Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

View Poll Results: what do u think, would a DIY section be good
yeah 43 93.48%
na, i already know how to do everything..... 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

Default new topic idea

can we please have a DIY section

pretty much somewhere people can post their easy mods, fixes or "how to's"
doesnt matter what model, everyone can learn from them.

ive got a good one that i wanna post but there is no applicable section where everyone would see it.....

i think it would be of huge benifit to the site, having a DIY section, people will go there and see plenty of good easy mods/fixes. ive seen this on other sites and its excellent. just make sure people dont request DIY or how to's because it might get filled very quickly with "i want this and i want that" kinda thing...

cheers

Last edited by needturbo6; 26-01-2005 at 04:48 PM.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #2
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Yeah.. sounds great...
Maybe people who post these things can get extra post credits or somthing... or maybe under Post you can have a seperate articles count...

just an idea?

WTD mags to suit AU Falcon ute, AU XR rims or BA 18" xr rims. PM ME
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

yeh thats sounds like it would a good incentive to post there, but may also encourage useless posts....

the seperate article count sounds good aswell
Old 26-01-2005, 04:36 PM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGhIa
Yeah.. sounds great...
Maybe people who post these things can get extra post credits or somthing... or maybe under Post you can have a seperate articles count...

just an idea?
Really... Extra post credits...
Howbout the fact that you would be knowledgeable & willing to share such tips & tricks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
rodderz

Sounds like a good idea, there are a fair few threads on "how to's" and is helpful to those who want to do something to their car

Maybe either have a separate forum for that, or have it part of the technical resources that Russ has put together as a "how to" article...i'm sure the admin will consider it, always looking for site feedback

Last edited by rodderz; 26-01-2005 at 04:40 PM.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 04:49 PM   #6
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

just noticed a typo by me in the poll options "hot" should be "how"......
Old 26-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #7
EFFalcon
Last warning

umm.
Look here
hxxp://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...p?name=Content
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #8
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
cant post any NEW threads though......and its not the easist place to find for new members
Old 26-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #9
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have something, contact RussellW with a copy of your article and it can be reviewed and possibly posted up.
It's not too hard to find ... there is a link at the top of the index page. Having said that .. the CMS is another work in progress.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #10
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

whats CMS stand for?
Old 26-01-2005, 07:46 PM   #11
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

content management system
Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #12
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

so what do u think of it? is it something that might happen
Old 27-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #13
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

9 people of 1600 have only posted on poll... give it a few more days at least
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #14
Damo
Banned

if it's DIY, why would you need to read the forum.

DIY reminds me of Bunnings. and RTA reminds me of work.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2005, 08:41 PM   #15
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
9 people of 1600 have only posted on poll... give it a few more days at least
you gotta remember theres only 100 veiws.. so far.. not man people read stuff in this forum...

Old 30-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
mick.wheelz

Quote:
Yeah.. sounds great...

just an idea?
the article count idea is great
Old 30-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #17
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah.. sounds great...

just an idea?

the article count idea is great
See.. im not just here for my good looks

Last edited by trueblue; 30-01-2005 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:15 PM   #18
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The Tech section is the appropriate area for this sort of information otherwise it gets lost amongst the thousands of posts a week this forum gets.

Certainly additional categories can be added and there is no reason why a "Tips" section can't be added that is open for posting by all. At present all the remaining docs have to be vetted before posting which is why those areas are closed but the News section is open for all to post in.

The software that runs the CMS doesn't add those posts to a users post count and I can't see any way to make it so the idea of bonus posts there is unlikely to happen.

Anyone wishing to submit articles can email them to this address

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 09:00 PM   #19
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The Tech section is the appropriate area for this sort of information otherwise it gets lost amongst the thousands of posts a week this forum gets.

Certainly additional categories can be added and there is no reason why a "Tips" section can't be added that is open for posting by all. At present all the remaining docs have to be vetted before posting which is why those areas are closed but the News section is open for all to post in.

The software that runs the CMS doesn't add those posts to a users post count and I can't see any way to make it so the idea of bonus posts there is unlikely to happen.

Anyone wishing to submit articles can email them to this address

Regards Russ
its would be even more lost. Having no real place to put "DIY" type of articles will make them even harder to find.

what my IDEA is about, is a place where people can post their "how to"'s ONLY (no "i wanna know how to"....etc), it would have anything and everything on any particular car or not. It would also attract everyone as im sure people would want to know as many tips and tricks as possible....im sure it would become one of the most frequented sub-forums

and by not having the threads locked, you will get different opinions and thoughts on the subjects.

im sure you could "sticky" the good ones. and when there are too many stickys put em in an "archive" sub-forum.

Also reckon you should make the "technical resoures" link stand out a bit more for newbies, maybe make the font bigger and different. im sure many people agree with me here. If you didnt find out its there you wouldnt notice it.

cheers
hayden

Last edited by needturbo6; 01-02-2005 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #20
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by needturbo6
its would be even more lost. Having no real place to put "DIY" type of articles will make them even harder to find.
I cannot quite see how a dedicated tips area in the Tech Forums would get more lost than posts in a 20 page thread?? Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Quote:
what my IDEA is about, is a place where people can post their "how to"'s ONLY (no "i wanna know how to"....etc), it would have anything and everything on any particular car or not. It would also attract everyone as im sure people would want to know as many tips and tricks as possible....im sure it would become one of the most frequented sub-forums
... and in what way does that differ from my suggestion? An open for posting, dedicated section in the CMS for tips and techniques?

Quote:
and by not having the threads locked, you will get different opinions and thoughts on the subjects.
... did you actually read what I said? If this area of the Tech Forum is created then they won't be locked threads or there will be links to discussion threads just as there are with the later ones there now.

Quote:
Also reckon you should make the "technical resoures" link stand out a bit more for newbies, maybe make the font bigger and different. im sure many people agree with me here. If you didnt find out its there you wouldnt notice it.
Agreed on this point and we are looking at what we can do to either enhance the existing location of the link or move it somewhere else where it is more obvious.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 01-02-2005, 09:42 PM   #21
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

sorry, thought u said in your original post you werent going to create a section at all and that all articles should be submitted to admin.

i will do a thread when ya get the section up and the hard-to-see tech link problem sorted. cheers
Old 09-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #22
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Russellw
What CMS does does forfourms use?
Uncle Ken
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2005, 09:37 PM   #23
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The CMS is vbPortal.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 16-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #24
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Do we really need this??
I mean to have all the tips etc , you'd have to find the one you were after.
Secondly, when most of us are in a jam, we just simply post a treat & wham question answered pretty much straight away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 08:45 PM   #25
FordFan86
meow

I voted for yes, this would be a great way to learn things, from peopels mistakes, pro's con's etc
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #26
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Do we really need this??
I mean to have all the tips etc , you'd have to find the one you were after.
Secondly, when most of us are in a jam, we just simply post a treat & wham question answered pretty much straight away...
the forum wouldnt be about posting questions at all, it would be about posting "how to's", DIY etc. general or not

Russelw - i also thought that the section, if put up, should be on the front page and under "workshop". just for easy access and to keep all threads that can be replied to and created on the 1 page.
Old 16-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #27
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by needturbo6
Russelw - i also thought that the section, if put up, should be on the front page and under "workshop". just for easy access and to keep all threads that can be replied to and created on the 1 page.
I'm not saying it can't be done that way - all I'm suggesting is that the content management system that runs the Tech Forum is designed to handle static tech style docs and can be linked to threads for further discussion. It also has its own search engine and indeces designed to help people find information. It's a resource much like a library in how it works and the categories can be expanded to ease searching.

The real trouble with posting this stuff in threads or even a forum is that the forum DB will be archived from time to time and then the older stuff gets lost or much harder to find. The workshop could be used to maintain an Index of articles as a sticky thread though as that would help.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 18-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #28
SSbaby
Banned

It's obvious from the results that the members are in favour of the proposal. A forum (IMHO) should give value to it's members and in doing so try to accommodate the members in the best way possible.

Having said that, I set up a similar poll on ls1.com.au with similar (one-sided) results in favour of my proposal... I am now running an forum which caters specifically for the members who voted in the affirmative... atm the membership is low but the members' contributions are high quality.

I tell you, it's hard work running an alternative forum!

Last edited by SSbaby; 18-02-2005 at 01:54 PM.
SSbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 03:17 PM   #29
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Not to be too obvious also, but you can also appreciate that there are certain things that have priority over others.

Russell, more so than the other admins has been hard at work preparing for the DM forums. He had gracefully explained the issues at hand, and as members and management we need to take this in consideration.

Some things can be done simply, while others need severe resources and man power to achieve and obviously need a priority!

I cannot see how these forums can be compared to LS1 to tell you the truth.

Please consider this before passing judgement on what we need to give to our members after 8 weeks of operation.

This is my opinion as an admin and user of these forums.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #30
SSbaby
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Not to be too obvious also, but you can also appreciate that there are certain things that have priority over others.

Russell, more so than the other admins has been hard at work preparing for the DM forums. He had gracefully explained the issues at hand, and as members and management we need to take this in consideration.

Some things can be done simply, while others need severe resources and man power to achieve and obviously need a priority!

I cannot see how these forums can be compared to LS1 to tell you the truth.

Please consider this before passing judgement on what we need to give to our members after 8 weeks of operation.

This is my opinion as an admin and user of these forums.
Fair enough. I know what your saying, Minge.

But reading between the lines in my post... where are those people who voted and wanted a tuning section? I genuinely thought they needed a forum to air their message. Those same people, in the main, unfortunately, haven't supported our forum even though we provide that facility. This is the message I was trying to get across. I'm also realistic enough to know that Rome wasn't built in a day. Hopefully for our site, once the commodore forums people join ls1.com.au en masse, that some of the core ls1.com.au contributors might take timeout to contribute to our forum too.

But back to your point... Your forum is a great forum, Minge. I can't compare it to ls1.com.au because in terms of sheer membership numbers, sponsors jumping on-board, or the number of casual viewers alone, it is in a league of its own. But by the same token, you don't get into the sh!tfights here that they get into, either. I don't want to sound derogatory towards ls1.com.au but that's just the way it is over there. And a lot of people are happy with that.

I hope I've made myself more clear this time.

Last edited by SSbaby; 18-02-2005 at 05:36 PM.
SSbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post