Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default last Falcon ute

Seen on rare spares facebook page that the last Falcon ute was built on the 14th
https://www.facebook.com/rarespares/...type=3&theater

Its getting real now and only about 10 weeks left until it all over.
Old 27-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: last Falcon ute

Thx for that!(is it possible we might see some more pics of this vehicle?)

Last edited by hackney; 27-07-2016 at 08:22 AM.
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #3
wozman

RIP falcan ute will be missed
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Attachment 93437::(:(

Last edited by hackney; 31-08-2016 at 12:08 PM.
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

My ute is in this last small batch. They stopped ute production earlier in the year. They then notified me in March that they would build another limited batch in June for those who ordered late 2015, my order was early December. Production has been put back twice but my dealer phoned me last week to say it was being built.

XR6 Turbo with Luxury Pack and a host of other options in Kinetic. Delivery in mid August.

Sad day indeed, I am just thankful I managed to score one. this will be my fourth XR6 ute built for me. I had an AU II, BA and FG. I will have to get another car to keep the mileage down on this one.

Steven B
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #6
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME View Post
My ute is in this last small batch. They stopped ute production earlier in the year. They then notified me in March that they would build another limited batch in June for those who ordered late 2015, my order was early December. Production has been put back twice but my dealer phoned me last week to say it was being built.

XR6 Turbo with Luxury Pack and a host of other options in Kinetic. Delivery in mid August.

Sad day indeed, I am just thankful I managed to score one. this will be my fourth XR6 ute built for me. I had an AU II, BA and FG. I will have to get another car to keep the mileage down on this one.

Steven B
Kinetic blue has to be one of the "Iconic" colours of the range.Just sold my MK11 XR6 Ecolpi ute in same colour.Enjoy!!
Old 27-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

End of an era, always had a soft spot for Falcon Ute's, but have never owned one till recently when I bought my XB GS Ute.

I think ute's will be the next big thing in Falcon classic vehicles, as most were used and abused by farmers and tradies and a good ute is hard to find in good condition.

To celebrate this sad event here is the obligatory photo of my classic XB GS 351 4 Speed Falcon utility vehicle

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I'm glad someone started a a thread about this, certainly deserves one. I saw the same Rare Spares Post on FB and if there was no thread I would have started one.

Very sad indeed, the beginning of the end for FoA.

V8 and Turbo utes will be very sought after into the future i believe.

A Tickford Powered V8 ute is among the finest Ford made.

My Tickford powered XE ute soon to be turboed will also be a keeper.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Seen on rare spares facebook page that the last Falcon ute was built on the 14th
https://www.facebook.com/rarespares/...type=3&theater

Its getting real now and only about 10 weeks left until it all over.
The comments on that page scare me.
Blaming the workers for getting paid too much.

I really feel for these guys losing their jobs.

It's getting real now...Long live the Falcon!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Yep, very sad for me to read this. My first car was an XD ute, I've had only utes except for my XE wagon, a couple of ED XRs and some RX7s. I never imagined Australia losing such an iconic vehicle, let alone the whole Australian factory...

Ed :(
Old 27-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #11
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

I am saddened of the fact that we can soon no longer buy some Aussie made cars. We are a country of idiots, making other countries richer thinking all the best cars come from overseas. It makes me cringe and feel embarrassed when our own PM pulls up in a foreign car. Shame on us!! Soon we will be a country of customers instead of manufacturers, not making anything of our own.........then how are we going to afford things then?
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #12
Dezza
Parts bin special

I saw the pics on the Rare Spares page and it is sad to see. After buying my first ute at the start of the year, it is a bitter pill to swallow seeing the demise of such an iconic vehicle. Such a versatile vehicle, yet it feels like a sedan to drive. I'm extremely proud of my Australian built ute. I don't have a single regret for buying it.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #13
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

It's a hoax lol

http://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/...nternet-uproar

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #14
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know I've banged on about this before but I really feel strongly about this. Of course I get the economics of the whole situation, but having invented the ute, it has got me stuffed as to why they have not done some form of final edition for it. This is a segment they created, and stayed more faithful to the original concept than anyone else has.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 12:31 AM   #15
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
If only Ford closing down in October was a hoax too.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #16
Sioso
irregular member

Pity they couldn't accidentally drop a Sprint 6 or 8 motor in there.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #17
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
Quoting Dave Moy as a Ford fan is rich.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #18
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man that sucks. Best ute on the planet is dead.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #19
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its off the rare spares facebook page. Some workers may be getting an early finish up without a payout....photos inside the plant are a no go.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Indeed no photos allowed.
Looks like the FB page is down now
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #21
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Its off the rare spares facebook page. Some workers may be getting an early finish up without a payout....photos inside the plant are a no go.
Yes, I'm sure there are no annoyed or cut employees working in the plant thinking hell I better not take pics for fear of loosing my job
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #22
Mad_Pom

Default Last Falcon Ute Built today

http://www.news.com.au/finance/busin...2a54f49e4bc758

THE homegrown Ford Falcon ute has reached the end of the line, marking the end of an era.
The company that invented the ute — and then introduced it to the rest of the world in 1934 — has built the last example of its type in Australia.
It is the first historic step in Ford’s factory shutdown process in the lead-up to the car assembly line’s last day of operation on October 7.
The last ever Ford Falcon ute rolled off the Broadmeadows production line near the end of shift about 3pm on Friday — following in the tyre tracks of the original Falcon ute built in the same facility 55 years ago, in February 1961.
The original XK Ford Falcon ute series, released in 1961. Picture: Supplied
The original XK Ford Falcon ute series, released in 1961. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied
The Ford Falcon sedan and Territory SUV will continue to be built at Broadmeadows until the final day of production. The final examples of all three vehicles will be kept by Ford as museum pieces.All three vehicles will be kept by Ford as museum pieces.
Ford excluded media from capturing the last ute’s historic moment because it wanted production line workers to commemorate the occasion in private.
“We have mixed emotions today because we realise how deeply Ford’s utes are embedded in Australian culture,” said Ford Australia boss Graeme Whickman.
“We thank our loyal customers and the Ford team, with a special thanks to our manufacturing employees, for making the Falcon ute a local legend and one of the longest-running vehicles in the world.”
The final example is the 467,690th Ford Falcon ute built in Australia since February 1961 across two sites: Broadmeadows on the northern outskirts of Melbourne and Eagle Farm northeast of Brisbane.

