Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 31-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
SDKC
To punish and enslave

Default School Days

On 24 Jan, the Governor in Council made the Road Safety (Road Rules) (School Days) Regulations 2007. These Regulations enable VicRoads, by a notice in the Government Gazette, to declare "school days periods" during which traffic signs that are limited to "school days" will operate.

Here is a link to the Gazette.

http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/Gazett...GG2007S012.pdf

The way I read it, no longer is there time limits to 40km/h zones. If the day falls within the table, the whole day is a 40km/h zone.

Just something to be weary of.

SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKC
The way I read it, no longer is there time limits to 40km/h zones. If the day falls within the table, the whole day is a 40km/h zone.
So at 11.30pm you will still have to do 40km/h as you might run over a little kid coming home from School.................... what a load of sh!t

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Nice of the government to go out of its way to let the public know... Imagen how many people could potentialy be booked, due to not knowing of this...

Being a P plater, I could theortically loose my licence in one go, doing the normal speed limit (My street has a school on it, and its usually 50km/hr on the whole street)

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Thats crap... Oh well hope NSW government don't do it....

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:17 PM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Nice of the government to go out of its way to let the public know... Imagen how many people could potentialy be booked, due to not knowing of this...

Being a P plater, I could theortically loose my licence in one go, doing the normal speed limit (My street has a school on it, and its usually 50km/hr on the whole street)
arnt 50 zones with schools in them automattically 40 all the time?
only 60zones and upwards had the time periods on them.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Allen

Nope, my street is 50k's all the way around, except for where the school is, where it has the 40k's during certian school hours... any other time that area is 50k's.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 31-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for the heads up! now i know
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #8
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Maybe too many people used the, "I didn't know what time it was" line at court.

Now theres no more excuses.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

The whole 40kph thing is a big load of BS.

It doesn't save lives!
I makes the public think the government is doing something right!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Simmo
White Lightning

this sounds pretty lame for you guys. a friend has gone to court to fight a fine he got in a 40 zone. its a normal 'between 2-4pm = 40kmh' signed zone, but the school its around lets their students out at 1pm on a thursday. so he's complaining about getting booked at 3:54pm.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
frost
Banned

So that would be on the western highway at 6pm at night during peak hour traffic, everyone would be back to 60km/h at rockbank when its a 90km/h zone
frost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
EDXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I second that

When I was in school I managed not to get run over whats so diffrent with the Youth today?

Why should we all have to suffer getting up earlyer so were not late for work in the morning or reorganizing our traveling times just because some kid's parents neglected to teach theam how to cross a dam road and explain if you get hit by a car or bus its going to hurt.

Comes down to the parents not the goverment but hes the ****er that wants to look like he's fixing the problem which he sure as hell ante.
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Unless the sign states only "school days" and does not have stated times in which the limit is enforced then the times posted are the only times it would apply.

I didn't think there were any signs that only had "school times" without having a specific time also posted on the signs.

The thing I find confusing is that if the school has an event on say a Sunday then the speed limit is also applied, but will it be for the whole day or just the regular times as posted on the signs.

This is why so many cops get it wrong, the ruling itself is so bloody ambiguous that even they wouldn't bne able to interpret it correctly and just fine people because it's how they interpreted the wording, just like SDKC who is a police officer just did. He took it to mean the whole day in any school zone, so does this mean that people may well be getting booked when they shouldn't be and then the judges who also would have no clear understanding would hold the fine to be correct and justified if it went to court.

Besides all that if you were to be fined in an area where it only stated "school times" and had no posted times stated, then you could just as easily argue that "school times" are actually between the hours of 9am and 3:30pm. This would be a reasonable conclusion for any reasonable person to assume and therefore leave the gates open to many fines being disputed and quite possibly being overturned.

It's one thing to have the ruling but yet another to make all drivers aware of any interpretation of said rulings or for that matter any changes to any current road laws and regulations. But I guess it's easier to trap drivers if they don't know they're doing something wrong until it's too late.

I honestly hope that all police officers will be using there discretion in regard to this ruling and not just being revenue raisers and earning brownie points with there superiors.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
webby_191189
low wagooon

Hey im from swan hill and its been like that here for ever. we have to do 40km all day every day even weekends around the schools. its just annoying

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Damn, I was hoping this thread was about the Chuck Berry song that AC/DC covered. :sm_headba

At least look on the bright side, and be happy you only have to slow down to 40km/h. In SA most school zones are still 25km/h.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #16
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

It doesn't save lives!
I makes the public think the government is doing something right!
I agree. I remember when I was at primary school, we were taught to look both ways before crossing the road, and we had fences around the school which we had to stay within. It was all basic enough and nobody got run over. Now we have to go at crawling pace (when I go 40, everyone else speed past anyway) and I rarely see any little kids outside the school

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #17
holmsy
Banned

my mate failed his P's beacause the clock in the car said he was right to do 60 but the person doing the test said he was 2 minutes to early to go 60. it is stupid.

as for the new rule they cant book anyone untill the signs are changed so as long as the sign says there is a time limit dont worry about it.
holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 07:02 PM   #18
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Why keep lowering speed limits? Just make the speed limit 10kphr on all roads all the time and there will be no car related deaths! Cos we'll all be walking!!!

Theres risk involved in everything, the governement are just lowering the risk bit by bit til it's not worth driving anymore! In 2020 it will be 10kphr everywhere and we'll be modifying scooters!!!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:26 AM   #19
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTR
I didn't think there were any signs that only had "school times" without having a specific time also posted on the signs.
You know things just aint right when you have to quote yourself :

Well driving along Maddox Rd today picking up a car in Newport I saw what seemed to be a very clean, new looking yellow sign stating 'SCHOOL TIMES', it was the first sign I passed before getting to the posted times sign.

Could this be, or have I just never noticed this other sign prior to this.

Again though unless they actually have a public campaign alerting road users of the change then you could still argue that school times are between 9am and 3:30pm, simply on the ambiguity of the signage.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:48 AM   #20
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Everyday I drive to work up the same Road past Upwey School where there is a 40klm sign during school times, EVERYDAY idiots speed past me without slowing down

Most of them are WOMEN and WOMEN with Kids..........

Annoys the hell out of me as they have no respect for the LAW!!!!!

RANT OFF

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:52 AM   #21
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

I have witnessed a kid hit by a car after school and it was outside the school zone.

I also work at a school and have noticed that after school finishes, the slow traffic encourages students to cut in front of cars and cross the road.

The whole school zone idea is good in theory but should only be applied to the backstreets that are around schools and not the main roads which should have a push button traffic light crossing.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:58 AM   #22
EL_Fairmont

This is a disgrace, whoever agreed to this amendment/change should be shot.

Why not just make the national speed limit 10... that way we'll use less petrol too.

I have a BRILLIANT IDEA.

All the money (the MILLIONS) that the Government raise in revenue from this little back-handed, wink wink-nudge nudge venture... should go towards EDUCATING SCHOOL CHILDREN, about the dangers of running out onto the road, rather than purchasing new crap and paying for rubbish we don't need.
EL_Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #23
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
For the purposes of the Road Rules, if a traffic control device, such as a speed-limit sign,
has information on or with the sign or device indicating that it applies on “school days”,
then that device applies on any declared school day
How does that translate to reduced limits other than what is posted.

Some School Zones have 40k 24/7 limits already in place. For schools that don't and have a social event on the Sat and Sunday, they can resign the area from whatever to 40.

I don't see what the issue is most of you are complaining about.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #24
Simmo
White Lightning

the issue is that our kids are growing up in a world where instead of using common sense, everyone gets penalised. being politically correct is a badge of honour for some politicos and some of them would have a shirt sleeve like a scout master. every day liberties [no matter how small] are being removed and logic is being replaced by downgrades and litigation.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #25
Allen

Obviously we are not condoning speeding within school zones, but my gripe, is that these laws change without the state government making it known that these changes have taken place...

Recently I have seen new ads on TV about the speed limit in school zones, but I cannot recall anything in these ads about the speed limit being constant 24/7...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #26
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
Obviously we are not condoning speeding within school zones, but my gripe, is that these laws change without the state government making it known that these changes have taken place...

Recently I have seen new ads on TV about the speed limit in school zones, but I cannot recall anything in these ads about the speed limit being constant 24/7...

This 24/7 40k around some school zones has been in for years, what are you referring to?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #27
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
This 24/7 40k around some school zones has been in for years, what are you referring to?
In a previous post, I said that I live on a street with a school... and its 50k's normally except for school hours posted on the signs.

What I dont agree with, is that these ads on TV, dont state that all school zones are now 40km/hr all of the time.

As you said, its only around some schools, and obviously the school near me isn't one of these areas.

I just dont like the ambiguity of the government TV ads, as they dont state that the school zones are all now 40km/hr constantly, as it seems that some are, and others aren't.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #28
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKC
And yet there are still signs that say outside of school hours on a school day the normal speed limit applies.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Old 02-02-2007, 03:03 PM   #29
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I dont mind doing 40km/h during the busy periods, ie. when school starts and finishes, most of the time I'll do 20km/h just because theres cars and people everywhere. What really ****es me off is having to do 40km/h on a back street on a bloody Sunday around a school when theres not even any kids around!
The law should be changed to 40km/h in school zones from 8am - 9:30am and 2:30pm - 4pm on any road. None of this bloody time zones on main roads but quieter roads have to 40 all the time!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #30
gozza

Waggers appear at all times of the day
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post