms on average with a maximum of mid 9 -10L/100kms. I found the car to run alot smoother but yeah it did chew up the fuel. I did once put in 95 and i got excellent economy but the car felt rough and not happy with the non supremo juice.

Funny enough my XR4 is alot more fuel efficient with V Power. Mid 7L/100kms on average, at worst 9.5L/100kms. The best i ever got it was 6.1L/100kms Syd to Melb in 40+ degree heat.

I totally agree it depends on your driving style and the environment your driving in. I have tried every 98 Fuel except Mobil and overall im happy with V Power and will continue to use it. if V power isnt available BP Ultimate is my second choice.

I for one dont really care about the figures as I didnt buy the cars for that reason. Its the enjoyment what counts.
MISTA FIESTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #52
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe they'll get better once the kms get a bit higher?

I know our different brand work utes, vans (mitsi's, bt50's, hilux's) etc, all didnt really get good fuel economy till at least 10,000kms.

Be interesting to see these long term fuel usage amounts!!!
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 10:43 PM   #53
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Had my WS Fiesta CL (manual) for two months, and I've got 3000kms on the clock (it had it's 3000km service last week).

Nearly all my driving is around the city (max speed 70km/h), and I've been trying different petrols.

I realise different driving conditions etc have a big impact ... but I've had pretty poor results with Shell V-Power - I used it a lot in my old car, but I've had the best results with BP Ultimate in the Fiesta ... seems to run most smoothly and the best fuel economy.

Around town, I'm getting 7.7 to 8.4 litres/100km.

Haven't done any real highway driving yet, so I don't have figures there.

But I've been pretty happy with the fuel economy so far - official Ford figures are 8.1L/100km around the city, and I'm getting spot on that.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #54
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Quote:
Hi All,

I posted before reading this, and it's very interesting.

On a tank of Shell V-Power, I got about 8.4L/100km for city driving ... on tanks of BP Ultimate (still 98 RON petrol) I have got 7.7L/100km around the city, driving the same route at the same time (to and from work).

Seems Shell V-Power for whatever reason is not suited to the WS ...
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 PM   #55
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I tried v power in my last modded BA Mk2 T and got less power and distance.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #56
BruceT

Quote:
Hi All,

Hi silverzetec,

I've had a similar experience with my WS manual Fiesta. For the first 2300 km I just used ULP and averaged 7.2 L/100 km (based on the odometer and the bowser, not the trip meter). Usually the trip meter told me 600 km to refill. For the last two refills I used V-power and Caltex Premium and got 7.6 L/100 km with both (separately measured over over 380 km then 470 km). It told me 560 km to refill.

My route hasn't changed, but I suspect that the traffic conditions were a little heavier for this period. In particular for the first 2300 km my trip meter gave an average speed around 48 km/h at the time of most refills, but for the last two refills it was 43 and 41 km/h.

These comparisons need to be done carefully over a long period, so I'm not prepared to say that V-power and Caltex Premium give poorer economy than ULP. But I'm sure that it is definitely not worth using them to get better economy. And I honestly don't notice any power improvement - I've done a 0-100 time on V-power to compare with ULP later (I don't want to encourage this, so no details - yet anyway).

I didn't have any morning start issues, but my car is garaged in Sydney - maybe it's warmer here or in the garage?

So I'm back on the ULP for now.
BruceT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #57
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fez manual says to use 95ron or higher. Interesting that 91ron gives better mileage ?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #58
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

i know that dealers/car-makers will say anything... but in todays engines that are calibrated in such detail...especially the new WS compared to my WP, i'd say if the manual suggests 95 or higher... i'd use it, regardless of better economy on plain ULP.
Interior: Colour-coded trims. ST leather gear knob w leather gaiter. Brushed Aluminium pedals. Scuff Plates.
Performance: Denso Iridium sparks. CAI. 2" cat-back with Hi-tech stainless muffler & dual chrome tips. Lowered. RSB soon!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 01:42 PM   #59
silverzetec
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec jim
i know that dealers/car-makers will say anything... but in todays engines that are calibrated in such detail...especially the new WS compared to my WP, i'd say if the manual suggests 95 or higher... i'd use it, regardless of better economy on plain ULP.
Wasnt so much the economy that troubled me but the rough morning starts. there is another tread of mine for this issue, but the car would idle very rough, cough and plutter and sometimes stall.
after ceasing to use the Vpower, the morning issues stopped.
silverzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 12:22 AM   #60
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

As mentioned above, it may be that the small amount of ethanol in V-Power actually causes the issue?

BP Ultimate and filling up with Mobil 8000 today (neither have any ethanol) have both produced very good results for me so far.

Fiesta's are designed for 95 RON + ... but it seems that we need to avoid V-Power?