Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Scanners embedded in road to result in fines for those driving on worn tires?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/30/s...ose-driving-o/

Quote:
Scanners embedded in road to result in fines for those driving on worn tires?
By Zach Bowman RSS feed
Sep 30th 2011 2:32PM

Here's a new one. According to AutoExpress, police in the UK are looking into scanners embedded into roadways that can detect the depth of a vehicle's tire tread. If your rubber doesn't meet a set of pre-determined parameters, you could eventually expect to see a fine show up in the mail. Currently, law enforcement says that the technology will only be used in checkpoint scenarios to alert drivers of a potentially dangerous situation, but given that the system costs somewhere around €50,000, or $67,500 at current conversion rates, critics are concerned that the depth-measuring device will be used as a cudgel to drum up revenue.

That concern is bolstered by the fact that Trevor Hall, a major proponent of speed cameras in the UK, is also behind the measure.

We're all for improving road safety in any way possible, but if this new technology results in fines for motorists, we have concerns. After all, measures like the one proposed here would almost certainly target low-income drivers and unfairly position revenue generation on their shoulders. After all, if you can afford new tires, chances are better that you'll buy them.

News Source: AutoExpress
Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #2
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Default Re: Scanners embedded in road to result in fines for those driving on worn tires?

I'd have no problem if it flagged the vehicle for waiting police to cast an eye over the tyre, but to record an automatic infringement - ridiculous. Agreed that it's only a matter of time before it goes from alerting motorists that will likely take no action if they're warned by a sign to sending out a surprise in the mail.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: Scanners embedded in road to result in fines for those driving on worn tires?

Every day a new way is developed to implement fines for "our safety".
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its not april.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Big Bird 17

Big brother is here to look after us!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if they can fine us for unroadworthy cars, we should be able to fine them for uncar worthy roads.

All in the name of safety of course & not to put money in our pockets
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
I think if they can fine us for unroadworthy cars, we should be able to fine them for uncar worthy roads.

All in the name of safety of course & not to put money in our pockets

Why make the roads safer when one can slow everyone down to a call and fine the crap out of ya.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Personally I wouldn't really care if they fined people for having unroadworthy tyres. In fact that sounds great to me.

The problem I have is the accuracy of the system. How can they be sure that the system is correct 100% of the time?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just like "Speed camera's"

fines the driver.. rakes the $$$ in,
But doesnt pull the driver over giving them a small lecture..
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A better way to do it would be to fine the driver, and once paid, present the driver with a "tyre certificate" they take along to their local tyre store and have new tyres fitted. Price difference between sizes etc would be a headache, but at least the fines would actually be rectifying the situation.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
Thornie
Off smelting

The quality they build roads in aus these scanners embedded would last a week before the road surface around em peels up and they pop out.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

.... and what happens the first time some poor bugger happens to have a tyre full of mud or stones caught in the the tread? The bloody scanner won't know the difference, all it will know is that it can't read any tread depth.... and how long before you get fined dependent on tread depth; less tread - bigger fine.
I agree with Neale. I reacon if they were allowed to fine us for bad tyres then we should be able to fine them for the damage their bad roads do to our cars.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #13
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

That article is hilarious.

I'm with Neale, people should be able to go them for the crap roads. There's always some group of numbnuts out there trying to get money out of the motorist any way they can.

Big brother is watching you.
BFZ Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

My biggest fear is that this technology wil be used to raise revenue and fine people whos tyres are 1mm out of compliance.

This rates right up there with automated parking meter fines and GPS linked speeding fines.

Not meaning to sound negative but you just know that governments are looking at
new technology as easy revenue, not road safety, so I doubt it will be used correctly...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #15
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Zz, just what we need.
Another way to make us pay..
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:46 AM   #16
z80
Banned

A vigilante would easily defeat this technology if unmanned and permanent.

I still have the vision of a burning tyre placed on top of speed cameras in London.

massive fail....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #17
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Don't you just love these new innovative ways to rip a few more $$ out of your pocket? You can be sure this technology will find it's was here in no time. All in the name of safety.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
A better way to do it would be to fine the driver, and once paid, present the driver with a "tyre certificate" they take along to their local tyre store and have new tyres fitted. Price difference between sizes etc would be a headache, but at least the fines would actually be rectifying the situation.
Not a bad idea, perhaps use the centrelink system to arrange for a government loan that can only be used for the fitment of tyres to the car. Of course it would have to be means tested so it it is only used by those that need it and not those that can afford new tyres but to tight to buy them.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 AM   #19
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Checkpoint scenario......$67 grand for the electronic gizmo, or $1 for a short metal ruler ???
Which one do you reckon a government would would fork out for ?
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Checkpoint scenario......$67 grand for the electronic gizmo, or $1 for a short metal ruler ???
Which one do you reckon a government would would fork out for ?
The $67 grand device...

Hey, they have no problem buying a fleet of vehicles like big four wheel drives, tying up police man hours, and purchasing hundreds of thousands of bucks worth of laser and radar detectors and spend more unknown sums on the upkeep of them, when all they used to have was cops who were already on duty and on the clock driving around and pulling people over while they're out driving around anyway.

Do you honestly think any government has ever chosen "the cheap option" or made use of services that were already in place (cops driving around using thier eyes) when a flashy new expensive system could be put in place that will be way more profitable?
Never underestimate how happy the government is to blow taxpayers dollars on programs just to make it look like they're "doing something about the problem".
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #21
RedWagon

It's a good idea to keep all the ****** cars with bald tyres off the roads. You know the ones, nice shiny 18's on the front, 14" stocks on the back, no springs in the back, factory height in the front...

Last edited by wulos; 03-10-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate content.
RedWagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #22
Fled74
The Thread Killa

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

-Ayn Rand

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then when everyone starts buying new tyres all the time, watch the government increase the amount of tread which is considered bald.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #24
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are defects issued on the cars ?
How long until the owner gets the fine in the mail ??

If this is aimed at getting unsafe cars off the road, it should be taking the cars off the road at the time the defect is detected.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if they can fine us for this I will fine them for balljoint damage due to speed bumps and globes popping as they have a love of those little savage jolt your car speedbumps that blow your globes, also I will fine them for my tickford rim that got destroyed when I hit a pothole new rim at the time was around $600 iirc and the sechander cost me $250. What a joke how long before some hoon lights their tyres up on the sensors or rips them out with a pinch bar, wouldn't it be much easier to get some uniformed police officers and have them do visual tyre inspections and breathos?

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #26
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

On the bright side they will be easier to destroy than a monitored speed camera.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 AM   #27
BHDOGS
Banned

Id happily destroy them in the roads personally as its to much
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why don't we just get a garage to check the car once a year, oh wait, we already do that.....
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #29
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Then when everyone starts buying new tyres all the time, watch the government increase the amount of tread which is considered bald.
Or certain types of tyres confusing the sensors...anyone else remember when those high performance Yokahama tyres with the directional tread and a "bald strip" on one side of the tyre came out? Plenty of people got pulled up with police scratching thier head and claiming they were "illegal" as there was "no tread" on one part of the tyre. I imagine a sensor would look at the tyre, see there was a blank spot along one side, and ping the person for having a partly bald tyre...

That was many years ago now...but look up the new "Yokohama Advan", the AO-48R...how would a sensor assess that tyre? It would probably see a certain percentage of the tyres as being "bald"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Australian Governmental Authorities - "We've got what it takes, to take everything you've got".

What a joke, what next; mandatory colonoscopies for a new "polyp tax"?
I hate our insidious, ridiculous, over-zealous bunch of elected socialist scum.

Quote: