Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy Brock Museum to Close...

THE memory of racing legend Peter Brock has been washed away in the Queensland floods.

Peter Champion, owner of Champion,s Brock Experience museum in Yeppoon, announced yesterday that he will close "permanently". Spokesperson Heather Smith says they are "considering our options".

"We had a 30 per cent increase in numbers from last year to this year and were looking forward to a busy Christmas, but the floods have been the straw that broke the camel's back with no access into Rockhampton airport for more than three weeks," she said. This decision has been made with great sadness, but has been unavoidable."

Rumours persist that the museum's collection will be incorporated into a major motorsport museum to be established at the Big Pineapple site in Nambour. We have had several approaches and that (Big Pineapple) was one of them, but we are considering our options," she said.

Smith said the closure of the museum would not affect their Holden Dealer Team special edition vehicles business. Their HDT vehicles are produced in the company's Smeaton Grange workshops in western Sydney and are based on the VE Holden Commodore SV6, SS and the SSV models.

Champions Brock Experience will be open to the public each Saturday from 10am until 2pm up to February 26.

Old 19-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh so only ONE business was effected from the floods
Fancy that
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like they were on the edge anyway. Never good to see something like this close but it was a long way away.
Old 19-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
HI PSI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like Peter Champion doesn't ave enough money already....... Multi, Multi millionaire....

Another loss for Central Queensland....
HI PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Cam
Stroking it...

Pretty big shame, especially after the "brock shop" went under a few months ago as well.
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
Oh so only ONE business was effected from the floods
Fancy that
Sounds to me like he just wants to use the floods as an excuse for people to feel sorry for him. Never nice when someone closes their business, but if the only thing he lost in the floods was people through his doors, then I'm sure theres many thousands of people who lost everything in the floods would happily swap their situation's.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

So, he can't get paying customers for three weeks due to flooding and decides to shut up shop? Sounds like he wants to shut it down and is just looking for an excuse.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Sounds like it was sinking long before the floods. Maybe Brock fans are over the multiple business that are still relying on his name, this being one of them.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
bingoTE50
Steve

I would have to say that it is a bit out of the way for any major support/population base.If it was in Brisbane I guess it would be a better money spinner .
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

No big loss.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

I have met Peter Champion personally and he was always concerned that the location would be a problem. He had so many Brock cars and finding a safe location for them where they would be kept clean and able to be displayed IF HE WANTED TOO was why the museum was done. It has become more of a headache than anything keeping it set up and not letting down people who did want to go and have a look. It is easier in its current location to just close it and keep the cars there in a safe and clean environment. To build this on say Brisbane or the Gold Coast would cost 5 to 10 Million which you would never recover your money allowing for the staff and running costs.

Believe me, this was never built to make money, just Honour his mate Peter Brock. But the headaches have out weighed the number of people actually going.
Old 20-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #12
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Would be great if they intergrated with the Bowden boys at the Big Pineapple ont he sunshine coast.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #13
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=67-FKD]Would be great if they intergrated with the Bowden boys at the Big Pineapple ont he sunshine coast.[/QUOTE

Reading through the thread, my conclusion was that the floods was just a smoke screen and that it would be more economically viable to move the collection to Bowden's Big Pineapple on some sort of a shared display basis.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
I have met Peter Champion personally and he was always concerned that the location would be a problem. He had so many Brock cars and finding a safe location for them where they would be kept clean and able to be displayed IF HE WANTED TOO was why the museum was done. It has become more of a headache than anything keeping it set up and not letting down people who did want to go and have a look. It is easier in its current location to just close it and keep the cars there in a safe and clean environment. To build this on say Brisbane or the Gold Coast would cost 5 to 10 Million which you would never recover your money allowing for the staff and running costs.

Believe me, this was never built to make money, just Honour his mate Peter Brock. But the headaches have out weighed the number of people actually going.
Absolutely agree.

Peter Champion personally took me for a fang around Symmons Plains in Brocks Black Monaro, I had dinner with him and several others that night and he gave me un-fettered access to the cars he had with him, including the "10th Bathurst" Monaro.

