Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default K&N Fillter

I went down on Friday to get a air fillter for the wifes Focus (03 2L ) and I was to get a K&n one as I like these and have one in my car .But there dosen't seem to be one so the guy told me to bring the old one down to size it up and if so we might find something that fits .
Has anyone else tryed to put one of these in thier car and what one as in size was it .But no I don't want a pod unless it will fit in the box and I rather keep it looking stock fo rmy little lady ,plus it is a 2L Auto and not the car you want a pod hanging off the motor with (just think of the laughs I will get ) .
Any help will be great

WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Aparrently, the Focuses have an Air Flow Meter that detects extra air flow that an K+N Air Pod creates and adjusts fuel mixture accordingly. From what i was told, this means that a focus would consume more fuel even when idiling due to more air coming in and this can cause problems with backfiring etc.
Is this true?
Old 26-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
1lifeliveit
Focus is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Aparrently, the Focuses have an Air Flow Meter that detects extra air flow that an K+N Air Pod creates and adjusts fuel mixture accordingly. From what i was told, this means that a focus would consume more fuel even when idiling due to more air coming in and this can cause problems with backfiring etc.
Is this true?
NOOOOOO way

Ive got one in my focus and it has actually improved the fuel consumption albeit marginally. The car feels like it breathes better now (although it has more to do with the bigger svt snorkle and airbox)

Back firing? - whats that?

3 door, Panther Black, Manual, 17" MP3 Alloys, SVT Airbox with K&N panel filter, SVT Snorkel, Leather Gear Knob and Steel Handbrake Cover, ST170 pedals, ST170 Lower grille, CFM UDP

Not too soon : Focus sport/Borla Exhaust, Throttle body

1lifeliveit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will not post comments that may inflame a situation in future.

Last edited by fordel; 12-03-2007 at 03:35 PM. Reason: I need a lesson
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Is this true?
some parts are incorect....

The car will not increase in fuel consumption. all the K&N does is allow the Air to flow more freely into the engine, which reduces the time it takes to get the air/fuel mix right.

No new cars will NOT backfire unless MAJOR problems arise.

Last edited by photn; 27-02-2007 at 03:15 PM.
photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 03:07 PM   #6
Talldude

ive got a k&n filter on my 03 focus 2l and have had no problems at all.
Talldude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
all the K&N does is allow the Air to flow more freely into the engine, which reduces the time it takes to get the air/fuel mix right.
ROFL no :

Bucket while you are correct that the car will automatically adjust itself for an increase in air flow you are wrong in that the car won't actually be getting much more air flow. Just because because the POD filter can flow 50% more air through itself doesn't mean it will allow 50% more air through.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
ROFL no :

Bucket while you are correct that the car will automatically adjust itself for an increase in air flow you are wrong in that the car won't actually be getting much more air flow. Just because because the POD filter can flow 50% more air through itself doesn't mean it will allow 50% more air through.
*insert reply here*....not worth the effort.

Old 27-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

geez, its just an airfilter :
Old 27-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
I will not post comments that may inflame a situation in future.

Its just what I was told. I dont necessarily believe it.
I was in fact lookin at one for myself and did some investigating...a guy who has a lot of experience modding cars said it could be a problem.

Last edited by fordel; 12-03-2007 at 03:36 PM.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee sorry to start something here as all I wanted to know what K&Ns you are runing on your car if you are .
Cheers WAZ
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

lol...

Just order a BMC panel filter and that should do it.

Old 27-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #13
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

wheres the best place to get BMC Filters???
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2007, 12:13 AM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

K&N Part number 33-2819.

All a K&N will do is maybe improve throttle response, but not really change power. It should also make it cheaper in the long run to not have to replace air filters every service.

The rule of thumb is air in should also equal air out, so if you increase the input, you need to "extract" it better too, thus high flow intakes need a high-flow exhaust to maximise their benefit. As a standalone, I've gone off the filter as I had running-rich issues with my exhaust and filter. I'm back to stock exhaust and filter and couldn't be happier. Neither it seems could the car, running better than ever.

Each to their own.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #15
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I have a BMC panel filter for the LR Focus that only has about 3000km on it. I found it very good (but changed to a Pipercross sysem)

Happy to sell it for half the price of a K&N plus postage to anyone interested
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2007, 02:05 AM   #16
Marshy79

I changed the Airfilter on the XR5 to the K&N panel filter... you wont notice any kick in the pants difference... but you should notice a slightly sharper throttle responce.

It definately would make things cheaper in the long run considering the things are meant to last like 100,000 kays or something.

Slight pain in the rear actually cleaning them tho (mainly cause for some reason its hard to get to the airfilter on mine)... then all that drying time when cleaning then reoiling the thing.

Worth it from a cost point of view.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #17
amlohac

Pods = useless on n/a cars.
K&n is cheaper in the long run as the are re-usable, NO power difference at all, just more go down low. I have one in my focus, and i used to run a pod, and the pannel is 100% better than any pod you can jam into it due to heat soak issues. Unless you run a pippercross like Melb does as it has the heat shield.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #18
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

An air filter allows the engine to breath easier*, and the MAP sensor will sense the additional air, and it will add more fuel so that the mixture is not lean.

*The only time the engine will breath better is at full throttle, or near that any ways, because you'll have the engine sucking a lot of air, and the air filter will have better flow when compared to the standard air filter which is why you hear that mean grunt with an after market air filter, whether its a pod or a drop-in.

It wont increase fuel economy in any way, it'll actually reduce it because you'll enjoy the grunt sound so much, you'll be at full throttle 40% of the time while your driving.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #19
amlohac

point and case
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post