Ford stopped building the Falcon ute in Eagle Farm in April 1978 but the workhorse has been built in Broadmeadows continuously over seven model generations for 55 years.
Ford created the concept of a ute after receiving a letter from a Victorian farmer’s wife in 1933 requesting a vehicle civilised enough to drive to church on Sundays and practical enough to take pigs to market on Mondays.
The last of the line: the FG-X Falcon ute. Picture: Supplied
The last of the line: the FG-X Falcon ute. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied
Ford released its first utility in 1934. The idea was quickly adopted by its parent company in North America, and helped establish the template for the modern pick-up.
Along the way the Ford Falcon ute was created and its design was finessed over the decades.
Since the first ute there has always been demand for vehicles that can mix work and leisure.
However, homegrown models such as the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore utes have died a slow death because most buyers have switched to Toyota HiLux-style pick-ups that have four doors, are better for towing and come with off-road capability.
A sign of the times, Ford has sold fewer than 1400 Falcon utes so far this year compared to 18,000 heavy duty Toyota HiLux-style Ford Ranger utes.
The BA series Falcon ute from 2002, one of the most successful models. Picture: Supplied
The BA series Falcon ute from 2002, one of the most successful models. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Corp Australia
While the last Falcon ute will mark the beginning of the end for many production line workers, Ford last week confirmed up to 160 of its 800 manufacturing employees will be redeployed to its engineering division.
Ford will become Australia’s largest automotive employer once Holden and Toyota shut their car assembly lines in late 2017.
But rather than building cars locally, a team of more than 1100 designers and engineers will develop global vehicles for Ford.
In a bitter twist, they will work on the next generation of vehicles such as the Ford Ranger ute — designed and engineered locally but made in Thailand where manufacturing labour costs are one-fifth the rate in Australia.
An advertisement for the Ford Falcon ute, from 1961. Picture: Supplied.
An advertisement for the Ford Falcon ute, from 1961. Picture: Supplied.Source:Supplied
Ford Falcon utes: then and now
The original Ford Falcon XK utility was built in February 1961 and arrived in showrooms in May 1961 for approximately $2200. A brand-new 2016 Ford Falcon FG-X ute now costs about $35,000.
The term “power” had a different definition in 1961. The original Falcon ute’s 2.4-litre six-cylinder engine had the equivalent of 64kW of grunt. Today, a Suzuki Swift hatchback has more power. The latest Falcon ute’s 4.0-litre six-cylinder engine has 195kW. Not long ago these sorts of numbers were exclusive to V8s.
Timeline: Ford Falcon ute
The Lewis Brandt-designed 1934 Ford coupe utility. Picture: Supplied
The Lewis Brandt-designed 1934 Ford coupe utility. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied
1933:
A Victorian farmer’s wife writes to Ford Australia boss Hubert French: “My husband and I can’t afford a car and a truck but we need a car to go to church on Sunday and a truck to take the pigs to market on Monday. Can you help?” The Ford boss gave the letter to 23-year-old engineer Lewis Bandt, who came up with the idea of fitting a truck-like pick-up rear end to the Ford coupe at the time. He completed the original design in October 1933 and work commenced on testing. It was unveiled at the Brisbane motor show in February 1934 and went on sale soon after.
A Ford Falcon ute ad from 1961. Picture: Supplied
A Ford Falcon ute ad from 1961. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied
1961:
Ford starts production of the Falcon ute, based on the sedan released in 1960. A panel van version was also derived from the Falcon ute. Both went on sale in May 1961. The Falcon ute was built at both the Broadmeadows and Eagle Farm factories and 32,695 were made from February 1961 to August 1966 across the XK, XL, XM and XP models.
The XR Ford Falcon ute series, released in 1966. Picture: Supplied
The XR Ford Falcon ute series, released in 1966. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied
1966:
The second generation Falcon ute — which would carry the XR, XT, XW and XY model designations — goes into production in September 1966 and 48,027 would be built until October 1972. In November 1972 Ford built a four-wheel-drive version of the Falcon based on the XY ute, decades ahead of its time, as most utes sold today are 4WD.
The 1972 Ford Falcon 4WD ute based on the XY series. Picture: Supplied
The 1972 Ford Falcon 4WD ute based on the XY series. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied
1972:
In June 1972 the third generation Falcon ute goes into production; 48,144 would be built across the XA, XB and XC models.
1978:
In April 1978 the last Falcon ute is built at Eagle Farm as Ford shifted all ute production to Broadmeadows.
The XD Ford Falcon ute series, released in 1979. Picture: Supplied
The XD Ford Falcon ute series, released in 1979. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied
1979:
In May 1979 the fourth generation Falcon ute goes into production starting with the iconic Falcon XD ute. It looks boxy today but it was considered a daring and futuristic design at the time. In the end, 84,802 were made across the XD, XE, XF models until March 1993.
1988:
Under pressure from the Federal Government, Australia’s car makers are forced to collaborate to save money and become more viable. Toyota paired with Holden and Nissan paired with Ford. One of the products of this unusual marriage was the Nissan ute based on the Ford Falcon XF at the time. The only thing Nissan about it was the badge, as it was made on Ford’s Broadmeadows production line. Another unusual anomaly: Nissan offered a longer warranty than Ford at the time, even though it was not Nissan’s product. Just 1951 were made with Nissan badges from 1988 to 1991.
