Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 26-11-2007, 03:23 PM   #1
zuk461
Starter Motor

Default AX Telstar waterpump

I have 2 questions.

1. Does anyone know where I can pick up a workshop manual or a 2litre AX Telstar or its 626 equivalent (Car was Built Dec 1992). I have searched the net and there doesn't seem to be a manual for the 1992 - 1994 Models.
Even a good place to phone to discuss would be helpful

2. The problem I am trying to chase down is an overheating problem. We bought the car and soon after becoming the proud owners found that the car overheats. Even thought the car is low km's for its age (100K) it has not been driven much in the last 12 months and I suspect that the cooling system has suffered as a result.
The top and bottom radiator hoses both had corrosion on the inside (been replaced) the thermostat looked a bit second hand as well so it was also replaced.
The car has been to the mechanic to check the head gasket and he the head gasket was fine.
Pulled the radiator out and had it checked and they found a crack in the side tank , so i took the plunge and put a new radiator in it.
The cooling fan work ok, it comes on when its hot, speeds up when it gets hotter, and shuts down when it gets cooler.

The temp gauge is erratic, moves from about 1/2 to full very quickly and then back down again. After i put the new radiator in took it for a 20km test drive and temp gauge sat just under half and didn't move. The car was taken out again today and the temp gauge went up when stationary and back down to normal when moving.
I think based on what I seen so far the next thing is to pull the water pump out and see what condition it is in. (thats what I want the workshop manual for) If its not the water pump I'm thinking maybe a blockage in the water jacket of the engine block.

So anyone with ideas or opinions I'm all ears

zuk461 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

no gregory or haynes version I know of
try ford spare parts it may be on a CD

If the AX is a 2 ltr typical ford motor the water pump will run off the timing belt

check or replace the temperature sender or instrument guage

last two things to do
Old 26-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
frdgrl
Starter Motor

you may have an air lock. They make temp guages do stupid things, there pretty easy to get rid of, if that doesn't work replace the temperature sender as 'dirty hands' has stated.
frdgrl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
fairBA
Banned

Had simliar issues my with 93 v6 Telstar. Check the radiator cap - the seal on mine was worn out and not holding the pressure. If your changing the water pump - take it with you when you buy a new one - these 2 differenet pumps for the same car that are NOT compatible with each other - One has the Dome/oval top and the other has a Square top. Had to order ours from Autobarn, took 3 days to turn up and was the wrong one.
fairBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
zuk461
Starter Motor

Default final resolution

Just to finish this tread off

The final result was we still suspected the head gasket, and another trip to the mechanic confirmed this was the problem.

So head gasket replaced, car running well

Thanks for everyones input
zuk461 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
dirty hands
Over Thinker

thanks for the feed back