Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Wreckers in Melbourne

Anyone got a recommendation on good wreckers in melbourne for Focus?

Last night I buggered up the little plastic frame for the handbrake boot. Snapped off one of the little tabs that hold it in place. New Oak quoted me $110 to replace it! (including nasty vinyl boot) No thanks (Only quoted me $89 for the intermittent wiper assembly (which I ordered). At least that's a switching assembly, not a bit of extruded plastic)

Tried super glue.........no go.

Even my father in law who is pretty nifty with jobs like this shook his head and said 'get a new one".

So off to the wreckers I go. I think there's one in Clayton, and one in Mordialloc (close to me) but who knows if they have wrecked any Focus'

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

you know what, I dont think I have ever seen a wrecked Focus.....
Old 02-08-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
melbzetec

That's what I reckon too!!! I'm not sure there's a lot of write offs sitting around
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #4
Danny
GT4.

Good luck mate, Cant help ya there, I doubt thered be many wreckers with Focuses inside them....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
king_pin

If you find one let us know. I am sure there are a few people on here that would be in the market for a spare part or two. Personally I wouldnt mind a set of ST170 exhaust headers :
king_pin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_pin
If you find one let us know. I am sure there are a few people on here that would be in the market for a spare part or two. Personally I wouldnt mind a set of ST170 exhaust headers :
Amen to that, those headers would look nice in my engine bay but I think I'll go for some nice new ones instead.

Never seen a wrecked Focus myself but toying with the idea of buying one, getting the bits I want out of it (mainly power windows and interior stuff) and selling the rest. I swore Id never put wrecked bits on my Focus and if possible I still wont, but cant justify $1k for power windows from Ford just yet.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hmmm, a quick search found these.....

Wrecked 5dr Zetec Manual

Wrecked CL Manual Sedan

Wrecked 5dr Zetec R Manual

If anyone's thinking of buying, let me know......
Old 02-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #8
king_pin

Ouch... not a pretty sight at all.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
Tripe

Default In Tassy Anyone?

here's an ST170 if your in Hobart.

http://www.fowles.com.au/photo.aspx?m=1778696&n=1&s=F

http://www.fowles.com.au/photo.aspx?m=1778696&n=2&s=F
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah some nasty smashups there, I guess its good for situations like this where people want parts but I cant bear to see a scratch on my car let alone damage like that.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
king_pin

I am guessing those headers would be a bit FUBARed.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:24 AM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

damn I'm guessing that whole car's a bit FUBARED... that's 2 dead ST's that I know of. The other's the ex-Fast Fours project car that's shagged beyond belief poor thing...
Old 03-08-2005, 01:53 AM   #13
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Hmmm, a quick search found these.....

Wrecked 5dr Zetec Manual

Wrecked CL Manual Sedan

Wrecked 5dr Zetec R Manual

If anyone's thinking of buying, let me know......
I cant open the links.... bummer....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 01:55 AM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yeah no wrecked bits for me (only took a matter of hours for me to revert back to my policy . I'm getting a price on ST headers tomorrow (today), Im not expecting to like it though.

I've decided to try and make mine look like an RS as much as possible. Laugh as you may. And that means getting more go too, something I have always intended to do.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:56 AM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I cant open the links.... bummer....
Hmm, not sure whats going on there, just tried it myself and not working either. Maybe they update their site at this hour when normal people are asleep?! _2:
Old 04-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #16
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_pin
I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time LOL) but isn't the ST170 a Duratec engine??? Therefore I'm not sure that the headers are going to fit a 1.8 or Zetec engine

Old 04-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

I think it's Half Duratec Half Zetec isnt it?
Old 04-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

zetec block, duratec heads.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #19
king_pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
I might be wrong (wouldn't be the first time LOL) but isn't the ST170 a Duratec engine??? Therefore I'm not sure that the headers are going to fit a 1.8 or Zetec engine

It does bolt straight on but you do have to bend the oil dip stick a bit though. And I think there is also an issue with a power steering line being close to the heat of the header.

It is an expensive option. You will also need to buy the ST170 catalytic converters and flex pipe to do it all properly.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:14 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

For those that are wondering, the price on ST170 headers is $771 trade from Ford. That doesnt include your flex pipe or cat, all of which have to be done with it.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #21
Suth
Suth

All those knackered foci. Brings a tear to the eye....
Old 07-08-2005, 03:48 PM   #22
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Vehicle Details - Stock No 2063143
Damage Details: Airbags deployed, Light structural front

lol :
these guys are nuts, the front end is half crushed in
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 08:13 PM   #23
melbzetec

Gee it depends on who you ask!!!!!

Dropped in to local Ford Dealer yesterday to pick up a part.....it was $19 cheaper than I'd been quoted.

So I thought I'd push my luck and ask for a quote on the handrake boot and frame (originally quoted an outrageous $100 at this dealership, but have had no luck with wreckers), and played totally ignorant that I'd ever enquired before.

$18.88 !!!!!!!!!!! Surprise surprise, I ordered it and I pick it up this week (before the Vic cruise). The other bloke must have quoted for the whole brake lever

It really does pay to ask more than once. Fords computerised parts system is so antiquated, some of these guys have trouble reading the right part numbers

Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 PM   #24
whippet_zetec
Supes

MelbZetec,

I can vouch for that comment, I have been to my local Ford dealers parts section and have literally had to jump the counter (or at least ask them to confirm with a picture or diagram) to check they have the right part I am after as opposed to something completely above what I want.....sometimes they get it right though without double asking......

Probably a good reason for us all to post part numbers and pics of the bit and pieces we buy
Old 30-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #25
Trocse

I am on the lookout for a Zetec 1.8 or 2.0 if anyone knows of a good one out of a wreck whatever, I am putting it in a Mark 1 eski.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post