Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Police officer (father of 6) shot dead today

While some of us lament the Police force, we sometimes forget just how difficult their job is and how dangerous it can get.

Quote:
Police officer killed in double shooting

A 40-year-old police officer who is a father of six has been killed in a double shooting in Tamworth in northern New South Wales.

Police say highway patrolman Senior Constable David Rixon was shot several times outside of a block of flats at Coledale in Tamworth about 8:00am (AEDT).

Senior Constable Rixon, who had over 20 years of experience in the force, was taken to Tamworth Hospital for treatment but died soon after.

Another man who was shot is under police guard in hospital undergoing emergency treatment.

A third man was arrested nearby and taken to Tamworth Police Station.

Joyce Glover saw the tragedy unfold.

"A police car went past and really fast, like nearly took the corner, and then next minute, bang, bang, bang," she said.

NSW Police Minister Mike Gallacher says Senior Constable Rixon was a much-liked policeman and dedicated family man.

"This is an incredibly tragic event for his loved ones, for his workmates and indeed for the state of New South Wales," he said.

Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione is heading to Tamworth and says his prayers are with Senior Constable Rixon's wife Fiona and six children.
'Day of mourning'

The shooting comes one day after NSW Police celebrated 150 years on the job - a fact that was not lost on Mr Gallacher.

"As is the nature of policing, yesterday we were celebrating, today we are mourning the loss of a police officer," he said.

"Today we have an additional name to be remembered as a fallen police officer in NSW.

"It is a day of mourning not only for NSW Police but for the entire community.

"We cannot ever underestimate the impact these events will have on the community."

NSW Opposition Leader John Robertson said his thoughts were with the officer's family and colleagues.

"It's a sad day and a reminder for all of us just what a great job our police do and the risks they take every day," he said.

Off-duty colleagues of the policeman have arrived at the scene, visibly upset with their heads in their hands.

Police have launched an internal investigation into the shooting.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Police officer (father of 6) shot dead today

Yeah ... heard about it this afternoon from someone I know in the NSW Police Force ... was a routine pull-over for speeding ... officer was shot as he reached the driver's window.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
phil545
Hot Hatch!

Far out, just a routine pull over, i guess thats why the yanks walk up with their guns drawn - trust no one!

New Build Thread! http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11396029

Old BF Falcon Build Thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11317452
phil545 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil545
Far out, just a routine pull over, i guess thats why the yanks walk up with their guns drawn - trust no one!
And it won't be too long till it happens here.

Cop killers need to be put away till death. No if's, but's or psych reports...
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Killers need to be put away till death. No if's, but's or psych reports...
Fixed
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
And it won't be too long till it happens here.

Cop killers need to be put away till death. No if's, but's or psych reports...
Why does someone deserve more punishment just because they targeted a cop? Shoud be the same for anyone.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Why does someone deserve more punishment just because they targeted a cop? Shoud be the same for anyone.
True and agree. Mentioned cops because that was what the thread was about.

RIP Senior Constable Rixon.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Let's keep this stuff civil guys. No arguments please.
Tragic events such as this deserve our respect. It's not really appropriate for us to be showing how aggressively extremist we can be..
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

It's things like this that just make me wonder what is wrong with some people in the world...are people that stupid and un-educated that they actually consider this course of action (shooting dead a police officer) as something that's OK??

What also bothers me is that these same people get to vote, and that their vote counts just as much as mine...*shakes head*

A terrible tragedy, and now 6 more children in the world have to grow up without a father. It's just sad.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes i can agree there... but it takes a certain type of sicko to apparently kill someone in cold blood (just for a pull over?).
Seems like these guys were up to no good... or about to do no good.
And Police walked into it... just doing thier job.

It is because of incidents like this that makes Police more and more nervous these days when attending "routine" jobs. Sadly it becomes like the USA... where Police shoot first.

Again its a small section of society which ends up affecting the rest of us.

I feel sorry for the Police officers family however... no one needs to go through this sort of grief.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very sad day indeed. A dedicated man going about his duty and to have to suffer this kind of fate.

RIP Senior Constable Rixon and condolences to his family.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I don't know whats happening to this town, cars are stolen almost weekly, Ambos get rocks pelted at them, dogs baited so break-ins can happen... and people as young as 10 are involved.

I was shocked to hear this, even more just to find out it was a regular pull-over.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Sad world we live in.
RIP Senior Constable Rixon
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
true in theory, but coppers are generaly only targeted because they are protecting the community and therefore annoying scum

the average person does not need to catch idiots on the road, stop violent idiots from hurting others or do drug busts. therefore they are not putting themselves in the same danger as coppers. for this reason, i believe they deserve respect

i still believe that all murderers receive a life sentence without cable tv and the other perks, but maybe the cop killers lose the 1 hour of daylight as well and spend everyday in close to darkness
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I don't know whats happening to this town, cars are stolen almost weekly, Ambos get rocks pelted at them, dogs baited so break-ins can happen... and people as young as 10 are involved.

I was shocked to hear this, even more just to find out it was a regular pull-over.

Sounds a lot like Moree is or was, has seemed to have settled down in the last couple of years.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

Yes, a very tragic day for the community and the Police Family. I honestly dont know what is happening here, used to be a nice place to live
RIP S/C Rixon
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Let's keep this stuff civil guys. No arguments please.
Tragic events such as this deserve our respect. It's not really appropriate for us to be showing how aggressively extremist we can be..

In light of keeping this civil, something needs to be done and done very harsh. If these people have the ability to not hold any restraint to an officer who is promised to be wearing a weapon, what chance do you and I have when our house get broken into?
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
... was a routine pull-over for speeding ... officer was shot as he reached the driver's window.
The incident every Police Officer fears........

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

IMO, there's nothing routine about a Police Officer's job. I'm paid 3x that of someone charged to tow the thin blue line but I'm never put in a position where my next job could turn out to be my last.

It's an underpaid and thankless (less than thankless since they 'cop' continual abuse for upholding the law) job and we've descended deeper into chaos at the death of Officer Rixon - a person who put his life on the line so that I can continue to enjoy mine. To those served and serving, you have my utmost respect.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #20
jackson105

RIP S/C Rixon. Thoughts are with your family

2006 Ford ZC Escape XLT

2009 FPV GS Build # 105 in Ego
jackson105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #21
mrih8hsv

Quote:
Point taken, big damo all killings should be delt with according to law and a harsh penalty given, but a police officer puts his life on the line every day for you and me. They are willing to do this so we can walk down the street safely. I think there should be a higher punishment for cop killers. If it was treated just as another murder then we might see more police killed. Im a current policing student and im paying hecs and not getting paid a cent to do it. So i think police deserve a little more respect its not an easy job. R.I.P snr cnst rixon. If any body would like to make a donation the details are below

The Police Association of NSW have announced the formation of the David Rixon Memorial Fund for Senior Constable Rixon’s wife and six children.

Contributions to the family can be made via the Police Credit Union; Account number 269978S1 (for PCU members) or BSB 815000 Account number 269978 (for contributions from other financial institutions).

tuned to 325rwkw drag tune 346 kw atw drag tune
12.6 @ 111mph wsid dec 2008
12.4 @ 113 mph wsid april 2009
12.2 @ 117mph wsid may 2009
11.7 @ 122mph wsid nov 2009
mrih8hsv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Regardless of a homeless person or the prime ministers I don't believe that a humans life is worth more or less depending on what you do/who you are.

I don't want to detract from what has happened and he deserves the attention this is getting, but regardless if they did make the laws for murdering police officers harsher that it would reduce the occurrence. I don't think this scumbag was thinking about the law when he shot dead the guy coming up to his window.

For arguments sake, lets say murdering a member of the emergency services carries a mandatory life sentence. Mr scumbag kills the first officer, he knows that he is going to be spending the rest of his life behind bars, so he kills any witnesses around in an attempt to get away rather than just giving up or running. He knows he is done for, so he won't be going out without doing Max casualties.

Unfortunately 4 kids are going to grow up without a father, a wife without a husband, a mother and father burying their son, the community loses an upstanding citizen and a family has lost its breadwinner. R I P.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #23
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
I don't think this scumbag was thinking about the law when he shot dead the guy coming up to his window.

R I P.
I agree with your equality setiments...but that line is the point others are making....

He was shot because the perp was thinking of the law... The law aka police don't get the coin or respect sometimes that is proportional to the risk

Last edited by Racecraft; 03-03-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #24
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Regardless of a homeless person or the prime ministers I don't believe that a humans life is worth more or less depending on what you do/who you are.

I don't want to detract from what has happened and he deserves the attention this is getting, but regardless if they did make the laws for murdering police officers harsher that it would reduce the occurrence. I don't think this scumbag was thinking about the law when he shot dead the guy coming up to his window.

For arguments sake, lets say murdering a member of the emergency services carries a mandatory life sentence. Mr scumbag kills the first officer, he knows that he is going to be spending the rest of his life behind bars, so he kills any witnesses around in an attempt to get away rather than just giving up or running. He knows he is done for, so he won't be going out without doing Max casualties.

Unfortunately 4 kids are going to grow up without a father, a wife without a husband, a mother and father burying their son, the community loses an upstanding citizen and a family has lost its breadwinner. R I P.
IMO you are way off the mark. A homeless person or the Prime Minister are not risking their lives for the society nor do they represent the law. By attacking a member of the force, whether it results in that members death or not, it shows a blatant disregard for the laws of the land and to the rest of society. A basic disregard of respect and a one finger salute to society and our laws that the rest of us live by.

I don't care what this oxygen thief was thinking about when the officer came up to his window, he knew he was a Police Officer, and shot him in an attempt to avoid whatever ( a traffic offence or being caught with weapons). I don't care if the scumbag ( you are too kind to the mongrel low life that he is) was off his face on drugs or alchohol, it still shows blatant disregard to the law and the rest of us.

Too many do-gooders in this world, and the sooner they bring back capital punishment the better. I believe in time, society will demand it, as I for one begrudge paying the cost of keeping and feeding these low lifes. The first politician with the guts to step and say he/she will introduce it will win in a landslide

RIP Senior Constable Rixon and condolences to his family and friends
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #25
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
IMO you are way off the mark. A homeless person or the Prime Minister are not risking their lives for the society nor do they represent the law. By attacking a member of the force, whether it results in that members death or not, it shows a blatant disregard for the laws of the land and to the rest of society. A basic disregard of respect and a one finger salute to society and our laws that the rest of us live by.

I don't care what this oxygen thief was thinking about when the officer came up to his window, he knew he was a Police Officer, and shot him in an attempt to avoid whatever ( a traffic offence or being caught with weapons). I don't care if the scumbag ( you are too kind to the mongrel low life that he is) was off his face on drugs or alchohol, it still shows blatant disregard to the law and the rest of us.

Too many do-gooders in this world, and the sooner they bring back capital punishment the better. I believe in time, society will demand it, as I for one begrudge paying the cost of keeping and feeding these low lifes. The first politician with the guts to step and say he/she will introduce it will win in a landslide

RIP Senior Constable Rixon and condolences to his family and friends
Agreed, nobody is saying a cops life is more valuable than any other persons. The poor bloke was just doing his job..same goes for the drop kicks that attack paramedics and firefighters. The world needs to head back down the path its come get rid of all this PC and equal rights ********. re-introduce capital punishment, let parents belt their kids when they do wrong, The lack of respect in the world today is purely astonishing and not in a good way.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #26
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

a sad day indeed, RIP
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #27
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP Senior Constable Rixon and condolences to his family and friends.

Will save my rant for later if the threads still open, the guy died doing his job and now his kids don`t have a dad, the wife douesnt have a husband,
Let the family grieve for a bit.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
IMO, there's nothing routine about a Police Officer's job. I'm paid 3x that of someone charged to tow the thin blue line but I'm never put in a position where my next job could turn out to be my last.

It's an underpaid and thankless (less than thankless since they 'cop' continual abuse for upholding the law) job and we've descended deeper into chaos at the death of Officer Rixon - a person who put his life on the line so that I can continue to enjoy mine. To those served and serving, you have my utmost respect.

Pretty much spot on .... from what I hear all of the time about what they deal with "on the job" ... it's bad. What gets to the news is only a small part of what they deal with day to day.

Definitely a thankless job. And as Simon mentioned above .... it's one of those fears that every officer has when walking up to a driver's window.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RIP, another good officer lost.

Oh, and as to the question of "Why does someone deserve more punishment just because they targeted a cop? Shoud be the same for anyone.".
Simple. In most countries, if you attack a police officer and kill them, it's an automatic life in jail or death sentence.

Even in a policemans job...perhaps especially in a policemans job...you should have the expectation of going home to your family at the end of the day. Those people have signed up to a potentially dangerous community service, and are there to protect us...targeting one of them should mean you face a much higher penalty.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post