Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Question Supercar scare

What was the entire thing about. I wasn't born then and my dad has no idea. Just seems like a whole lot of hysteria over nothin.

babyf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
RayRay84
Starter Motor

Default Re: Supercar scare

Have a read of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercar_scare

Like you said, it was basically alot of hysteria over nothing...
Old 28-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hysteria over nothing indeed.
I believe it was more of an excuse by manufacturers to limit making the expenive performance cars in an era of tightening regulations and more importantly rising oil prices in the early seventies...despite legend and what some people believe, people never have bought loads of V8's as a "normal" part of motoring in Australia...they've always been a niche market, and usually on stuff like Fairlanes, Statesmans, and Premiers...luxury stuff. The GTS Monaros (in V8 form) and Falcon GS and GT's weren't big volume sellers, but they did made vast numbers of six cylinder cars and the specials were V8's.

It's similar to the hysteria at Bathurst when they put the "kink" in Conrod Straight...the XJS V12 Jaguars had reached 300kph down there, frightening a lot of people, and then Mike Burgmann got killed (the first fatality in the races history), so they put a kink in to slow the cars down. But cars now do faster lap times than ever even with the kink.

A lot of things change because of whipped-up hysteria, and the Supercar Scare was one of them...headlines of "160mph supercars!", and claims that young people would be driving them...that's about as sensible as saying the Porsche 911 Turbo should be banned because a 17 year old could drive it...ignoring the P-plate restrictions, he probably could, but how many would afford to actuall do it? A GTHO Phase Four would have been a limited run extremely expensive premium vehicle...the only ones who could afford it would be older drivers.

I love the quote from the Chrysler guy in that Wiki article..."The Charger R/T is not a super-car"....
...sure...just keep telling the unsuspecting public that...the E49 had 300hp anyway...300hp of V8 killing 265 six cylinder hemi in a light short wheelbase Charger.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 28-01-2012 at 05:26 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

We had something similar in the US. They didn't outlaw such cars, but the insurance companies added huge surcharges for cars with big-block engines and for younger drivers.

Then the fuel crisis hit and compression was dropped. That pretty much put an end to performance for 10-15 years here.

I'm amazed at how long our new "muscle era" has lasted. I'd say it started no later than 1987, and it's still going strong.
Old 28-01-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You had to have lived through that era to truly understand it . Evan Green should have been shot for that article .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

That article killed the production Phase IV XA, didn't it?
Old 28-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Supercar scare

Hi all
Yes I lived through the so called supercar scare era
and yes a 17 year old could in reality buy one
but and it was a big but
as the cost of a GT HO Ph3
was just on $5000 about half the cost of a house
so in todays terms you would be looking at about
$200,000 to $300,000 to buy one
in relative terms they were very expensive
for what you got
(do you know any 17 year olds with that sort of cash)
beside the cost of the car
the Ph4 was going to have disc brakes all round
never heard of in an OZ car
so we all thought wow you would never crash that
but that was not enough to stop the press ( Evan Green)
from cruicifying them (just think Gover )
with the power to send a car co to the wall
thats my memories of the S/C scare
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

In retrospect, i don't think it was that bad...Annoying yes, but look where we are now...

Ford has a supercharged V8, we won.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
No.6

I like this thread as i have always wondered what this 'super car scare' was all about. I was born in the '80's, so hearing peoples perspectives on the whole thing that lived through it is really quite interesting to me.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
Rog246

The Japs call them ' Hero Cars ' quite apt when you think about about !
cars are bought and sold off the concept that " My car looks like the car that I realistically dream about owning" as opposed to the poster car I might have on my bedroom wall.
It works that same as the old " Win on Sunday sell on Monday " philosophy of the 60's and 70's
rog
Rog246 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

while it seems like an injustice when looking at the phase 4 (which seemed a much more refined car than the phase 3), i don't think the factories building race cars was such a good idea. it probably got canned at the right time. it would have been good if the phase 4 went ahead, but the cars seemed to be progressing too quickly

i don't agree with them being too expensive for idiots. while they were probably too expensive for younger kids, money does not buy you brains. they were not that expensive anyway - compared to the price of a house today, they wouldh've been around $200,000. however $5,000 was easier to find then than $200,000 now. buying a house for $13,000 was much easier then, than buying one for $500,000+. not easy at all, but not as difficult
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
You had to have lived through that era to truly understand it . Evan Green should have been shot for that article .

I agree. All it took was that sensationalised article from that attention seeking, MG driving, B grade journo and it was all over.

I was driving cars in that era and had a drive of a GT HO brand new. I was impressed with its performance but you can kill yourself in any car without trying to hard.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember growing up during my teens probably just after the super car scare(but was well aware of it) as a young petrol head in an area with many automotive shops in the surrounding suburbs , beaters mechanics, speed shops, a favorite past time by myself and my mate was guessing what car tore past our front window whether it was a GT or Monaro by the exhaust note,etc,etc,

my step dad was a towie, and many a factory hot rod ended up wrapped around a pole with dead occupants, hence when it came close to time to get my licence, i had my eye`s on an xc v8 interceptor, he was adamant i was`nt having a v8 and would`nt go guarantor that i needed to get a car loan at the time,\
i reckon it was a fair assessment that local cars did`nt have the braking performance for their speed capability, in hind sight it was probably a good thing, even an old HG belmont with a grandpa spec 6 cyl (4 wheel drums was common at the time) in it did`nt have great brakes, while they had plenty of power assistance they would lock up so easily(deadly) and you could be out of control, and that was common in those days.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Sprint XR8

Herald Sun 2/7/1972

Herald sun 9/7/1972

Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

The following text comes from Ford Falcon GT: 1967–2004, compiled by Ewan Kennedy:
Quote:
Intended to be the star of the new XA range, the Phase IV differed mechanically from the Phase III only in minor details. The engine combustion chambers were revised and modified and the compression ratio reduced. New headers were fitted for a wider spread of torque. A new sump was faabricated, with an extra pod on either side. This increased the oil capacity and pick-up efficiency, while oil surge and frothing was reduced by the inclusion of a baffle. A larger radiator was fitted and a new fan with changeable blade pitch angles that saved power.

Estimates put the power output of the revised engine at around 340 bhp at 5800 rpm and 390 lb/ft of torque at 3600 rpm. A 3.0:1 diff ratio was fitted and the close ratio gearbox ceased to be available.

New rear springs were used and the rear anti-roll bar removed. The front anti-roll bar was softer.

Everything was going according to plan until the middle of 1972 when a motoring article written by Evan Green hit the front page of the Sydney Sunday Herald. According to one report, Green's story was to have been published towards the back of the paper but the then-Prime Minister Billy McMahon successfully had a political story 'pulled' and the supercar story was whipped up and elevated to fill the hole on page one.

Whatever the background, the article highlighted the exaggerated conjecture circulating at the time that the local car-makers were about to produce virtual road going racing cars capable of enormous speeds. Things rapidly got out of hand and the imagination of the press and public was gripped by this story. The rest, as they say, is history.

The NSW Government supposedly threatened to suspend fleet contracts unless the local car manufacturers dropped their planned supercars. Holden put the V8-powered XU-2 Torana on the back burner, though it effectively appeared later in LH form as the SLR 5000. Chrysler dropped its V8 racing ambitions, but went ahead with the six-cylinder E49 Charger and E55 Charger. The latter had the 340 V8 but was hampered by a mandatory three-speed automatic.

Ford reacted more dramatically and simply dispensed with the Phase IV project in the second week of July 1972. Since then, Ford has virtually denied that it had ever been considered. The company issued a statement to dealers saying that although price lists mentioned a $740 GT-HO option, "This reference is an error. There has never been, is not now, and never will be, such an option during the life of the XA Falcon model."

Despite Ford's statement, four prototypes were built. At last count three were still extant. One was used in competition but only in rallies and not on a circuit.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I remember to buy one you needed a cams licence to buy one..
A few friends come over from N.Z at the time to buy one..
Friend Revs was the only one with MANZ licence..
Three weeks later it was in N.Z...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Sprint XR8

Sun Herald 25/6/1972

Quote:
160MPH “SUPER CARS” SOON.
Minister Horrified

By the Sun –Herald Motoring Editor EVAN GREEN

Australia’s three major car makers are about to produce ‘super cars” with top speeds up to 160 miles an hour.
But NSW transport minister Milton Morris said yesterday that he was appalled at “bullets on wheels” being sold to ordinary motorists.
The automotive “big three” General Motors Holden, Ford and Chrysler are building the cars for a head on confrontation in Australia’s most important motor race, the Hardie Ferodo 500, at Bathurst on October 1.
The cars will be available to the general public for use on the open road.
Bitter Controversy.
SUPER CARS HORRIFY TRANSPORT MINISTER
The new models, developed from family saloons, are among the fastest and most powerful cars in the world.
Their introduction is sure to arouse bitter controversy.
The “super cars”are :
A V8 Holden Torana, which will replace the 6 cylinder XU1 as GMH’s top competition car.
With it’s light body and big engine, it is potentially the fastest car ever built in this country, with a theoretical top speed in excess of 160mph.
Australia’s most powerful car, the 380 bhp Ford Falcon GTHO Phase 4, which is capable of sustaining a maximum speed of 152mph, but is expected to go faster on the down hill straight at Bathurst.
An updated version of the Chrysler Valiant Charger, with a high performance 6 cylinder engine developing almost 300bhp, and a new 4 speed close ratio gearbox.
The new Chrysler is already in production. Two of the 4 speed Chargers known as the E39 series will be racing at Oran Park today in the models competition debut.
The latest Falcon GTHO and the new Torana V8 have yet to go into production.
In fact no details have been released officially, for the cars are still under company security wraps.
All three cars owe their existence to a modern phenomenon in the cars sales world, the immense prestige of a win at Bathurst.
The 500 mile race is for standard production saloons. There is no other race like it in the world. And it has now bred three cars unlike any others produced anywhere, family cars that have been developed into sporting saloons with the performance of a Ferrari or Lamborghini.
Under the rules of the Hardie Ferodo 500, at least 200 basically identical units must be sold in Australia before a locally made car can qualify for the race.
Therein lies the problem.
“I don’t mind expert racing drivers handling such machines on enclosed racing circuits,” Mr Morris told me.”But the thought that ordinary motorist of varying degrees of skill will be able to purchase these bullets on wheels and drive them on public roads is alarming.”
“I am horrified at the prospect of young and inexperienced drivers getting behind the wheel of such machines”.
“This is specially the case when the cars reach the second hand market And their braking and suspension systems have deteriorated.”

“Safest on the road”
“If manufacturer’s are making these super cars available to the general public, because this is a condition of eligibility for the Bathurst 500, then I think it is imperative that the organizers closely examine their rules.”
While the new cars appear certain to draw salvoes of criticism because of there ultra high top speeds, they are soundly engineered cars with a strong emphasis on safety features.
They will introduce new standards of handling and control among the ranks of locally made high performance cars.
The Torana will use the five litre plus Holden 308 V8 engine. This engine, is one litre bigger than the motor fitted to a Jaguar XJ6, develops 240 bhp in standard trim.
Weight of the V8 Torana is believed to be only 65 lb greater than the 6 cylinder xu1, although power has received a 50% boost. The engine has been fitted further back in the body shell, and handling is reputed to be superior to that of the xu1.
The car has a close ratio gearbox (with 120mph possible in third) and wide alloy wheels. The Torana V8 heralds a “boots and all” approach by GMH to end the recent domination of the Bathurst race by Ford.
It is believed that GMH may use the new car to spearhead an intense export campaign. After Bathurst the Torana V8 could compete in races and rallies in Asia, Africa and even Europe.
Harry Firth, who managers the Holden Dealer Team is deeply involved in the development of the machine, would give no details of the car or it’s program when questioned during the week.
“All I can say is that it will be the best handling, safest car on the road.” He said.
The new Falcon is a refinement of the GTHO models that have won the past two Bathurst 500 mile races.
Easier Driving.
The engine, infact, maybe slightly less powerful because the compression ratio has been dropped on the 351(5.7 litre) V8.
This, however, will give the motor a broader power band, and make it easier to drive. The car will be faster because the XA Falcon body is better streamlined than the previous model. A wider track and longer wheelbase also give it a natural advantage in road holding.
15 inch alloy wheels overcome two major problems with GTHO Falcons , the allow the fitment of wider, low profile racing tyres and give much improved brake ventilation.
Old 28-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was a sensible thing to do.
Number one was tyres were shocking in them days and number two most mechanics were to stupid to even put better brake pads on a fast car as most were dumb as that if you wanted to fit high performance pads they would go into a fit and refuse to fit them because of dumb people comeing back winging that their disc were wearing out to fast.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #19
Sprint XR8

Wheels September 1972

Old 28-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The silly thing was that the transport minister was expecting the big 3 to come and talk to him about it, and he would have let them continue if they had explained what they were doing, but the big 3 cracked it and killed them as soon as they heard threats about the cancelling of government fleet sales. It was a hollow threat.

But they were losing money on these programs anyway, so they were probably using it as a get out clause. HO's were rumoured to cost more to build than they sold for, but they wore the costs for the publicity involved in winning Bathurst.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

This is all quite fascinating to an American. We embrace the spirit that would enable your engineers to design and produce such cars, but we loathe the governmental disdain.

Over here we would find the condemnation of individual politicians laughable. They don't even bother to do such things here. Here it requires a congressional committee or the entire insurance industry to get such results. (But yes, the end result is the same. It's just a different process.)
Old 28-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I have read somewhere that the insurance companies tried to price the HO out of the market as the original term HO was to mean High Output and they sought a premium to cover them.
As a result of this the meaning of the letters HO were downgraded to Handling Option, or so the story goes.

After reading some of the articles in this thread it could easily be concluded that the Supercar Scare was contrived to put an end to the horsepower battle between the three.
The question would be, who had the most to lose from allowing the next generation to come to fruition...

Holden was to release a 5.0l Torana which, although recieving a 50% increase in power over the six, only weighed 60kg more.
Chrysler was to slot a V8 into its 6cyl 1/4 mile rocket.
Ford were to release a detuned 5.8l sedan with better aerodynamics than its predecessor.
Would have made for an interesting race...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

In the end, GM-H got a V8 torrie, Chrysler a V8 charger and Ford had the RPO83...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Didn't cars have flat folding seats back then?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #25
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
while it seems like an injustice when looking at the phase 4 (which seemed a much more refined car than the phase 3), i don't think the factories building race cars was such a good idea. it probably got canned at the right time. it would have been good if the phase 4 went ahead, but the cars seemed to be progressing too quickly

i don't agree with them being too expensive for idiots. while they were probably too expensive for younger kids, money does not buy you brains. they were not that expensive anyway - compared to the price of a house today, they wouldh've been around $200,000. however $5,000 was easier to find then than $200,000 now. buying a house for $13,000 was much easier then, than buying one for $500,000+. not easy at all, but not as difficult
depends on what the average annual wage was back then - $3,000-4,000 ?
tkfd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
In the end, GM-H got a V8 torrie, Chrysler a V8 charger and Ford had the RPO83...
Yeah true, but the rules governing the series production catagory were changed so we'll never know how it would have panned out.

History shows that the P3 is the greatest production racer built in this country, no argument there.
It was also the last, excluding the 1 untested Calypso P4 of course.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And to make the whole situation more laughable ... the NSW Minister for Transport, Milton Morris (CoupeXB post # 17) didn't have a driver's license and was driven around in a 1947 Chev Fleetmaster. Quite beyond the pale having a moron like that making decisions on what people drive.
Just goes to show ... nothing changes.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #28
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfd
depends on what the average annual wage was back then - $3,000-4,000 ?
it seems houses were much more affordable then. i know they were much more affordable 11 years ago
sure, a phase 3 was very expensive, but i don't think $200,000 is an accurate reflection in todays currency
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #29
Blue Blooded

Don't shoot me down as I'm a massive fan of the XY's, but you have to wonder if it would have become the cult hero it is without the supercar scare, with the manufacturers due to bring out bigger and better cars (in theory). I think that that one of the reasons it's so popular is that it's the last of the era
Just sayin

FG GT Black 6spM
XY Falcon Project (on the backburner for the moment)
BFII XR6 Turbo 6spA
BA XR6 5spM
AUII XR8 5spM
BMW 318is 5spM
XC Falcon 250
XD Falcon 250 Xflow
76 Mitsubishi Galant Wagon (this car would not die, believe me I tried)
TE Cortina 200ci Xflow
XY Falcon 378 Clevo Stroker 4sp Top Loader
Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just think, it was`nt all that long before the XYGT we had the first ozzy falcon GT with the 289 mustang v8 that was good for 125 mph !,
i had a shed load of magazines back in those days, on one very early mag cover it had a pic of a falcon with 289 on the front cover, they made statements like "how could anything be faster than this!" the XR did a 1/4 in 15.8/16 secs, the 2 barrel cruisomatic in about 17 odd ,
it was`nt all that long before the XR that the EH holden with a 179 ci six and 3 on the tree was considered rapid, good for a 1/4 of about 18 seconds, they did about100/ 105 mph or 110 with extractors (frightening speed in the EH).

so in a space of 1964 to 1971 we`ve got the eh holden 100 mph ish to Monaros and Falcons doing 135 /140+ mph easily, so we where getting a fair bit of speed and power a lot faster than braking performance to slow us down, also probably a lot faster than qaulity roads being built also..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post