Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #1
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bad Service from Ford

Well i booked my car into Seaview Ford in Clarkson Perth today for some minnor warranty work.

My car had a small oil leak at the transmission pan gasket (ford had looked at it before and said it was ok, but its still leaking) and a brake shudder from the front.

In all no longer than 3hrs work (im a mechanic and i could do both jobs in 2hrs)
dropped the car off at 8.45am this morning just get a phone call at 3.15pm saying that the car wont be ready today as they are waiting on a trans pan gasket (one would think FORD would have one in STOCK) what a joke but apparantly the brakes are done wow.

I must say im not happy at all no wonder FORD gets a bad name i always do all my own work but i thought i will get them to do it for FREE under warranty what a mistake that was.

waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

that's the problem with anything the dealership (any dealership that is) have to do for free, They won't be putting on the high prioroty list.
Old 15-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
g220ba
FGX XR8

I think you should change the title from bad service from ford to bad service from seaview ford.

I understand that they are representative of ford being a dealership but you can go to any other manufacturers dealership and you'll get no better service from a lot of them than you are at ford.

I worked at a mazda dealer for 4 years and know the wrath of an angry customer due to parts overpriced, not available for a couple of days or my personal favourite no stock in the country wait 6 weeks. Ford dealers do have a lot to answer for as i have had a few bad experiences with some but as i said earlier it's not just ford.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah this is true, im just annoyed that i was promised my car and now i have to wait because of a simple part that they should have in stock...

But in the end just as long as my car has been been fixed properly this time ill be happier...
Old 15-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
BOSHOG
avenge me

i dont think this is bad service at all, personallly id be happy the job is getting done properly, even if it is taking a little longer than expected.

however, it wouldve been nice if they did a thorough inspection first and let you know it would take xxdays instead of xxhrs so you could organise your life.
Old 15-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #6
g220ba
FGX XR8

i think the spare parts dept. should take their fair share of the blame. A run of the mill part like a trans pan gasket should in my opinion always be in stock at a ford dealership. These are always being changed whether it be as part of a trans service or a fault(leaking). but thats just my opinion. I understand why your a little annoyed at the moment. i've seen it many times.
Old 15-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Look I am not trying to make excuses for them, but how many times would you agreed to perform tasks on others cars & find out that the part in question won't arrive till tomorrow, or that the computer shows that there is 2 of that part in stock & when you go to pick it out there is none there. You who is a mechanic should know this can happen, so take a little pity on this dealer ship after all they are doing it under warranty aren't they?
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I needed a part for my XR5 focus. Told it would have to come from Germany as they have none in stock. I said it's a volvo engine, go to Volvo spares and get the part you need. Sorry, it's not a genuine ford part, so they can't put it on the car. WTF. It's a friggen volvo engine. The engine is not a ford. I had to wait for it to arrive from germany.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is not bad service at all, they didnt have a part in stock, it happens....

Old 15-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
Look I am not trying to make excuses for them, but how many times would you agreed to perform tasks on others cars & find out that the part in question won't arrive till tomorrow, or that the computer shows that there is 2 of that part in stock & when you go to pick it out there is none there. You who is a mechanic should know this can happen, so take a little pity on this dealer ship after all they are doing it under warranty aren't they?
I agree but if the computer says 2 in stock its the spare parts employees job to ensure they are in stock. The spare parts manager at the dealer i worked for always ensured the most common parts always had plenty of stock. i know this can happen but it shouldn't is the point i'm trying to make.

To 4vman it isn't bad service i agree to a degree, as a warranty job it was probably last on the list of things to do. Just as any customer though a warranty customer is just that a customer.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the way dealerships think that you can do with out your car for the night.

I have had mitsubishis, holdens and fords for work and had the same experience, " Sorry mate we need to keep your car for the night cause we dont have the part" Well how the f do i get home" ( I live 50k out in hills) to which i usually got the answer "not our problem".

At least one mitsi dealer lent me a camira wagon once.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
I agree but if the computer says 2 in stock its the spare parts employees job to ensure they are in stock. The spare parts manager at the dealer i worked for always ensured the most common parts always had plenty of stock. i know this can happen but it shouldn't is the point i'm trying to make.

To 4vman it isn't bad service i agree to a degree, as a warranty job it was probably last on the list of things to do. Just as any customer though a warranty customer is just that a customer.
I just went to buy a part somewhere only yesterday & it happened to me, it showed 2 in stock & as the parts supplier said to me one of the mechanic's must have grabbed them off the shelf & not let any one know. It's as simple as that.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #13
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
I just went to buy a part somewhere only yesterday & it happened to me, it showed 2 in stock & as the parts supplier said to me one of the mechanic's must have grabbed them off the shelf & not let any one know. It's as simple as that.
I know mate it is simple as that but at the same why was the mechanic just taking parts without informing anyone. i've spent a small period of time working in the spare parts dept and had words with many mechanics about this problem. it is a problem that in probably every dealership in the country really should be rectified to assist customer service. it's a lack of respect for other peoples job but thats another story.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84ltd
I know mate it is simple as that but at the same why was the mechanic just taking parts without informing anyone. i've spent a small period of time working in the spare parts dept and had words with many mechanics about this problem. it is a problem that in probably every dealership in the country really should be rectified to assist customer service. it's a lack of respect for other peoples job but thats another story.
Well that's my point to, when people stop doing the "she'll be right mate" then we can focus on what problems Ford Australia has, & not worry about a car taking 24hrs longer to do some warranty repairs, honestly if they did some shoddy repairs or charged for some things they did not do, then it should be mentioned.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #15
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Well that's my point to, when people stop doing the "she'll be right mate" then we can focus on what problems Ford Australia has, & not worry about a car taking 24hrs longer to do some warranty repairs, honestly if they did some shoddy repairs or charged for some things they did not do, then it should be mentioned.

Couldn't agree more it's a tiny problem in the big scheme of things. I suppose it depends on how each dealer wishes to help it's customers.
Old 15-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #16
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I dont think this qualifies as bad service, they are waiting for a part so they can do the job properly, i think thats good service!
Old 15-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #17
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

The part of this thread I don’t understand is the level of surprise that a Ford service centre would behave in such a poor customer focused way. Most Ford loving owners would generally say ‘they all do that’ with respect to Ford service.

Good customer service would to be to ring the OP as soon as they know there is no part and discuss options with him, rather than just ringing late in the day and saying come back tomorrow.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #18
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
Good customer service would to be to ring the OP as soon as they know there is no part and discuss options with him, rather than just ringing late in the day and saying come back tomorrow.
That would be what every customer deserves not only from dealers but any mechanical workshop. Unfortunetly the car probably wasn't looked at until 10 mins. before the end of the day.
Old 15-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
lubby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
I dont think this qualifies as bad service, they are waiting for a part so they can do the job properly, i think thats good service!
Does anyone think that maybe that part was actually in stock and that is was just a standard excuse for we just didnt get to finish your car as promised?
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #20
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby1
Does anyone think that maybe that part was actually in stock and that is was just a standard excuse for we just didnt get to finish your car as promised?
Anything is possible.
Old 15-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #21
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

having the car 24hrs late is a real pain if your say a ..... tradesman who needs there car and every day it late you cant work and it costs you money. they would know what they needed and had it delivered that day.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Mate, it's an inconvenience I know, but I can't call it "bad" service, it's just a fact of life that they don't have certain parts in stock. If you want to know the definition of bad service, read on..

Bad service is when your 2009 model car's power steering fails on a Saturday and Ford service won't even have someone to diagnose it until the next Monday (i had to go to Pedders to get the problem diagnosed as Ford couldn't spare a mechanic for 5 minutes to work out why my XR6 wasn't turning... very dangerous to drive). Then when they DO fix it they forget to put your air intake back on the car after removing it; so I drive all the way home and notice the intake is missing, then ring and have them tell me they've "lost it", then having to drive all the way back out there in the morning to retrieve it. They must think I have nothing better to do than wait around for a day and a half while they find my air intake, then expect me to drive all the way down there to get it back off them. Then two days later having another warranty item carried out on the car (faulty instrument cluster, arranged a week prior) to find out that they haven't programmed the new instrument cluster properly (now my car mistakes DSC for TC on the HMI screen). Yet ANOTHER bloody trip back to the same service centre. The petrol and taxi fares have exceeded $100 just going back and forth when they've stuffed up in the last two weeks alone! I won't name the dealership, but I won't be returning for a while.

So I can't really see your situation as bad service, atleast they are doing the job properly.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #23
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i see were you guys are coming from i just annoyed when i put the thread up & in hindsite i shouldnt worded it differently.

It just think they could have let me know earlier and considering this is the 2nd time its been there for the same problem & i know that the workshop wasnt busy (the mechanic that dropped me home said that work was slow and the car park was nearly empty also i only booked the car in yesterday, normally youd have to wait a few days or week or so to get a booking)

Oh well all good hopefully ill get the car back earlier tommorow lucky ive got acouple days of work.

And to Adrenaline my story is pretty weak hey compared to yours now that would have made me really un-happy.
Old 16-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Had it been my car, I'd have preferred they confirmed the fault, ordered the part and had the car available for me to drive home to return at a mutual time to complete the repair. At least check the part availability before starting the work.

I wouldn't say it was bad service as such but as stated above, I've been caught before with a dealership assuming that I don't care if I need my (any) car overnight. I can't do my job without a car.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #25
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Mate, it's an inconvenience I know, but I can't call it "bad" service, it's just a fact of life that they don't have certain parts in stock. If you want to know the definition of bad service, read on..

Bad service is when your 2009 model car's power steering fails on a Saturday and Ford service won't even have someone to diagnose it until the next Monday (i had to go to Pedders to get the problem diagnosed as Ford couldn't spare a mechanic for 5 minutes to work out why my XR6 wasn't turning... very dangerous to drive). Then when they DO fix it they forget to put your air intake back on the car after removing it; so I drive all the way home and notice the intake is missing, then ring and have them tell me they've "lost it", then having to drive all the way back out there in the morning to retrieve it. They must think I have nothing better to do than wait around for a day and a half while they find my air intake, then expect me to drive all the way down there to get it back off them. Then two days later having another warranty item carried out on the car (faulty instrument cluster, arranged a week prior) to find out that they haven't programmed the new instrument cluster properly (now my car mistakes DSC for TC on the HMI screen). Yet ANOTHER bloody trip back to the same service centre. The petrol and taxi fares have exceeded $100 just going back and forth when they've stuffed up in the last two weeks alone! I won't name the dealership, but I won't be returning for a while.

So I can't really see your situation as bad service, atleast they are doing the job properly.
man that sucks. But I guess it just goes to show you should never leave the service dept without first lifting the bonnet to "check their workmanship".
Whne I had the TPS issuse fixed with my BF, I decided to have a quick peek under the hood before I left. lucky I did. they had removed the throttle body, Yeah they put it back, but never tightened up the 4 bolts. the machanic had only just done them up about 3/4 of a turn to start the threads. I noticed about 1/2 inch gap between the TB and the plenum. being late in the day with only the service manager and svc advisor left. They were not too happy about having to "get their hands dirty".
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #26
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

If you are unhappy with the service you receive why not send a letter to Ford and let them know that the Service Dept of the dealer you went to was less than helpful.
As to the Trans Pan Gasket, I am surprised that they didn't have it, if yours is a 4 speed they should have had at least 2 as they are the same from EAII to BF.

BTW, a standard trick of Service depts everywhere is to blame the spare parts for not having the item, is a good one to get them out of blame. I have seen this happen so many times in different franchises over the last 40 years. In NSW they say it is coming from Melbourne, I always wonder what they say in Melbourne?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #27
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should have rang the parts department and enquired unsuspectingly if the part was available?
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post