Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #1
PeterKD
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo MA Hatch Lock Repair Rip Off

I wonder if anyone else has had problems with a hatch not opening?

My 2008 TDCI decided that it was not going to let me open the hatch despite having opened it not 5 minutes before. Tried both key remotes and looked in the book but no other way to open it other than remote. Called the RAC who had a go but said it would have to go back to Ford.

Dropped it off on Tuesday for a 60,000 kms service and asked them to fix it. $461 later and a scuffed up area on the plastic around the locking mechanism it was sorted. What a bloody rip off!!

Has anyone else had this issue? I'm not sure why the actutor or boot release switch as they called it, should fail in a car less than 4 years old and with a hatch that is used maybe a couple of times a week.

PeterKD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mondeo MA Hatch Lock Repair Rip Off

Depends how the solenoid fails! if it requires power to open then if the coil goes open circuit it will remain in the shut position this is the preferred security method because if you disconnect the battery it stays shut if someone wants to get in just a thought

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
PeterKD
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Depends how the solenoid fails! if it requires power to open then if the coil goes open circuit it will remain in the shut position this is the preferred security method because if you disconnect the battery it stays shut if someone wants to get in just a thought

apstar
I hear where you are coming from Apstar but no other way to open without obviously forcing from the inside...
Old 12-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wagon tailgate release failed 6 months before the warranty expired. Only took them 2 hours to repair so mine obviously wasn't the first they'd fixed, and the new lock looked different.

Ford should pay for it as I expect it's caused by a defective lock unit. I wonder if there was ever a TSB?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKD
I hear where you are coming from Apstar but no other way to open without obviously forcing from the inside...
True ......... if it fails open then you will have the problem of the hatch being open all of the time glad its all sorted out pity they dont tell you what the cause was!!
Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds about right if there is two hours labour incolved, retail on the lock is $144+gst and acutator is $44+gst plus 5hours of labour at about $113 per hour.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
PeterKD
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
Sounds about right if there is two hours labour incolved, retail on the lock is $144+gst and acutator is $44+gst plus 5hours of labour at about $113 per hour.
Thanks Bad and you have now opened a further question. They told me the acutator had failed so I wonder why they changed the lock as well?

I think it's about time for a letter to Mr Ford suggesting a faulty part and asking if they will do anything about it. Reading some of the other responses here I reckon I'm wasting my time and looks like it's time to change makes.

I'm actually getting sick of the never ending things with the Mondeo. Back pads and rotors at 45k, front ones at 54k. The original tyres have been good and at 64k are about to be changed.
Old 15-01-2012, 05:11 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterKD
I think it's about time for a letter to Mr Ford suggesting a faulty part and asking if they will do anything about it. Reading some of the other responses here I reckon I'm wasting my time and looks like it's time to change makes.

I'm actually getting sick of the never ending things with the Mondeo. Back pads and rotors at 45k, front ones at 54k. The original tyres have been good and at 64k are about to be changed.
Yes, I would certainly ask the question of Ford. No way a part like that should fail in normal use.

From my experience and what I've read in the Talkford.com forum, there were a number of problems with the early build MA Mondeo. As well as the tailgate release failure, I had problems with the aircon, occasional glitches with the power windows and cruise control and a number of squeaks and rattles. I also had the rear pads replaced at 36,000 km and the front rotors were gone at 54,000 km when I traded the car.

But I'm very happy with the runout MB diesel that I now have and was surprised at the improvement compared with my MA. The engine of course makes a big difference but there are many other changes, such as an aircon that doesn't need 10 minutes to start to work!
Old 15-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
The engine of course makes a big difference
But the engine is a beef up version of the original 96Kw,its now 113Kw same torque!

apstar
Old 15-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Dusty1
Giddy up!

The change for MA to MC was pretty dramatic with the A/C and gearbox as well.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dusty

I stand to be corrected but all of the Mondeo diesels are basically the same engines there has not been a new engine apart from a beefed up 2.2L!

apstar
Old 15-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
But the engine is a beef up version of the original 96Kw,its now 113Kw same torque!

apstar
I went from a petrol to a diesel, hence the comment. I didn't think there was much change from MA to MB? In Europe there are usually 2 or 3 versions of the 2.0 diesel with different power outputs so it is sometimes difficult to know exactly which engine you have unless you check on ETIS - mine has a 105 kW engine.
Old 16-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I meant to say 96Kw--->105Kw--->115Kw--->120Kw yes you are right NZ about the different versions just think of a 2.7L version

apstar