Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #31
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's still not illegal to drive a horse and buggy, is it? If they ban old cars, we'll just have to make it a proper religion and use that to justify using them...;)
Old 27-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #32
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is no money to be made in taxing musclecars or hipo cars period. There never was and there never will be!

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #33
Dodge
i like to be stroked

my 1974 v8 uses 180 ltr per year . that the best way to put it. my 2010 nissan does 4000 plus a year
Old 27-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #34
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
it's still not illegal to drive a horse and buggy, is it? If they ban old cars, we'll just have to make it a proper religion and use that to justify using them...;)

Actually it is illegal to drive a horse and buggy on freeways and so forth.

Guys the sky isn't falling, but be aware that there is a movement within our government to limit the amount of old cars on the road. We are already seeing this with imports, where Customs is starting to heavily restrict the importation of modified vehicles.
It used to be that if a car was built before 1989 there were no restrictions. Now they claim that any major modifications to a car, it resets the build date.

For example: You've got a '49 Ford that you dropped a 351 Windsor in two years ago. Customs now says that your Ford is a 2008 model because that's when the last major modification was done to the car. So no import permit.
And we're not just talking engine repowering. People have been knocked back for roof chops and custom paintjobs as well.

At the moment they are only using these interpretations to restrict imports, but it's not hard to see that some day, some idiot in Canberra is going to start making those same interpretations with older registered cars here. Imagine having to bring your older car up to current ADR levels to stay registered. It would be a nightmare.

They want you buying new cars, not restoring old ones.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #35
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Yeah I have heard of a few cars in Adelaide from the States being knocked back for registration for having a different paint job from the factory paint.
Old 27-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #36
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Ok lets try again: As i see it older vehicles are being seen as a major contributor to global warming, being equivelant to maybe 10 modern vehicles each. (I understand the vast majority are driven only occasionally. However still produce much more emissions per ton than modern equivalents) I however believe that the global warming issue is something that we (as humans) have no control over. We may have accellerated the process (slightly) but was going to happen either way, So lets enjoy our cars while we still can, the future is out of our control.......... Let's live for now...
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The average life expectancy of a car in Austraila is about 17 years,
the most common oldest vehicles you'll see on the road are 1993 or newer...

So, while older cars may be more polluting, they are getting better year by year....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Burn the planet.. fill it up with tyre smoke.... woo hoo....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #39
JimNiki
71Mach1

I cry every time I take mine out
Not because I'm happy, but because I like to run mine rich

pretty sure I got rid of the last bit of ozone layer over Sunbury last week while doing some scientific traction testing... Well it works for the japs and their scientific whaling testing...pfffttt
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #40
Dodge
i like to be stroked

my 351 has a electric water pump, see im helping the ozone
Old 28-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #41
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote: