Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Default Daboss In Hawaii

Recently I surprised my wife with a 3 week holiday to Maui and Honolulu. During our time on the picture perfect island of Maui I was chasing a mustang to hire after trying for 4 days I gave up as all were hired, however later that day avis called to say they have just had delivery of a corvette would I be interested I thought about it for a split second 2 things went through my mind it’s a V8 and its red done I told him.

Picked it up the next morning, once we got there I walked around this beast of a car usual checks prior to hiring etc, anyway it was an auto as avis don’t hire any manuals in the muscle car's bit of a downer but hey it’s got a 6L donk good for high 4's to the 100 and mid to high 12's.

So it was my first time driving on the wrong side of the car and on the wrong side of the road as well as driving a car that's 2m wide lol, we drove this thing up to the crater which was quite a drive to 10,500FT winding roads it was quite the fantastic bit of road to drive on dare I say with my wife repeatedly saying I’m feeling sick.
The corvette handled the curves in the road like it was on rails power was there from the get go and off the lights managed to get an average of 4.6 to the 100 on nice bit road off the main road.

With regard to the transmission it’s a 6 speed with paddle shifts on the steering and even with the traction off it still makes itself known when driving it hard. Suspension wise it’s quite hard and would be too harsh to live with everyday also the steering is very heavy after a few hours behind the wheel.

Interior was the normal cheap hard plastic's that the Americans are known for, tires were the Pirelli P Zero Nero's in 285 on the rear grip was also pretty impressive, weight over the front of the car was quite a difference to our home grown hero's being further back to the firewall.

But overall I must say that I was quite happy with what it had to offer on the day.

Also while we were in Honolulu we made our way over to Wal-Mart which is open 24hours, I went straight for the car products purchased all the motor craft oil filters they had for the 5.4L get this 4.57 with tax, also a large amount of other products that we pay through the roof for got to say some great buys over here. And for those of you who like the new range of retro muscle cars they are quite cheap the new Camaro and dodge challenger and charger can be had for 35K, the signs of a falling economy 1% home loans and 5 years interest free car loans.

Here are some pics of the vette and a perfect set of Hawaii.

Last edited by DABOSS; 10-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.
DABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Daboss In Hawaii

Very nice mate! I do like the look of the new Corvette, and being red it definitely would go faster........

Myself and 3 mates are off to do an organised Route 66 Tour next August.

Any other useful tips - what to watch out for, cheap bargains, driving tips etc.

I don't expect a long list or anything, perhaps just a quick heads up on what to look out for compared to over here in Oz etc.

Cheers

Colin

PS. So has the GM product converted you over to the other side??!!

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4
spebgtsprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

more Hawaii pics please
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DABOSS
with my wife repeatedly saying I’m feeling sick.
That would be from the lack of oxygen at high altitude!!
Old 07-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeap 'vettes would be about the only car I would cross to the dark side for. Especially the C5/C6's.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Hey Robby, nice work on the surprise holiday, and the Vette experience!

Glad you're back safe and sound, and had an enjoyable trip.

How does it compare roll on grunt wise to your bitchen black beast?

tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
DABOSS
BA Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hey Robby, nice work on the surprise holiday, and the Vette experience!

Glad you're back safe and sound, and had an enjoyable trip.

How does it compare roll on grunt wise to your bitchen black beast?

tex
Hey Tex,

To be honest in a line my Black ****** would be all over it like monkey ****ing a football, But with curves in the road no chance Id say, it turnes in so much better its not funny, our cars here have very lite steering's wheres as the vettes you can feel the road through it gives you a great indication if you pushing too hard unlike the ford's before you know it its understeering lol.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
A300srt8

Yeah when i was in North Carolina this time last year i went to walmart and bought a suit case full of car detail stuff it was so cheap.Try going to one of the tool depots they have some really fantastic specallty tools.
A300srt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Bosco, I will be going with no luggage and coming back over weight I reckon!

Walmart makes K Mart look like Harrods doesnt it?

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4
spebgtsprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #10
A300srt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spebgtsprint
Cheers Bosco, I will be going with no luggage and coming back over weight I reckon!

Walmart makes K Mart look like Harrods doesnt it?
it sure does,Also if you can do drive day at one of the nascar tracks,i did Charlotte raceway is was fantastic
A300srt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Daboss In Hawaii

Like they say
take half as much luggage
and twice as much money
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post