Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
98fex

Unhappy Need A Job

Do you know what ***** me off the most , Is when you apply for so many jobs and NO one replies back to you , since xmas I have appled for for about 40 to 50 jobs not one reply. so if anybody out there knows of a job going please inbox me

98fex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: Need A Job

Where are you ? What state ? What is your background ? A bit more info would help........
Old 25-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The problem with applying during the holiday period is that you won't get a reply till people are back at work ... and sometimes for some Managers ... it's not till February.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That does suck. I have been through that before... when I was out of work a few years back I sent over 200 applications off over the course of nearly a year.

My only advice is to follow up the applications with phone calls and talk to the people. I have hired people in the past and the ones who call and can converse automatically rise to the top of the list - and don't forget there are often hundreds of applications, so make yourself known.

Best of luck.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Head west or go to QLD!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
98fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Where are you ? What state ? What is your background ? A bit more info would help........
I am in
Brisbane, I can do anythink I put my hand to, I am mechanical minded and wired up switchboards and have MR and forklift licences
Old 25-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate you seem to have some experience...there is an add on TV up here going on about QLD having something stupid like 2500 positions ready for mining/resources. Name your poison...gas, coal.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fex
Do you know what ***** me off the most , Is when you apply for so many jobs and NO one replies back to you , since xmas I have appled for for about 40 to 50 jobs not one reply. so if anybody out there knows of a job going please inbox me
Hear that, been getting this treatment for a few months now. Getting tiresome.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is that the company or agency may only have 1 or 2 positions avaliable and they get hundreads of appliacations (great thing about the internet). That is why they can not respond to everyone. You may be looking in the wrong area of work for your expirenece.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
The problem is that the company or agency may only have 1 or 2 positions avaliable and they get hundreads of appliacations (great thing about the internet). That is why they can not respond to everyone. You may be looking in the wrong area of work for your expirenece.
Quoted for truth.

About 6 months ago I was in the same spot as I had been made part time which I could not afford to live off and support my family with. I applied for 10-15 jobs a day that matched what experience I have and only ever heard back from 2 or 3 of those daily applied jobs.

Now I'm waiting to hear back from QTAC so I can expand on my experience with something new to learn and study so I can advance myself further in my role or switch should the opportunity arise.
Old 25-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
gtfpv
GT

a few years ago , i was driving to work , and i seen a bloke well dressed on the side of a busy road holding up a big sign towards the oncoming traffic saying , need a job can start now or tomorrow . i was impressed with his mission . i dont know if he got one , but he wasnt there the next day.
i think the best way to get a job is go down to an employment agency and fill in thier forms , and tell them youll do what ever they want , if that doesnt work , move to sydney .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i think the best way to get a job is go down to an employment agency and fill in thier forms , and tell them youll do what ever they want , if that doesnt work , move to sydney .
If they are anything like the ones around here employment agencies are the most useless group of people there is. Totally hopeless.

I strongly disagree with those that say employers shouldn't have to follow up with all applicants - it takes about 5 minutes to draft a letter saying 'sorry you are unsuccessful' and when you are looking for work the 'not knowing' factor is what can really get you down. There are times I really bloody hate my job but having been on the other side of the fence I am certainly grateful to have it - and when I am in the position of hiring people I ALWAYS respond to every single application I get. It's not hard to do and it's common courtesy.
Old 25-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where in Brissy ? You may need to look inland. MR licence holders are in demand all along the granite belt
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been there mate. Its pretty hard at the moment, all I keep hearing from this Government is how many job vacancies they have created. Seems odd given nobody ever had one for me.

Keep at it and good luck, something will come up eventually!
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on what kind of industry your in. I'm in the solar hot water industry, where the middle last year, you could walk into any solar hot water or solar power job and they would give you $50k to answer a phone.

Now, where I work is bleeding money and I'm about to get laid off, there isn't a single job in the industry and so I'm looking at other sales positions in other industries (travel, real estate etc).

If your like me and need a decent full time job, then theres a bit more to it than just applying for a job; full time salary positions generally look for people with experience.

If your at uni however, and want a job like at Dominos or Coles or something, there is always a job available.

Don't be afraid to get into sales though, I'm 20 and I got paid $2200 commission in one day, if your good at it (and the public servants looking after your industry don't stuff it up) then you can make a lot of money!
Old 25-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You really need to apply for jobs face to face if possible. It is the greatest and easiest way to differentiate yourself.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

98fex....i'll pm you with some info.
74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
glavas

my dad joined the army in 1951 when he was without work!!!!
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i have the same problem i apply for every job i can find , i have a good resume and big surprise no one calls me, its really doing my head it, its affecting everything.
Old 25-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
adza
Starter Motor

Check out the Army reserve.
adza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
98fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Mate you seem to have some experience...there is an add on TV up here going on about QLD having something stupid like 2500 positions ready for mining/resources. Name your poison...gas, coal.
Not for for another 12 months.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #22
98fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
Depends on what kind of industry your in. I'm in the solar hot water industry, where the middle last year, you could walk into any solar hot water or solar power job and they would give you $50k to answer a phone.

Now, where I work is bleeding money and I'm about to get laid off, there isn't a single job in the industry and so I'm looking at other sales positions in other industries (travel, real estate etc).

If your like me and need a decent full time job, then theres a bit more to it than just applying for a job; full time salary positions generally look for people with experience.

If your at uni however, and want a job like at Dominos or Coles or something, there is always a job available.

Don't be afraid to get into sales though, I'm 20 and I got paid $2200 commission in one day, if your good at it (and the public servants looking after your industry don't stuff it up) then you can make a lot of money!
hi I know that workforce solution are looking for sales people.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #23
98fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
Where in Brissy ? You may need to look inland. MR licence holders are in demand all along the granite belt
I am at logan ,driving for how
Old 25-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #24
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

The best suggestion I can make is to go over your resume and adjust if necessary. Seriously consider all the skills you have, not just the ones that are work based skills - many will be transferrable into other roles.

The sad truth is, if your resume isn't up to scratch, most recruitment agencies will barely even glance at it...It's the tool you're using to sell yourself, make it count!

Good luck!

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #25
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
The best suggestion I can make is to go over your resume and adjust if necessary. Seriously consider all the skills you have, not just the ones that are work based skills - many will be transferrable into other roles.

The sad truth is, if your resume isn't up to scratch, most recruitment agencies will barely even glance at it...It's the tool you're using to sell yourself, make it count!

Good luck!
Totally agree. Things as little as a spelling mistake, error in grammar, or simply being too long can see a resume in the bin. I had a professional recruiter go over my resume years ago. They formatted it, made recommendations on what should and shouldn't be in there, and basically helped me make a winning resume. I just updated that resume over the years and it served me well getting me to a heap of interviews.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #26
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can find casual bus driving anywhere you generally start by doing school runs and work your way up. you will need to get an authority to drive a public passenger vehicle ( not sure what it is called in QLD ) . it will mean a criminal record check and a medical you may need to do a 1 day course too ( you do in NSW). if you were in the hunter valley I could get you a job at my work but Brizzy is a bit far away

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #27
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am at logan ,driving for how
Give the ladies a call here
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
98fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham_h
Give the ladies a call here
thanks mate, But its not working.
Old 27-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #29
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then you should go for it!
Old 27-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #30
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
http://www.seek.com.au/JobSearch?Dat...y=50000-999999

I just saw a wine sales rep that was offering up to $60k + commissions. Keep up the applications!