Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 29-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #2371
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

Australia recorded 11 new cases and 1 death so the CMR increases to 1.248% but the percentage of active cases continues to drop and is now 15.2% of all cases.

NZ had 3 new cases but 0 deaths so the CMR improves to 1.291%.

The UK had under 4,000 new cases but more than 500 deaths again so the CMR worsens to 13.452%.

The US surpassed 1M cases and the CMR rose to 5.621%.

North America will probably surpass Europe for total cases in the next couple of days - it's currently 1.3M for EU and 1.1M for the USA despite the 200M extra people in Europe.

The charts today will focus on the active case rates Nationally and for each State.

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #2372
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

First up, the daily new cases by State. SA is on the 6th straight day of zero; the NT has 22 days of zero and the ACT has three straight days. NSW had 5 new cases and Tasmania had 4.

Next up are the current active case graphs by State.

.. and the National numbers:

Observatio Facta Rotae

7 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #2373
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Western Spy Agencies Investigating Wuhan Scientist
by Tyler Durden, Tue, 28/04/2020 - 04:04

Western intelligence agencies are “looking closely at the work of a senior scientist at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Peng Zhou,” as part of a joint international investigation into the origins of COVID-19, according to the Daily Telegraph.

In a stunning expose, the Australian newspaper reports that “the Five Eyes intelligence agencies of Australia, Canada, NZ, UK and US, are understood to be looking closely at the work of a senior scientist at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Peng Zhou, as they examine whether COVID-19 originated from a wet market or whether the naturally-occurring virus may have been released from the level four laboratory in Wuhan that was studying deadly coronavirus pathogens from bats.”

As we reported in January – posting publicly available professional contact information and suggesting people ask him about the outbreak near his lab – Peng, head of the Bat Virus Infection and Immunization Group, sought to hire two post-doc fellows last November, who would be tasked with using bats “to research the molecular mechanism that allows Ebola and SARS-associated coronaviruses to lie dormant for a long time without causing diseases.”

One press release from his lab was titled: “How bats carry viruses without getting sick.” Via the Telegraph:

It can be revealed that Zhou — the head of the Bat Virus Infection and Immunity Project at the Wuhan Institute of Virology — spent three years at the bio-containment facility, Australian Animal Health Laboratory between 2011 and 2014, where he was sent by China to complete his doctorate.

During this time, Zhou arranged for wild-caught bats to be transported alive by air from Queensland to the Australian Animal Health Laboratory in Victoria where they were euthanised for dissection and studied for deadly viruses.

His work was funded jointly by the CSIRO and the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

It examined bat immunology and the role of interferons and how “bats are rich reservoirs for emerging viruses, including many that are highly pathogenic to humans and other mammals” and “many of which cause significant morbidity and mortality in humans and other mammals.”

Western intelligence is also looking into the work of the original “Bat Woman” Shi Zhengli, a colleague of Zhou who is the director of the Center for Emerging Infectious Diseases at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

As we reported in February, Shi notably co-authored a controversial paper in 2015 which described the creation of a new virus by combining a coronavirus found in Chinese horseshoe bats with another that causes human-like severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in mice. This research sparked a huge debate at the time over whether engineering lab variants of viruses with possible pandemic potential is worth the risks.

As Nature.com reported in 2015, the findings reinforce suspicions that bat coronaviruses capable of directly infecting humans (rather than first needing to evolve in an intermediate animal host) may be more common than previously thought, the researchers say.

Zhengli also spent time in Australia as a visiting scientist for three months from February 22 to May 21, 2006 where she worked at the CSIRO’s top-level Australian Animal Health Laboratory.

She used faecal samples of horseshoe bats to identify that they were the natural host for SARS-like coronaviruses. -Daily Telegraph

Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal reported earlier this month that researchers at the WIV had collected bats in a cave over 1,000 miles away in Yunnan which carried COVID-19.

Also disturbing is that the lab had been operating in part on a $3.7 million grant from the US government.

The Mail on Sunday has learned that scientists there experimented on bats as part of a project funded by the US National Institutes of Health, which continues to licence the Wuhan laboratory to receive American money for experiments. –Daily Mail

In mid-April, the Washington Post reported that the US State Department received two cables from US Embassy officials in 2018 warning of inadequate safety at Wuhan Institute of Virology, which was conducting ‘risky studies’ on bat coronaviruses, according to the report – which notes that the cables have “fueled discussions inside the U.S. government about whether this or another Wuhan lab was the source of the virus.”

