Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #121
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: Help please: What’s wrong getting a BA over an AU?

Has this been posted?

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=2&sdmvc=1
Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #122
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

That's the one I put up

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #123
zx10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Like the look of this one but not the price.
What do you guys think.
UK
Very nice, great choice. I am biased obviously. Mine was more than that, but it is manual, has leather and less ks. So I think if you get it for your price range its a good buy. Thats if its neat and tidy in person.

Good luck with the search.

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #124
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Another one ot contact and its close to me. Horrible photos
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #125
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Hey Ken , is Dee Why anywhere near you?

1 owner XR6 118k

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #126
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yes seen this one. I'm going nuts however. I'm getting suck on leather seast and wether its a deal breaker or not. Sen soem nice cars but always wrong State and wrong price ( Grey XR6/8, leather low ks)
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #127
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

Leather shouldn't be a deal breaker Ken. You can pick up the interior reasonably cheaply these days

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #128
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reklaw007 View Post
Interesting that this got not bids and didn't sell
UK
Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #129
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

This is a rough summary of the title thread What’s wrong getting a BA over an AU? Just everyone’s response to date in rough posting order:
· BA’s less driver feel, poxy interior, brake shudder, every man and his dog ha s one...
· BA’s Brake shudder is easily resolved with some aftermarket rotors. If you want the positives of owning a B series, throw this thread up in the B series general discussion area. Like any model they have their flaws. I went from A-B series and am very happy with my purchase.
· BA’s have a clunky rear end
· AU - outside looks if not XR looks terrible
* inside is one of disgust
* Not as much power

· BA - as has been said - brakes ) which can be easily fixed)
* ball joints diff bushes.

· Heavy steering in the BA, used to **** me to tears.
* The fly by wire throttle annoyed me too.

· AU low series dash is pretty average, high series is where it's at. B's are just....boring. Too much same same across the whole lot. XT, XR, - where's your difference?
· BA: don't like the electronic accelerator... occasionally taking off is jerky if you're not careful. It's less predictable.
· BA: interior quality, just isn't as good as the AU in my opinion. The AU isn't great, but it's better than the BA.
· BA has more tech in it i.e. the ICC etc - all good in theory but costs more to fix should something go wrong.
· skip BA and go to BF - again more tech, but more refined, better inclusions and still very cheap for what you get. BF's just seem to be a better built car IMHO.
· BA: bursting brake hoses apparently quite a common problem. most cab owners kept a full set of hoses on the shelf .
· BA: one is the spring return on the ignition , the spring goes and the key won't return.
Ford made the ignition switch a sealed item in the steering column . so you can't replace the switch you have to replace the steering column
· BA: drivers seats are far more fragile the mountings crack on the base especially if your of larger proportions like me
· For BA: I don't see why people bring up the fly by wire so much. Going from an EL, to the current BA, I really don't see what the fuss is about.
· AU is embarrassingly slow (I get smashed by hairdresser cars every day) , unrefined and inefficient in comparison.
· BA/F whilst not current, more resembles a car made for this century as far as refinement and handling are concerned.
· The Barra engine is much sweeter than the wheezy lump in the AU
· Its much much harder to find a good AU these days.
· B series are a much heavier car.
· BA/BF disadvantages:
Fly by wire throttle (damn infuriating to me, and a deal breaker)
Heavier
Hard Plastics interior
Unnecessarily heavy steering
IRS
XT/Futura look very, very plain and rather dated

· BA advantages:
More accepted looks, especially interior
Nice looking cars in XR/BFII/Ghia guise
Far more refined ride and seating
ICC is cool
· I do like the look of the b series much better, interior as well, but the Au for me has some things going for it, no throttle by wire for one thing, the Au is a bit simpler which i like, handles like its on rails, and it is a tuff old thing.
· The B series is a good car IMO, however there are a couple of things which I don't like about them.
· The B series is a good car IMO, however there are a couple of things which I don't like about them.
The
ICC is a complete and utter tragedy.
The interior is cheap looking.
Fly by wire is terrible.
The styling is bland and hasn't aged well at all.

· The BA drive is decent enough, very quiet, (too) refined, and plenty of go from the whole range.
Handling is pretty decent too, but not so great from the V8's.

· By comparison to the B series, the climate control section is so much better and easier to use. Some don't like the egg and dash of the AU, but I think it's superb.
· AU: I prefer the standard climate control to the fancier electric one of the Fairmonts.
Lovely interior overall.
The throttle response of all AU's is fantastic.

· The drive of all AU's is excellent, quiet, refined enough to still have some mongrel, and enough go from most of them (but not quite as much as every sister B series).
· Handling is exceptional for such a large car, which IMO is due to the still not so heavy mass of more modern cars.
Reliability is also exceptional, ask any taxi driver.
I have also had a great run from all my AU's

UK
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #130
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Hey Ken , is Dee Why anywhere near you?

1 owner XR6 118k
That's such good value for low k's.

I'm tempted to grab it myself, would make a great daily.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #131
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

My opinion on leather: If you want leather, don't put a premium on AU Ghia leather, it really is rather ordinary if you ask me. I haven't sampled sportsman/ltd leather, but I imagine it is worth seeking.

Also perhaps I just hate getting in to a hot car in summer and bad memories of vinyl seats in dungers of the past. For me Futura/Fairmont velour is the best material to work with day to day.

As i've said too many times to list, to me the AUIII Futura/Fairmont egas (or factory dual fuel) auto six is the best expense/luxury mix available in the AU range. Maybe an de-winged AU3 XR6 HP with a T2 front would be good also, but not available off the shelf.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #132
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
de-winged AU3 XR6 HP .
Wash your mouth out with soap. An AU needs a wing it fix the soft, rounded rear end. the rear looks ugly without a wing but the wing gives it the lift it needs

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #133
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
Wash your mouth out with soap. An AU needs a wing it fix the soft, rounded rear end. the rear looks ugly without a wing but the wing gives it the lift it needs

I don't mind no wing BUT I do like the :
* bobtail
* standard single wing sright across
* single wing tripod
Don't like the 2 layer rear wings.
I have a slop in the driveway and need a wing to see the end of the car (or get a reverse camera)
UK
Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #134
Sox
RIP...

Quote:

I don't mind no wing BUT I do like the :
* bobtail
* standard single wing sright across
* single wing tripod
Don't like the 2 layer rear wings.
I have a slop in the driveway and need a wing to see the end of the car (or get a reverse camera)
UK
Strange place to do a slop mate...
Old 11-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #135
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Strange place to do a slop mate...
and its step to. LOL
Old 11-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #136
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
and its step to. LOL
Just in case I typed slop instead of slope and step instead of steep.
Been looking and thinking this weekend and at the moment I'm looking at XR6/8's as first choice haveing looked at hte comments posted by forum members
UK
Old 11-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #137
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
and its step to. LOL
Just in case I typed slop instead of slope and step instead of steep.
Been looking and thinking this weekend and at the moment I'm looking at XR6/8's as first choice haveing looked at hte comments posted by forum members. In the meaning time I'm driving (sorry borrowing) my sons AU

UK
Old 11-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #138
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is that a genuine C2R or a mock up?

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 11-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #139
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
is that a genuine C2R or a mock up?
See the builf thread by JC mock up, painted by JC.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #140
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Defiantly looks the part
Quote:
See the builf thread by JC mock up, painted by JC.

Rides:

Old 14-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #141
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Defiantly looks the part
Genuine grille, 'glass bar.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #142
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Sorry JC
JC coming back to the AU section? I'm not posting 2 many cars I'm looking at in case you are buying
UK
Old 16-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #143
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Looking at a 2002 Series 3 Ford Falcon XR8 220 with Tickford options tomorrow in my price range.
No one is allowed to buy an XR Sat in NSW!!! Fingers crossed.

UK
3 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2013, 10:11 PM   #144
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good luck UK pics ASAP

Rides:

Old 17-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #145
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

1 more sleep. Pick up tomorrow, looks like I'm back in the AU forums
The new car..(of the gumtree ad)

and

and

and

and

More details to come later..
Uk
5 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #146
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

niiiiice!

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #147
Sox
RIP...

Lovely machine.

Is it a stick or slushy?
Old 17-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #148
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Lovely machine.

Is it a stick or slushy?
I'm gonna deduce it's an auto given the big 'P' on the cluster

2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #149
Uncle_Ken
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
I'm gonna deduce it's an auto given the big 'P' on the cluster

Smart lad go to the top of the class. Yes its an auto as I'll be driving in the burbs in peak hour, no gears changes for me.

UK
Old 17-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #150
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice buy! I have always had a soft spot for the AU3 XR8 and yours looks like it has been well looked after and has plenty of life left in it.

I still can't believe that this one posted on the first page by au3xr6 has not yet sold! http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111141629...84.m1423.l2649

Im tempted to get myself to Orange! LOL
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post