I found him to be a real gentleman, able to connect with anyone and one of the most enthusiastic Brock fans I have ever met. He gave a very frank [and bleak] outlook on the museum at the time.

To the people that have posted silly comments about his wealth and his want to shut it down - go and take a look at a power bill for the place, look at the cost of maintaining the fleet, growing the collection, advertising it, managing it etc etc etc.

As has been said, the museum and collection was never created to be a cash cow - if you think a guy as astute as Peter Champion thought Yeppoon would be a smart spot to put it to make maximum dollars, you're kidding yourself.

The museum and collection is about "living your dreams" to coin a PB phrase. We should consider ourselves fortunate that someone with enough cash thought the legend of Peter Brock was worth preserving and sharing.

If this collection just gets locked up and stored, the greater motorsport community loses out - I for one am very sad to hear it is closing.

Should you ever get the chance to meet Peter and you have an interest in great stories about Berty St, Tom Walkinshaw, HDT, HRT, Peter Brock or anything related, strike up a chat. You'll be there for ages.

A real shame this.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
patxbcoupe
aussie coupes belong here

Yep, have to agree with the comments by Eaturbo and Scott. Myself and a mate dropped in to have a look at this collection recently on a trip from cairns to Brissie. We arrived a little late, staff were more than friendly and accomodating, Peter himself was down to earth and approachable, and obviously didnt set this up in Yeppoon to try and make a fortune...Anyone who has the chance, get up there and have a look while you still can.
patxbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scott,
Agree to a sense
But "power bills,advertising,managing "ect ect
Are all atributes to a business
Feel sorry wether rich or poor for all those businesses affected in Rocklea in Brissie
Theres companies CANT get insurance as its a known flood area
So do we feel sorry for these people because they lost everything or do we feel sorry for someone else in this time
It is a shame for any loss no matter what the situation
Old 20-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Scott

Quote:
It is a shame for any loss no matter what the situation
Yes, which makes me wonder what you are on about??
Old 20-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Had this been in Victoria would have definitely paid a visit.

People like Peter Champion are doing this to keep the Brock legacy alive

To be able to go and see a collection of cars such a this, is a privilege. Much like what the Bowdens.

They are giving back to us Motor Enthusiasts and I commend and applaud them.

Edit: even though I am first and foremost a Ford person, it doesnt mean that i am anti-Holden. Heck, i even visited to Holden History Musuem in Echuca (and actually loved it!). Was better than the Ford Discovery Centre in Geelong actually.........
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As already stated above.

"Where the hell is Yeppoon" (for those down south that was their marketing promo and a song from the 1970s)

It is on the corner of no and where as far as 99% of the tourists are concerned. Rocky is hard to get to and Yepoon is worse. Putting it into the same pineapple complex at the sunny coast is a great idea but I suspect there would be "politics".

Other thoughts may be Lakeside, Willowbank, Bathurst or Clayton.

Remember it is his private collection and I would have issues with my private collection being away from me so I would have to live near where it was and I would not like to live in any of the above areas except maybe Sunny Coast.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Yep always heard him chucking up the idea about moving it to Goldcoast brissy etc. Now the guy who set it up for him and managed it most of the time. Seen all Peters cars out at his home when he was at Blackwater and is a great collection. I personally can not afford to pay how much it is to get into the museum at Yeppoon though and I am in Rocky about 40km away. From memory its about $45 which I think is up there and might be half the problem along with location. As said in the local paper alot of teh slow down for them was when Great Keppel resort of Yeppoon closed and this would also be a big factor. They have been trying to get a new resort up and going for along time now but keep sgetting rejected because of environmental reasons even after being hugely scaled back. Pete has also put plans in locally for a drag strip and raceway which was knocked back and it wasn't near anywhere residnetial. Sad really the council won't let these things go ahead which would help the area thrive and grow. Would be plenty of money in a raceway and would run its self with so many local enthusiuts.
Old 20-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #21
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went there in 2009. Drove from the Gold Coast. It was a long drive, but it was well wroth it. Especially being an enormous Brock fan.

Such a shame, but I'll always remember it.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Scott,
What im on about ???
So the bloke is a "great bloke",so he has some "Brock "gear
That makes him exempt from power bills,maintaining the fleet,advertising it,marketing it

Thats what im on about
ITS no different to any other business
You can have the worst product and make a million
OR
You can have a good product and go broke

Its great of course these place are around for future generations
The GFC has hit many businesses and even the floods of late
maybe some negotiations should be done to save a place like this
Sink or swim
Old 20-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #23
Scott

You don't get it.
Old 20-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Its not viable , hes moving ... cant see a problem .He has money for a reason , and if moving is the answer to keep the collection open to the public then thats great for any fans . if the flood kept customers away then it is maybe the shining light ?
Old 20-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #25
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spell it out to me ,then

Again I feel sorry for him where ???

Lets all feel sorry for him,cause he is the ONLY business effected by the floods ???

Ive reread the thread
So his business has to close due to floods,
People then say oh he has overheads,he is a nice bloke ???

Feel sorry for ALL those that lost EVERYTHING in the floods
Poor ol multimillionaire
Old 20-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #26
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Whats to get? He's a 'nice bloke'. Floods or no floods he was in trouble anyway. He's a passionate Brock collector who chose to put his collection in the worst possible spot, even if it was to share in the Brock 'mystique' and not make a profit. Clearly there aren't enough passionate Brock fans that are able to afford to get anywhere near it. Add to that the debate of the authenticity of some of those cars on display it was doomed to fail.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Spell it out to me ,then

Lets all feel sorry for him,cause he is the ONLY business effected by the floods ???

Ive reread the thread

Poor ol multimillionaire
there are plenty of really rich dudes with private collections that no one will ever see...... what is your problem with this bloke??.. jealousy.. tall poppy or it is a collection not to your taste......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #28
Scott

Quote:
Spell it out to me ,then
Forget the notion in your head that this was a business. It wasn't, atleast not in the traditional sense. It was public access to one of the biggest private racing collections in the world, and Champion has been good enough to keep it open, maintained, and growing at considerable cost to himself and his other interests. One being HDT.

Quote:
You're the only one talking about feeling sorry for him. I am sorry for everyone that wanted to go and see it that will possibly never get the chance.

Quote:
Again with the "feeling sorry" for him. Feel sorry for everyone who may never get to go and see the collection.

Quote:
Ive reread the thread
The floods were the last straw, he couldn't justify pouring the money in anymore.

Quote:
What would you like to call him then? I call him a nice bloke for sharing his collection, largely at his expense for as long as he has.

Quote:
I do, but this isn't about anyone losing a business. It's about the door closing on a museum. If you want to talk about people who have lost everything in the floods, do a search on the many threads about it and post your little heart out. Maybe even donate if you feel so inclined.

Quote:
Poor ol multimillionaire
Why is Champion a "poor ol millionaire?? Do you begrudge people that have done well for themselves?
Old 20-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #29
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
Whats to get? He's a 'nice bloke'. Floods or no floods he was in trouble anyway. He's a passionate Brock collector who chose to put his collection in the worst possible spot, even if it was to share in the Brock 'mystique' and not make a profit. Clearly there aren't enough passionate Brock fans that are able to afford to get anywhere near it. Add to that the debate of the authenticity of some of those cars on display it was doomed to fail.
Pretty much. I can understand him wanting to keep the collection near home, but Yeppoon?
Old 20-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was in Rocky last year and the museum was closed when I was there (only spent 3 days there).
His statement the "the floods were the last straw" is more then just missing out on 2 weeks worth of business....
In his current location he would now likely not see any fans show up for a considerable time due to the impact of the flooding.

If he is keen to show his collection the public (and good on him for doing so), whats the point of being hidden away somewhere when no ones gonna show up?

There would be no way he could turn a profit due to the extreme size of the collection. Yes he is rich, big deal.

If he has managed to do a deal to have his cars at the big pineapple whats the drama?
This would be a fantastic move for the fans of aussie cars/ motorsport.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post