According to the Telegraph, the revelation comes as Australian politicians are ramping up pressure on China to cooperate with the international investigation into the origins of the novel coronavirus. Accroding to Andrew Hastie, Chair of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security, “The Chinese Communist Party must take responsibility for the virus that began inside their borders and work with the rest of the world to prevent it from happening again. We are simply asking for transparency and co-operation.”

Australia’s official position is that the virus likely originated in the Wuhan wet market, however they are now considering whether the virus escaped fom the Wuhan Institute of Virology due to human error – a theory which US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo endorsed last week when he told Fox News: “Look, we know it began at one [lab], but we need to figure this out.”

(https://www.zerohedge.com/health/fiv...-hedge-january)

Tyler Durden is the author .... seems legit....
Old 29-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #2374
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Is it just me or have others noticed that the Labor States are having lower numbers than the Liberal States (pro-rata of course)
So if all vote Labor we will be safe ... oh wait
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 10:39 AM   #2375
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Is he Tyler Knoll's cousin?
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #2376
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Queenslanders rejoice from Friday midnight, we're being granted a 50km radius tether.

Anyone wanting to take a drive, then I suggest you carry a map with a 50km radius drawn so as to not confuse the cops.
Old 29-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #2377
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
He was great in Fight Club so the article must be too.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 11:26 AM   #2378
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
He was great in Fight Club so the article must be too.
Yeah, LOL. I was curious about why that website used the pseudonym, so I googled it.... They have a colourful back story and makes them 100% more legit in my eyes now.
Old 29-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #2379
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Some random data.

The lowest chance of surviving the virus is Nicaragua where almost a quarter (23.07%) of their 13 cases haven't survived. Sint Maarten (17.3%) and the British Virgin Islands (16.67%) also aren't great but they only had 75 and 6 cases respectively. Belgium at 15.49% is the country with the most cases (47,334) and poorest survival rate.

40 countries have recorded at least 1 case without having any deaths. That encompasses 2,465 cases and Réunion has the most with 418 of those cases.

Of the countries with reasonable case numbers, the best survival rates are Qatar (99.92%) and Singapore (99.91%) despite them having more about twice the cases Australia (98.75%) has had.

In terms of testing, the Faroe Islands have tested 13.77% of the population having tested 6,730 of the 48.900 population. Iceland (13.6%), the UAE (10.7%) and the Falkland Islands (10.1%) are all over 10%. The UAE gets the gong for the biggest effort having performed more than 1M tests of their 9.8M population.

Comparatively, Australia has tested 2.08% and New Zealand 2.61% but there are plenty well under 0.1% and of the non-African populous countries Indonesia (0.031%); India (0.052) and Mexico (0.055) have tested the least.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #2380
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Is he Tyler Knoll's cousin?
Yes, it caused a minor headache for the publishers.
Old 29-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #2381
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Yes, it caused a minor headache for the publishers.
Yeah, he was always making mountains out of knolls.
Old 29-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #2382
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
There are some pretty slick tin foil hat designs around, once you start looking. Fedoras, yarmulkes, centurion helmets... Like the duct tape wallet, it sort of reclaims the territory.

I wonder how hard it is to spoof a Bluetooth signal.
Typical, no sombreros. Racist b**ds...
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 07:19 PM   #2383
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found another link:

Old 29-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #2384
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m thinking I will download the Govco mind control app.

Every other day. So they can have one day of me, and one day without me. I’ll just delete it and reinstall on a 24 hour rolling basis.

It will mean I don’t get a skin irritation from the tinfoil cap.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #2385
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am taking no chances.
The government app has no chance of tracking me.
They will never know where I am.

Old 29-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #2386
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Just when you think how dumb Trump can be, You see his side kick Pence in action.............
Old 29-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #2387
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Just when you think how dumb Trump can be, You see his side kick Pence in action.............
Trump will be re-elected, “side kick” will be President after that.

It’ll happen !
3 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #2388
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Trump will be re-elected, “side kick” will be President after that.

It’ll happen !
Old 29-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #2389
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well we're around 1000 active cases now so good news.

Anyways you have to give the CCP credit. They have achieved something pretty remarkable by uniting us against them. Even apologists have been very quiet .
Old 29-04-2020, 11:09 PM   #2390
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I am taking no chances.
The government app has no chance of tracking me.
They will never know where I am.

Cool Cybatruk
Old 30-04-2020, 12:56 AM   #2391
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see only 2.8 million people have signed up for the app, well short of the 40% of the population the PM and AG mentioned this morning. Well short indeed lol. The government thinks it may be necessary to waste a couple million of tax payers funds on a re-education, I mean indoctrination or reprogramming, I mean an advertising campaign to get more people to sign up for the app

I saw this pop up on Facebook this evening.

In life.. you should always stop.. think.. have another think.. and think again...
To all the people who downloaded the coronavirus safe app...
so lets say you are within 1.5 meters of someone who has the corona virus... do you have any idea what you have just done ?
You have just given the Authorities jurisdiction to come and kick your front door in and drag your *** off to be quarantined...
They know who you are and where you are.. with your phone.. remember ?
That digital handshake is going to brew up trouble.
lol......

Imagine being a tradesman or self employed and the government has just forced you to give up your livelihood for 2 weeks based on a hunch you might have CV19....
Old 30-04-2020, 12:59 AM   #2392
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wales and England had 8000 more deaths in a week than the five year average.
So anyone who thinks the Coronavirus deaths are inflated are kidding themselves.

Also countries like Spain and Indonesia have also had massive jumps in deaths which are well above the official coronavirus numbers.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 30-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #2393
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Interesting to see only 2.8 million people have signed up for the app, well short of the 40% of the population the PM and AG mentioned this morning. Well short indeed lol. The government thinks it may be necessary to waste a couple million of tax payers funds on a re-education, I mean indoctrination or reprogramming, I mean an advertising campaign to get more people to sign up for the app

In life.. you should always stop.. think.. have another think.. and think again...
so lets say you are within 1.5 meters of someone who has the corona virus... do you have any idea what you have just done ?
You have just given the Authorities jurisdiction to come and kick your front door in and drag your *** off to be quarantined...
lol......

Imagine being a tradesman or self employed and the government has just forced you to give up your livelihood for 2 weeks based on a hunch you might have CV19....
Wow just wow.

So selfish and short sighted.

Those tradesmen and self employed rely upon the community being in gainful employment so that they have MONEY to spend on tradesmen/self employed people.

Try and stop and think and let this sink in.

We are all in this together. Everyone.

Pending a vaccine (18 months? never?) or controlling medication (timeframe???) our best bet to manage covid 19 WHILE also opening up Australia so that people will then have money to spend on those tradesmen and self employed is to do a multi approach of testing/distancing AND tracing which the COVIDSAFE app will be incredibly useful enabler.

Those people who have no employment or are very reliant on business opening up (like hospitality, self employed, tradesmen) or have limited cash reserves/mortgages and have work that has been put into hibernation- they are the ones who should be pushing the COVIDSAFE app and should be kissing the governments butts for being so proactive and rolling this out.

Personally I have never been busier in my life but my family and I have loaded this app. Because the personal privacy cost of my data being kept for 28 days showing what other phone I was in proximity for over 15 minutes is such small fry as to be laughable as compared to the benefits.

Its what a logical ethical person does to help society when that society is facing a Pandemic of 1 in 100 years.

And you laugh and white ant one of our best shots presently available that will enable our society to re-open business and get some sense of normality- while keeping covid 19 morbidity rates in control.

Wake up- Australia and the World is now in a very different reality to what we had 5 months ago- and it may be a long time for us to get back to some semblance of what it was like before Covid 19.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 30-04-2020 at 03:03 AM.
Old 30-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #2394
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post

lol......

Are you being sarcastic?
Old 30-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #2395
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting US Figures for first 16 months of this year, compared to last year and the one before.
Total Deaths, and deaths annotated as Flu/Pneumonia.
There should be no issues in funeral homes, less people are dead !

.....Total....Flu/Pnem
2020 876,419 76,666
2019 881,925 78,635
2018 946,067 83,610

Based on D/L + totalling from https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

Last edited by EgoFG; 30-04-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 30-04-2020, 08:00 AM   #2396
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Was at the local oval late yesterday afternoon, 100+ people, exercising, walking, running, kicking football, walking their dog. Caught up and spoke to a couple of friends who we hadn’t seen for weeks (everyone kept to their social distancing). I thought to myself almost back to normal.

But then I had this mild to severe panic attack, all of sudden I realised I was totally vulnerable, I did not have the coronasavemyass application installed. What was I thinking
3 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #2397
superyob
Banned

The restrictions have been ignored for a good 3 to 4 weeks now. No Apocalyptic wipe out yet...
2 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 08:19 AM   #2398
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s coming; you must repent or surely you will perish.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 08:21 AM   #2399
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Are you being sarcastic?
Forums, Social Media, and the internet in general, give “tin foil hatters”, a perfect platform to spew their rubbish.

Welcome to life in the 21st Century.
4 users like this post:
Old 30-04-2020, 08:28 AM   #2400
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Those tradesmen and self employed rely upon the community being in gainful employment so that they have MONEY to spend on tradesmen/self employed people.
Just glad most of my current clients are farmers and doctors.

Closed Thread