The Longreach grafted an EA Falcon-inspired nose on the XF ute. Picture: Supplied
The Longreach grafted an EA Falcon-inspired nose on the XF ute. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Limited
1992:
The fifth generation Falcon ute goes into production in December 1992 and is released in April 1993 as the Falcon Longreach. It was an appropriate name as it was effectively a revised version of the old model, sold alongside the newer generation Falcon sedan. In the end, 45,533 were made across the XG and XH models until May 1999.
The V8 returned to the Ford Falcon ute in 1997. Picture: Supplied
The V8 returned to the Ford Falcon ute in 1997. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Corp Australia
1997:
In October 1997 the V8 returns to the Falcon ute after a 15-year absence when a limited number of V8s were built ahead of the next generation due in 2000.
Splitting the ute and cabin bodies gave the Falcon more alternatives and more buyers. Picture: Supplied
Splitting the ute and cabin bodies gave the Falcon more alternatives and more buyers. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Corp Australia
2000:
The sixth generation Falcon ute goes into production in February 2000 based on the controversially-styled AU model. Unlike the Falcon’s previous single body ute designs, the AU separated the ute tub from the cabin to enable tradies to add their own toolboxes and trays. It was a stroke of genius designed to thwart the emergence of Toyota HiLux-style utes, which were gaining momentum. It was a recipe for success, with 155,752 made until April 2008 across the AU, BA and BF models.
The Ford Falcon RTV ute was designed to appeal to Toyota HiLux customers and those who needed modest off-road ability. Picture: Supplied
The Ford Falcon RTV ute was designed to appeal to Toyota HiLux customers and those who needed modest off-road ability. Picture: SuppliedSource:News Corp Australia
2003:
Ford makes another attempt to thwart Toyota HiLux-style pick-ups with a high-riding version of the Falcon ute. It looked like a 4WD but was still only 2WD. Nevertheless, fitted with tougher suspension and tyres, it was capable on rugged tracks. Police dog squads loved them because they had the safety features of a passenger car body and enough off-road ability to suit most needs. But the RTV was axed in April 2008 and not renewed for the next generation because the market had shifted to imported utes for those who needed to cross rugged terrain.
Beginning of the end: the FG Falcon ute, released in 2008. Picture: Supplied
Beginning of the end: the FG Falcon ute, released in 2008. Picture: SuppliedSource:Supplied
2008:
The seventh generation Falcon ute went into production in February 2008 (ahead of its release in May 2008). It was a restyled version of the previous generation Falcon ute, with more modern looks. But imported utes had already begun to get a foothold. In the end, 52,737 would be built until July 2016 across the FG and FG-X models.
The Falcon ute had a sales resurgence before the Thailand trade deal. Picture: Supplied.
The Falcon ute had a sales resurgence before the Thailand trade deal. Picture: Supplied.Source:News Limited
How the Aussie ute died
Sales of locally-made cars and utes have been in free fall since Australia signed a free-trade agreement with Thailand.
In 2004, one year before the trade deal with Thailand — the biggest producer of pick-ups in the Asia-Pacific region — Ford and Holden sold more than 40,000 Australian-made utes between them.
In 2015, just 2600 Ford Falcon utes and 4900 Holden Commodore utes were sold. The decline has continued into 2016.
In 2006, just one year after the Free Trade Agreement with Thailand, the Toyota HiLux overtook sales of Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon utes.
Imports of cars and utes from Thailand have almost tripled since the Free Trade Agreement was signed (from 84,000 in 2005, to 250,000 in 2015).
In return, Australia has exported just 100 Ford Territory SUVs to Thailand, in 2012.
The Toyota HiLux has been Australia’s favourite heavy-duty workhorse for more than three decades, the number one 4WD nationally for 11 years, and the best selling vehicle outright for the past seven years in Queensland, West Australia and the Northern Territory.
The Toyota HiLux has been in the Top Three sellers outright nationally for the past four years in a row.
The Ford Ranger has outsold the Toyota HiLux on three occasions over the past seven months, and has been Ford Australia’s top selling model since February 2014.
Utes are now the third biggest vehicle category behind small cars and SUVs.
Rise and fall of the Falcon ute sales over the past 20 years
1996: 8094
1997: 7311
1998: 6769
1999: 10,493
2000: 13,698
2001: 16,955
2002: 17,883
2003: 20,212
2004: 20,123
2005: 18,384
2006: 15,858
2007: 13,758
2008: 12,600
2009: 12,180
2010: 9099
2011: 6814
2012: 5733
2013: 4679
2014: 2785
2015: 2654
The Ford Ranger (left) and Toyota HiLux (right) now dominate ute sales. Picture: Supplied.
The Ford Ranger (left) and Toyota HiLux (right) now dominate ute sales. Picture: Supplied.Source:Supplied
Top 10 ute sales in 2016
Toyota HiLux: 21,171
Ford Ranger: 18,199
Mitsubishi Triton: 12,426
Holden Colorado: 9374
Nissan Navara: 8761
Isuzu D-Max: 8062
Mazda BT-50: 7738
Volkswagen Amarok: 4869
Holden Commodore ute: 2674
Ford Falcon ute: 1375
Source: Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries, Jan-Jun. 2016.
This reporter is on Twitter: @JoshuaDowling
Old 29-07-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Last Falcon Ute Built today

What's done is done. But why they never chucked in the diesel is beyond me. No one buys petrol light commercials
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #24
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Another media article just published about it here with lots of photos:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business...2a54f49e4bc758
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 07:01 PM   #25
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While I have never had a need for a ute, I think the ute dying is worse than the sedan.

I could never get into these 'trucks' that the Hilux and the like have evolved into. Most of the time they never seem to have any passengers or anything in the tray but I guess because it is more flexible is why they have become more and more popular.

You can throw **** in the back of the Falcon and Commodore ute and still have something that looks good and goes good.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
....photos inside the plant are a no go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Indeed no photos allowed.
Except the ones taken by the workers in the article
Old 29-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #27
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sad, not looking foward to seeing the final falcon
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #28
Peterwl

Looking at those sales figures from 2002 to 2005, why do Car Manufactures go away from successful models ??

Is it to make them cheaper ( greed ) ?

Is it just poor management decisions ?

I cannot think of a manufacturer that has gone "back" and reproduced a successful previous model. It cannot be cost as they have already paid for all the tooling and development.

The only reason I can think of is to keep their RD busy and maybe competition.

I was not into Fords at that time but I must now admit, the Falcon Utes of that period look good. Better than the current one.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #29
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterwl View Post
Looking at those sales figures from 2002 to 2005, why do Car Manufactures go away from successful models ??

Is it to make them cheaper ( greed ) ?

Is it just poor management decisions ?

I cannot think of a manufacturer that has gone "back" and reproduced a successful previous model. It cannot be cost as they have already paid for all the tooling and development.

The only reason I can think of is to keep their RD busy and maybe competition.

I was not into Fords at that time but I must now admit, the Falcon Utes of that period look good. Better than the current one.
Read the article. The trade deal with Thailand started in 2005. Our leaders sold our aarrssee. But I guess the reciprocal deal was OK because we sold 100 Territories over there
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 09:24 PM   #30
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had a few falcon utes and now own a xr6 turbo fgx ute. Bloody fantastic car. The reason things started to head south fast from 2005 are fuel prices and the release of the ve commodore a year later. In2005 fuel was about 95c a litre for unleaded. By 2008 it hit $1.70 a litre. That is why the falcon died and the fact cars like the Kia rio and others could be bought for $13990 with five year warranty. Cheap small cars and expensive fuel killed the falcon. Sorry also salary sacfricing (leasing) killed the falcon as well. Before this time fleet managers would buy thousands of falcons and give them to workers as company cars. When tax laws changed workers could buy whatever car they wanted and claimed that through their work tax situations. The individual worker could now buy what ever car they wanted through there own salary sacrificing. These are the real reasons the falcon died.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: