NO i'd rather spend that money at the pub i'm too tight 37 3.44%
YES Id' never drive without some form of insurance 899 83.63%
Voters: 1075. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-03-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default who drives WITHOUT insurance? poll

just thought about a couple of people at work who dont have insurance and wondered how many others there are?
i mean at minimum third party only as in if you hit the proverbial mercedes etc. give a reason if you want or post a reason for someone you know, the two blokes at work are just too tight.
NOT THE third party INSURANCE INCLUDED IN REGO, THATS FOR PERSONAL INJURY only

Last edited by deankdx; 29-03-2005 at 09:10 PM. Reason: NOT THE INSURANCE INCLUDED IN REGO, THATS FOR PERSONAL INJURY
Old 26-03-2005, 11:31 AM   #2
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps you might want to post an actual poll. Because if anyone admits to driving without at least 3rd party property insurance they are going to get a serve from me.
Old 26-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Perhaps you might want to post an actual poll. Because if anyone admits to driving without at least 3rd party property insurance they are going to get a serve from me.
there is a poll, i just thought people might want to give their own reaons also, the poll results are annonynous arent they?

Last edited by deankdx; 26-03-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Why?

If someone doesn't wish to have insurance that's there choice.

If you are that concerned, then the responsibility is on yourself to insure your own goods.

I have a very good friend in QLD who insures nothing. I've also had many discussions with him about running into expensive vehicles, etc. His answer is simple and always the same, if it's his fault he'll pay, however he'll be damned if he'll pay for insurance which he may never use.

Rick.
Old 26-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Why?

If you are that concerned, then the responsibility is on yourself to insure your own goods.

I have a very good friend in QLD who insures nothing. I've also had many discussions with him about running into expensive vehicles, etc. His answer is simple and always the same, if it's his fault he'll pay, however he'll be damned if he'll pay for insurance which he may never use.

Rick.
this has to be one of the better ones from you Rick.
If some uninsured bastard crashes into my car or house or anything... then they will be in a world of hurt
If you cannot afford to insure your car with at least third party property then get the hell off the roads.
Your mate is a fool.. it's his choice and I hope he never has to find out just how stupid it is. He better have a lot of money saved.... if he hits something expensive or even better, something else insured, he better get used to cuddling Bubba.
I hate paying for insurance which I may not need but I would never go without it. I's amazing how much of a tightarse people can be.

edit: I am dismayed that there are at least three people on this forum with no insurance

Last edited by XA-Coupe; 26-03-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 26-03-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Unnecessary sarcasm noted.
Quote:
If some uninsured bastard crashes into my car or house or anything... then they will be in a world of hurt
Why, Because they will have to pay for damages, so what.
Quote:
If you cannot afford to insure your car with at least third party property then get the hell off the roads.
I think you assume that most (all?) people who don't have insurance, can't afford it. I think you may find that not be the case.
Quote:
Your mate is a fool..
Actually he's not, and you wouldn't say that to him in person if you knew him.
He's a very successful person and is doing very well in life, though far from 'rich', he has several cars, and several motorbikes, owns his own home and has a fair amount invested in shares.
He's also one of the more intelligent people I know.
Quote:
it's his choice and I hope he never has to find out just how stupid it is. He better have a lot of money saved.... if he hits something expensive or even better, something else insured, he better get used to cuddling Bubba.
I'm sure he has enough saved, though more to the point, he's not the sort of person who trys to welch out of responsibilities. If it's his fault, he'll accept that and suffer the consequences.

Why would going to jail have anything to do with not being insured?
Quote:
I hate paying for insurance which I may not need but I would never go without it. I's amazing how much of a tightarse people can be.
Tight **** is definitely the right word for him, but again, it's not due to a lack of funds, quite the contrary.

His view is that all the money he's saved over the years by not paying for cover is enough to cover most if any accidents.
And I guess whatever he can't afford at the time, he will borrow from a bank, which the repayments would then be much the same as if he had insurance for all of his vehicles.

He has 3 motorbikes, and 2 cars (one being a euro sports), he doesn't have house insurance, medical insurance, or any other insurance.
I suspect he has saved a lot of money.

I think you may have misunderstood what I was initially saying.

I feel that it is peoples choice, and I certainly don't critisise someone for not being insured. I personally have motor vehicle insurance, though only third party property damage on my bikes and cars, though I do have full comp on the BA because it's leased.

However I most certainly see the logic in my friends views, and I respect his decision based on his situation.

Rick.
Old 26-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Unnecessary sarcasm noted.
Unnecessary??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Why, Because they will have to pay for damages, so what.
That is assuming he can actually pay for it. Unless he is rich enough to be self insured then he is gambling with other people's property and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I think you assume that most (all?) people who don't have insurance, can't afford it. I think you may find that not be the case.
It beats the other option which is too stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
ctually he's not, and you wouldn't say that to him in person if you knew him.
He's a very successful person and is doing very well in life, though far from 'rich', he has several cars, and several motorbikes, owns his own home and has a fair amount invested in shares.
He's also one of the more intelligent people I know.
Good for him, it doesn't change a thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I'm sure he has enough saved, though more to the point, he's not the sort of person who trys to welch out of responsibilities. If it's his fault, he'll accept that and suffer the consequences.
No, he won't be the one that suffers the consequences which is the crux of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Why would going to jail have anything to do with not being insured?
Figure of speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox

Tight **** is definitely the right word for him, but again, it's not due to a lack of funds, quite the contrary.
refer my earlier comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
His view is that all the money he's saved over the years by not paying for cover is enough to cover most if any accidents.
And I guess whatever he can't afford at the time, he will borrow from a bank, which the repayments would then be much the same as if he had insurance for all of his vehicles.
He would want to find a pliable bank manager to lend him money for that reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
He has 3 motorbikes, and 2 cars (one being a euro sports), he doesn't have house insurance, medical insurance, or any other insurance.
I suspect he has saved a lot of money.
Good for him .. he would want to be VERY rich to play the dice like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I think you may have misunderstood what I was initially saying.

I feel that it is peoples choice, and I certainly don't critisise someone for not being insured. I personally have motor vehicle insurance, though only third party property damage on my bikes and cars, though I do have full comp on the BA because it's leased.

However I most certainly see the logic in my friends views, and I respect his decision based on his situation.

Rick.

If he were the only one affected by his decision I would agree with you. But shold he do more damage that he can pay for then the innocent person is the one that suffers if he can't pay. In the worst case scenario he wipes himself out, then the innocent party has to then make a claim against the estate directly rather than the insurance company.
Old 26-03-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your mate is a fool.. it's his choice and I hope he never has to find out just how stupid it is. He better have a lot of money saved.... if he hits something expensive or even better, something else insured, he better get used to cuddling Bubba.

edit: I am dismayed that there are at least three people on this forum with no insurance
XA Coupe, I agree 110% with you. I just can not believe that there are such stupid people among us that don't have insurance on there vehicles. It's irresponsible , pathetic , and inexcusable not to have some form of insurance. to those who don't have insurance GET OF THE ROAD, you are a pest to society.

And DO any of you uninsured fools realizes or understand that if you hit and destroy any puplic property such as a road sign or gaurd rail you will be up for 1000's of dollars.

I truly believe that 3rd party insurance should be compulsory on our rego.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid

Last edited by jabba; 26-03-2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old 27-03-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Agreed.....Ban them !
Old 09-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Why?

Rick.
That is what they all say, until it comes to pay.

Only fools, tools & idiots drive with no insurance.

Not all people can afford to have full insurance, so TPP is the best way to cover everyone involved.
Example; first time driver purchases pride & joy, but can only get TPP insurance. FTD gets hit from behind by DH driver with no insurance, FTD has to chase DH driver for repair costs, but other driver refuses to pay. Off to court they go & judge rules that DH has to pay $x dollars every week, FTD gets one payment & has to chase again. FTD's car is off road all this time, his job & private life is suffering, all because DH.

Everyone say's that they'll pay, but there is always an excuse.

By the way, can you sell me a ME amp, I'll pay you tomorrow if they're good, I promise :

Last edited by johnydep; 09-06-2005 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Only fools, tools & idiots drive with no insurance
Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #11
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Actually, that's not what they all say, most uninsured people aren't interested in paying anything at all, and sure, they deserve a flogging. Those sort of people can't be helped no matter what. I'm not condoning that.

My friend is an honorable person, and I know he'd suffer whatever consequences he landed himself in.
If you don't believe it, bad luck for you. :
Quote:
Only fools, tools & idiots drive with no insurance.
You shouldn't judge all just because your opinion differs, my friend is certainly no fool.
Quote:
Not all people can afford to have full insurance, so TPP is the best way to cover everyone involved.
Example; first time driver purchases pride & joy, but can only get TPP insurance. FTD gets hit from behind by DH driver with no insurance, FTD has to chase DH driver for repair costs, but other driver refuses to pay. Off to court they go & judge rules that DH has to pay $x dollars every week, FTD gets one payment & has to chase again. FTD's car is off road all this time, his job & private life is suffering, all because DH.

Everyone say's that they'll pay, but there is always an excuse.
See above.
Quote:
By the way, can you sell me a ME amp, I'll pay you tomorrow if they're good, I promise :
Sure, because you appear to be such an honest guy you can pay 150% deposit on pick up, and the balance of another 150% if you decide to keep it....

Rick.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #12
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Actually, that's not what they all say, most uninsured people aren't interested in paying anything at all, and sure, they deserve a flogging. Those sort of people can't be helped no matter what. I'm not condoning that.

My friend is an honorable person, and I know he'd suffer whatever consequences he landed himself in.
If you don't believe it, bad luck for you. :
Only if he's going to beat me up :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
...you wouldn't say that to him in person if you knew him.
You say;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
...he's not the sort of person who trys to welch out of responsibilities. If it's his fault, he'll accept that and suffer the consequences.
And that is quite likely, but there are things that need to be taken into acccount:
People have different interpretations of "fault", example; Guy rear ends vehicle in front, law states Guy is 85% in the wrong. Guy disputes this, claiming the other vehicle driver cut him off leaving no room to manoeuver.
If Guy is insured the insurance company takes over & other vehicle is repaired, no hassles. If Guy is not insured, he promises to pay if he is in the wrong, but he is swearing black & blue it is not his fault. Off to court it goes.
Like I said before,
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Sure, because you appear to be such an honest guy you can pay 150% deposit on pick up, and the balance of another 150% if you decide to keep it....

Rick.
Thanks, 150% of 0$ is nothing, I'll take two :
Old 18-01-2006, 12:14 AM   #13
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Why?

I have a very good friend in QLD who insures nothing. His answer is simple and always the same, if it's his fault he'll pay, however he'll be damned if he'll pay for insurance which he may never use.

Rick.
Your friend is a selfish jerk. It's not that simple. I'll give you an feasible example so you don't have to tax your friend's brain too much. What if he causes an accident that involves a self employed person who uses his vehicle for his work, and put's that person's vehicle off the road for a period of time or writes it off. Does your friend have the funds, ability, or inclination to pay for;
a) the repair or payout of the other vehicle?
b) the person's income/loss of profit while their car's out of action?
c) any tools of trade damaged in the other person's vehicle?
etc. etc. there are many other scenarios that spring to mind.
Old 18-01-2006, 12:24 AM   #14
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Your friend is a selfish jerk. It's not that simple. I'll give you an feasible example so you don't have to tax your friend's brain too much. What if he causes an accident that involves a self employed person who uses his vehicle for his work, and put's that person's vehicle off the road for a period of time or writes it off. Does your friend have the funds, ability, or inclination to pay for;
a) the repair or payout of the other vehicle?
b) the person's income/loss of profit while their car's out of action?
c) any tools of trade damaged in the other person's vehicle?
etc. etc. there are many other scenarios that spring to mind.
Whats the difference between somebody with insurance. My cousin got hit up the *** and his car is a write off.. The other driver still hasnt paid the excess and thats 7 months on. Hes had to buy a new car out of his own pocket, and his other car has been put to waste as both his and the other drivers insurance have done sweet ИИИИ all...
- XB Coupe Project
Old 18-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #15
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFDINTEDIT
Hes had to buy a new car out of his own pocket, and his other car has been put to waste as both his and the other drivers insurance have done sweet ИИИИ all...
Then he's got a dud insurance company.

My brother got hit in the rear by a **** who had no insurance. My brother simply told his insurance company - they organised the repair etc (at no excess at all as he wasn't at fault) and chased up the other party for the money etc and took it all out of my brothers hands. He didn't have to do a thing.

The other guys is up for the bill all out of pocket because he was to cheap to get insurance in the first place. It's his problem now.

Doesn't really bother me this way if you don't have insurance, it is personal choice. If anyone hits me (and it's their fault) who doesn't have insurance, I'll just get our insurance company on to them and they can pay through the nose for any costs at all... I'm not going to let it become my problem because they didn't wise up and have insurance.

Last edited by Deadman; 18-01-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 18-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFDINTEDIT
Whats the difference between somebody with insurance. My cousin got hit up the *** and his car is a write off.. The other driver still hasnt paid the excess and thats 7 months on. Hes had to buy a new car out of his own pocket, and his other car has been put to waste as both his and the other drivers insurance have done sweet ИИИИ all...
Mate, you're an absolute renegade deadsh1t. I think you should call your mum and tell her she wants you because quite frankly, ignorant asses like yourself are the soundest reason for contraception.

Let me tell you a little story about a company that ran limousines.
Just over a year ago, I was driving for a mate in a 6 month old S500 mercedes. Whilst sitting at the lights in pyrmont, some amoebic intellectual equal came racing around the corner in a hotted up EF and straight up the back of the S500. He hit it with such force that 6 airbags went off. Luckily, there was no passenger in the rear of the car but the car was totalled, and so was his. He crawled out through the back door and confronted me that it was my fault because I had stopped at the lights. I laughed and said "you don't have insurance do you?" when he started to cry. I asked him "why wouldn't you have any insurance on your car - it's the dumbest thing you could do" to which he replied "I spent the money on mods", and he cried for a few minutes more after asking how much I thought the benz was gonna cost to fix. At this stage the police turned up and in his infinite wisdom, this moron ran off.

5 minutes later they brought him back, and then I told him what the tow truck driver from Merc Benz told me; "they said it's a write off - that'll probably be about $260,000 dollars replacement and on top of that demorage of $4000 per day, roughly the take on this vehicle. Have a nice day."
They took him to the station for fleeing the scene of the accident (even though the loser left his car there).

Anyway, the car was replaced within two weeks, Austbrokers paid for the lot including income loss and sent this little halfwit the bill. Like all genuine scumbags he declared himself bankrupt, but fortunately lost his licence due to the neg driving charge, and failing to display his p plates. Also, he is now hated by insurance companies, will not be able to get a loan within the next 5 years (probably longer because finance companies can still access your records) on anything and has been before a magistrate warning him that if he gets behind the wheel whilst disqualified he will be arrested and coud serve a sentence.

So don't give me your "it'll never happen" sh1t. I've got the new Benz now and if you hit me, you'll have everything to lose for the sake of allegedly saving $2500 pa.
I'll leave you with another thought about being ignorant.
"If ignorance is bliss - you must be orgasmic"

Quote: